BTKR -- May 13, 2013 **Pre-Op Journey**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well..hello there stranger aka izzie. :) so glad to hear you have a date set..thought I would give you am example of all I took. But first!

I made it thru my first full day of work..then came home, cooked dinner AND did a little gardening :dancy: I feel super human today lol. However I still have bad days too. Not pain bad days..but still having those " all I wanna do is curl up and cry days". Bit they are not near as frequent as they were.

Ok..so when I had surgery, I actually packed about 4-5 pr of shorts ( I got them from WM...Danskin brand..knee length ..nice cotton easy to rest in and still wear for therapy. Also shopped around and found some colorful, uplifting t shirts to wear with the shorts. I took some longer pajama pants/sets as I found the hospital to be a lil chilly at night. Also take slippers...you want a non skid sole for getting up to BR, (putting on shoes for BR trips is a pain!). I took all my own toiletries...I hate hospital toothbrush/paste and shampoo ..yuck! When I got down to only 2sets of clothes left, I had someone come get them and wash/ return them. (I can do this for you!!!!). Don't forget chargers for cell phone /iPad / laptop. Yes, I took all that with me. Helped pass time..and our hospitals offer free wifi. If you normally wear makeup..take it! Nothing made me feel better after the first couple days was putting my face on, and feeling like at least I looked presentable. :)

If I think of anything else...I will let you know. I m so glad you set a date. Inbox me your info..I promise I will show up in your room to say hi/meet ya face to face/ be your cheer leader!!!!!!!

Hugs,

Sandi
 
Hi Sandi! So glad to hear from you! And, happy to hear that you've made it over the hurdle of getting back to work full time. :yahoo: Wanting to curl up and cry is perfectly understandable. I'll be very surprised if I'm not crying everyday :tantrum:


As for what to take to the hospital, thank you for all the suggestions. You are so sweet to offer to take care of cleaning my clothes. I hope I won't have to take you up on that -- this is an opportunity for my boy's to step up and get a little experience taking care of someone - instead of being taken care of.

Are you doing some PT? Maybe you are doing your own PT at home.

My computer hasn't been cooperating with me for the last few days - I'm using my little nexus tablet. Takes a really long time for me to type anything, but better than nothing.

I will definitely message you all my info. Again, good to hear from you.
:cheers:
 
I have to say, I am down on my one good knee and bowing down to all the BTKR folks... I think it is very brave to go through this with just one knee.
Good luck, I will be right behind you on the 20th, but just my right knee.

Quick funny story. I work with a man that had both his knees replaced, 6 weeks apart and I was visiting with him and he warned me of the anesthesia. He had gotten a spinal and femoral block and remembers the anesthesiologist tell him they were almost done. The next thing he remembered was waking up with both the anesthesiologist and surgeon by his bed. The surgeon asked him if he remembered their conversation, of source he said no. After the anesthesiologist told him they were almost done, he told the surgeon, "it was about damn time!"

Good luck!!!

Ellen
 
Good luck izzie in the next couple of weeks, preparing for your surgery,and wish all goes well surgery day. :flwrysmile:
 
My surgeon is not a fan of the spinal anesthesia. He likes his pts to stand at the bedside ASAP, and get up to a chair the morning after surgery. He does do a femoral block..which was amazing!!! But he has found that spinal wear off too inconsistently, and until it is gone 100%... You cannot !!! stand at all. And personally, I didn't mind going to sleep...when I woke, I was in my room...femoral block working, PCA pump going...I was very comfortable. But I understand others have loved their spinal..guess it is really up to each surgeon/anesthesiologist AND patient!

Well..off to work I go :). Later all
 
Hi Ellen (Elliemae) -- Very funny story :rotfl: !!
I think we are all brave, one or two knees, it's all big surgery! I'm not looking forward to the surgery or the recovery. The fear starts kicking in and I try to get myself busy with something. This forum has helped so much!
Do you have a thread somewhere Ellen, let me know and I'll keep tabs on you. Good Luck!!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi sheryl7! Thanks so much! I appreciate your well wishes, I know I need as many as I can get!!
:flwrysmile:
 
My surgeon is not a fan of the spinal anesthesia. He likes his pts to stand at the bedside ASAP, and get up to a chair the morning after surgery. He does do a femoral block..which was amazing!!! But he has found that spinal wear off too inconsistently, and until it is gone 100%... You cannot !!! stand at all. And personally, I didn't mind going to sleep...when I woke, I was in my room...femoral block working, PCA pump going...I was very comfortable. But I understand others have loved their spinal..guess it is really up to each surgeon/anesthesiologist AND patient!

Well..off to work I go :). Later all
Hey Sandi! I asked those questions at my joint class at St. Lukes. The nurses told me that even with the spinal, they would still have me up with a walker :scratch: That's exactly what I looked like in class! I'm not sure if that works or how, but okay. Is the femoral block different from a spinal? I know when I had my CSection, I was numb from the waist down. Is that a spinal?
What you had done sounds like what I'd like to have. :martini:
Nothing is etched in stone. The anesthesiologist and I won't meet until the morning of the surgery and it will be then that I find out absolutely what will be done.
Hope you're having a good day at work!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi there. To pack or not to pack that is the question. To be honest, I probably won't take too much. I did buy some slippers, but now I'm wondering if I might just take my Crocs instead. Must take my Kindle, perhaps a couple of magazines. a few snacks and some comfy clothes and essential toiletries. I think I just plan ahead right now because it gives me something to do. It makes me feel somewhat in control of the situation. I read somewhere ear plugs might be a good idea - so I'm taking some of those! Treats for the nurses are also on my list!
 
Hi Izzie,
How neat is it that you know Sandi? Is she the one that found your re-hab? & to do your laundry :heehee:
WOW. I just wanted to tell you that your attitude is " Awesome " & very encouraging for the rest of us!! :SUNsmile:
I hope you are not in too much pain :groan:to enjoy the days leading up to your surgery.
Take Care,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Hi there. To pack or not to pack that is the question. To be honest, I probably won't take too much. I did buy some slippers, but now I'm wondering if I might just take my Crocs instead. Must take my Kindle, perhaps a couple of magazines. a few snacks and some comfy clothes and essential toiletries. I think I just plan ahead right now because it gives me something to do. It makes me feel somewhat in control of the situation. I read somewhere ear plugs might be a good idea - so I'm taking some of those! Treats for the nurses are also on my list!
Hey Phoenixx29 - I'm re-thinking what to take almost daily. The weather her is crazy - hot one day, cold and rainy the next - of course, inside the hospital that won't matter at all! Sandi aka kcsandip, suggested taking some slippers to use for getting to the bathroom quickly. Your crocs are probably easy to slip on so that would do the trick. My hospital stress that we need supportive footwear for our walks and PT, which is why I bought a new pair of running shoes to break in before the hospital stay :dancy: . Your Kindle will definitely come in handy! And earplugs! I must not forget the earplugs - maybe an eye pillow too? Not sure what kind of treats for the nurses though - M&M's perhaps?
 
Hi Izzie,
How neat is it that you know Sandi? Is she the one that found your re-hab? & to do your laundry :heehee:
WOW. I just wanted to tell you that your attitude is " Awesome " & very encouraging for the rest of us!! :SUNsmile:
I hope you are not in too much pain :groan:to enjoy the days leading up to your surgery.
Take Care,
Diana :flwrysmile:
Hi Diana! Thank you for the sweet compliment!!!

I met Sandi on this forum. I saw her thread and noticed in the information about her that she too was in Kansas - small world! I wouldn't have known if she hadn't added that valuable piece of information, so I'm glad she put her State in there.

Since Sandi had her surgery, also bilateral, she gave me some great advice. The re-hab hospital she went to isn't far from where I live, convenient! I went there and got a little tour with a nurse and really liked what I saw. Sandi said it was very good, so that's the hospital I'll be requesting for re-hab. It's amazing that I was fortunate enough to meet someone close by on this forum - my good luck to be sure! Sandi is so sweet, but I will not impose on her to do my laundry :heehee: .

The pain in my knees has been with me for such a long time. I've gotten so used to it, I don't know how I'm going to feel without it - maybe like a new person :happydance: Much happier, that's for sure.

We are all so lucky to have found a great support system here! If we have questions, suggestions, or just want to rant -- we will get support no matter what.

Keep us posted on your upcoming surgery - when in June, which knee, and what part of the world you are in.
:flwrysmile:
 
I know what you mean about the pain and getting used to it. I think we will feel "lighter" somehow when we are repaired. No more drag and ache. Looking back I realize I started avoiding stairs at work about 7 years ago and now when I have to use them they seem like a mountain. I used to measure my decline by saying, " last summer I could do such a thing" and now its, " last month this didn't cause me so much pain". Funny, even though we live with this every day it seems to creep up on you. (I hope this makes sense.)

Good wishes for you on your big day :SUNsmile: and just think about all we will regain!
 
I know what you mean about the pain and getting used to it. I think we will feel "lighter" somehow when we are repaired. No more drag and ache. Looking back I realize I started avoiding stairs at work about 7 years ago and now when I have to use them they seem like a mountain. I used to measure my decline by saying, " last summer I could do such a thing" and now its, " last month this didn't cause me so much pain". Funny, even though we live with this every day it seems to creep up on you. (I hope this makes sense.)

Good wishes for you on your big day :SUNsmile: and just think about all we will regain!
Me too! Me too! Me too!
I think you are spot on! I do exactly the same thing :heehee: I know we will be so relieved to be able to do things that we only wished we could before - do them without pain - and get back to really enjoying our lives without always worrying about our restrictions. It's so frustrating not being able to keep up. My head tells me one thing, but my body just cannot cooperate.
I feel we are headed for a very big, very good change!
 
Hello Izzie,
Just checking in.... :) Sandi is a blessing to you, since she has been through BTKR.
:goodpost:from her. I think you are correct about it can only get better. I am not use to living with the pain
( only in the last month I have had any pain) :groan:I believe I got in touch with my surgeon at the right time.
Basically I think my knee has given out. The pain makes our decision to have this done the right decision.
I never second guess myself ( I am usually always right ) :rotfl:
May the days leading up to your surgery be calm & restful.....remember....Life is good :kittykiss:
Talk Soon,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Hello Izzie,
Just checking in.... :) Sandi is a blessing to you, since she has been through BTKR.
:goodpost:from her. I think you are correct about it can only get better. I am not use to living with the pain
( only in the last month I have had any pain) :groan:I believe I got in touch with my surgeon at the right time.
Basically I think my knee has given out. The pain makes our decision to have this done the right decision.
I never second guess myself ( I am usually always right ) :rotfl:
May the days leading up to your surgery be calm & restful.....remember....Life is good :kittykiss:
Talk Soon,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Diana, You are so right, meeting Sandi on this forum was definitely my good fortune! You are very lucky to have recognized your need for knee replacement before dealing with too much pain - thank goodness! So many projects need to be completed before my surgery - I'm working on them. I really want the weekend before surgery to be calm. It would be great to be packed and ready to go with my house in order - that's my goal. Thanks for all the well wishes, we'll stay in touch!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Izzie, I caught up on your thread, sounds like you are just about ready and you found a friend nearby! That is so nice to have found someone you can ask specific questions of afterward since she has already gone thru it.
I have also been trying to get organized and packed, hard to do when you have to pace yourself due to pain. Tomorrow I have to go out for the last time before Monday surgery. Have to get the oil changed and fill up the tank so when I do start driving again the car will be ready to go. I'm also going to get a pedicure, I got my hair cut last week so I should be gorgeous going into the operating room! Now I just have to pack, I don't want to take too much so it's challenging deciding what to take. I'm going to ask our question on your thread. Maybe we will get some good responses:

I wanted to ask a general question of you experienced ones: after you come home, for healing purposes, do you suggest a specific diet or drinking protein smoothies/shakes?
 
Hi Liddie!

I am very lucky to have found someone nearby that has gone through exactly the same surgery (BTKR) - what are the odds? It would have been wonderful to have met Sandi (aka kcsandip) before her surgery. I could have visited with her and helped her out a bit.

I wish I were just about ready but alas, I am not. I'm getting organized in my mind :heehee: but my mind powers are not materializing anything concrete yet. I hope you are not in too much pain. It is very difficult, physically and emotionally, to do anything when you have to deal pain. This time next week, you will have had your surgery and be on the other side :yay: I hope you are getting excited.

Since I never get a manicure or pedicure, I think this is one time I'd like to treat myself! I hope it's okay to wear color on the toes - I was told not to do that when I had arthroscopic. As for my hair ... it will have to be pony tail bands and clips for me. I will take makeup as Sandi recommended because I know how bad I feel when I look in the mirror and see myself with out it!

Maybe we should post our questions on a thread for the general population. I think that's what Judy was trying to explain to us.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom