Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kim22 Yes, when do you go back to your beautiful bay? Is that a picture of it in your avatar? What exactly is a caravan? I assume it's a type of structure or cottage, but I've never heard that word used like that before.

Hi zauberflöte Today is a better day, thank goodness. It's a heat wave here now. 90's. Very muggy, some thunderstorms coming every day. I hope it cools it down, the air outside is yucky. I'm eating watermelon right now - yum! It hits the spot. How is it in VA? Are you as hot there?
And how are you doing? Are the boys away now? Your 26 year old lives on his own now, doesn't he? And your other son is at school or camp?
My GoshGang comes and goes every which way now. They're all working this summer, which is great, and are all on different schedules. I'm trying to get two of them here at once to drag the big air conditioner up from the basement so GoshHubby can install it in the dining room. Thank goodness we have the bedroom ones in! It was hot last night. One of the dogs was even crabby and growling at the other if she got too close!
 
Audball A screw loose??? YOU?? No way!! :)
So you have a grinding sensation in your hip replacement? Is there pain with it? I would think a call to the OS is appropriate, or even tagging one of our many smart admins or moderators here. It won't hurt to ask and then you'll know.

How are you doing otherwise, luv?? Is a caravan a house on wheels? I need you to interpret your language for me!
We have houses on wheels called Motor Homes. Some are beautiful inside, and they can be parked permanently at places called trailor parks. The outsides are made of some type of metal, and they tend to be long and thin, not like a typical house. Is that what your caravans are like?
How are your kids? Keeping you busy this summer? We're having a heat spell in Conn.- in the 90's with lots of humidity. Just trying to keep cool!
My hips are ok - it's the groin pain "soft tissue inflammation" that seems to be hanging on here. Otherwise, I'm great! I can walk fine and do things, if I want alot of pain after. So I try to take it easy and do things around the house, and ice and rest, still, as much as I can.

I'm so glad to hear from you! Do check out your loose screw, will you? Can't let any of them nuts or bolts get loose, either!:heehee:
 
ByGosh I was very pleased to read that you are having a better day today and funny enough I am having the same experience as you in that I had a bad day yesterday but the hip has improved today. I have had a busy day with the hairdressers this morning which involved the longest drive I have done since my surgery.I last had my hair done in February for my grandsons baptism so a hair do was well overdue.I then went to mums for a birthday lunch for my niece who turned 18 today.I am tired now but the hip feels ok.

I had the posterior approach rather than the anterior.Yes I still massage with Arnica twice a day and find it quite soothing and its great for the bruises which I sometimes manage to inflict on myself doing the deep tissue massage.I am keen to try the Elmore Cream too.

My daughter, son in law and baby grandson are up at the caravan this week for a little holiday.They return to us on Friday and are going to a wedding on Saturday and we are babysitting during the day but joining them for the evening party The party includes a ceilidh dance and it will be difficult as I used to love to dance but will have to sit it out on this occasion.We are going back to the caravan on Tuesday for 2 whole weeks and I am ready for the holiday which is always very relaxing and I am hoping to do some more short walks on the flat.We have a static caravan which doesn't move off the caravan park.It is lovely with 2 bedrooms, lounge , kitchen and bathroom so very well equipped.It is a cheaper alternative to having a regular holiday property.The other sort of caravan is a touring type which is pulled by a car and the advantage of that sort is that you can visit different places like a motor home.Both are popular with British holidaymakers especially those with young families or older baby boomers like ourselves.We love going as it is in a lovely spot and not far from the Scottish Borders.

Kylesh I hope you have a wonderful time in your kayak this weekend.Let us know how it feels to be back on the water.

Audball Do you have an appointment with your OS soon to ask him about the grinding noise in your hip ?
 
Kylesh Hi. Come and hijack my thread any time you want to - and feel free to add any hijinx if you'd like, too! Always open, never closed, no strings attached, no annual fee, no APR, no down payment...let's see what other phrases can I dredge up?....Money back guarantee? No, because it's free....ok how about Lifetime Guarantee?!!
You get the picture. I love company, so drop by anytime.

Kim22 How great it must feel to have a new hairdo! You look very nice too, by the way.
How lovely that your daughter and her family can enjoy the caravan, too. It sounds really nice and has everything you'd need for a holiday. What a smart way to vacation! Are there other caravans there, too? I think it sounds perfect - I love the ocean, and it's really your own home, so that's very comfortable for you. How far is it from where you live?
The wedding party will be fun, but I understand about not being able to dance as you once did...But by this time next year....you'll be dancing! I'll have to look up celidih dancing - another word I've never heard of.
You will enjoy taking care of your grandbaby, I'm sure. They are so precious at that age - really any age, but I love babies especially.
It will be so nice for you to get away to your favorite spot and take some nice walks where you can see the water! I'm sure you'll enjoy it more than when you were in so much pain last year. At least this year, your hip give you a little break now and then. I hope you keep feeling well Kim22 .

Littlejem Songlady zauberflöte Peaches LeeApril26 Kylesh TeeEm SeaSiren Elosarabrab nmscienceteacher Poppet TennisNut and whoever else happens by:
I was able to go to the end of the year luncheon today with the school nurses from the town where I work. :yay: It turned out very nice. My hips behaved the entire 2 hours in the restaurant, and only started to complain after I got home. It was really good to see the other ladies and to talk with them, and find out what's been going on in their schools, and my own school! The restaurant was right by a boat yard, so the view was also interesting with the boats on the water. And the food was really good, too. I am so grateful that I was able to go!
I have another one tomorrow with a different group of nurses that I used to work with a few years ago. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can go to that one, too. It's always good to keep in touch with people. I feel that I shut myself off a little after the surgery, as I felt so sick, and was upset that I still had so much pain. I think I"ve gotten over being a hermit now, though. It doesn't do me any good!

I ordered a free sample of the Elmore cream last night on line, thanks for the tip Teacat and Poppet. I'm anxious to try it!
 
ByGosh Kim22 Audball I think we are talking about what we call an RV (recreational vehicle) over here. Some drive themselves, others are towed. I have seen some doozies, and Kim22 yours sounds in that category with 2 bedrooms! I think I'm coming to visit you :) Here in the US there is a huge community of mostly retired folks who sold everything, bought an RV, and travel around from place to place, making friends and meeting old friends everywhere they go. I can see the appeal of that... wanderlust!

ByGosh thank you for asking! It's hot and sticky, but as long as i stay inside we're good. Yes, the 26 yr old left home at 18, and never came back. I keep waiting for the "W" word with him and his girlfriend of nearly 10 years... she's a wonderful match for him-- built in secretary LOL! The 23 yr old has just gone back to school for 9 more weeks, and after that we shall see what we shall see. I finally got to go grocery shopping today, and bought a watermelon-- will cut some up for supper!!!! YUM
It's great the whole GoshGang has jobs this summer-- they are a bit thin on the ground these days, aren't they?
And your luncheon-- YYAAAAYYYYY! Tomorrow's will be another such success :)
I keep getting a grinding sensation, but get funny looks when I say "I think I may have a ...screw...loose". Can't for the life of me think why. Lol
I will add my thoughts to everyone else's-- hope you can get that loose screw checked out asap!

The party includes a ceilidh dance and it will be difficult as I used to love to dance but will have to sit it out on this occasion.
Your social calendar sounds lovely, Kim22 ! Maybe you can do part of a slow waltz? Just a little swaying to the music? And enjoy that holiday-- 2 weeks is such a wonderful luxury, I know :)
 
zauberflöte Glad you got to do your shopping trip! Hooray for you and your hips. Watermelon is the perfect fruit right about now - so refreshing and juicy. We had our first one last weekend. Time for another!:)
 
ByGosh, so glad you got to go to your luncheon today, it sounds like it was wonderful. There's nothing like getting together with old friends and catching up on things. I really hope you get some good rest tonight and your pain behaves so you can go tomorrow too! I'm also waiting for a couple of my son in laws to be here at the same time so we can get the downstairs air conditioner in. It is soooooo hot and humid today. It's just too big of an unit for hubby to do alone. Although if he knows what it is good for him, he will put the little one in our bedroom tonight when he gets home!! I am much less cranky when cool! Especially since I have to wear these bleepin' TED hose...:skep:
 
Oh dear, sqwerlie I'm sorry I forgot to tag you, but I'm glad you're Super Sqwerl now and found my post anyway! It is hot here! There, too, it sounds like! I need the big A/C installed soon. I'm tired of being hot when I'm on the couch, which is about half the day. I hear you about being a lot happier when cool - it's aggravating being hot, I'd much rather be cold and bundle up.
How's the hip coming along? You don't seem to complain too much about it. I think that's a good thing - unless you're sorta like me, and try not to complain too much? I hope you're coming along good, gee you're only about a week post-op, too! Any more PT stories to tell? I need a good laugh.
I am going to take a nice shower and go to bed with my ice packs, nice and early tonight. That's the extent of my fun right about now! Oh well..."by this time next year....." maybe I'll have better tales to tell!
Take care of yourself and keep eating and resting and icing. The ice feels good in this heat, doesn't it? :)
 
Just popped in to say how FANTABULOUS , awesome, bang-up, banner, crackerjack, dynamite, great, groovy, keen, marvelous, nifty, peachy, peachy keen, phat, sensational, superb and wonderful that you got to go to the luncheon. :happydance:
 
ByGosh Great news! Happy you made it to the luncheon, and enjoyed yourself. It is so terrific to feel normal for a while. Hope the early bedtime and ice packs soothe you enough to make it to the luncheon tomorrow, too. Then you can rest again. I was reading in the threads about the difficulty of resuming social activities and it's true. Ver nice when you finally get to it, but lots of anxiety ahead of time. Hope the air conditioner made it into your bedroom window. It is brutal out there right now.
Kim22 So glad you were able to have a haircut. I am hoping to do so soon. Caravans sounds so much more romantic than RVs. Is a ceilidh dance a community folk dance? I've read about them, but never really understood.
 
ByGosh, things are going well. I haven't complained much because so far there isn't a lot to complain about. I feel almost a little guilty when I hear what everyone else has to deal with. I have minimal swelling, hardly any bruising, the pain isn't bad now after a week and I have a really cute PT guy for a couple of weeks! :heehee: On one hand it's great, but then there's a part of me that keeps worrying about if something bad is coming down the road. Silly I know, like waiting for the other shoe to drop. But for now, I am heading to bed with the ice and the fan to dream of the Canadian coming in the morning. It is strawberry season here, perhaps he will bring some with him. I am never going to be able to keep a straight face. He will probably chart something about that loopy lady on the farm.....
 
Hi ByGosh and all the other BoneSmarters alias Hippies who hang around this thread ( many thanks ByGosh)! I haven't posted for a while but there's a good reason for that - a VERY good reason! I've been in Spain for a week with my lovely husband. We haven't had any summer here in the UK and the flu virus I developed while in hospital in February seemed to re-occur every few weeks so off we went to Benalmadena for a week in the sun in a lovely hotel where we've stayed four times previously. We did have a great time but the reason for this posting is not to tell you about the hol but to tell you all about the things I achieved while I was there. After breakfast each morning, we have always walked about 1.5 miles to an area along the sea called Carihuela and sat on the beach there. I didn't think I would be able to do it this time and I felt sad but.... wait for it.... I did! :yes!: And I didn't sit and rest on the way there. And I walked back later in the afternoon. I felt a bit tired and stiff the following morning but I got up and did it again. And I did it every day for the following six days until we came home yesterday. I also like walking where the sea meets the shore and feel the sea on my feet. I thought that walking in wet sand would be beyond me but I managed about .5 of a mile on two days and it was lovely. And I walked down four flights of stairs twice a day in the hotel ( marble and unforgiving) although I used the lift / elevator on the way back up. I felt so happy to be able to do the small normal things that I didn't believe I'd ever be able to do again. It's given me so much confidence. And every evening for dinner, I dressed up a little and put on my wedgie high-heeled shoes and walked around the Marina and back to the hotel even after a couple of glasses of vino. So there you go - there is normal life after THR. And I didn't have any probs at the airports either going or coming back - I just gritted my teeth and walked. Don't worry about all the exercises and contortions we're told to do. I think they're the right thing for the first six weeks post-op but then walk! My OS told me not to do anymore exercises when I could walk at week 4 and I haven't done any since. Just walk. And walk. And walk. And you'll be able to get to all the places you've grown to love through the years. Must go and do the laundry now. Sigh.:flwrysmile: Ros x
 
Pre surgery did you often feel worried about falling, I did, I constantly worried I might fall and hurt myself and my balance was very bad, did you have that?
I was the same. I did fall a couple of times and it made me very wary.
Nylsor :yay: Wow get you! The holiday sounds great and you did so much. Walking quite a distance, also on sand and four flights of stairs. That must have been a real boost. I am so pleased for you.
 
Great news that you got to and more importantly enjoyed your lunch without too much pain later, I really hope you get to go the the next one today and enjoy that one too!! Watermelon yum yum, I love it but it tastes so much better in the sunshine!! :SUNsmile:
 
ByGosh I've just managed to read through a few pages of your thread and I'm so delighted that you've managed two luncheons with your nurse friends. I'm glad that you feel better as before I went away to Spain you sounded quite down and in pain. Funnily enough, I feel a bit achey today and my THR leg feels sort of heavy. Its either missing being sprawled out on a sunlounger on the beach or it's the thought of the mountain of ironing that' s waiting for me downstairs.:umm:I'm also delighted to hear you are getting on well Kim22. New hairdo, social events - you're on your way Kim. And yes, Elosarabrab it was a real boost to be able to do a bit of mental ticking off all the things I doubted I'd ever be able to do again. zauberflöte LeeApril26 - so that's where the sun has got to! I doubt if it's ever going to get hot here again - please send a parcel of sunshine to the UK- quick!:kittykiss: Rosx
 
Nylsor Lovely to hear from you and I am so glad that you had a wonderful holiday in the sun and that you achieved so much. You must be delighted to have accomplished so much walking. It's good to know how well you are doing as my OS gave the same advice to stop doing exercises and to walk as tolerated instead.
 
LeeApril26 ceilidh dancing originated in Scotland and is a form of traditional country dancing.The band includes a caller who demonstrates the steps and try's to keep everyone right but often things don't go as planned and mistakes happen especially after a few beers.They are great fun and a good laugh.I find them more sociable than a disco which is the usual entertainment at UK weddings but the dancing can be very energetic and really not suitable after a hip replacement (yet )
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom