Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
octopus Kim22 Thanks so much for your concern. Yes, it's both groins, still. And a second opinion does seem to be in order. And thanks again, I will keep you posted as things go along. I checked out the storm in Auckland that made news. I guess it is a big deal to get snow there if it makes the news! You're probably better off without the snow - it's pretty, but can be a real pain, especially for driving.
Kim22 You sound like you're doing well, increasing the stationary bike, walking some, swimming a little. That's great!
I also worry about mine being chronic now, too. My OS said 3-6 mos, but that's so long. If it is chronic, I wonder how they treat it? I wonder if a cortisone injection can help or if they even give them for that? It's worrisome, that's for sure. I glad you're improving, though! Keep it up, hopefully all that you're doing will help it. I think you'll like the Elmore Oil sample, it does help the pain.
 
ByGosh Pittsford is the elite suburb of Rochester. A perfect little town. Question on the oil..would I use it on sore "good leg" or new hip leg? I am using a cane because my new hip leg has a restrictive leg brace keeping my knee from bending. This is putting extra stress on the alleged good leg. Brace will come off on the 9th. 8 weeks is long enough of sleeping on my back....and not very successfully. I don't have any pain in new hip leg but the other one is not happy. It will need replaced eventually but I want some time in between.
 
Kim22 I share your hope. I am going to ask about the xray when I return to the OS office on 7/15. I didn't ask at the six week check because I wasn't ready to know.

And, I know Deep Heat. Smells awful!
 
ByGosh Just today my sister found Elmore Oil the roll-on at our local Kinney's Drug Store. Which is similar to a Walgreens which would also be worth looking to see if they carry it. Kinney's was a $1.00 cheaper than what I paid at the health food store. I am sorry to hear that you are not getting any relief from your pain. I think maybe you should try and get into seeing your OS or the PA. Here is sending healing vibes your way dear.:ok:
 
Thank you Kylesh you're very sweet. How are you doing?
The avatar is actually a picture of a painted and laminated table top at a restaurant in Amherst, Mass. we've been to. They have interesting and colorful art work, and just as interesting and delicious food. Enormous, incredible popovers!

Liveringer Thanks so much for your well wishes and the Elmore Oil info. It's great your sister got the Elmore at a cheaper price. The roll on sells on line for $16.95, too. The owner said there are no retail stores in Conn that carry it yet. I gave him the name of a few around here and he said he'd contact them. I hope he's successful, as I want to buy it and don't want to pay postage! But I guess, I'll just have to, at least for now. How's the walking going?
 
Hi ByGosh we're all changing avatars it gets so confusing!! What an unusual but clever idea to paint and laminate the table top, it looks lovely. My avatar is a photo I took at Ice Hotel in Sweden, it's the ice chapel and there are rows of ice pews covered in reindeer skins, a very beautiful and calming place.
 
ByGosh With the rain that we have had I am getting my walking through pitching and the treadmill. Yesterday a neighboring town was on Good Morning America for flooding. I have never known this town to flood like it has poor people have not been able to return to their homes since Friday.
 
Oh ByGosh, your post brought tears to my eyes. When I first posted on this site, I was in the depths of despair and you were one of the first people to answer my post. You were so kind and supportive and I've never forgotten it. I'm so sorry that you are still in so much pain and I'd strongly advise you to seek out some help other than your OS. You most probably won't remember but I was in such terrible pain from Sep'12 until I had my THR at the end of Feb'13 and kept being brushed off at my GP's ( x 3 different docs) with comments such as 'there's nothing wrong with your knees', 'the x-rays of your knees are clear', 'it's just wear and tear' and 'you don't expect to have the knees of an 18 year-old when you're 64, do you?' It wasn't until I took myself off to a private orthopaedic consultant, who actually specialised in knees, and paid £480 for a consultation and 3 x-rays, that I was told within 45 minutes that I had severe osteo-arthritis of my hip with bone-on-bone and bone spurs, that anybody did anything about it. Perhaps a scan would show what your problem is. Try and consult the MD recommended by LeeApril26 - he may be able to help. I was in the most awful pain yesterday and Sunday but I know that is because I overdid it at the allotment and it was muscular pain. I don't have much discomfort at all today but I'm having an easy day doing a bit of dressmaking and shortening a couple of pairs of trousers (pants). It also makes me very mad / cross/ annoyed / upset when I say I still get pain and folk reply 'Oh, really? And you had your operation so long ago.' A THR is not a walk in the park - I think it's a really horrid op and the restrictions and recovery take a very long time. Loving thoughts ByGosh and I pray you will resolve your pain issues very soon. And don't forget dear - you had TWO hips done. I don't know how on earth you coped.:kittykiss: :flwrysmile: x Ros
Kim22 - we do have Tiger Balm in the UK - it smells absolutely horrid. And I'm allergic to Deep Heat - it burns my skin and brings me out in a rash. Waiting for the arrival of the Elmore oil.
Upstater - my 'good' leg also hurts especially in bed at night- and I do have OA in that hip too, but not that much. I'm hoping it isn't going the same way as the right one and that it's just over-reliance.
 
Nylsor YES! Mine is bothering me at night also. I also have OA in that hip, although the xrays showed it's detiorating it was nowhere near where the left was. Mine is really doing extra work as my operated leg is in a brace, can't bend the knee. Brace comes off Tues. I really want to alleviate this extra work on the somewhat good hip. And what a great point you had about this surgery. Sometimes I think because we hear how routine and successful it has become that somehow that has changed the recovery process. It has not. I don't regret for a minute having it done but I think I may have been naive regarding the recovery. If I didn't have the information on this site I would really be disappointed. My GP originally thought I had a spine problem. Went to specialist who sent me to PT, torture, to stretch my muscles. Saw second PT for opinion and he immediately sent me for hip xray. He then said those muscles are never going to stretch until you get that hip done. Oh, the round about ways some of us got here.
ByGosh Yes, we get cold winter weather. It wouldn't be too bad except it lasts for 6 months. Now it just rain rain rain. But, on the bright side I am indoors recovering so I don't notice as much as others.

ByGosh
 
Upstater The Elmore Oil will come with instructions, but I wouldn't put it on an incision or any broken, rashy or ittitated skin. You can massage it into where it hurts, either hip, or both. From what I understood of the instructions, it can be applied more often than two times a day, and there aren't any real limitations on where, except don't get it into the eyes, and I'd not get it on any mucus membranes. The websit has the phone # and you can call and speak to the owner of the US company and he'll answer any questions. You may get the sample sooner if you call and mention BoneSmart. He's happy to accommodate us, I felt, as he knows it will most likely generate business.
Yes, Pittsford seemed quite nice. The whole area looked pretty, and some of the town looked old and prosperous. Driving out a little from town seemed to be beautiful countryside. My sister-in-law lived up that way for a number of years, and the in-laws were in Pittsford itself.
I didn't realize you had a brace. That makes it even more tough. I would expect not being able to bend your knee would stress the 'good leg' and if it has arthritis, too, I'd imagine that would cause more pain. I find ice to be very helpful, wherever it hurts. Once the brace is off and your op leg is more functional, some of that stress should relieve on the good leg. Are you able to keep it elevated, too? I agree, this surgery is a lot more than I knew it would be, and I never thought the recovery would be so difficult, or take so long. Of course, mine isn't the ideal, I realize. I should be able to do a lot more by now, without this pain.
Liveringer and Upstater I didn't realize you people were having so much rain! We're having some, on and off, but not flooding of towns. Local roadways get temporarily flooded. Gee, Karen, those poor people, not being in their homes, and then going back to a mess! That would be just terrible.

Nylsor You're so sweet, I appreciate your kind words. It means a lot to me to have everyone's support. I wouldn't know what to expect from this surgery if it weren't for this forum, just like @Upstate rsaid.
It's discouraging how much some of us have been through, and still go through. I'm really glad I was able to help you when you were upset after your surgery. You were through so much. Your pre-op story is so awful. I'm glad you finally went to someone else, even though it did cost you money. It's so strange to me that there are MDs who don't know that hip deterioration can cause knee and back problems, too. I had pain in both the knee and back after I was diagnosed with the hip OA, and still doctors didn't connect them to the hip. It's wonderful that you finally had the surgery and are doing so much better now, and know that your aches and soreness are muscular and they go away.
An easy day of sewing sounds great. I like to sew, but don't do it too much. Almost like canning, it's somewhat of a lost skill, I feel. I was taught in high school how to use dress patterns and a sewing machine, and make simple clothes. I've forgotten all of that now, don't even use a sewing machine. I will hem my pants and mend clothes, though.
I understand what you're saying about a different OS and I appreciate and share your point of view. I'm working on getting to the bottom of this. It takes a while to arrange appointments, but I won't give up. Thank you for your support. You have a kind heart. We all sympathize with each other and our different situations. It's really helpful to all of us!
 
ByGosh You had both done? Can I ask what prompted that decision? Was it that they were both so bad that you had no "good" leg to help with a recovery? I don't exactly elevate but when I am on the couch it's on a foot stool. I don't have too much swelling or pain but who knows what I'll have when this brace comes off. I am the only one on this site that I've read that has a brace. Surgeon said he puts it on 1% of his patients. He told my husband after surgery I may be one of the 2% that wishes I didn't have it done. Not true. I would rather have a brace for 8 weeks than what I was dealing with before. Although I never had hip pain, which I know is odd, I started with ankle pain four years ago and then shin and thigh pain. All experts agreed it was referred pain but until I really pushed it no one seemed to concerned. I had compensated by adjusting my gait which in time just caused more muscle contraction. I am very curious to hear your reason for having two done at once.
 
Upstater Sleeping on your back is hard to do, and two months of it is a long time, you're right!
I agree that some time in between the hip replacements is a very good idea. Let yourself recover a bit from one surgery, get your strength back, get the op leg stronger, then the next leg will be easier. Most people here had their hips spaced out, some like sandybeach with only 6 weeks between, and some like, Littlejem, with a few months between. I didn't even know that people did that! I thought they had 1 at a time because the other one didn't need fixing right then. I wish I knew, because I may have done things differently...
Of course, there's no sense looking back! It's better to look forward and know nothing lasts forever, and as Kim22 says "by this time next year..." -- meaning things will be different and hopefully, much improved!
 
ByGosh It is difficult in my area to find a surgeon that will do both hips or knees at once. While the second one will need done I will "know" when. Hopefully there will be no second brace. So looking forward to sleeping on my side. I will know so much more on the 9th. Right now that's my biggest complaint. But knowing me once that restriction is lifted I will move on to another gripe to focus on. That's what I do.
 
Upstater whereas ByGosh thought it was 'as it was done' to have both hips done at the same time, I was never offered it. I always knew that both my hips would need doing within a short space of time and my OS even gave me the choice as to which to have done first!! I had 13 weeks between my surgery's and I was happy with that, my first hip is really holding up well to the extra work it's been given but I'm finding that they have been quite different! I'm back on my back for sleeping for another 12 weeks :sad: not good!!
 
Littlejem Twelve weeks on your back? Isn't that unusually long? As I had said you would be hard pressed to find any surgeon around here to do both at once. I know they won't do both knees, either. Another funny thought as to those of us who tend to follow instructions: On my second day in the hospital after I had gotten up and walked a little the nurse said "out of all the patients with replacements yesterday only two of you got up today." So I'm thinking, gee, I didn't realize it was an option. Did the others say "nah, I don't feel like it." lol
 
Enormous, incredible popovers!
By any chance was that at Judies Restaurant ByGosh?? I was there a year ago and had an amazing popover??!! :).

Sounds like your getting close to getting that brace off Upstater... sleeping on your side again sounds like heaven to me! :happydance: I'm still on my back at 6 weeks - but more because of painful bursitis which supposedly my OS will shoot up with steroids tomorrow! As for having both hips done at the same time -- I begged for it... was my OS's 10th double!! I know crazy right! :yikes: But I'm happy that I won't have to go through 2 surgeries, 2 recoveries etc... Self employed so no worky - no money!
 
SeaSiren ByGosh I can understand having both done if you requested it. Two separate recoveries is not appealing. What is the normal time for sleeping on back restriction? All of us have different circumstances influencing our decisions. I had built up 12 weeks paid sick time before using disability...which pays little. I am frankly tired of doing nothing. Hoping to return part time. Just not sure whether half days or every other day is wiser.
 
My restriction for a posterior approach was 12 weeks although I think I gave up at 11 weeks last time so I managed to get 2 weeks sleeping on my sides and now I'm on my back again!! I'm also amazed that your hospital only gave patients the 'option' to get up the next day surely they would have to get up, wouldn't they need to go to the toilet!! I went back to work at 4 weeks last time, only a couple of half days but I gradually built up my hours and days. I'd say it will be hard to do a full day and you'd be better doing half days anf building up the hours gradually.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom