BTKR -- May 13, 2013 **Pre-Op Journey**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Puffin!
Thanks for stopping by. Yesterday, I was reading your thread – you have been through so much! I’m so sorry about your experience with the bad night nurse :hairpulling: praying that never happens to you again! I know you have the date somewhere, but when is your procedure?

Your Swedish hospital gowns sound very comfy – the US should take a lesson! I’ll check in on you on your thread - :flwrysmile:
 
Hi inspojo!
I appreciate your tuppenceworth – thank you! I see that your surgery is scheduled for May 21, 2013. I’ll check in on you from the hospital. I hope everything goes very well for you!!!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Deb ! (akaGrammy59) Thank you soooooo much for the sweet words. I’m a Tennessee girl myself, born and raised in Memphis! So a big old Tennessee hug right back to you! :friends:
My eyes fill with tears when I read these wonderful posts from everyone. There is so much compassion here, it just fills my heart. As you said, we all have fears, concerns and issues – just knowing that there are those here who are so willing to lend a helping hand by giving great advice and a place to vent if you need to.
Thank you for keeping me in your prayers! I will be checking in on you as your Bilateral is coming up very soon.
Have a Wonderful Mothers Day!
:flwrysmile:
 
:hissy: Not wearing one of those hospital gowns. Nope, no way, not gonna happen!!!! I don't care how much pain I'm in,the first thing that goes on me after my Op is my bra and my nice pink nightie! I've never worn a hospital gown after any surgery and I'm not doing it now!!!:rotfl:
Second thing,my friend is going to give me my sexy red toenail polish!:whistle:
 
Hi again, Serious this time. In the hospital where I worked, when patients returned to the floor following surgery they were given a sponge bath to freshen up. We always dressed them in their their own night gowns, gave their hair a little comb and put their jewelry back on. It helped them look and feel as good as possible. I have had 2 C/sections, hysterectomy and a ligament repair of my ankle and was always dressed in my own clothes post op. I will be wearing my own clothes and not a "Johnny".:martini:
 
My way, that is very nice. I have not had that experience in any of the hospitals I've stayed. I was sometimes helped into bed, given my meds, checked on once in a while - that's about it. One major surgery I had, the nurses were almost not there all weekend. It was completely empty - I felt like I was all on my own. I managed to get to and from the bathroom, and I took my own little sponge bath, but never got any help from anyone with regard to that. Hopefully the hospital where I'll be staying will be more like your hospital. I would prefer wearing my own clothes - depending on how much energy I have.
:cheers2:
 
Hi Izzie, I had to stop and say HI before I powered down for the night. Today has been kind of an "off day", just a little lacking in my normal zest that is usually there even if there is some pain. So I rested, napped, TRIED to eat and chalk it up to the healing process and my stupid blood pressure that is going up and down like a yo-yo every time I get up to do anything.
Puffin, I love the idea of soft t-shirt material instead of the butt-baring gowns. I love soft material against my skin, especially when I am not feeling up to snuff.
I have had several hospital stays, the most notable was when I had brain surgery in 2001. I was in the hospital for 6 weeks, and occasionally has my own jammies on. But I also had bunches of electrodes implanted in my brain and the wires were bundled, head was wrapped and also heart electrodes. It was frankly easier to have the top half of me with the hosp gown and the easy access snaps for all the wires and just my jammie pants.

My new big ordeal? Shaving my legs! Taking a shower is such an energy drain--not to mention by the end of it I can hardly hold my head up--that I am lucky I get my hair and body washed! Legs?? Next time. Next time is now two weeks later!! I am also under orders not to shower unless someone is here. Hmmmph :gaah:

Don't wear yourself out too much getting last minute stuff done, try to go into this with a bit of energy stockpiled. Technically I don't know if that is possible, but mentally I would think it makes sense!!

Hugs and love to you, :cheers:
 
Hi Shelly, I just posted on your thread. The blood pressure thing is would drive me nuts! I'm so sorry you are having this yucky experience - darn! As for the showers, shaving legs, etc. - there will be plenty of time for that when you are feeling better. I know how wonderful it feels to be clean all over, hair washed, legs shaved ---- BUT --- for now, just stick with a sponge bath. It's not the same thing, but it still freshens us up a bit. It's not worth the risk of passing out in the shower or having such an enormous energy drain. I plan on doing only what is absolutely necessary and, when I feel I have more strength, I will ease into things. Do you have one of those shower seats? I don't, my insurance may not pay for all the equipment. But, if you have a shower seat, are you allowed to sit there and shower?

You've been through so much - brain surgery! My goodness. Please take it easy, rest, rest, rest!

I'm spending today and tomorrow working on my current house. I will make one or two trips over to the old house to meet with people to get some work done - but - that's it. My bedroom is not yet rehab ready and that is my priority.

Have a good weekend and a Wonderful Mother's Day! Today is my youngest 21st birthday! He was born on Mother's Day, my little gift 21 years ago. My gosh, how time flies!

Hugs, hugs and more hugs! :friends: :friends: :friends:
 
Izzy, check with your local church and senior centers a lot of them have medical loan closets and you can borrow a shower seat. The church I work for has such a thing and luckily I have the pick of whatever I need. Will be thinking and praying for you on Monday. Don't work too hard this weekend, you seem very prepared, good luck to you.
 
Good Morning Izzie,
How are you today? I did everything on my list from yesterday :egypdance:I woke up this morning
with so much energy ( not like me at all ). Today's list includes : Dig out 2 gardens in the back yard ( for my
mother's day pansies). Paint my laundry room a pale yellow ( small room like a closet actually ) :ok:My daughter
is in real estate so we are going to an open house, right up the street.
Happy Birthday to your son!!! what a great Mother's day gift :) I am keeping this post light ( tomorrow's will be
serious :heehee:)
I will be working tomorrow- but I like to be alone, so I don't mind.
I will check in tomorrow, please rest when you can.
What time is your surgery?
Sincerely,
Diana :flwrysmile:
p.s: I see the nail polish topic is taking on a life of it's own :rotfl:
 
Just popping in to wish you well. You are prepared and will do great! I was instructed to bring clothes (loose of course) to change into the day following surgery, plus my own PJs. Felt great to be "normal". Have a Happy Mother's Day, as well.
 
Hi Cindy,
Thank you for checking in on me and thank you for the suggestion of asking a senior center or church to borrow an item. I would never have thought to do that. I appreciate the prayers. Not nearly prepared, but pushing forward. Have a Wonderful Weekend!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hello Diana,
Congratulations, you had quite a long list of things to do yesterday. And now today ........
I want what you’re having! :martini:
I wish I had your energy. I’m working on my new little home moving things out of the way, gathering things I know I will need to have handy, doing tons of laundry, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. With two pups in and out of the house, it gets a bit messy. At least it will be nice when I leave it – when I return, that might be a different matter! :groan:
Have fun today with your daughter and your gardens – pansies sound lovely. My surgery is scheduled for Monday morning – arrival at 7:30, surgery at 9:30. :yikes:

P.S. I’m going to start a nail polish thread so it doesn't feel left out! :rotfl:
 
Hi Ready,
Thank you for popping in – your well wishes are very much appreciated. Doing my best to get prepared and gathering those loose fitting, soft clothes. I don’t really have official PJ’s as I sleep in t-shirts and soft pull-on pants, but that’s what works for me, so I’ll bring those as well because they can double for PT wear. Hope you have a Great Weekend and a Happy Mother’s Day!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi! My wife just read your thread to me (I'm not good at reading, makes me sleepy) because your date is the same day as mine! I give you major kudos for not only doing both of them but doing it with limited support!! This left one is being done three weeks from my right. I sometimes wish I would have done them both...I'd be three weeks out instead of starting over!

Anyway, your thread is an inspiration to me! Have a wonderful Mother's Day! I will be checking in and hoping you have good medical staff!!
 
Izzie Your time is getting close and all this waiting will soon be over. I think you will find that all this waiting is truly the hardest part. You have read and prepared yourself just like I did. Once you get to recovery, just remember all the things you have read on here. I cannot imagine going through this surgery with out all the advice that I have learned on this site. The info and the support will help you get through. Will be thinking of you and watching for your posts. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi, Izzie -- Just found your pre-op thread. One quick suggestion: Do you have slippers rather than shoes you can bring? Tying shoelaces likely will be difficult to impossible for you, at least at first. (Not flip-flop slippers, but slip-ons.)
As for PJs, especially since you're having a bi, think about a nightie, at least at first. Lots easier, particularly when you have the catheter in. That will be only a day or two, but still.
Take care. Whatever you decide, you'll do fine.
 
In the hospital where I worked, when patients returned to the floor following surgery they were given a sponge bath to freshen up. We always dressed them in their their own night gowns, gave their hair a little comb and put their jewelry back on.

This is interesting - in Sweden that attitude is very much "let the hospital do the washing" especially for surgery/ maternity although people pack nice outfits to go home. Some people even wear hospital "clothes" during the day usually jogging bottoms that only ever seem to come in extra long and a shirt all stamped "property of XYZ health authority". Although I think I will take my own day clothes for physio
 
So, Izzie, it's The Day tomorrow.

It will be as nothing. You will go in, they will very gently put you to sleep, you will awaken in no pain and with all the fear and anxiety gone. It's wonderful.

You will drift back to reality over the next 24-48 hours.

At the right time you will stand up for the first time. You must insist on two of the hunkiest physiotherapists to help you, and you can grab on to them as much as you like.

The act of getting to your feet can be a bit painful and challenging, but wait for it --- once you are standing, there is no pain. Your legs will be straight and true, you will stand properly. Your knees may wibble-wobble a bit more than you expect, that's because the bone spurs are gone. Don't worry about it, the physios will not let you lose your balance.

Then your recovery will start. Resting, icing, watching telly, resting, sitting a lot, eating chocolate. How cool is that? No jobs, no worries -- to repeat,

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it.
- If you won't die if it's not done, don't do it.
- Don't stand if you can sit; don't sit if you can lie down, don't stay awake when you can go to sleep

All the best for tomorrow.
 
Hi Izzie,
Just a quick post as I am on my way to work. Roy's post is wonderful :goodpost: If you are like me
you like things in "steps" Breaking a hard thing down into steps is the way to think about it. :)
Talk when I get home,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom