Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much for your kind words zauberflöte and Peaches ! I wish I was all better right now, too! It's been too long, I'm tired of it, I want my life back, I'm getting anxious because work is less than 2 months away...etc,etc,etc.... I had a bad night Friday, most likely from my luncheons, as I hurt after each one, worse after the second in a row, and doing 1 errand of bringing my pooch to the vet, so I rested yesterday. I have to get to the bottom of this, and I'm hoping there is a bottom - or a light at the end of the tunnel!
I'm sorry to hear you are not doing so well again. I guess it's more resting for you. Don't worry too much about going back to work. You should be doing a lot better in a month or so. I'm hoping that for myself too. This is exactly how I feel "I wish I was all better right now, too! It's been too long, I'm tired of it, I want my life back". Remember (not that you could possibly forget :) ), you had the two for one deal, you amazing woman!
 
Littlejem. They are often on the dessert menu at Southern Italian restaurants or sold at pastry shops. The filling is really good, and crispy ice cream cones are lots easier than making the shells, which are formed over metal tubes.

ByGosh. My Elmore oil sample just arrived. It is thicker than I expected. Rubbed it on my sore right hand-waiting to see what happens after a few applications.
 
Littlejem Cannolis are pretty popular in the East here due to a large Italian population and a lot of Italian bakeries. I don't know about elsewhere in the US. The filling is a creamy ricotta cheese (Italian again, like cottage cheese, only smoother and sweeter) sweetened with powdered sugar, usually flavored with some vanilla, and sometimes with a few mini chocolate chips mixed in. There are more elaborate recipes, but I made an easy one, and my husband bought the cannoli shells, so I filled them for an easy dessert treat. I don't really care for them myself, but my family does and someone brought them to the nurse's luncheon, so I thought I'd give it a try.

LeeApril26 Very smart to use sugar ice cream cones! :) They sell the cannoli shells and cannoli chips at Shop Rite bakery - I don't know if you have one where you live. I didn't bother whipping in heavy cream, but I could see that it would improve the filling. Mine was a little less firm than the real ones, but it still tasted good.
You had a lot of people to see at your party, I could see that your good hip would complain. I'm sure it turned out wonderful, though, and your daughter and SIL really appreciated it. Thank goodness it was at a restaurant.

I called Gregor, the owner of the Elmore Oil US branch, and I got the oil sample in two days, probably quicker than ordering on-line. It does help soothe sore spots - my gymnast daughter used it and found immediate relief and she's a Tiger Balm junkie. I also found it soothing and the smell doesn't linger like Tiger Balm does. It's definately worth trying, I think. I hope you get your sample soon, Lenora. Poppet uses it with heat after for better absorption.
Gregor said it can be used with Arnica cream, but put the oil on first.

Nylsor The allotment sounds like a great idea - a wonderful place all around. You get to meet other nice people, get some exercise, plant healthy vegetables and fruits, get outside in the fresh air and keep busy. I had a small one plot that I rented here before I got married and had my own house. I really loved it.
I then later planted gardens in my back yard for several years when the kids were growing up. The last few, we would do use pots to plant- herbs and tomatoes - on the patio. I forgot all about that this year, and alas, we have nothing. I especially love basil and parsley. They add delicious flavor to food, and basil makes a delicious pasta sauce. I suppose it isn't too late to do a pot of basil if we buy the plant now.
Nylsor You and your hubby grow a lot of great foods! Some are not familiar to me - corgettes and swede. The others I know pretty well. You do a lot of canning, which is nearly a lost art here in my part of the world. You also do a very nice service to share your harvest with your neighbors - I'm sure they look forward to it! Good for you both.:)


Kylesh I'm glad your OS gave you a shot for the knee pain. I hope it helps. I had knee pain pre-op that I think was referred from the hips, and post-op from walking wrong, I believe. It did clear up for the most part, except when I have really bad groin pain, but it's one extra thing that none of us need with whatever else we have. Maybe you should also call Gregor and get a sample of that Elmore Oil to rub on? It's free, smells ok, doesn't stain the clothes and seems to relieve the pain. The number is on the elmoreoilusa.com website - and tell him you're from BoneSmart - I'm hoping he might give us a break on the shipping costs if we order!

Littlejem zauberflöte Nylsor Kylesh Thanks so much for your concern. I'm not feeling very good about this problem lately. The pain seems to occur every day and it's not just soreness. I'm getting anxious about it, really, and upset and scared. I feel pretty incapacitated because whenever I do anything, like the luncheons, the pain gets severe, and I have to lay on the couch with ice all afternoon - or most of the whole day. I was going to the pool, but maybe not today so I can rest the tissue. Although going to the pool is the only thing I do, and it lifts my spirits tremendously. I don't know if it helps or hurts physically, though. It's so hard to tell - I know that flexion, walking, weight bearing will increase the pain. That's just about everything we do!:sad:


I know this isn't right and something needs to be done. I don't say it, but I'm pretty discouraged at this point. I was optimistic for the first 12 weeks, but not anymore. I was hoping it would subside. But now I feel I need an evaluation to tell me if the implants are positioned correctly, if they're the right size, if they're rubbing on the tissue, etc. If it is 'soft tissue inflammation', maybe an ultrasound will show tendonitis and inflammation. There is such a thing as ileosoas syndrome, but I need someone to tell me exactly what I have and I need it treated more aggressiveliy. The one week of Prednisone didn't take it away - it's back. I was a healthy, active, normal person, took care of my family and pets, swam every day until the day before surgery, went to work until 2 days before surgery, enjoyed life, and this has transformed me into a person who is in pain if they do any normal activity. It's worse now than pre-op.
So I am working on it, I'm just not posting about it much until I can get some information.
and zauberflöte - I'll let you know when to get that cane ready!

So thanks everyone for being so kind, understanding and supportive. I find it hard to complain or tell my tale of woe. I'd so much rather be the nurse, not the patient! :)
 
ByGosh you have started something now with your cannoli shells! We have an Italian deli/bakery in Rochester and will see if they stock them! We do have "brandy snaps" which are a thin biscuit/cookie, rolled up while still hot to make a cylinder that cools crispy. They are also yummy filled with cream, etc.
I found sitting on a wooden bench in a restaurant very tiring/uncomfortable last weekend - leaning forward to talk to the other diners may have been an issue as well!
Best wishes to you - hope you get sorted soon
Anne
 
Awwww octopus How sweet of you to say that, and thank you. It's difficult - I'm rendered pretty dysfunctional by this pain. Whenever I do any normal activity, as I said above, it rears it's ugly head again.
I wish we both were all better by now, too! But I know we both will be. This won't last forever. You're strong, a brilliant artist with lots of talent, you'll be back to normal again soon!

What's your weather now? Are you as cold as Poppet's been? Do you have snow? We're hot, hot, hot here and muggy. Temps in the 90s F, lots of unsettled weather - rain storms, thunder and lightening, cloud bursts, road flooding, today there's a tornado watch for our area. I've been fine here where I live, but we have had the severe thunder storms - I know because my little dog gets freaked out, poor guy! That's when I have to get the doggie tranquilizers out, or he'll shake and shiver all night. I can't have that. :puppysmooze:
I hope you feel better, octopus - I'll gladly look at your artwork anytime you post it. I loved what you've done so far. I also liked fiberlady 's yarn. Amazing. Beautiful colors, and it looked so soft and cozy. I had my husband buy me a sketch book, just to give my journaling a twist - and someone told me to check out dickblick on line for cheap art supplies. That I mean to do - she said they have great stuff. Guess that's what I'll do today. Take care and thanks for droppin by.:friends:
 
ByGosh. I can understand your reluctance to post about the continued pain. My pre op pain was so bad I could barely walk and the waves of depression made it even more difficult. Hated talking about it.
I keep trying to think of options for you, but it seems like you're right-calling your OS for further evaluation would be a place to start. I know he said it was soft tissue stuff and would heal but this is a long time now. Also, I have had success in the past with an MD who specialized in rehabilitation medicine. I've successfully avoided knee surgery for years because of the PT he directed, and that is where I had stim and ultrasound for tissue damage around the knees.

Have you tagged Josephine lately for her input on the duration of this?

Please don't feel you need to answer me. Just brainstorming and undoubtably repeating everything you have thought of already. I know how frustrated I am not being able to kick my leg to swim, and I'm not in significant pain from it. I truly hope you discover a solution very soon.
 
Nannyannie It's fun to try new recipes. Your brandy snaps sound delish and I bet with cream they're really a treat. Rochester - my husband went to school in Syracuse and his sister and family lived in Rochester and his in-laws moved up there, where his brother still remains. Pittsford. It has a very nice YMCA there. I remember swimming in it when we visited last, after his Mom passed away.
They have a Wegman's grocery store up near where they lived - with all kinds of stores - BJs, and everything. Do you go to Wegmans? It has so much prepared food - quite handy if you're in a hurry, or not cooking. It's sort of like a buffet at a restaurant, if I remember correctly.
Yes, the sitting kills me, and leaning forward pinches the groin. I'm sure that did it, but I feel it should be getting better by now. 17 weeks today, over 4 mos. Thanks for your best wishes, I appreciate the thoughts, and I hope I get sorted soon, as well.
How are you doing? You have grandchildren you must play with and look after. That has to be tiring, but rewarding. I love my kids and can't wait until some new babies arrive - but I guess I have to, as they're too young to marry yet, except my son, and he's still too busy in school to settle down.
Take care Nannyannie, and thanks for thiking of me. I hope you're doing well.
 
I'm so glad you have let all that out and shared with us how you are really feeling, I'm not surprised you are discouraged, something needs to be done to help you. When do you see the OS again, can you get to see him sooner rather than later and tell him all you have told us, like you say, you feel worse now than before and that's not right, he must be able to do something. I'm so, so, sorry you are going through this and I really wish I had a smart reply that would help you but unfortunately I don't! Please ring and get an appointment as soon as possible, we would all like to see you well and happy again.
 
LeeApril26 Thank you so much for your suggestions. I agree it's been a long time now. I'm interested in your suggestion about the rehab medicine MD. I assume he was in NY? I'll keep that information in the event I have to go that route. Once it's clear to me what is or isn't wrong, I'll have a better idea what to do next.
 
ByGosh. I could not find cannoli cylinders pre made so I used sugar cones. pretty good, and very easy.

I am exhausted from hosting a party for 67 people today, at a restaurant-an East Coast party for family that couldn't attend my son's wedding. Stood up greeting people and visiting for way too long.. My so called good hip is really sore. Feeling like I will be doing this again soon. I hope the Elmore oil arrives soon. You are so right about the name. I was wondering if Elmore is their last name? It is so nondescript.

I loved the Julia Child movie. Loved Meryl Streep and Amy Adams in it. Also really liked JC's cook books. The good old days when I cooked with butter!


Wow I am well impressed by the stamina you demonstrated hosting the recent party.I attending an evening party for my daughters friends wedding on Saturday as well as looking after my baby grandson during the day. I had a lovely day and the party was great but I was so exhausted and same as you I am getting more soreness of the good leg.The muscles are still sore today.I wonder if this soreness of the none operated side is common at this stage ? I am using my homemade Elmore Oil as the sample hasn't arrived yet.I read that the guy who developed it is called Elmore He is Australian.
I also enjoyed the Julia Childs film and my friend bought me the DVD and the cookbooks for my birthday a few years back. The recipes are good but as you say contain a lot of calories.
 
ByGosh Our Rochester is the original one in Old England with a castle and cathedral dating from 1080 or so and some of the old Roman town walls remaining! It's great seeing how many of our towns and cities have "twins" in the USA (and Australia). Our sailors went everywhere!
Anne
 
Hi ByGosh I am so sorry that you are still having a lot of pain.Is it still concentrated in the groin area ? I still have soreness in the groin but I am managing to walk a little more and to swim a little as well as building up my time on the stationary bike.I am still taking regular OTC painkillers which I still need and couldn't do with out.I am now getting more pain in the muscles of the none operated side as well I am using the homemade Elmore Oil which does feel soothing and the olive oil is making my skin very soft I use the Arnica on the bruises from the deep tissue massage I am still doing to the adductor and rectus femoris both of which are still very sore to pressure.I wonder now if this Tendonitis has turned into a more chronic condition but I am still hanging on to the words of my OS who told me that it can take 3 months to be resolved.I hope you find out what is causing your pain very soon and more importantly find a solution.Thinking about you and sending you healing thoughts across the Pond.
 
Oh dear Nannyannie I didn't read your location closely enough, and I thought it was the USA! So I was rambling on about a grocery store and the shopping and YMCA there, not where you are... Sorry, I guess I wasn't being a brilliant conversationalist - but you're right, our sailors did go everywhere!

Kim22 The Elmore Oil that I got said it is from Australia and was named Elmore because the inventor lived in Elmore, Australia, I believe. He died and now his son runs the company in Australia. This fellow named Gregor, owns the USA company. But either way, it's getting good reports. My daughter loves it, and she's a gymnast and coach, and always straining something. Do you have Tiger Balm in the UK? It's very popular here, but the smell is very strong and lingers. Elmore oil smells better and not as strong, doesn't seem to linger, either.
I'm glad your babysitting for your gorgeous grandson went well and your party was fun! The good leg must take a lot of stress when you and LeeApril26 are active. I hope the that the oil you so cleverly made helps! And rest the muscles, that's always helpful, with that heat which you like to use. It is so soothing, I think.

Littlejem Thank you for your concern on my behalf. I really appreciate everyone's support and suggestions. I'll keep you posted if anything new comes up.
How are you? I love your new Avatar - is it a church window? It's lovely, whatever it is. I think I see people lined up sleeping? Please let me know, as I can't quite figure it out even though it is so pretty and the color is soothing.

Thanks LeeApril26 You're so helpful. I'll let you know - perhaps he may know an MD in my area that he would recommend, if I feel that's too hard to get to NYC.
 
Awwww octopus How sweet of you to say that, and thank you. It's difficult - I'm rendered pretty dysfunctional by this pain. Whenever I do any normal activity, as I said above, it rears it's ugly head again.
I wish we both were all better by now, too! But I know we both will be. This won't last forever. You're strong, a brilliant artist with lots of talent, you'll be back to normal again soon!

What's your weather now? Are you as cold as Poppet's been? Do you have snow?

Oh ByGosh, I really feel for you. Is it both hips you are getting the pain with? Forgive my terrible memory, but were you going to get a second opinion because your surgeon seemed not to care, or was that someone else? I would be concerned too if my pain was severe like yours. Do push for another appointment, and thanks for sharing, it's good for us to know how you really feel.

No we dont get as cold here in Auckland as Poppet does, I think she lives near the mountains. Our weather has settled a bit after the polar blast we had last week. I am a fair way north in NZ and we don't get snow. It's a historic event when we do! Like the snow of 2011. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10745187. It's been quite cold but with lovely sunny days, and a few rainy ones thrown in for good measure.

Thinking of you, keep us posted.
 
ByGosh Hi! I'm 6 miles east of Pittsford. Love Wegmans....shouldn't say that...we own competing stores. On another note my good leg's thigh muscles are sore. Hoping it's just because that leg is overworked right now. But I know that hip isn't all that perfect.
 
Kim22. Didn't have much choice about the stamina. The wedding in March and the NYC party were planned a year ago, when I was just getting twinges in the hip. It was fun, but I am exhausted today. Sent the day on the chaise with ice. It seems several of us are having issues with the "good" leg/hip. Hope it is overuse and not more surgery.
ByGosh. I do like the fragrance from the Elmore oil much better than Tiger Balm, which I have also used. I always think I smell like a horse after a long race when I rub it on. Not too attractive!
 
:) Upstater Hi! Pittsford seemed like a nice little town when I briefly visited a few times. I liked their YMCA. You're way up north there where the weather is way colder than here and you have a lot more snow. Although we had quite a bit last winter. It's now hot and muggy here.
Yes, the 'good' hip probably is taking a heavier load while the op hip recovers. As you can see, a few people here are having pain on the good side. I had sore thigh muscles, and used the accupressure massage that's in our library here. It was very helpful, and Kim22 uses it, too. We also use Arnica cream that we got at the local drugstore. It has natural antinflammatory and healing properties, and is supposed to help. I personally don't notice much of a difference. The Elmore Oil does help, though. They have stores in upstate that sell it. broken link removed: https://www.elmoreoilusa.com is the website for it, and they have a toll free number on the site you can call to get a free sample. The man will also be able to tell you which stores sell it. Many of us have tried it and found that it relieves pain, and Poppet uses it with heat and found it helped even better. I'm sure you're icing and resting, too. Do you still use a cane? That can help take some of the stress off. Good luck with it! And thanks for dropping by my thread. Visit anytime.
 
I am not sure if we have Tiger Balm over here but we have a lotion called Deep Heat which feels good but smells dreadful.LeeApril26 I hope the issues we are having on our good sides are down to overuse only.My OS told me that the left side X-ray was fine and there were no problems but I know from bitter experience that the X-ray has limitations as a diagnostic tool.I must admit it feels like muscular aches and pains and the oil and heat seem to help.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom