Guest viewing is limited

TKR Can lost ROM be regained

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite last night being painful and fairly sleepless. Today has been virtually painfree. I have walked a few steps with Zimmer and was sitting in chair for an hour or so, I have slept on and off all afternoon. Had x-rays and everything OK. Surgeon just visited, he told me bloods and x-rays fine. I don't know what they are giving me for pain, but it is certainly working. None is the dreaded codeine. Still not much appetite.
Love to all other July Sparklers.
Jackie
 
Wishing you the best of luck in your recovery , remember pain control and ice and elevate if they will let you . when i had mine 5 weeks ago they would not let me put anything under my leg even ice even though my leg was flat from the beggining but everyone is different as are Dr's and hospitals i have a zimmer persona.Valerie
 
@mytrose43 Thanks for your good wishes, my leg is very well bandaged and flat on bed, but a do have ice on knee, is does sort of penetrate bandages. All my tubes are out, and I have just been to loo after catheter came out, using Zimmer frame.
Jackie
 
I am so happy although in a lot of pain at the moment. PT came did a few exercises, she agrees with bonesmart and said if it is really hurting don't do it and don't force any exercise it will come. She measured my ROM and it was 70 on morning of second day, op was about 2.45pm on Thursday, not yet 48 hours. So much better than last time. She gave me just some foot pumps gentle leg raise and quad exercises
:loveshwr:Jackie
 
Hi. Just seen your post on @CATSMUM thread. Sounds like you're doing really well so far. I didn't have much pain in hospital (not much since either) - I was on OxyContin which is pretty strong. I hardly ate anything in hospital or for the first few days at home. Appetite back to normal now - not sure if this is a good thing or not! I had a spinal with a light general to put me to sleep. Had the terrible shakes afterwards but they sorted that by speeding up my IV. I had squeezy socks for 3 nights. White stockings for 6 weeks so still wearing those (lovely). I was given an ice machine (cryo cuff) to use in hospital and have my own at home. No CPM. I asked about these and they said they would only use one if someone was really struggling to bend their knee. Progress has been good, thanks. Few niggles and nuisances but nothing major thankfully. Tight band around the bottom of my knee is my main issue. So good to hear that so far this knee is better than your first. Was this one done by the same surgeon? At the same hospital?
 
Think I was on OxyContin initially when l was in hospital, imwas then given codeine, paracetamol and naproxen with a side order of gabapentine once a day. Still taking naproxen, paracetamol and codeine although l have cut the codeine to 3 times per day and take the lower dose of 15mg rather than 30mg when possible. Icing at least 8 times per day.
 
@tracey10 ,
Wow, I am amazed you had your other leg done after only 4 months post-op. I am 13 1/2 weeks post-op and can't imagine being able to have my other knee done for quite awhile if it is needed. I had a left TKR and still have quite a way to go before it is totally healed. It still wouldn't be strong enough to support the other leg yet. How was your knee feeling before you had the 2nd knee done?
 
@Raffs thanks for reply, yes same surgeon same hospital. He is knee specialist in Cheltenham. I am fortunate enough to be in a private hospital thanks to my Husband's insurance from work. Tight band lasts for a long time maybe some months then gradually disappears when you use your leg more at least mine did. It is reassuring looking at my two legs on the bed side by side and knowing that the left was far worse at this stage than the other, but now has rarely any pain, and I had gone back to walking 3/4 miles a day, ballroom and Latin American dancing once or twice a week, and only needed sticks during the horrendous winds we have been having through early spring. My Surgeon only uses CPR if someone can barely bend the knee before the op. So have lost strength in all the muscles.
Hope we both progress well.
 
@CATSMUM Hi, I am on OxyContin, Paracetamol, Naproxen and bedtime Gabapentin, with liquid Morphine as and when I need it. I had such a bad experience last time with Codeine that I am fairly desperate not to have it. Because I had my leg splinted for 10 days it was very painful, so I was given high doses for 2months, I was terribly constipated , had to have the District Nurse out for an enema then when I came off it I had 10 days of severe withdrawal syptoms. No-one else has mentioned these so maybe it was because I am Epileptic, or just had to much for too long.
 
Not everyone can take codeine, I'm quite surprised that I'm able to take it as last time l had it in 2013, l was really as sick as a dog with it, this time, no side effects whatsoever. It does leave you constipated so l take a mild laxative on a daily basis, will be so happy to get off the meds in due course. How dreadful having to have your leg splinted, why was that? How is your left knee after your tkr last year, mine is fabulous.
 
@CATSMUM When I was on codeine I had Fybogel twice a day, sennacot at night +a stool softener. I have taken a 15mg dose since and the 3 worked then, before all that happened is that I got stomach ache badly.
I had my leg splinted after a blood test on day 4, when they found that my sodium, potassium andhaemoglobin levels had all dropped to dangerous levels. I had a blood transfusion, had my fluids reduced to 750mils every 24 hours, which was the worst thing, this made my blood likely to clot, so heparin injections or similar were started,
Which meant my scar would not heal, so was fixed in a splint until injections had stopped and blood would clot again, meaning that wound finally healed. By then I had lost all my flexion, and so day 15 saw me start PTwith flexion of about 30.
My knee was also great I was dog walking twice a day, going with a group 3/4 miles a time, and best of all ballroom and Latin American dancing once or twice a week. Until in June I pulled two muscles in that leg during a faint. Fortunately the knee was unharmed but the muscles took about 6 weeks to heal and made my r knee more and more painful.
Hopefully all that is behind me, and it's onwards and upwards from here.
Love
 
Goodness me, you really suffered when you had your other knee replaced, so pleased that all turned out well. Being able to resume ballroom dancing was no mean feat, well done you. Guess your right knee was compensating for your left knee. Fingers crossed that you are now on the road to recovery and that you'll be back to Latin American and ball room dancing soon. x
 
@Raffs I too have had bad shakes, I wondered if it is OxyContin although last time I was a bit shaky on Codeine. I have not much appetite, just like last time when it lasted for a long time I lost 8lbs and my pants wouldn't stay up!! :loll:I am a bit worried this morning, bloods fine but leg numb on inside from knee down. I don't remember this last time but memories fade so maybe I did. Have you had this?
 
Majic, probably nothing to worry about, don't forget they cut through nerves. Why don't you tag Josephine or one of the advisers for their opinion?
 
@CATSMUM Thanks, I thought I would ask OS when he comes round tomorrow, Doctor this morning thought it could be swelling pressing on nerves
 
@kate23 Hi Kate how are you, as you will see I am 3 days in from second knee. First is pretty much OK now bar odd twinge. Have your pains gone yet? Do let me know the news. You profile doesn't seem to work like other peoples, so unless I tag you I can't find your posts.
 
Be interested to know what it is too. Hope it settles. I had a numb foot and toes for about 2 weeks after my tkr, turns out that they'd trapped the nerve that supplies the plantar tendon in the foot. It's fine now thankfully.
 
I had mine done privately too thanks to insurance through husband's work. Your left knee sounds great! Codeine made me horribly constipated but two doses of lactulose a day has sorted this out. My GP is weaning me off of it slowly to avoid withdrawal symptoms. Goodness, you had a rough time with your first knee! Goes to show though that even such a shaky start can produce a great knee in the end! I only had the shakes in the recovery room when I came round. I seemed to tolerate Oxy quite well though the liquid morphine made me sick. Any update on the numbness?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom