BTKR -- May 13, 2013 **Pre-Op Journey**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Not too sure about the the nail color. I am a former nurse and unless things have changed patients had to remove polish. I think I'd get the pedicure now and enjoy the pampering. You still have 10 days to enjoy your pretty toes and just think how good it would feel.:SUNsmile:
 
Thank Izzie, I finally understand - duh - a definite senior moment! I was told not to get nail color on my hands since they check those nails for oxygen levels. I might just get a clear coat on my toes and see if that's ok, if not it's easy to remove.
 
Thanks Myway and Liddie ~~ Maybe just a fancy french manicure with clear polish on fingers and toes. I hope they won't object to that. They can still see the color of the nail if it's clear polish. I'll ask someone at the hospital tomorrow when I talk to them - then I'll pass their answer along.
:flwrysmile:
 
Good Morning Izzie,
Do you have your bone class soon? Bring all your questions, so you feel confident you
" know-it-all " :ok:I have 5 questions for my surgeon when he calls the night before surgery, taped to my
wall near the phone. The more informed we are the better.
I was reading the recovery side & stumbled across Sandi's posts. She is doing so well ( very active person)
She was rushing out to work.
I can imagine the comfort she gives you :angel:Have a wonderful :SUNsmile:day!!!!!
Talk Soon,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
I asked my OS about polish on my toes & he said that was ok, but only clear on my fingernails. A mani/pedi are on my to do list for next week! I can't wait! :)
 
Hi Diana - I went to my joint class last Friday. The joint coordinator gave us a notebook full of information and talked us through what to expect from the time we arrived, etc. The classroom was completely full and the information given was a little of one hour long - but we did not ask questions. When someone had a question, they would raise their hands, but she just kept going. Most of the things people wanted to ask were answered during her explanation anyway, so I kind of understand her not wanting to stop and have to repeat herself later. Those who had extra questions stayed after the class and she spent some time with them. I didn't stay, there was nothing I could think of to ask that she hadn't covered. It was held on the floor of the hospital where we will all be staying - the joint unit. The only patients on the floor will be those who've just had a hip or knee replaced. It was very good. My OS did not say anything about calling me the night before surgery, so I'm not expecting that he will. Hopefully, any questions that I have will be answered prior to the surgery date, but if not, there will be plenty of time the morning of since I have to arrive so early. My biggest concern is anesthesia which I know will have to wait until the morning of surgery because the anesthesiologists don't have a meeting prior to the surgery date. I did speak to the assistant joint coordinator early this morning and asked about the nail polish - she didn't sound too sure about whether or not it was okay to wear color on the nails. She mumbled something about not wanting to get anything infected. I will ask that question again to someone who will know for sure.
Have a wonderful day Diana!
 
Hi Minster - I have a call in to my OS's nurse to see if I can get a straight answer about that. Funny, this little detail - and - I never get a mani-pedi! I just want my toes to look a little nicer, that's all. Your 1st surgery is the day after mine. Are you doing okay? Hopefully we'll stay in touch to cheer each other on!
 
It does seem like a petty (pedi :groan: ) thing for sure.... I had my joint class a couple few weeks ago and I have acrylic nails and inquired on the no polish requirement. I asked whether I needed to take the acrylic off down to my own nail and she said that had methods to work around it (mainly for the pulse oximeter). I choose to have the acrylic and polish on my right pointer finger removed and left the rest alone.
I find that there are different view points on a variety of issues regarding this topic...
At least that is what I found out here in Colorado.....

16 more days for me...:shocked:

Ellen
 
Hi Ellen! I know the nail polish question is very petty isn't it :loll: I was wondering about the acrylic nail patients today. I realize they need to check the blood oxygen levels, I just thought they might have another way of doing that. It's really no problem for me. Since I never do nails anyway, I will just leave them as is. I finally spoke to my OS's nurse today to ask about blood donation and the nail polish thing.

As for blood donation - she said there is no need because they use a recycling device which allows the surgeon to return the blood you have lost right back to you. Nice! She said no nail polish on fingers or toes. She explained that they need to see the nail bed, so, okay no problem.

Ellen you and Minster are both in Colorado - I love Colorado! Here in Kansas, it started snowing yesterday and is currently raining (more like sleet) - not the lovely May weather we were all anticipating.

The time is really passing quickly isn't it! 16 days for you 9 days for me - YIKES! :yikes:
 
I'm good and we've been getting lots of snow...more than we had during the winter! We have taken to calling it Sprinter (winter + spring):beg: I'm hoping that it quits this silliness, so that I don't have to have the attachments put on my crutches for ice! It's the little things in life, right?

As far as the mani/pedi with my 20+ knee surgeries I've never been asked to remove nail polish. That's been at 4 different hospitals including St Mary's which is Mayo's hospital in MN. So I think I'm safe!

Elliemae, Where are you having your surgery? I'm going to be at Porter Adventist (Denver). Maybe we'll be at the same place?! That would be funny!
 
Hello, Minster!! First off, yes this spring or Sprinter :what: :happydance: has been good from the standpoint of moisture, just wish it would come during the winter months.... But will take any thing we can get.
I am having my surgery at Rose Medical Center on the 20th and am both excited and scared, which I am sure is normal. Just 15 more get ups to my big day.
My youngest stepson is passing through on his way to Wyoming and after he leaves I am hoping to get my carpets cleaned. I prefer coming home from any extended time away to a clean house so I am starting that preparation.
I also have about 6 weeks of work work to get done, there is never enough time.

Have a great Saturday!!! :dancy:
 
Hi, Izzie - good luck to you! It sounds like you already have in your mind what to bring to the hospital - that's great! I'm also not sure of GA vs. spinal vs. epidural. I always has GA with my knee surgeries and when i had my hysterectomy i was asked which i preferred. I asked for the GA and a morphine pump because i heard the pump was very good. Apparently when i woke up in recovery i was in A LOT of pain (i really don't remember). I woke up in recovery to a man who kept asking me why i didn't have the epidural. I had no idea who he was or why he was so mad at me! I finally mumbled "where's my pump? i want my pump"...when i didn't get a response i asked him who he was...he was a pain management dr. (with a poor attitude). i don't remember much else because they gave me some strong IV pain meds. I did have a catheter even with the GA and i didn't mind it at all because i didn't want to get out of bed the first day. Now i'm not sure what to do for my RTKP in Dec!
 
Minster - We've been experiencing the same "Sprinter" here - I just hope it's really over now and we can settle in to at least one month of Spring! -- The mani/pedi thing ... I've never been allowed to wear nail polish when I've had arthroscopic surgery, but it didn't matter since I didn't do mani/pedi's. Just this once, I wanted to have my nails looking nice, but alas, the nurse says no polish. Oh well. :heehee:
 
Hi denpucc! I'm not sure what the anesthesiologist will recommend. Obviously, my main concern is not being in pain. Although I've been told I have a very high tolerance, I honestly want to feel as little as possible. If that means being on drugs, that's fine with me! :heehee: I'm sorry you had a problem with your past "pain manager". I will definitely make a point of finding out who is going to be watching over me after surgery. That's really a big worry. As the day approaches, I find I'm more apprehensive - but, I think that's normal. :scare:
 
I think that, too often, we do not act proactively. It is important to talk to those who are going to be working both with you and on you---and let them know beforehand---you concerns. Talk the them about your options, your worries, and your fears---especially things that happened in prior surgeries----that way, they can best meet your needs---both through the type of anesthetic used, the type of pain management necessary---and, equally importantly, so that they can help you emotionally through this troubling time, too.
 
Hi Tim - Thank you for that. I agree, we do need to have those discussions. Unfortunately, I was told that I will not be speaking with my Anesthesiologist until the morning of my surgery. I want to try to cover everything at that time. Also, I'm putting in a call to my OS's office this week with any questions that I have prior to next Monday. I know this is going to be very emotional for me, but I will definitely get through it and a few months from now, I will be singing the praises of my new knees!
 
and a few months from now, I will be singing the praises of my new knees!
Yes, you will! It has been over five years for me now, and, except for the times that I actually forget that I do not have "OEM" knees, (I really can go for several days and not think about them!) I am very, very grateful of the new, active, and fun lifestyle that my new knees have given me!
 
Hi Izzie,
I had the same toe polish issue!! I asked the doctor and he said as far as he was concerned...no prob! So, my daughter painted my toes NEON pink! The morning of the surgery rolls around, I am getting all prepped in pre-op and the nurse brings me nail polish remover. I say to her "the doctor said it was ok to paint my toes!" She told me they would be checking for capillary refill, and I asked if they were going to check all ten toes. She just shook her head, laughed, and we settled on taking the polish off of one big toe! :egypdance: That toe was a conversation piece during my whole hospital stay! Everyone wanted to know why I had 9 neon hot pink toes and one very plain one! I sure hope someone, at least once, checked that toe for capillary refill!!

I do have acrylic nails, had them done the day before surgery. No prob with the pulse ox. If they don't get a good reading they just put it on so the o2 sensor in on the pad of your finger.

Thinking of you !!

:friends:
 
Hi Shellbelle! I hope you are doing well. Tomorrow is your 2 week anniversary! Congratulations!! :yay:
Ah yes ..... the nail polish issue. So funny. I spoke to a couple of nurses who've said "no polish on fingers or toes". I'm not sure why they would be so opposed to polish on all nails. For my last arthroscopic surgery I thought it would be nice to have a pedicure - no one spoke to me about no polish, so the day before surgery, I got my hot pink toes and as soon as I arrived for surgery, they handed me nail polish remover too! I'll bet your big toe never received that much attention - I hope it didn't get a big head :heehee:
I've been reading your thread but I'm going to scoot over there and get caught up.
:friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom