Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Songlady I agree with you that getting out and meeting other people serves as a great distraction so valuable in regaining a sense of the world which we don't get staying at home.I am still at the stage where my hip dominates my world and I am fed up with that situation but its hard not give it centre stage.
ByGosh I know what you mean about not wanting to talk to people about recovery as it changes from day to day I mean up and down.My husband has just said the same thing that when he is asked about my progress he just tells them that I am making progress but its very slow because my recovery has been so unpredictable.

Thanks for the information on Martha she sounds like someone whose bar is raised very high and consequently normal people with busy lives and no staff to do their bidding,feel inadequate.Possibly I am being unkind to her.
 
Kim22 I feel the same about the hip taking center stage. It's really only because of the pain. It's hard to get away from it if it's there. I try to ignore it, but I really can't very much. When I do try to act like I'm ok, I wonder if then I overdo? Oh well, there's a solution and an answer, it's just going to take time to find it.
I wondered which exercises or activities your OS advised you not to do? Has he told you to cut down on walking? I'm curious because my OS told me to do whatever I wanted. He didn't really understand about the lingering groin pain, I think. He was just looking at it surgically.
Don't feel bad about being unkind to Martha, Kim. She has a rather controversial personality, I think.
Littlejem I hope your back lets you rest tonight! Has it been any better lately?
And I agree about going out and not getting too isolated. I enjoy seeing people and getting back to normal.
 
Hi Kim22 and ByGosh - I found that I felt very shy, extra introverted, (yes, in real life I am an introvert) for the first month or so after surgery. When my choir stopped by one night after rehearsal to sing for me about 5 weeks post-surgery, I felt really awkward, uncomfortable, somehow. So it has taken several times of being out in the midst of people who know me well for me to begin to feel comfortable again. And still, when I need to be out to run an errand (like bringing my mother for her doctor's appointment) I felt as if I should be wearing a big sign saying, BE NICE TO ME! I JUST HAD A HIP REPLACEMENT or something similar.
I think you put it so well, Kim22 - "regaining a sense of the world" - I find that I am buoyed by that sense long after the outing has taken place. The ongoing challenge is to be enough "in the world" to benefit from that boost, but not so much as to feel a physical injury from it. I think that's a challenge we all have to one extent or another, no matter how smoothly, or not, our recovery is coming along.
A friend of mine with serious environment allergies told me once that if the event is going to be wonderful, she will take part in any number of "allergy-risky" things and just plan for several days of being at home, meds and limited diet after - and that's simply how she plans life. That has helped me with this hip recovery and several other medical issues in my life.
 
Songlady Thank you for your very wise words and I feel like I should wear the same sign to ask the world to be kind to me as I have just had a hip replacement.
ByGosh You are so right that its the pain which gives the hip its centre stage position if there wasn't any we would not give it the same amount of attention.It will be a red letter day when the hip doesn't occupy most of our thoughts and that day will come I know it.
My OS advised me to walk as tolerated but to stop if it hurts.When I told him that I had been walking up to a mile and a quarter he said that was ok. He told me to stop the exercises given to me by the physio and stressed that the best and safest exercise for hips at this stage was walking.He qualified that by adding that at the moment walking should only be on a flat and even surface and not on the beach.He was happy for me to use the stationary bike without any resistance and to do gentle swimming but no breast stroke.He also stressed that getting in and out of the bath was risky and would not be happy to try kayaking until one year post op.He assured me that the groin strain would resolve but it could take up to 3 months.The overall message that I took away was similar to the principles of bonesmart ie. it's still early days so don't overdo it , don't do anything especially exercise if it causes pain and the best thing for recovery is walking as tolerated.
 
ByGosh I am sorry that the prednisone wasn't a permanent solution... I know you don't want to write about it, but i know it is ruling your life right now, and I hate that! Your lunches out will be a good diversion :) You also divert yourself by flitting hither and yon and EVERYWHERE on this forum, encouraging and cheering people on! You are a shining light to me :)
When she [Martha Stewart] was first famous, about 20+ years ago, we knew a family who would make a special trip there to Trick or Treat on Halloween, and she'd be the one to answer the door! We never did that, though, but I thought it sounded fun. Why not?
That was when I was buying the magazine! You really should have gone, as her homemade treats would rival anything. I remember a few Halloween issues, WOW!
Possibly I am being unkind to her.
You probably noticed that my whole "precis" of her is unkind... she just is too much of a muchness for me, and I really wonder if she knows how some live!?!
The ongoing challenge is to be enough "in the world" to benefit from that boost, but not so much as to feel a physical injury from it. I think that's a challenge we all have to one extent or another, no matter how smoothly, or not, our recovery is coming along.
Exactly-- well said!
A friend of mine with serious environment allergies told me once that if the event is going to be wonderful, she will take part in any number of "allergy-risky" things and just plan for several days of being at home, meds and limited diet after - and that's simply how she plans life. That has helped me with this hip recovery and several other medical issues in my life.
I kind of do that too. Some of the places I play are pretty challenging for a wind player with allergic asthma, but I prepare for it and take my hits the next day, because either I got paid a lot or it was great fun LOL.
would not be happy to try kayaking until one year post op.H
Kim, I think i found a way to get into and out of a kayak before then, if it was the entry/exit he was worried about: get in and out (with help) as though it were a car-- rear first, legs in together as a unit. I'm going to ask about that, as I want to kayak in September if I can.

ByGosh thank you so much for hosting this free- and wide-ranging discussion party here-- I love it!
 
So many great replies, where do I start, ladies??


Songlady Very well said about the feelings of being shy post op. You do have a way with words and explaining things. I've felt exactly the same about "regaining a sense of the world" as Kim said. That's one reason I take and use the cane if and when I'm out. It's a little bit like a sign to let people know to be careful and maybe even nice. I feel vulnerable still, and a little uncertain- and it isn't just a physical vulnerability, it's an emotional one, too, in a way. We've been through a lot and it stays with us for quite a while, it seems. Plus we're always being cautious about moving the wrong way, or tripping and falling, or having someone bump us. I don't want to break! Of course I know I won't, but I still feel a little fragile, which I never did before. Ever.
It is also a real balancing act to go out enough, but not too much, Songlady. Sometimes you just don't know until afterwards when it's been too much, though.

Kim22 Thank you for all of that info from your OS! That's all very sensible. But I often find that I can do things and it feels ok at the time, but I'll get pain later on, and I'm not sure exactly what caused it. Does that ever happen to you? And my pain is definately worse as the day goes on. Although I have figured out that flexion of any sort hurts, and so does walking too much and standing too long. Again, how much is too much, though? I still can't quite get it right, it seems. Unless it's something else entirely.
I wonder if you do any PT exercises now at all, like leg lifts or ROM? I do some, but nothing with flexion, and no strengthening.

zauberflöte That's a very nice post! We can have a discussion party any time here, just like on your thread! :)
Littlejem said something about how it's nice that we can talk about our condition and it's ups and downs, and the next minute we can talk about everything under the sun - from rhubarb to diamonds. It's true, and very helpful. (I've found out that I like rhubarb, and what woman doesn't like diamonds?!)

rear first, legs in together as a unit.
That's a great way to get in and out of a car, and it prevents alot of stretching of the groin area. ow. I wonder about a kayak, though. Only because of the getting-so-far-down-into-the-seat part of it. Again, it's an OS judgement call, because Kylesh has the ok to go kayaking this coming weekend. Like so many activities, even wearing sandals, it depends on their own preference, it seems. Their own little quirks..
 
ByGosh, I, too, love your new thread title. And it does deserve a new avatar---so here's one that might suit you.

[Bonesmart.org] ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral
Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
ByGosh
Well hello there! It has taken me 3 days to get updated on your thread LOL! My, you are so popular! I have such a limited amount of time on the computer these days. I'm sorry you are still having to deal with the groin pain! It really saddens me that some people still have ongoing pain after going through this kind of surgery which is suppose to get rid of it. There was something that came to my mind as I was reading through your thread and the talk about the TENS machine. A couple of years ago, before I was bone on bone, I had an ugly flare-up (I guess that's what you would call it) of groin pain. It hurt so bad I could barely walk. Back then I would take a few Aleve (aka naproxen sodium) and rest and the pain would relent but it was going on 3 weeks and not going away. So, I went to my GP who sent me to PT. The PT used some kind of machine like an ultrasound that emitted radio sound waves. It made no noise and I felt nothing except some slight coolness. The whole time I thought to myself, "umh, like this will do anything". And after about 10 minutes of her running this wand on my thigh and groin the ache was gone. I couldn't believe it. It was something like this: broken link removed: https://www.ezultrasound.com/arthritis-ultrasound-treatment.aspx though not the exact one. Just thought I would share this in case you haven't heard about it either. It's a bit pricey to buy one yourself just to try it out but maybe you could ask your OS about it or see your PT again to try it.

How is your husband doing? I recall he had some back pain and got an injection for it.

I hope you have fun at your luncheon. Hopefully it will get your mind off of things and you will get to see friends and have an outing.
 
Awww bottomshollow That's beautiful. Thank you so much. I love flowers. And they're "bilateral" too. Aren't you the sweetest? I appreciate it! :)
 
Thank you for the link alexthecat ! You pop up when least expected, but most needed, it seems! :)

Teacat Gee, it's great to hear from you. I know what you mean about limited computer time. You have two little guys to take care of - you're a busy, recovering from a THR, Mom. How are the boys doing? Are they keeping you occupied this summer? Lots of playgrounds and swimming? The baby must be getting big now - almost 6 mos? They must be so adorable. Lucky, busy you. How's your hip now? I hope you're doing great with it - you need all of your mobility and stamina to keep up with those little guys.

Yes, unfortunately I still have this 'pain in the groins' issue. The OS said it was 'soft tissue inflammation' and would get better.. Hmmm... The nurse or med tech that was there at the time of my 12 week appt. said the same thing, and that she has seen it before, and not to worry, it gets better. Again, I say hmmmm.... I hope so! It's getting very tiresome to have this linger for so long and not allow me to get back to life. Like you said, we go through this surgery to get rid of the pain. It's frustrating to have problems afterward. And this really limits me and what I can do, which happens to be very little. I do ok around the house, and I can drive and I've been able to paddle around in the pool some, thank god, or else I'd go crazy, but not much else. The Prednisone helped all last week, but now I'm finishing it, the pain was very bad today. Maybe I did too much last week when I felt good - but that's what I say everytime it gets so bad.

My husband's back is ok - not perfectly better, but much better, thanks for asking. He had a shot years ago for it when it was excrutiating and not getting better. Thankfully, it wasn't as bad this time, and he can function without too much bother.

Thank you for that link to the machine! I will definately check it out. I don't know if it was ultrasound or TENS or laser that you had, but I'll look at the link. Whatever it was, it really helped you, and that's wonderful! Did she use gel with it? That's ultrasound rather than TENS if she did, and also TENS is stuck on with pads, and I believe you can feel a little tingling/stinging sensation with it. They called it STIM at my PTs. So you must have had ultrasound. I remember asking the PT about ultrasound, but he said something like it would cost a few thousand dollars to get the kind he has. I don't know about that. But thank you so much for the link, as I am becoming discouraged with this and will consider anything, almost! I'll check it out as soon as I post this. It was very thoughtful of you to find that website, Teacat. :friends:


Great to hear from you! I hope everything is going along good for you and your family. Have a great summer and give those cute little guys a hug for me. :) And come back and visit whenever you can.
 
I try to ignore it, but I really can't very much. When I do try to act like I'm ok, I wonder if then I overdo? Oh well, there's a solution and an answer, it's just going to take time to find it.
I'm guessing that you feel you should be better than you are and therefore you try to do as much as you think you should be doing, not what you are fit enough to be doing, which probably doesn't help.........does that make sense? It's been a very long road for you to take and there have been lots of ups and downs along it, this is hopefully the last big hill you need to get over before there's a nice straight, flat stretch of road on the other side. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that stretch is a lot closer than you think. I love the new avatar Bottomshollo found for you, will you use it? It's no good I'm going to have to find a new one I think for this new phase in my recovery?? :)

And still, when I need to be out to run an errand (like bringing my mother for her doctor's appointment) I felt as if I should be wearing a big sign saying, BE NICE TO ME! I JUST HAD A HIP REPLACEMENT or something similar.
This is sooo true and I'd like one of those signs too!! When I was out after my first surgery I was scared stiff I would get bumped or knocked over and would take my stick anywhere that I thought I might feel this way as a kind of protection. Pre surgery did you often feel worried about falling, I did, I constantly worried I might fall and hurt myself and my balance was very bad, did you have that? I'm really hoping I can feel better about being normal and not worry about that any more but maybe I will need to retrain my brain?

My husband has just said the same thing that when he is asked about my progress he just tells them that I am making progress but its very slow because my recovery has been so unpredictable.
That is a really good answer and so true!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral
ByGosh, so sorry that I didn't give you the instructions on how to make use of your new avatar. Here they are:


The avatar is already sized to fit perfectly as I have tested it. Just right click on the attached picture and "save image as" in your picture files. Then hover your mouse of your user name at the top of the page and from the drop down menu select "Avatar". Then click the browse button and find the picture in your files and double click it. Then click "Okay"and you are done.

I'm very happy that you like it---I have such fun finding them and personalizing them.

Littlejem, if you'd let me know what you'd like for a new avatar, I'd be happy to see what I can do.
 
Happy Monday ByGosh... :) I was sad to read that once your prednisone stopped... so did some relief... boo. Maybe you could try order or get that Elmore oil that Poppet suggests?? I just found a store nearby me that has it... maybe there's one near you? BTW where on the East coast are you? For some reason I'm thinking CT?

As you know, I'm a big fan of the TENS... are you still considering it? Been using it A LOT the past day... Don't scold me... I threw my back out feeding the cat this weekend!!! I know... on top of the other injuries... I really need Poppet to come here and put bubble-wrap ALL around me!!!
 
ByGosh I am not currently doing any PT exercises as my OS advised against doing any.I have the same issue as you with activity in that it feels fine when I am doing it but have a flare up of the groin pain a few hours later.In fact at the moment I am on the sofa with ice packs as I must have done too much today and the groin is objecting again and once again you are correct when you say it is difficult to know which particular activity caused the pain.its difficult not to become despondent at times with this one step forward and two back recovery.

zauberflöte.Thank you for your advice on how to get into a kayak which makes sense but I must come clean and tell you that unlike you and Kylesh I am not an experienced kayaker in fact I have never been in one.My interest in them grew over the past 2 and a half years when I was unable to walk on my beloved Northumberland Coast where we have a little holiday caravan I used to sit on seats overlooking Beadnell Bay watching people sea kayaking and it looked like great fun so my husband and I decided that once I had my new hip we would give it a go.So its a bit of a pipe dream really.At the end of the day I just want to be able to take decent pain free walks again and would forgo anything else including riding my bike due to the risk of falling off and damaging the implant
 
Hi Sweetie SeaSiren Good to hear from you! Too bad about the back! Ouch. It's very easy to move the wrong way though and have things start acting up. It's like the whole body is different, not just the hips, and one false move can get you. I can't stand that feeling of not being able to trust all of my body parts anymore. They used to be great before, and so predictable. Now - I can't trust em! And not just the hips.
Hopefully, this too shall pass....as they say. Or another one is "by this time next year..." Makes me think ahead and not get stuck in anything here that's causing distress. (like everything)

So yes, the Prednisone made me a near normal person again for a week. But it's gone now, which is really disappointing. I may have taken advantage of feeling better and just overdid it. Who knows? I did go out to the store and shop twice, and I washed a window or two, because I actually could. Maybe it'll calm down again - I feel better today, but hate to mention it because it can change again by tomorrow.

I would LOVE to have the TENS. Getting one is not so easy, though. I need a physician who has that particular type that TennisNut recommended (it looks great! and it's so small and portable) and there's only a couple near me .So I need to research it a little more.
What brand do you have, and where did you get it? I'm a little leary of just ordering one on the internet, as I bet they have different strengths. And can I even order one off of the inet, without a prescription? I'm so glad yours works for you. Anything to help the pain. I'm going to go on-line and try for some of the Elmore oil that Teacat got a sample of and Poppet recommended.

Yes, I'm from Conn., near New Haven, neighbor! Today is killer hot, how about New Hampshire? We're supposed to have a heat wave this week. No A/C downstairs, as hubby's back is being fickle. I'm hoping two of the big kids will be home at the same time, and can lug it out for us.

Take care, or you may end up with that bubble wrap! :)
 
ByGosh afternoon!How are you? Apart from the hips issues? What's the GoshGroup up to?

I threw my back out feeding the cat this weekend!!!
Oh you poor girl. You know, I came close to that, scooping a litter box today. Not my job yet, but hubby's gone for 4 days and we've had to lock one male inside the house, so there's a Real Need. So do you have enough ice packs for all you want them for? I will go check your thread to see if you have an x-ray update.

Kim22 I still think you will become a kayaker :) it's early early days yet!! Next year this time. When is it you go back to the caravan? Next week?
 
Kim22 I'm on the couch with ice packs right now, and every afternoon, too. It's the only way to make it through a day. Did you have the anterior approach? I did, and I wonder some about the complications associated with it.

I am definately ordering some Elmore cream or oil, whichever they are sending the samples of. It'll be great to try it. I still use Arnica, do you? I haven't found much of a difference, though. Ice really helps the most right now.
I don't know if I'm getting better at all. Yesterday was very painful, today not so bad, but who knows what tomorrow will bring? I hope it's not bad, as I have a luncheon to go to that I don't want to miss! I'll just take it really easy all morning beforehand.

Your caravan at the coast sounds beautiful. You must miss walking there so much! There are so many things that are taken away from us with this OA; it's really very sad. But I thought I would get them back after surgery. That's what's so discouraging - that it doesn't seem to be happening. I can understand why you would look longingly at the kayakers - it's such a nice sport. It would be one way to enjoy the bay if you're able to manage it at some point. I hope you can have pain free walks, as I hope that for myself, too! It's not fair, is it? This big surgery, and no relief. Well 'by this time next year...' I hope! For you and for me - and the others who still have pain.
 
I threw my back out feeding the cat this weekend!!!
Makes me wonder how big the cat is if the size of the food bowl in big enough to make you throw out your back...:kittykiss:

Kim22 -- As Bygosh mentioned, I got permission to go kayaking this upcoming weekend -- think I would die if he said I had to wait a whole year. Hold on to that dream, but be warned once you go paddling you will be hooked...

ByGosh -- hope the no fee hijacking is still is effect :tada:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom