Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
SeaSiren Littlejem Kim22 Kylesh Elosarabrab Poppet Thank you, guys! I appreciate your approval and support of my new thread - it means a lot to me. You're all so dear and sweet.

Hi Kylesh My thread has no hijacking fines, so don't worry about posting here! My gosh, my goodness, how could I charge my virtual outdoor guide a thread fee? Never! :friends:
I'm very excited about your upcoming kayak trip, and I also understand your apprehension. Just practice sitting on your kayak before you go, and getting up and down, so you'll know you can do it. Then alll of your previous experience with kayaking will take over. I'm glad that Garry is understanding and has extra stops scheduled for you. I'm sure you won't ruin it for anyone, and you'll be fine. If you can sit for a period of time, get in and out, stretch your legs, it's really your arms that will do the work, am I right? But please try to be aware of not twisting too much back and forth - I hear that can cause the hip to hurt (like when people shovel snow and then throw it over on the side and half-turn to do it - a PT warned me about not doing that.)
It will feel so good to "get back in the saddle" for you though! All that nice exercise, the fresh air and sunshine, the lake - you'll be so happy! Is your hubby going with you? You'll definately have to post all of the details for us afterwards.

Elosarabrab Hello there. Nice to have you come for a visit. You're right, we do seem to see each other and catch up on other people's threads. That's fine. It's hard to get to everyone's thread every day. I'm glad you like the thread title, too. How have you been doing? I'll have to pop on over to your place and take a peek.

I'm doing OK. The Prednisone that I was on really helped, but today I'm off of it, and I can feel the inflammation starting again. Hopefully, it won't be too bad. The OS said that I can do two rounds of it, if the pain returns, so I guess that will be the way to go. But it was wonderful for nearly a week to be able to function better. I do ok at home, but I hadn't ventured out much before, really. But with the pain controlled, I was able to do more and even go shopping once with my daughter - (I used to love shopping! Even just to look around.)
And we all went to my next door neighbor's outdoor party last night that was for another neighbor family that's moving. That was really a treat! I tried to sit as much as possible so it worked out pretty well. The food was great - a potluck, so a little bit of everything, and this is the time of year for yummy summer salads here. It was nice to see everyone and socialize a little. AND the best part is - I had some rhubarb for the first time since I was a young child! Someone made a recipe by Martha Stewart - it was Martha Stewart's Upside Down Rhubarb Cake, and it was really delicious. So that was fun, too.

Littlejem I hope your back behaves itself for you and you get some sleep tonight! It's not fair that you have to suffer with your back post-op. I'm afraid if it doesn't behave, we'll just have no choice but to call in sqwerlie 's Canadian PT for an emergency gluteal massage session... :)

Kim22 I'm glad that you can use the stationary bike. It must be excellent exercise for the hip and the leg muscles. It's smart of you to go slowly and build up your time on it. The sauna and steam room and jacuzzi sound like heaven to me! You must look forward to it. So you're doing a variety of things, but not too much of anything - which is good for you. What did your OS tell you not to do? Anything in particular?
You're previous job sounds challanging and rewarding. It's always nice to see a difference that you can make for someone in their life or with their health - especially children.
Have a great weekend!
 
ByGosh love the new title, hope you do too :) Way to go Poppet !

The picnic sans pain sounds glorious! Rhubarb, salads, summer at its best. And the week of almost normal-- I think that will be the next thing on your recovery schedule, I do! Even if the pain comes back a little, you still have one more round allowed you-- here's hoping you will not need it! :)

Kylesh I have to find your thread, but I'm guessing you're on the water now-- oh my have a wonderful time! You will build up memories to guide us little kayaking group with :)

This is goodnight all-- going to see the new Star trek tonight after supper, and it's a long song, as we musicians say...I hope we can get a treat while there, but if we don't, there's 33rd anniversary chocolate cake waiting here at home to accompany the ice and elevating! Happy Saturday night all! :)
 
ByGosh. Neat new title!! Happy you were able to shop with your daughter and go to a party. Hope the pain stays reduced. Ad, yum-rhubarb! Sounds like a good recipe. Enjoy the rest f your weekend.
 
Congratulations on your new title! I love it but the most important thing is that you like it. It's a good expression of who are.
 
Thanks LeeApril26 That's very nice of you. The rhubarb was really good and especially fun to eat because of all of the chatter here a few weeks ago about rhubarb. I just had to try it. AND it was a Martha Stewart recipe. It was very good, but I bet her line of THR equipment that Peaches has dreamed up, would be even better! :wink:
 
ByGosh looks like the food trail talk has moved over to your thread, with all this yummy talk of chocolate cake and rhubarb. I love it that we can talk serious about our conditions, the highs and lows, one minute and the next we're chatting about all sorts even chocolate cake and Canadians!! Going out to a party, did you have a lovely evening, it's so good for you to get out and laugh with friends, good for body and soul. I'm sending loads and loads of hopes and good wishes your way that the Prednisone does work and you get your life back. In the meantime Dr Jem prescribes more parties :)
 
ByGosh Great to hear that you have enjoyed shopping with your daughter and a party. It's funny that they served a RHUBARB upside down cake after all our discussions about it.Please excuse my ignorance but is Martha Stewart a TV chef in the US ? I am so glad that the prednisone is helping you and you are able to do fun things again.I agree with Janet we all need more parties.
 
Kim22 I think Martha Stewart is more than a chef, she does all kinds of homemaking and crafts, she is quite famous in the USA but I'm sure our friends can give you more information than I can. I remember seeing a film on her life once.
 
Kim22 I think Martha Stewart is more than a chef, she does all kinds of homemaking and crafts, she is quite famous in the USA but I'm sure our friends can give you more information than I can. I remember seeing a film on her life once.

Thanks Janet. A modern day Mrs Beeton perhaps ?
 
A modern day Mrs Beeton perhaps ?
Not as I understand Mrs Beeton. Martha Stewart is a...an American phenomenon. She is a very rich, multi-homed, too-much-energy-for-her-own-good Empress of Her Own Empire. She does have crafty ideas and home making ideas and how-to ideas and gardening ideas and stock tips and you name it. Her magazine is called Martha Stewart Living, and the photography is to die for. However, when, on her calendar she writes "open up summer house", she means, "send staff to do all the work so that I may entertain when I get there". Ditto for gardening calendar. Etc. The tips and projects in the magazine (and I'm sure she has a website) appear to be all done by her hands, but I think she has staff for that. She famously wore an electronic ankle bracelet to ensure she stayed at her house for a period of "house arrest", her punishment for a little insider trading several years ago. We would definitely want her to throw our parties, but we'd all need brand new wardrobes:yikes: :happydance: :heehee:
So, who's Mrs Beeton really? I think of her as a homemaking expert in the old style? 1930's?
Kim22 Littlejem
 
Hi zauberflöte Thanks for the information about Martha she sounds very powerful and influential not to mention rich ! Mrs Beeton however was from the Victorian period and she also made a living advising Victorian English ladies about homemaking including how to manage servants so maybe they have something in common LOL .
 
Hi zauberflöte Its me again I have just googled Martha and the first thing I noticed was how fantastic she looked considering she is 71 The lifestyle must suite her
 
Kim22 zauberflöte Littlejem You're right, Kim, Martha Stewart does look good for 71. A little too good, I'd say, almost like she must have had some help, if you know what I mean. Although she doesn't look all botoxed up....
She recently posted her profile on Match.com and got a thousand hits within the first few hours, or so. And she selected two men, and met them on national TV, it made such big news. https://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/martha-stewart-match-profile-article-1.1332665
She is very, very wealthy. Her original home, when she first started becoming famous was in Westport, Conn., not too far from us (under an hour), and just to be curious, we'd drove there on a Sunday afternoon to see it. It was nice, had a big fence around it, no where near as splendid as some of the homes around the corner, and the street was rather busy with local traffic (not just curiosity seekers, like me). When she was first famous, about 20+ years ago, we knew a family who would make a special trip there to Trick or Treat on Halloween, and she'd be the one to answer the door! We never did that, though, but I thought it sounded fun. Why not? I heard she gave out homemade treats.https://www.huffingtonpost.com/linda-howard-urbach/martha-stewarts-matchcom-_b_3306149.html
zauberflöte You did a great job of describing her! Thank you. I would have had to look her up on Wikipedia to get such a concise description. And I read her book, too! Talk about brain fog! How about short-term memory impairment? (me, I mean - not you).

Thanks alexthecat and Peaches and zauberflöte for the title compliments. I've been thinking about changing my thread title for quite some time, since it was very out-dated. I didn't know I could until Nylsor changed hers. And then when you brought it up, alex, and gave some tips, and a few other BoneSmartonians (Peaches word) gave some ideas, it happened quite easily! :)
Now I'll have to start looking for a different avatar, although I doubt I could be as creative or as mysterious as zauberflote, though. :)
And thanks for your well-wishes everyone. It was great not to have so much pain last week. I actually could go and DO things. Wow, it was a treat. But of course, I'm off of the Prednisone now, and things seem to be going back to the way I was before, :sad: although I hate to admit it. I seemed to be helped only when I was on it. I guess I have to keep searching for the right thing or combination of things, or something. Sigh - enough about that. I really don't even like writing about it, to tell the truth.
But this coming week I have to go to the nurse's end of year luncheon. I was actually invited to two of them, two different groups from different towns. I don't care what it takes, I'm going. I've been putting everything on hold for too long, and I need to keep in touch with them. If I can go to the pool and paddle around, I can go to a restaurant and sit and have lunch.
And even though it was not very comfortable , I made a Peach Upside Down Cake today. It looks yummy, nice fresh peaches. I was inspired by Martha Stewart's Rhubarb Upside Down Cake. Good ole Martha.
 
Hi ByGosh, zauberflöte Kim22 Littlejem SeaSiren Kylesh Elosarabrab Poppet
I like the new title! It's easy to peruse the thread titles and find you, ByGosh!
For our non-US friends, "Martha Stewart" is sort of a phenomenon and a style, as in: I decided to go out to the back field and get fresh milk from the cows and make ice cream with it, which I served in bowls with little cows painted on them and black and white "cow patterned" napkins which I'd make out of cloth I wove earlier in the day from my home-grown organic cotton." And... everything "Martha Stewart" is lovely/delicious/beautiful, so it's hard to get too annoyed at the "too much" attitude of it all!
ByGosh, I'm sorry the pain is recurring with the end of the pred. But - I think it's good to plan to go to the nurses'
lunch(es) - distraction is helpful at times in recovery I think. Obviously we don't want to get distracted to the point of letting ourselves let injured, but doing something else can sometimes just help me, (speaking for myself), regain a sense of... the world?... which I tend to lose while sitting in my recliner. So... I hope your hips permit you to go!
I have not picked any of my rhubarb yet this year! I may have to look up that cake! Although, there is a recipe from the NY Times Cookbook of 30+ years ago in which you make a rhubarb (or strawberry/rhubarb) filling, thickening with cornstarch, put it into a pre-cooked pie shell and then, when cool, top with whipped cream.... both pretty to look at at delicious..... hmmm... yum...
 
Oh Songlady I think I have that New York Time Cookbook! I hope, I hope. I just noticed today that we do have cornstarch, and I use those already made frozen pie crusts all the time, although I love real pie crust. I've never learned how to make it, or haven't bothered to try, really. I wonder if GoshHubby can manage to find rhubarb in the grocery store? That may be quite a stretch for him....he has no idea what it looks like. But that's what the internet is for - I can get a picture for him.
Strawberry-rhubarb pie is a classic, and the only way I remember rhubarb as a child. It's only from Littlejem 's thread (I think that's who) that I learned of all the different yummy ways it's prepared - rhubarb crumble, rhubarb fool, etc.
Yes, I agree about going out. I so totally need that. I've been reluctant to even talk to people I know about this, because I haven't known what to say. I know that sounds odd, but it IS odd that I'm still having trouble, I think. So lately I just say the truth - "that I still have pain, and it's some type of post-op inflammation that the OS says will get better but may take a while."
You're absolutely right about Martha. It is so delicious and lovely and beautiful and just right, but all a bit too much, I think. She even likes rap music, according to her Match.com profile that was published after she joined. Now, that's an interesting profile to read. I've heard that she's very nasty to her employees and a back-stabber. Oh dear, here I go, on a Martha tangent. I think I'll stick to rhubarb!
Glad you like the title, by the way. It sure needed updating. :)
 
It'd make a nice drive out to see where Martha started out, and your 'claim to fame' that you saw her place!! :) I'd always got the feeling she was a bit of a phenomenon, good at so many things and loved but in an almost sarcastic way, like she was 'too good to be true', would that be right? I'm glad you feel up to going to your nurses lunch this week, I don't know about you but I find that even if I don't feel like going to something, if I make the effort, I actually end up enjoying myself and not feeling as uncomfortable as I'd feared, lets hope this happens for you.
Songlady you need to get that rhubarb picked and turned into something delicious, such a shame to waste it and it actually freezes very well, what would Martha do with it?? :heehee: Have a pleasant evening my friends I'm off to bed x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom