Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends what quantity of olive oil you using?

If it is 100ml, then yes, it would be ok to increase the TT and Eucalyptus two extra drops each, that means six of each in total.

I am sorry the postage is so much :(
 
Littlejem I just talked to Gregor from the Elmore Co. and he said he mailed yours about a week ago - he remembers you because he talked to you about looking for someone to distribute in the UK, and that's how I identified who you were. He's not giving out names, just so we all know that. He also said everyone's sample has a 10% discount coupon for any order.

This are his shipping rates from the US to the UK - we'll have to convert from $US dollars to British pounds
If you order under $20 of merchandise, the postage is $10
If you order from $20-$65 of merchandise, the postage is $17
If you order over $65 of merchandise, the postage is $25

1 US dollar is equal to 0.65447 GBP, so let's round it to 0.66

So $20 merchandise is equal to 13.2 pounds merchandise
$20-$65 dollars merchandise is equal to 13.2 pounds of merchandise to 42.9 pounds of merchandise
And over $65 dollars of merchandise is over 42.9 pounds of merchandise

So $10 dollars postage is equal to 6.6 pounds for you
and $17 dollars postage is equal to 11.22 pounds for you
and $25 dollars postage is equal to 16.5 pounds for you.

There. Now I'm confused, are you???:) I hope the math is correct, or it'll be even more confusing! You should check it all, anyhow.

So Amazon is really expensive for shipping! And I don't know if the $24 rate you have for Oz covers all amounts you buy, no matter how much the total is that you purchase.

He said to send him an email if you have any questions, and you can always call to order and then you'll get the exact totals. He's quite sure if you order on-line it'll calculate correctly for you.
Good Luck, I hope your oil comes soon, so your back will feel better. Can you take your pain pills if it keeps you awake too much? Maybe if you take one at 4am with the pain, or 1/2 of one, with a heating pad or hot water bottle and some of your oil, you'll be able to fall back to sleep again for a few hours? Just a thought....
I wonder if the acupressure massage that sandybeach, kim22 and I were doing from the library link, would help?
 
ByGosh that's really kind of you for checking out the prices for me and it's certainly a lot cheaper than Amazon!! If we also get a 10% off then it won't be too bad at all. All your figures made perfect sense thanks and if my sample is in the post hopefully it will arrive soon and I can get to try it. I did the leg stretches in bed when the pain woke me this morning and they feel good, then I rubbed some of my home made oil in and laid on a hot water bottle, it all worked really well and I went back to sleep beautifully!! :sleep:
 
Hi ByGosh, Littlejem.Upstater.
Littlejem - I only slept on my back for 4 weeks. I saw my OS at the end of week 4 and as I could walk without sticks / unsupported he said I could sleep on my side. When I tried, I couldn't! Ouch! I left it for another two weeks and managed 20 minutes. Then about a week later I managed an hour and it's improved gradually so that now I just turn onto that side without thinking. I didn't mind, as at least I could sleep on my 'good' side. I just hated sleeping on my back. I didn't get out of bed to use the toilet or try to walk for 3 days after my op. I was catheterised for 3 days and constipated ( awful) and I wasn't able to get out of bed for two days due to blood transfusions and 'flu! The PT tried on day 2 but I nearly passed out so she left it for another day.
Upstater - I do hope that when your brace comes off all will be well with you. What has surprised me since posting on this site is all the different approaches used by OS both with the op itself and the recovery period. I wasn't told a thing re my op - I don't even know what type of replacement I've had - I just know that if my left hip deteriorates I'll ask a lot more questions and buy an 'A' pillow. Do they sell them in the US? I'm sure they must. They're a pillow shaped like an upper case letter 'A' and they stop you falling down the bed. Put it on your bed first then position your normal pillows across it. They also help you to sleep in a semi-prone position. Much better for me than sleeping flat on my back which gave me awful backache and made me feel nauseous. I'd also rest a lot more and concentrate more on walking a little every hour and less on doing loads of exercises 3 times a day which tired me out and made me ache. As for icing -never mentioned once. Not by the OS, hospital or PT. First time I heard of it was on this site. I'd definitely try that.
ByGosh - I do hope you get some relief from your TENS machine. My SIL has a degenerative bone condition ( she's only 49) in her spine and she uses one. She told me that they are fantastic once you find where to attach the electrodes (?) - I think that's what she said. She also uses self-hypnosis which she swears by. She learnt how to do it when she was a senior dental nurse and she taught me. When you want to rest and are in pain, imagine you are in a place you really love. I imagine I'm on the Greek island of Cephalonia which is a place I've visited many times and which I adore. I imagine I'm walking down the steps from the hotel to the beach. I see the lovely beach restaurant with its bright tables and lovely checked tablecloths, and then I imagine I'm walking past it to a comfy sunchair on the beach. I can see the sea sparkling in the sun. I've never climbed onto the sun lounger yet as I fall asleep before then. :zzz: Only thing is it only works in bed or when you want a doze during the day. Doesn't help with the pain while walking about. We'd fall over.
ByGosh, Littlejem, Kim22, Upstater - the Elmore Oil sample arrived yesterday. I thought I might as well capitalise on it and get Mike to massage it into my buttock and above my scar as I still feel as if I'm sitting on a brick. Very nice:) . The massage I mean, not the oil, as it's early days yet. Smelt nice. I also got him to massage it into my left knee as it is very sore since the weekend. I keep saying it's muscular as I want to convince myself it's not referred pain from the left hip. All the prices for postage from the US were in the literature sent with the oil and it's a deal cheaper than Amazon.
On a brighter note, today was the first day since my THR that I drove to the supermarket and did the weekly shop on my own:yes!: . Mike hasn't turned mean - I just wouldn't let him go as I wanted to do it myself. I did a huge shop (£90.00), bagged it, wheeled the trolley to the car, put it from the trolley to the car and drove home. Mike carried it into the house for me and I put it away. Small steps but significant. Love to all :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: x Ros Oh and yes - we're going to have a little heatwave here in the UK this weekend - thank goodness I don't have to wear the horrible stockings
 
Nylsor I'm with you!! I do not know what type of hip I have. I am very curious about some having no restrictions...different time limits on restrictions.....is it just surgeon's personal preference? Mine doesn't believe in PT. I do have restrictions though. Ice wasn't stressed for me, either. I need to develop a list of questions for the 9th. :puppysmooze:
 
Mine doesn't believe in PT.​
It is just not an OS preferance but an individual one also. Josephine says that unlike knees that hips work themselves out. I personally felt PT was awesome and gave me a lot of ROM. Upstater ice is great, I not only read it here first, but in the hospital they kept me iced just about 24/7. It helps with pain and the swellening, on those days that I overdo it I certainly grab the ice packs out of the freezer (also serves as a cool down in this darn humidity that we are having) LOL Don't wait to long to develope that list as in about 5 more days you will be asking away and you don't want to leave the important stuff out. I left a piece a paper near the computer (still do) and jot down a question then I re-write it to take with me.
 
Nylsor I hate with a passion lying on my back so will speak with my OS when I see him at 6 weeks as I'm not using a cane/stick to walk round the house at all now! I slept on my side from 11 weeks last time but it felt better to sleep on my unoperated side as the scar still felt sore to lie on but I guess I got used to it.
 
Hi Littlejem Nylsor Liveringer Upstater I think each OS has their own way of handling restrictions depending on the type of surgery you had, what condition your hip was in when they got in there and how difficult the surgery was, and probably their own quirks, too. They all seem to have something unique to them. I'd say the best thing to do is to follow whatever your own tells you, as he knows what's inside your better than anybody. And ask if you're wondering about anything, just like we've all done.
I agree that you should check with the OS about being able to change your sleeping position Littlejem - especially since you're having a hard time and more pain on your back. I'm so glad the oil and heating pad helped you sleep! Did you make it stronger, like Poppet said? She said you could add 2 more drops of the tea tree and the eucalyptus, didn't she? I like the oil, and just ordered some myself. I figure I'll give the roll-on to my daughter who coaches, teaches gymnastics and does cheerleading, as she's always sore. And I'll keep the bottle of oil for myself, and whoever else in the house needs it sometimes.

Nylsor Your little self-hypnosis made me feel so relaxed! It sounds like just the place I love - the ocean, the sun, the relaxing on a beach chair... It's great that it works so well for you! It reminded me of Kylesh and her new thread Virtual Kayak Trip - she take us on an imaginery ride. It's great - you should check out the thread. She just posted a new trip. And thanks Kylesh for your well wishes of a wonderful day - I hope you enjoy your Fourth, too!:)

I think the TENS machine helps some. It's still soon, I've tried it twice. It's designed to wear all the time, they said, but I'm concerned that if I wear it, and there's little pain, I may do too much and when I take it off - like to shower and go to bed, everything will be inflammed... I'll have to experiment a little.
Congratulations on doing the weekly shopping Nylsor Wow, that's a big deal. Little by little life is returning to normal for you and you can do more and more. That's great. And glad hubby rubby-ed your backside with the Elmore Oil :) - the more you use it, the better it works, as the antinflammatory properties in it must build up. (Tell him that it works even better if it's massaged in, too)

Upstater Liveringer I swear by ice. The more I use it, the better I feel. It really numbs the pain, and reduces the inflammation and swelling. I think it's a really important part of pain management - at least for me.
Upstater - is your new avatar a picture of the Disney castle? I've never been there, but believe I recognize it.
 
ByGosh Yes that is the castle at Disney World. Seeing it at Christmas was on my bucket list. So last December I did. It was so painful walking around the park! I think the new hip should be an excuse to go back.....and walk walk walk....hmmmm
 
Perfect excuse to go back! But who needs an excuse? You'll enjoy it much more the next time around. Tell Cinderella I said hi - she's my favorite.
 
Nylsor & ByGosh even though the pain when lying on my back is really bad, I wouldn't try lying on my side unless my OS says it's ok, I so want to though!!! I also think that maybe I'm not taking enough pain meds, yesterday I probably only had 2-3 paracetamol, no strong meds, maybe I need to rethink it and take more even? I had a bit of a blub this morning, I was tired but couldn't get comfy with the aches and pains and was feeling incredibly sorry for myself :boohoo:
 
Littlejem, yes it does seem like you are not ready to reduce your meds if your are feeling pain etc. It is only three and a bit weeks for hip two and just a few months for hip one.

Two major surgeries in under three months hon.. :)
 
Littlejem - aah you poor thing. And don't worry about taking pain meds. I still take the occasional one when I feel incredibly achey - if you need them, take them. I'm not going to live in pain when I can relieve it. I had quite enough of that pre-op. And as for the weeping - please, please, don't worry. Crying was what made me post on this site in the first place. I cried every day for weeks and I hadn't had the amount of surgery you've had - search Nylsor and you can read my thread. I haven't posted on it for ages because after one week on this site and the incredible amount of info and support I received from other contributors, I stopped crying altogether. There are two very good articles in the library on this site relating to emotional issues ( we are told nothing about this and it's common after THR) and also the taking of painkillers ( lots of myths) - please read them and you'll relieve a lot of your worries. And you are absolutely correct - don't lay on your side until your OS gives you the OK. Mine did but it was too sore to lie on anyway. You may like to to try an A-pillow, they're available widely in the UK, and cost about £15 - £20. It will give you some support and take the strain off your back. Kind wishes and try and enjoy the sunshine - can you believe it - hotter then Spain! :flwrysmile: Ros x
 
Littlejem Here's another instance of confusing surgeon advice. I was told from the start post-op that I could sleep on my good side, as long as I had two pillows between my legs to keep my top, operated leg from breaking through the midline. I was too sore to try rolling over for a few weeks, but it might be worth a call or email to your surgeon's office to find out. It does help the back pain. I do it for a few hours every night, still using pillows.
 
ByGosh My son was flipping the remote this afternoon and someone was on Dr. Oz demonstrating how to use a TENS machine for pain relief. It was the end of the segment so I don't have info to share, but they usually run those shows again on his website if you are interested.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom