Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Littlejem At my pre op he said because I was young lol I should be able to return in 3 weeks. Post surgery I was informed my case was 2nd hardest he ever did. Whatever he was attaching the socket to was much more flat than what was normal. Hence the high risk for dislocation and brace. Lucky me.
 
Hello Upstater First, I forgot to tell you that the Elmore Oil is sold in many stores in upstate NY, I was told by the gentleman who owns the US company, Gregor. If you call him, you may find a store near you, just like Liveringer did- she lives in upstate, too. Then you don't have to pay shipping. But you should still order your free sample just to try it - it's a bit pricey and why not use a little for free and make sure it's something you like? I like it.
1-877-230-9527 is the toll free # and mention our on-line forum, so he knows we're all connected.
Secondly, I think we had postings that crossed each other, because I posted about having two hips done at once. I didn't know any better. Simple. I knew they were both wearing out, but the left was definately worse. An OS I went to who told me I needed them done, said to do both at once. He's someone I know a little personally, as our children went to the same elementary school, and his wife and I were PTO officers together, etc. So I had a little bit of a relationship with him, and I just trusted what he said. I think it would have been ok, except I didn't use him for the surgery, and now I have this pain issue, which may or may not be related to having them both done at the same time. I don't know - maybe more stress because there's no good leg to help out, so both can get over-worked, instead of the 'good' un-op one bearing the brunt?
Littlejem Your ice chapel window is beautiful. It is almost surreal, no wonder it was a calming, soothing place to visit. How's your back? Are you sleeping any better? Do you think your oil is helping? Poppet said the Elmore brand has a higher concentration of the ingredients that the homemade recipe. You can probably use your more times a day - as the instructions on the Elmore said it can be applied more often than 2xday - there's no limit. I like the Elmore Oil - I find that it reduces the pain a bit for a while. And it doesn't smell awful, and the smell doesn't linger like some of the linaments and ointments at the drug stores do. No smell on the clothes after, either. I'll have to order it, as there are no stores in my state that sell it.
SeaSiren Yes! Judie's! I love it there! We went last summer, too, to look at the colleges there for my daughter. I really like the area. I wish she had chosen one of the 5 schools there. She didn't like Mt. Holyoke because it was all girls (I did :)), UMass is way too big now, Smith and Amherst are really hard to get into -too selective, and we never got around to looking at Hampshire this time. I have seen it and it's nice, quite different. I loved the college search, loved visiting the different schools, seeing the campuses and the architecture. It was all so interesting to me.
Good luck with your OS appt. tomorrow. I hope the hip is OK and you get your steroid in your bursitis, so it's better.
LeeApril26 TennisNut SeaSiren Guess what? I got a TENS machine today. Hooray! It's really because of you three hip sisters that I got it.
First, TennisNut recommended the brand, and I got the info from the company about who provided them here, and then SeaSiren - you raved about yours, as did TennisNut, which was very encouraging. And LeeApril26 your support last week, your use of one, and the very sensible way you stated for me to call them and what to say, reinforced what I had said to them in my first attempt before that. But when I called the first time, before you said anything, and they didn't return my call, I just figured it was because he would want to manipulate my spine, and turn me into a patient of his. But your post actually helped me to pursue it again, and it worked out fine. He was perfectly willing to do a quick, easy evaluation, to understand my soft tissue pain, explain how to use it, call insurance to see if they covered it, and then he prescribed it to me. So now I have one. That's one achievement. I hope it helps the pain until I can pursue the cause of it further. Thank you ladies, for the information, the support and encouragement. I couldn't have done it without you! :friends: :friends:

Now to figure it out....
 
I think there's benefits to both ways of replacing both hips. If you get them done together, you don't have to go through two surgeries and two recoveries. The only way I know is two surgeries and I didn't really think the recoveries were that bad. I was happy that I had one un-operated leg to rely on for the first one and by the time I had my second surgery I could depend on my first hip replacement. My OS said he wouldn't do them together either and that 6 weeks apart was the soonest he would do them. He didn't think I would want them done that close once I had my first one done. He didn't realize how much pain I was in because I was happy to have them that close.
 
How's your back? Are you sleeping any better? Do you think your oil is helping? Poppet said the Elmore brand has a higher concentration of the ingredients that the homemade recipe. You can probably use your more times a day - as the instructions on the Elmore said it can be applied more often than 2xday - there's no limit.
My back is a little easier but is still fairly painfully in the early hours and wakes me regularly. I haven't had my free sample yet but I have been using poppets recipe, it feels good when I rub it on but I'm not convinced it would allow me to go back to sleep, maybe I should try it?
 
Littlejem I have missed a lot not being on here more. Where does your back hurt? Is it just your body realigning since surgery? I had back pain and my PT said to lay in bed, point toes towards the ceiling and stretch your leg, one at a time as long as you can and hold for 5 seconds. Do that a few times and see if that helps. My back pain was low and in the middle.
 
Littlejem... I believe the proprietary blend of the Purchased oil is better than my recipe, because they have higher % concentrations of each.. I thought the vanilla was added for the perfume effect, but my research has shown that it has anti inflammatory benefits as well... Something I didn't know..

Try the samples, on your back and see if you get any relief. I am sure the company will send more samples... I will be talking with them again after I have read their research papers xx
 
Littlejem Poppet just wrote her opinion of the Elmore Oil and it was very favorable. She uses it every hour on her hands at work - she said there's no restrictions if you don't have a sensitivity to it.
I think you should try whatever you can for the back pain. Try your oil, it can't hurt, use heat after and see if it's more effective. Keep a cold ice pak by your bed and try that, too. As sandybeach said, it could be your back getting used to the new hip. And laying on it all night doesn't help. Those muscles must get sore. Can you sit up for a little while, and rub it, too? It's terrible that it's bothering you so much and you can't get decent sleep. And you're restricted to your back for 12 weeks? Oh, dear. Maybe they'll allow you to side sleep before then if you tell them the problem. Even a few weeks less would be better. You must be feeling very tired out by now, over 2 weeks with poor sleep and pain at night.. That's very tough.
Try those stretching exercises that sandybeach gave you. Maybe they'll help, too. Good luck with it. I know what it's like to have pain that doesn't quit. It's dreadful!:sorry:
 
ByGosh yipeeee your TENS machine! You kept all that quite a secret while you were working on it...You will figure it out, and I hope it works wonders while you get the root cause of the pain. :)

I was taught in high school how to use dress patterns and a sewing machine, and make simple clothes.
Did you have Home Ec too? I skipped that, but my sister took it for a flying freebie credit LOL. "13 delicious desserts" was our favorite part of her class. (I skipped typing too, and as my mother warned, I've regretted it ever since LOL)
 
ByGosh -- Yea.....I m glad that you finally found someone to help you get the TENS machine. I hope that it helps. I know I still need to post the details of my kayak trip, but I had to work on a class to keep my facilitator certification. I totally forgot about it until I got the course closure notice and I still had 3 modules to complete before it closed today. I will post soon, I promise.
 
ByGosh, I sure hope that TENS machine helps your pain, you deserve it! And may I point out it is hard to keep up with your thread...it is very busy! I love it....I've missed being on here the last several days, it's like having our own personal support group available whenever needed right in our home! :)
 
Littlejem sandybeach I am having the same low back pain. Also think it's from the back sleeping restriction. Can't do the usual stretching due to restrictions. Can you explain that stretching again? I'm not getting the stretch leg part. Do we lift leg?
 
zauberflöte We had sewing and cooking in Home Economics. Lots of cookies to be sent to the soldiers in the Vietnam War, I remember. They were good. I love homemade cookies, don't you?

Kylesh There's no rush on your kayak trip tale. Take care of what you have to do for your certification first and whenever you have the time, you can come on-line and entertain us a little. Don't worry, we'll still be here!:)


sqwerlie Hi there! How's everything going with your new hip? I remember you were in sleeping mode recently, I see you woke up. How's the planting, the kids, the pain, your appetite, the PT, and whatever else is going on?
I'm glad I got the TENS, too. Now I have to figure out about the electrode placement and I hope it helps! It's nice and small and portable and seems to work fine.
Yes, everyone has been very kind and supportive here. It's very helpful! Not only do you guys give emotional support, but there's lots of information we get from each other that's useful in this THR journey. I'd be lost without all of this. I'd be sitting here, wondering what's normal, what to expect, what's wrong with me (still do), wondering what to do about it, who to talk to....on and on. At least we can bounce ideas off of each other, get some feedback, see things from different perspectives, try new ideas out, get free samples of Elmore Oil (did you get yours yet? It works great.) figure out TENS machines, joke about the Canadian PT and see if he's bringing chocolate covered strawberries and diamonds to a lady on a farm in the midwest who greets him at the door in her pjs, and on and on.... It's great!:) Don't you agree?
 
Oh, great news, ByGosh. I'm so happy you were able to get the TENS machine. I hope it helps. I found it useful to distract from the bone on bone pain. I think I mentioned that my PT has been using Stim, which is like a TENS, it help with the tightness near my incision and it seems to be helping. I just pulled mine out from the back of the closet to use it while I am on a break from PT.
 
sandybeach thanks for passing on the exercise, I'll try it tonight see if it helps, I'll try anything. I'm tired in the morning and want to keep sleeping but it aches so much and I just can't get comfy. The pain is very low back/top of my bottom, and tends to be middle to over to the side of my new surgery and into my bottom. It feels good to rub the oil in and the massaging does give temporary relief, does that sound like muscle inflammation Poppet rather than a bone problem? I'm not a good sleeper at the best of times, I can get to sleep normally quite easily but need the conditions to be right to stay asleep and waking at 3-4am with pain isn't good. Thanks for your concern ByGosh, I did start side sleeping a week early last time but I guessing I shouldn't do it too soon, I see my OS in about 4 weeks so I'll check it with him then. I haven't had my sample of Elmore yet :sad: I've just looked online and I can buy from Amazon for £21 but the postage is £23! I'd need to know it would really work to pay that much for it, I can't believe it would cost £23 in postage, surely!! :boohoo:
So glad you got your tens machine sorted out and I really hope it helps, you deserve to have some good news about this for a change. Keep us posted and remember we are NOT fed up of hearing about it so please don't ever think we are.:friends: :console2:
 
Littlejem, why not contact the company direct in OZ.. They told me they are sending it all over the world.. International folk even ring them up.. They have a regular lady ringing them from Ireland! :)

Did you have a bad back pre surgery?
 
Thanks Poppet I've just looked on their site and to ship from OZ is $24 which is a little cheaper so if/when the sample arrives and I can try then it would be cheaper to order it this way. I hadn't had any real problems in that area of my back, only higher up where I had a back fusion last year.
 
Oh that's good.. I am not sure of the conversion rate?

It does sound like referred muscular and soft tissue pain in that case. Let me know what difference the actual proprietary oil helps when you get it.

I would suggest applying your home made oil at night with a heat pack when you go to bed.. See if that helps you to sleep better :) Tag me and let me know :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom