TKR Can lost ROM be regained

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Julie-Ann Where do you live, I may be able to organise something from this end. I haven't seen hot cups, what do they look like?
 
I'm in the Forest of Dean near Lydney.

Hot cups - they don't keep the heat like a thermos, but they're great to carry stuff back and forth. We have Starbucks ones, But ebay has some...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...ated+cup.TRS0&_nkw=insulated+cup&_sacat=16034

It also keeps stuff cool!

Hope you are feeling better - I've had a couple of great nights since being put on the amitryptyline at night. The says are boring stuck in the chair but feeling less painful every day. If it weren't for the brand new sciatica I'd be Really happy! Hopefully I've turned the corner.

Hope you're improving too
 
Ps I never asked - who dud your knee? It's just I had two diff surgeons in Cheltenham, might be one of my previous ones!
 
@Julie-Ann yes I do have ice packs in bed. I bought 6 long ones through amazon at about £2 each, and we keep them in the freezer. I go to bed with 2, 1 flat on the bed under my knee then 1 on top, either along my knee or draped on top and down the sides. Rather like a leg sandwich, then I fold a towel and put it down the rest of my leg to my heel so that my leg is fairly flat. I also roll a facecloth and pop that under my other heel, as I was getting a pressure sore.
 
My Surgeon was Mr Gosal, the one who did my other knee in November. I think Mr McKinnon also does them, but Mr Gosal seems to specialise in knees as he runs the Gosal knee clinic in Thurlestone Road in Cheltenham.
 
Wow can't believe you sleep with ice! I use frozen peas in pillowcases(5 bags) but in hospital they said I could only ice 20 minutes at a time and no more than once every two hours. Doesn't it make you mad all the conflicting advice?

No we don't share a surgeon! Fingers crossed you're having a better time thus weekend.
 
@Julie-Ann they told me that last November in the Nuffield for my other knee. This time during one bad night they sent for a Doctor who elevated and iced it then. After that I asked for ice whenever I needed it, and the nurses never questioned it. This time I have much less swelling and bruising. The people with the ice machines seem to keep them on all night.
 
I'm icing much less now anyway, the swellings not too bad. Get my staples out Tuesday!
 
Wow can't believe you sleep with ice! I use frozen peas in pillowcases(5 bags) but in hospital they said I could only ice 20 minutes at a time and no more than once every two hours. Doesn't it make you mad all the conflicting advice?
That doesn't apply to this recovery. Icing for only 20 minutes is not sufficient. You need to ice for at least 45 minutes at a time and you can ice for as long s you like, as long as you have something between you and the ice, to prevent "freezer burn."
 
@Julie-Ann I go back to Mr Gosal on Tuesday. I have no staples, he uses dissolvable stitches. I am also seeing the physiotherapist. I don't think my ROM is anything like as good as some, but my physio always says if it hurts don't do it, it will come eventually, and last time mine did.
If you can't get the stool from me, try a charity shop. I got my exercise bike from our local Sue Ryder. You could ring a few to ask, then perhaps someone could go for it for you.
 
How've you been feeling the last couple of days?
 
@Julie-Ann I wrap the ice packs in tea towels.
@Raffs I think throat is easing off, and today at last bladder feels better too. I finish antibiotics Tuesday morning, so should feel less tired then. Hopefully I shan't need another course. With the many Meds I take for Epilepsy I can barely keep awake at the moment. I lie down after lunch to listen to the radio, in a flash it is 2hours later. I remember this tiredness from last time and know it will pass, but is no less tedious and time wasting.
The other thing I remember from last time is the dry mouth and constipation. The dry mouth I find v unpleasant and takes away my appetite, and is probably made worse by the antibiotics, and I am coping much better with the bowels.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Raffs I thought bladder was improving, now it doesn't seem to be.

@Josephine I need advice, I am starting to panic about my bladder. I found it difficult to wee after catheter came out, I had to run tap to get started, and took two or three times to empty my bladder. This continued when I got home, then my bladder started to feel as though it was on fire, and I had a pain at bottom of tummy. My GP gave me an antibiotic and sent District Nurse to check with scan whether my bladder was emptying properly which it was.
I have 1 tablet left, and seem little better, I go 4 times in the night, so feel very tired. I am having a BM every day, sometimes easily sometimes less so.
I saw another Doctor this morning, she examined me said I could be still very irritated from catheter. She has given me another prescription for another antibiotic, but said to wait two days after the others are finished before collecting it. The second urine specimen has gone off, the first was negative, but she said that sometimes they don't always give a correct reading.
Today I have been going to the loo over and over, but not really doing much, I don't seem to be able to tell when I need to go!
Please can you help, I go to my Surgeon tomorrow, but don't think this is the sort of thing to mention to him, or is it? Do you know of any remedies that might sooth my bladder?
 
You may laugh at this, and I'm sure Josephine will have a perfectly reasonable and reassuring answer for you, but I'm going to throw this out there in case it makes any sense. My cat has had an irritated bladder, and we've been treating it with Adequan. Adequan is a brand name for a hyaluronic acid shot. Apparently, in male cats with irritated bladders, this treatment is helpful, and it has been helpful for my boy. I have absolutely no idea if this has been used in humans or not, but I know hyaluraonic acid is used for joint pain, so there may be some value in the information. Or it may be completely useless and off-topic (I hope not).
 
It's possible to get cystitis without actually having an infection, just irritation/inflammation. I think this may be what you have. I suggest you drink lots of water, cranberry juice is also good (though personally I can't stand the stuff). You could also get some cystitis products from the pharmacist which make the urine more alkaline and stops it burning. You can get a lot more information here. You can also use paracetamol to help with the pain.
 
@Josephine I was prescribed paracetamol and codeine 30 mg , both 2 4 x day. Plus Naproxen 3 x after meals.
I take paracetamol and Naproxen as prescribed, but usually only 1 codeine 3 x day and 2 at night. I don't get much pain in the day, but wake in the early hours in a lot of pain, exacerbated by many trips to loo. Because of this I find I am not getting much sleep. Is it possible to take some of my daytime codeine then or does it have to be 4 doses only? I am trying to keep the codeine doses low so as to prevent constipation.
 
Your bladder problem sounds like the one l had after my tkr. Turned out it was interstitial cystitis caused by the catheter. No infection showed in my specimen as it was not in the urinary tract, ended up on long term antibiotics which cleared it up. I really do sympathise with you and hope you get sorted soon.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hello @Majic

I'm so sorry you're not well. This recovery is bad enough without the discomfort of bladder problems. I do hope you can find a solution to it. It's nice that @CATSMUM has been able to help you a bit with the information. This is the best part of this site, there is always someone, somewhere that can help or reassure you xx

I don't seem to be getting alerts for your thread so I apologise for not being here much. Off on holiday tonight for ten days or so with grandkids but I will try to check on you signal permitting xxx

Big hugs
Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
@Majic hi and sorry for being out of touch. Problems at work means I had to do stuff when I should have been resting...

A friend dropped by today with his spare shower stool!!! He had heard I was looking for one. So I don't need your kind offer. Thank you very much though. Hope you are doing ok?
 
@CATSMUM My bladder problems sound just like yours. I saw OS yesterday, he said catheters have a balloon on the end in the bladder, and as you move it rubs around the entrance and can make it sore and inflamed. This makes it prone to infection, or just as @Josephine said cystitis like symptoms without an infection. He said to wait 2days after 1st antibiotics to see if it clears up before getting the other one to try.
@Nana moon 27 thanks for reassurance, I haven't had alerts for you either, I will check that I haven't accidentally unclicked the follow button on your thread. Have a good holiday.
@Julie-Ann I am delighted that you have got a shower stool, it will make a big difference to you.
I had a good night last night at last, I hope it was the first of many and not a one off. Husband took himself off to spare room, leaving me 5ft of bed to myself. He brought up a cool box of ice packs hoping they wouldn't thaw in the night, and said goodnight.
I tried on my side at first, but my leg is slightly numb on inside and also very sensitive, so that didn't work. I then got two ice packs, wrapped them in towels and lay on my back with my knee in the usual 'leg sandwhich'. I woke needing loo, and it was 4am! After trip to loo, made another leg sandwich, ice packs were still frozen, and back to sleep. When I woke up, the radio was on and my husband was going down to make some tea. That's what I call a good nights sleep. I feel very much better thankfully and a surprise was it's my birthday, and I had completely forgotten !!!
I hope you are all improving and sleeping better than you did. Have a good or better day,
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom