Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
LeeApril26 I'm so glad that you were able to go and have your haircut - it sounds very becoming! And I love Marshall's. I have a couple of pairs of the backless Easy Spirit shoes, and they're great. I even wore a pair yesterday - and they were from way before my hips started, and felt fine. They were dressier than my usual sneakers. You had your first subway ride today! Good for you. I'm so glad you were able to do it with no problem. And I don't blame you for taking the taxi back, plus it's hot again today, and muggy here.

The TENS machine that TennisNut recommended looks like a really great one, it's small and compact, portable. But to get one, I need someone to prescribe it who has them in their practice and works with them, and has tried it on me. I got a few names from the company, but one is a chiropractor and I'm hesitant about having him work on me - I've never been to one before, and my hips hurt enough. The other is a neurologist with a malpractice suit against him - I read on the internet. I'll have to call the company and get some more names, but they won't be any where near me. I will research others - I don't know how to tell if the machine is a good one or not. Do you know anything about them?

I'm anxious to try the Elmore sample. Gregor said it was 2 sachets that are saturated with the oil. He said you get several applications of each.

Liveringer I think your roll Elmore oil is cheaper than what's on line. I'm so glad it worked for you. That's encouraging news for the rest of us. I think you and Poppet are the only ones here who have tried it, that we know of. SeaSiren said she found a store in New Hampshire, but I don't think she bought it yet.

Great for you that you'll be in a tournament soon! You must be looking forward to it. I know how you love doing that sport. Like you said, it's probably good that you won't be throwing so much the first time. Until you get your "groove back". I'll check your thread out later. Thanks for visiting over at 'my place'. I know you'll do great in your tournament. Throw a ringer for me!
 
ByGosh aw I'm sorry that yesterday caused pain...:console2: We will count it progress if the pain goes away 5 minutes
earlier than the last time, eh? You are very clever with the ironing! I haven't ironed anything yet, but I ahve worn things that ought to have been ironed on at least 4 occasions...:rotfl:
And Nylsor you too! Do the resting thing for a while!
 
Kim22 - I LOVE the expression "more-ish!" I have never heard that! Could you use it in a few sentences so I can figure out how to incorporate it into my speech? :)
ByGosh, how was your lunch? Was it tiring just to be "out" and someplace different for a while, in addition to your aches and pains?
It may be just me, but ... don't you think that when "out," even if you are mostly sitting, you might tense muscles more than usual and therefore get more sore? I sure find that to be true.
My first few times sitting through church - oy!! But it's getting better. Hmmm, could PT for you be to sit in public for increasing minutes per day....? (I'm sort of half joking....)
zauberflöte, Elosarabrab, Littlejem, Liveringer, Poppet, LeeApril26 - I got my Elmore samples today! I just ordered them ....a week ago? Two sachets in packets, each sachet good for 2-3 uses (it says.) I LOVE the smell! I rubbed some into that back spasm place and.... it does seem better. I loved the way Poppet had described the effect of "naturals" - they don't hit as when a pill hits, but at some point later you notice.... "hey, that doesn't hurt....!"
I will order a bottle before my upcoming travels!
 
ByGosh This may be dense of me, but why do you have to have the chiropractor work on you? Presumably, he has a TENS or Stim machine. Couldn't you go just to try the treatment? You have legitimate pain, and you want to see if TENS will help, and if so, can he give you a prescription? I can sure understand why you don't want to add spinal manipulation to the mix. I have a really good chiropractor, and I can't imagine that she would say no to a request like that.

I have both a TENS and an Ultrasound machine, both home models, that I ordered last year when my hips were starting to hurt a lot. I was desperate. The home ultrasound machine did nothing, and I was actually a little afraid of it. The TENS was helpful. There wasn't much it could do for bone on bone pain, but it was a distraction from it. I wore it most of the day for a couple of months, and it didn't hurt anything. You just need to figure out where to put the pads, and there are varying ways to use it, in terms of the intensity of the Stim. My PT is using Stim, which is a stronger version of TENS, around my lumpy incision. Not on it, but near. She said I could use the TENS at home, and if I wanted I could bring it in and she would show me the settings. That is what the chiropractor or a PT could do. Before the surgery, I wasn't worried about incisions or tendonitis, but I am more careful now. Anyway, I bought the TENS on Amazon, and the Ultrasound on Overstock. Would not suggest the Ultrasound.

I bought tan fabric slides and love them.
 
LeeApril26 Thank you for your very sensible advice - it sounds reasonable and it's great to get the support. I did actually leave a message there last week, explaining just what you said - I was interested in getting a prescription for a TENS machine, could I make an appt. and try it? They never called back -I just assumed he would expect to make some money from me, and expect me to be a 'patient'. I was a little leary that they didn't call back, but I'll try again.
And thanks for the info about the TENS vs ultrasound. Your PT seems very accommodating to you. It's great she'll help you out with it - I think it's a good idea to have her help with the settings, too.
When they used the ultrasound at PT, one of the techs said the wand has to keep moving or it can burn your skin. That puts me off a bit. It makes me a little nervous about using one at home. I don't know how significant that is with one you can purchase from the internet, but I don't want to find out the hard way.

So glad you love your new shoes. Tan is a great color, especially for the summer, and slip ons are very handy, especially now.

Songlady Moreish - I love their different expression, too. I bring them up at the dinner table - the kids find it cute and interesting.
That's something to consider about the tensing when sitting - Maybe but I know the flexion bothers me - at home I can put my legs up when I need to. And at the restaurant, I was leaning forward more, over the table.

I'm glad you got your Elmore samples already. :) I think you're the first of us to get them. Keep us posted on how you think it works for you.
 
ByGosh Well, you were so supportive to me yesterday, it's your turn. If the chiropractor saw you, and treated you with the TENS machine, he would probably charge for the session, but you would leave with the prescription. Would your insurance cover the visit? If not, it might be worth ordering the TENS online yourself, and starting at very low settings. There are online explanations of how to use it. That's what I did.

I moved that Ultrasound wand constantly and used lots of gel, but I was really nervous. Thought I might do damage. Should have thought it through ahead of time, as it was a waste. Used it 2-3 times, nervous all the way.

I think the theory that we tense when we sit makes a lot of sense. (wow, a rhyme). As I was reading about it I realized that I was leaning forward to look at my laptop, and the muscles around my hip were tense. Worth thinking about. Not sure how to remedy it, though.
 
Hi Kim22 yes I'm still using poppets recipe, it didn't help so much last night and I was very achy this morning but I'll keep trying. It wasn't really a job offer but there was a definite hint there, I would have thought that you would need to invest though wouldn't you think? I might ask but I already have a full time job with a great pension so it would have to be an 'on the side' thing or my semi retired hubby could get involved, all a bit 'pie in the sky' though I expect!!
 
I have just had an E mail from Gregor and he is going to send me a sample so thank you. He also mentioned that they have amended the application form to include the UK and Canada
He sent a reply to my email enquiry too. Maybe us Brits could ask Boots or another large company to look in to supplying it for us?
 
ByGosh, today, how are you doing after both the lunches this week? And - I have to tell you - something I learned with my first hip: sitting at a table with folks, I tend to lean toward them as we talk (or as I eat, in an attempt not to wear my food) and that angle is a HUGE, um, pain, literally. I think a year after my first hip surgery I had to watch myself when meeting a friend for coffee, and try not to lean in to chat. There are so many things I'd never even thought about before that became necessary to THINK about! With time, that tendency to ache went away... so my finding also is that these things have not been "forever."
The Buddhist principle of change and impermanence are things that are keeping me motivated these days, in hip recovery (yeah, I'm moving around and then hurting), job situation, etc.
LeeApril26 - loved your poem. :heehee: I think the best solution I've found is the try to remember to move every few minutes, or at least flex and release muscles, to help prevent aches.
Kim22 - "more..ish" sounds so ood that. just before Songman left for the grocery store, I added strawberries and heavy cream to the list so I can make a strawberry-rhubarb pie!:egypdance:
 
ByGosh, just got caught up on your thread...thanks for the link to the USA Elmore oil site. Went on and ordered my free sample...sounds as if I want it in my arsenal when I go back to work. Perhaps then my return to work will be moreish better...lol. My husband bought me a tens back in Nov from amazon, I believe. I used it quite a bit with the knee after surgery and wore it at work a lot for the hip near the end of the school year to help with the increasing pain. It really helped. Haven't used it yet with the new hip as I am so early in the recovery process. It had a pretty clear manual and the company has a pretty good website to. Help you learn to use it more effectively. Let me know if you want more specific info on it.
 
Littlejem He really asked you if you wanted a job?? That's something - he must have thought you had a a nice way about you and a very nice telephone voice. (He's right, although I can only guess about your voice from your posts, but I can guess it's as nice as your posts seem) Did you call him on the phone number he gave me for the UK people to call? Or is there a number that reaches him on the website from England?


Kim22 I mean to call him back and ask if Arnica can be used on the same places. I received my samples last night, and I think it helps for a while at first, then it seemed to stop, for me, at least. But it says you may need to use it awhile to get better benefits, and it can be used more than 2xday, and you can't use too much. So I'll use it more and see.
I don't mind the smell, it doesn't seem to linger on the clothes and it smells less than Tiger Balm, which is very popular in the US now. My daughter slathers it all over herself when she does her acrobatic/cheerleading/coaching stuff. It smells strong, but she swears by it.

nmscienceteacher Thanks for the TENS info. Its good to hear that it helped you. Boy, I sure could have used it this year when I was still working pre-op! I would pray I didn't have to walk around the school, and that there would be no playground emergencies. I was lucky that I didn't have to run outside. I can imagine you were in a lot of pain, standing and teaching all day.
I would love to know the brand you purchased, if you don't mind. I researched on Amazon last night, but there are many of them, all different prices and I have no clue which is a good one, which isn't, etc. Some are really inexpensive - I was surprised.

Hello Songlady Yes, the leaning forward does hurt... I'm glad to hear it gets better. The Buddhist philosophy sounds helpful. I'll have to think more on that one....
You were motivated to make a delicious pie that will be more-ish, for sure! Songman will appreciate that. Let us know how it turns out. It gives me an idea to do something like that, myself. Pies are one of my favorites. I'll have to look up a recipe.
The pain is a little better today, but not enough to make me happy. Time to put my thinking cap on and do some figuring out about all this, it seems...
 
Hi ByGosh. Glad you're a little better, but I'm sorry you're not More better (as opposed to More-ish!) Hmmm.
Today I've been hurting, and I certainly didn't do as much as usual yesterday or the day before. I did rehearse with some people for 30 minutes last night and then we had them over for dinner.... tense sitting strikes again? Hmmm....
 
Hi ByGosh. Glad you're a little better, but I'm sorry you're not More better (as opposed to More-ish!) Hmmm.
Today I've been hurting, and I certainly didn't do as much as usual yesterday or the day before. I did rehearse with some people for 30 minutes last night and then we had them over for dinner.... tense sitting strikes again? Hmmm....

Wow Songlady cooking dinner for your friends after rehearsal I am impressed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom