Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
sandybeach My brother also has a hot tub but never uses it-too much upkeep. They keep it drained and covered.
I think if you don't have cuts, and if you rinse off when you leave it, you are fine. (No squats, though-see Poppet's post) I used one today, and did the bicycle exercise for 10 minutes. It was great, and loosened me up enough to go into the pool. If you are going somewhere with sanitation rules it should be fine. The one in my health club gets checked hourly, and they adjust the chemicals if needed.
I am planning to go into it again tomorrow, but just burned my arm cooking dinner. If I get a blister and it breaks I won't do either the hot tub or the pool. Hoping the aloe works.
 
sandybeach I think hotels and such are more strict with hot tub sanitation now than they used to be. I'm sure that going in one at a nice place, with clear water in it, and a shower afterward would be fine. The relaxation alone would boost your endorphins and your immune system enough to be worth it! And I'll bet your sister keeps hers nice and clean, too. The family I knew didn't drain theirs and refill it as recommended, and the water was left in it - that's why they had a problem, she said.

LeeApril26 Hourly checking is very efficient! It must be really well-maintained. I wouldn't think twice about using that hot tub. There's no chance for anything to be in it.
 
LeeApril26 Aloe is so good for burns. I used to keep a plant all the time. It died and I never replaced, don't know why. I should get another one. The place we going to is a casino hotel so I think they keep those hot tubs pretty clean. I am planning on going in and if I can't I will be prepared for that too....just take an extra long hot shower instead.
 
sandybeach. My plant died, too. I use a gel that I keep in the fridge. I unfortunately burn myself often. You should see my arms after Thanksgiving! I jut pat on the cold gel regularly. It worked-no blister, just a red mark, so into the pool and hot tub.

I think you will know instantly if the casino hotel pool/hot tub are clean. They usually are kept up very well. Thank goodness for health inspectors.
 
My plants all die, even my artificial ones! *sigh* But I do have a bottle of aloe I keep on hand, wonderful stuff! You know, we had an older friend several years ago who had a hip replacement and it got infected and never did heal (he died of a stroke 2 years later). They had a hot tub at home that really wasn't maintained very well and I've often wondered if that wasn't part of his problem. I do love them though. I would think the one at our local community center has to meet certain health inspection standards, don't you think? Not that I'll be going anytime soon...
I am rambling, trying to avoid doing a little housework. If I postpone it long enough, maybe the cleaning fairy will come and do it all while I nap! :rotfl:
 
I read somewhere if you put vinegar on a burn you will not get a blister and it takes the heat out. My daughter-in-law tried it and said it worked. I hardly ever burn myself so haven't tried it. LeeApril26 you need some of those oven gloves that go up to your elbows.
 
So much more to think about since surgery. It's official about the sandals.....I know someone who had surgery in 09 and she came into our office today wearing sandals. I asked her if she had ever heard that she shouldn't be wearing them and she looked at me like I was crazy and said no. I have mine on today also. If you're scared about wearing them I would say don't but I don't think it's going to hurt anything to wear them if you want to.
 
sqwerlie If you figure out how to get cleaning fairies to show up, do please share! I think you have a point about your friend's infection and his poorly maintained hot tub. Both the health club in NYC and the one at the community center I use in the country check the water hourly. The lifeguards do it, and sign a clip board when they do. The have a little test tube, and put pool or hot tub water in. Depending on the color of the water they adjust the chemicals. If you get to your local center, why not ask how often it is tested. It feels great, and loosens up the new hip and my "so-called good one."

sandybeach. I have not seen gloves that go up that high but really didn't know they existed. Will look. Sounds like a great idea. Also the vinegar.
Thanks for the info on sandals. I am wearing a pair right now, as I am in the country and just came back from the pool. My compromise is not to wear open sandals when taking the subway or walking around crowded areas of the city. But really, I have been wearing them for a lifetime without a problem, so not too worried. Will certainly not go in for my 7/15 appointment wearing sandals. Thanks for asking.

ByGosh. Apologies for the hijack. Hope you are surviving in the heat. Do you have access to a hot tub at your pool? I have been going in and doing a few minutes of bicycles in the hot tub, and it loosens all the muscles quite well.
 
Hi LeeApril26 sandybeach sqwerlie No apologies necessary for posting on my thread. It's all friendly talking, not hijacking, and it's interesting to read. :) I haven't been posting much myself these past few days, anyhow.

The new pool that I joined at a college nearby has a hot tub. I asked about the chlorine level and the lifeguard said it's the same standard as the regular pool. But they only check it twice a day... It's a tiny one, and I've never used it. The showers are nice and hot, though, so I enjoy those afterwards. If yours is checked every hour, Lenora, that's very diligent.
I wondered if an aqua belt would be a good thing for you, Lenora? Me, too, for that matter. They have them at this pool, and I put one on a minute and it requires a lot of leg movement to go anyplace. It's called an AquaJogger. I was hesitant, as I don't know what might trigger my pain. But you are able to use a bicycle motion with your legs when it's on. I think I'll try it again and just time myself, rather than try to get back and forth, as in laps. I'll do gentle leg movements and see how it goes. I always feel better after I swim. It's such a psychological lift.

I'm trying to protect both my shoulders and my hips now, as the shoulders are really acting up. I do have tendonitis, and probably the walker, cane, and swimming without kicking much has really stressed them.

I'm seeing a rheumatologist, and there's a question as to whether I have sero-negative rheumatoid arthritis. But all of the blood work has been totally negative, and I'm not showing classic signs, so we're holding off on big rheumatoid meds for now. He's going to try me on a course of Prednisone soon, and see if that helps the hips.
It seems that something is going on, and now with these shoulders, I wonder if it isn't a systemic problem? My hips deteriorated very rapidly, too, which is somewhat unusual for OA.

sqwerlie haha Even your artifical plants die LOL That would be pretty hopeless, wouldn't you say? You'd have to get one made of painted metal, or wood, if that were the case. Good thing your husbands the farmer, and you take care of the house, and not the crops! :heehee:
I've been looking for those d#$m cleaning fairies, too. Where are they? Never show up when ya' need them...can't count on them, undependable and hopeless, they are.

On a positive note, the TENS machine seems to be helping. I've been wearing it for my hips every afternoon, and it seems to have helped me be on my feet more without severe pain. I've spent the time baking a little bit. I figure the family deserves some treats for being so supportive, and cooking seems harder to me - more standing. At least baking, I can sit and mix, then put it in the oven.
I wish I had another one for my shoulders now!
 
sandybeach and @ LeeApril26 I think your idea about when to wear sandals makes perfect sense, Lenora. I never liked wearing them when I went out shopping or in crowds, anyway. I was careful before, so it's nothing to still protect my feet now when they seem likely to be too exposed to getting stepped on or stubbed, or whatever.
It seems that no one else has heard the 'no sandals" restriction, either. Interesting...your OS may be particular about just that one thing.
 
ByGosh Could be that both hot tubs I use get lots more use-for one thing they each fit about 8-10 people and are in continuous use, so that may be why they are checked so often.
The health club in the city does have aqua belts and I have used them, but it seems like I get a harder worker out in my core if I don't use the belt. It seems more difficult to stay upright in deep water. You may be right though, if I do put more stress on the muscles w/o the belt. The pool in the country has noodles and weights but no belt. I know some of the Heal Your Hips exercises are suggested with belts. Once I can handle the subway I can get to the city health club and will try one. Thanks for reminding me. Currently, I sit on the shelf seat in the hot tub and bicycle my legs. That doesn't seem to stress my glutes though treading water does.

My right shoulder is really hurting as well, and I am hoping that if I use the cane less, it will improve. I have also been doing some gentle arm exercises in the pool, but can't use the weights because of the pain. Since you have been using the walker and cane for a while, it makes sense that you would have pain across both. Pre surgery I was having bad lower back pain. I bought a long, very narrow TENS electrode pad, that stretched across my lower back. I wonder if it would stretch across your shoulders? It uses one plug and two lead wires. And, I bought it on Amazon. I'm glad the TENS is offering you some relief. I hope the rheumatologist comes up with a solution and that it isn't rheumatoid arthritis, though at this point I'm sure just having a diagnosis would be a help.

sqwerlie My brother-in-law gave me an air plant, and I killed that, too. Somehow, I am fine in the garden but death to houseplants.

sandybeach and ByGosh I think my walking in there five and a half weeks after surgery in open sandals was like waving a red flag in front of a bull. He may not have said anything if I hadn't.
In general I have a healthy immune system, and having spent 65 years riding on the NYC subway system, holding bannisters, poles and hanging handles with my bare hands, I figure I must have built up a fairly decent resistance to many germs. Hoping so, anyway.
 
LeeApril26 Yes, the belt seems a little awkward in some way, but I haven't figured it out because I only had it on a minute. I felt like it was more work for me somehow - maybe it was to stay upright. I don't want to do too much to any extremity right now.

You're right, I don't want rheumatoid, but I want whatever is wrong to be treated and go away, so I can resume my life. I'm hoping this is figured out before too long. I'm working on it, so there's hope.

That's a very good idea about the long TENS pad! I should call the company that provides these machines and see if they have any. They're sending more electrodes and pads to me, also batteries, so maybe they have a long pad, too. This machine has two sets of electrodes for 4 pad placements. But I use it on both hips during the day, then both shoulders before bed. I'd like to do everything at once, though! It's very hard keeping ice on the shoulders - awkward placement.

Your shoulder sounds sore, too! My PT told me that even a light touch with the cane provides good support. I only use it now when I go out (rarely), or the pool, so I don't fall on the wet floor. Have you used your TENS machine lately? It works well, but I wish it would heal things, too. Wouldn't that be great?
 
ByGosh have not used the TENS on my shoulder but my husband is using it on his knee after tennis each morning. I should try.

I think you could try one pad on each should and one on each hip. I did two one one hip and one pad on each groin muscle with no problem. If you google TENs machine electrode placements you should find a chart of where to place things depending on location of pain. I'll see if I bookmarked it when I get on the computer.

I use the cane at the pool, and for the walk across the large bumpy parking lot right now, so the shoulder is slightly less sore. When I am in NY I am really nervous w/o it, and haven't mastered the light touch. It's in my head-the fear of falling.

I am really glad you found a doctor to work on this with you.
 
LeeApril26 I'm sorry if I missed this, but did he say why you shouldn't wear sandals? My THR is more than three years old and I wear sandals about half the year. I'm not making any recommendations here, but it seems like if something bad were going to happen it already would have happened to me. It hasn't.
 
alexthecat I live in NYC and he was horrified that I showed up for my almost six week exam wearing open sandals and no socks. (Can you imagine wearing socks with open sandals ???) It did have a back strap for stability, but he was concerned that a scratch or splinter or some other NYC pathogen could cause an infection that would spread to the hip. No one I have checked with, including all the Physical Therapists at the outpatient center I use, have ever heard of this. Another BS hippie went to her appointment in sandals with no problem. The most curious part is that his PA said I could have pedicures.
So I am trying to be sensible in the city, but can't see going to the beach or pool in sneakers and socks.

And now I think I have a sinus infection from all the rain + mold allergies I have. Just googled it and found all kinds of warnings on ortho sites that sinus infections can lead to implant infections. This is going to drive me nuts!!! Have you heard of that?
 
No, I've never heard of that. I'm no expert, but that seems unlikely to me. I'm getting over a sinus infection right now. I didn't even think to worry about my hip. It's fine.

I make fused glass and I do wear proper shoes in the studio. Not because of my hip, but because there are tiny shards of glass on the floor. They're too small to be seen, but I got one stuck under a toenail once. Oh my gosh! It hurt sososo much!
 
Thank you alexthecat I think my surgeon did a wonderful job, but he sure put the fear of infection in my head.
I can imagine how much those slivers of glass would hurt! The fused glass sounds so interesting. Do you post any photos of your work in the Social section?
 
I don't think I've ever posted any of my glass in the Social Room. I really should. I promised tashia I would ages ago. It's hard because I'm usually on my phone. It's easier to post photos from my computer.
 
alexthecat Well, please let me know if you do. I've always been fascinated by glass. Not knowledgeable, but interested.
 
Okay. I'll do that.

I forgot to say that my OS was super paranoid about dislocation. I stopped asking him about what I could do because he always said that I would dislocate. Never happened!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom