Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Littlejem Sometimes it just feels good to have a good cry. After all that you have been through you deserve it. I know I have days of being down and sometimes I just want to feel down and sorry for myself for a little while. I hope it made you feel better and now you're back to yourself again. :console2:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral
    image.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 115
Oh that's wonderful, getting out for a bit of socializing is a big milestone, life will get better and return to normal activities..

I loved the English Pubs :)
 
Littlejem So glad you feel better! :) Going to the pub must have perked you up, seeing everybody and taking your mind off of everything. I find it's very easy to cry when I'm tired and in pain - both of those together just make me lose myself. And you've been both tired and in pain, from your back acting up at night. You should take some pain medication when you wake up early with the backache - you'll probably be able to get a few more hours of nice, restful sleep. Like Nylsor said, why suffer if you can relieve it?
Waking up in pain, being restless, tired, squirmy, tense and upset, probably makes it all the more painful, too. Keep your nice homemade oil near you and a heating pad, and your pain pills, and use them when you wake up.
Maybe the A pillow that Nylsor mentioned is worth considering?
 
LeeApril26 I'll have to look up that show about the TENS machine. The more information, the better. I think mine is doing something. It seems to help keep the pain at bay when it's on, but I'm being careful not to do too much activity, as I'm afraid how I'll feel when I take it off - in case I overdo it because I'm not feeling pain. It doesn't heal or cure anything, they said, it just helps pain. But that's good, too.
Thanks for the info!
Do you believe this heat and humidity? There's no activity out in the neighborhoods - it's too hot. Everyone must be either indoors, or gone. It's not very inspiring weather.
 
[Bonesmart.org] ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral
ByGosh, well I was out in my neighborhood perched on this mowing 2 acres of grass starting at noon. We've had over 6 inches of rain in the past two weeks, and it finally got dry enough to mow---looks more like I was cutting hay for baling. Now if I can just get my grandson to come over and do the trimming and weed eating, my yard will look like people live here again.:heehee: I did get pretty hot and sweatly---but have had a nice cool shower and a nice cool drink--so all is well.
 
ByGosh For some mad reason, we left our NYC apt. with the air conditioned living room to come to the country where there is none. It is insanely hot.

I can understand your concern about the TENS masking the pain and hurting yourself. But, if you get a couple of pain free hours, that must be a relief.

Yesterday, since my son and his wife were with me in the country (drove them to the airport to go back to LA this morning-sigh!) I jumped into a lake for the first time since surgery. I did not swim, but was in over my head, treading water for about an hour. When I walked out of the lake, I had stabbing pain in the mid-buttock on the operated side. I had it off and on for most of the day and evening. Lots of ice seemed to help, but I am sore today. It is so easy to cross the line into injury. Other than a trip to the supermarket and cleaning up after house guests today, I am resting and hoping for the best.
 
LeeApril26 you would think that threading water wouldn't hurt anything....you never know what muscles are going to be affected. Maybe next time would be okay if you didn't do it for so long a time? I bet it felt good though. We have had a few days this summer where jumping in a lake would have felt good.
 
LeeApril26 It must have been so nice to have your son and his wife here for a visit and so sad to see them go back. Did their party go well and did they enjoy seeing all of their East Coast relatives and friends?

I agree with sandybeach that it must have felt so good to paddle in the lake! I'm sure the pain is a muscle that hasn't been exercised so much in a while. The rest and ice should help. Yes, you're right, it is TOO easy to hurt ourselves with what we would assume is normal exercise. Do you have the Elmore Oil sample? It seems to work well. Although, I'm also using the TENS, so can't quite tell exactly how much it's doing.
It's been so dreadfully hot - I can't even be outside for any length of time. I was able to go to the pool today. I've joined a college pool for 3 mos, as the YMCA decided to have their summer camp at their main facility this season, and there are over 100 kids using the pool every day. Not only is it crowded, noisy, splashy, and nerve-wracking, I worry about the bacteria level of the water. I never would have thought of that in the past, but since these hips, I think of all kinds of potential problems. I think if I were on the upswing, I'd feel more normal, less vulnerable.

sandybeach You must be glad that you finally had some nice summer weather? Or are you too hot there, too, like we are?
 
ByGosh we aren't as hot as the rest of the nation. Today it's overcast and 80. We don't have air conditioning in our house, we usually don't need it and it's been pretty comfortable. I get so cold in the winter I think it takes me all summer to thaw out. My sister has always been concerned about hot tubs having bacteria in them. I have never thought about it and even now with the scar healed it shouldn't be anymore of a problem than before. I don't fully understand infection entering our bodies and affecting the implants. I read the articles but it still isn't clear in my mind how that works.
 
ByGosh sandybeach We are very sad when they leave, and also exhausted. We do a lot, and they have many visitors. The party went well, but it was very hot last Sunday, and we were in the covered garden of the restaurant. I did not expect the level of heat/humidity. We were fortunate that we did not have the thunderstorms that were predicted, as several cousins were coming from Eastern LI.
The house seems very quiet.

Until now I have been quite careful about exercise and PT, but the heat and the possibility of company in the lake over-rode my caution. My husband is not a swimmer, so I have been waiting for my son's visit to jump in the lake.

I forgot the Elmore oil sample in the city. Had been using it on my arthritic thumbs, and my sore arm. Using the cane has really done a job on my right side. I think there is too much of me to make it effective on my hip bone! There are a couple of stores in the city that sell it, so I am planning to get to one soon.

The Y pool sounds treacherous! It is a good thing you found another option, ByGosh. Climbing over all those children would really be a challenge, given the wet floors and towels thrown around. I would assume that with all those kids they would have to check the bacteria count all day, but who knows?

sandybeach When I visited my friend's country place at six weeks post op, I went into a hot tub unaware that I had a scratched knee from a bug bite. I freaked out, and contacted Josephine and showed it to my PT. I am not generally worried about hot tubs, but usually avoid them and the pool if I have a cut. Both Josephine and the PT said to watch it, and keep it clean, but not to worry too much. As I understand it, if we have a healthy immune system, our bodies can handle a normal infection that builds slowly. There may be (not for sure) a risk from dental work or UTIs because of a flood of bacteria before our immune system can gear up to fight it. But, no one is really sure if these things cause infections. Obviously, my OS, who freaked out because I wore sandals, is on the side of great caution, but many other doctors think there is no documentation on what causes post-op infections. It is all very confusing.
 
So glad you were able to enjoy the lake with your son, I expect it felt lovely and cool? I sure ByGosh is right and the pain will be from your muscle, a whole hour of treading water is a lot of exercise!! :groan:
 
LeeApril26, I went swimming in a public pool and contract a UTI which ended up as a kidney infection, mainly because I stood at the side of the pool with a friend and practiced squats with her.. I guess you get the anatomical picture :)

Did you have a flotation ring on whilst in the water or were you just treading water on your own? :)
 
Thanks, Littlejem. It is very strange to feel a random pinch in one's rear, so I hope it goes away soon!

Poppet Note to self: no more squats in the pool! Who would have imagined?
I did not have a flotation ring, but pre surgery it would not have been unusual for me to swim and tread water for longer than that. It didn't feel strenuous.
 
ByGosh, I've had a hard time finding you with your ever-changing and always beautiful flowery avatars, then I get lost in the wonderfully details that others are posting about. So happy you were able to go to both luncheons, and am sorry you felt pain afterward. How are you doing now? I tend to think like zauberflöte in that if you have five minutes more that are pain free or less pain, that is progress. I know that doesn't help much since you were so active before this hip stuff. They need to give us a prescription for patience. I can't weigh in on TENS, that oil, chiropractors, etc., but the notion that we are tensing when sitting certain ways, such as leaning forward, as Songlady said, makes sense, doesn't it. I never think about this, but will try to do so now. I can't help but think we (if I may include all of us) perhaps more tense physically than usual because we are overthinking how to move our various body parts, what not to move, restrictions, what will inhibit pain and soreness. We can't just "be." And yet in the process of thinking about all of this, surely we tense up and then a vicious cycle occurs. Which of course is not to say that this is what your groin pain is all about. Just saying in general.

Do you subscribe to The New York Times? Did you see the recent BIG section all about pies? I thought of you, all of you, and your pie discussions. Made me want to go out and make one, but the heat has squashed that notion pretty quickly.

I hope your other ACs have been installed? "They" always say the heat and humidity isn't as bad outside of the cities, but I don't believe them.
 
Hi bottomshollow LeeApril26 Littlejem sandybeach Poppet Peaches
Congratulations on your mowing achievement bottomshollow Two acres is quite a yard to mow. Good for you! It must have felt very satisfying to have it all finished. It's great to be outdoors but I bet you were very hot and sweaty. A nice cool shower and cold drink sounds just right afterward. :)

Our weather is unbearable here in Conn. - the temps are in the 90s and the humidity is way up there, too. It's almost not possible to do any activity outside, unless one's in the shade and there's a breeze. It seems generally 'dead' in the neighborhoods- everyone must be inside or at the malls, shopping!

Poppet - I understand the UTI scenario - poor dear, how unfortunate, especially to have it travel to your kidneys! I guess walking back and forth is better all around.

LeeApril26 that was a good explaination of the worries about infection risks. And sandybeach Hot tubs can give people 'hot tub folliculitis' which is an infection in the hair follicles of the skin on the body from a hot tub that's not properly maintained and sanitized. - it's a red pimply rashy type thing. It goes away with antibiotics, I think it's more of a nuisance than anything.
As far as swimming pools - they should be perfectliy safe if the chlorine level is properly maintained. In the 30 years that I've swam laps for exercise, and in the many, many different pools I've been in, I've gotten only 1 skin infection last year at a small-ish pool at a resort area. The pool was warm and cloudy and loaded with kids in the afternoons. It was a mild skin thing and went away fast with antibiotics, too.

I'm just being particuar now because of my general feeling of vulnerability because I'm not back to normal yet. I'm not exercising as much as I once did or getting around like I used to. Plus I'm stressed out, so I'm thinking maybe my immune system isn't what it once was. I'm just being more careful than I would normally be. And that's just me, it's not what any professional has told me. As a matter of fact, my Os told me I could swim once my incision lines were totally healed, at about 4 weeks post-op!

I think it's added caution that some of us are told to take antibiotics before dental cleanings. I remember Songlady saying she forgot all about it once, and she was fine! It's like everything - go with what our own OS recommends, otherwise we'll just get worried and confused about all of the conflicting information and advice. And I'm just doing what I feel comfortable with right now about my noisy crowded Y pool...too many kids, babies with swim diapers, toddlers, teens, all ages. And the water's cloudy now, too.

Peaches Nice to hear from you - how are you doing? How's work? No, I don't get the NY Times. We used to just get the Sunday one, but it would take all week to read, and my husband felt it was too time consuming. But I think it's pie season, for sure! Last week I made a strawberry, blueberry, apple pie -sort of a red, white, and blue theme. Very tasty. Today, I made a peach pie. Haven't tried it yet, it's dessert, but the peaches were very ripe and delicious.

LeeApril26 I had some ricotta left over from my cannoli attempt, so I made a delicious ricotta blueberry pound cake during the week. I googled a recipe, and it was really very good. It wasn't hard to make, just holding the electric mixer to beat the ricotta really bothered my shoulder tendonitis! That cake was eaten up in two days. The family loved it.
 
ByGosh and LeeApril26, thanks for tagging me :(

I have to start the mad dash off to work, so will come back and chat with you tonight... Much love to all my friends from down under xx catch up with you tonight hugs xx
 
I hope you have a good day at work Poppet It seems funny saying that to someone right now, as it's time for us to have dinner and start our night time routine, which ends by going to bed in a few hours. That may be just about lunch time for you! Take care. :)
 
ByGosh LeeApril26 I hate the idea of hot tubs causing any problems with skin or infection but I suppose the reality of it is obvious with several people in and out of them all day long. To me nothing beats a hot tub for relaxing in. We are going to a family reunion first part of August and staying in a hotel and that's what I'm most looking forward to is relaxing in the hot tub, now I will have to double think it. If it's cloudy at all I will not go in it. I would love to purchase one but the cost of maintenance is expensive and it seems like it's a bonus if you have the means of doing that yourself. My brother and sister in law owns one and it seems like they are working on it all the time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom