BTKR -- May 13, 2013 **Pre-Op Journey**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Elsie Yan! I'm not really set yet. I've been fully engaged in getting my old house ready to put on the market and have moved recently, so there are many, many projects that I must get done before surgery. I realize there's too much for me to do everything and some projects will have to pay others to finish some projects. Regardless, somehow, I will be as prepared as possible. Thanks so much for your well wishes! I will check your blog.
:flwrysmile:
 
Hello Izzie,
Just popping in to check on you ! I have been reading about the toe nail polish topic :heehee:
If that is your biggest concern, you will do fine. :)
I posted in Debbie's post to see how it went with the new surgeon today. I hope she get's a date for surgery.
She is in alot of pain & her knees are bent :groan:I will post again before your surgery.
:friends:,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Diana! You are too funny! The toe nail polish topic is out of control :rotfl: I wish that was my biggest concern. I never do my nails, so it's really funny for me to spend this much time on something that has never been important to me. My biggest concerns are getting things in order before surgery, managing the pain after surgery, being able to come home as soon as possible, and getting some great PT to have a good recovery! Truly, I am concerned about pain management, but I have confidence that everyone will be working toward making sure that all of us will have as little pain as possible.

I'm so sorry to hear about Debbie - I will pop over to her thread too to see how she's doing. We can all sympathize with the pain. I have not had bent knees but I know that presents other problems.

Take care Diana and thanks for stopping by!
:flwrysmile:
 
What have you started!! :heehee: I've been looking at my poor plain toes and thinking Hmmmm. I was even thinking about it as I lay in bed last night . I think they can check circulation without all our little piggys. I want a very sexy red polish. Yep, it's way out of control. I'm just gonna move along now......:whistle:
 
:rofsign:My way - I really had no idea this would get so much attention. It is funny and we need to lighten up I guess. I think your sexy red hot toes will be gorgeous! Go for it! We should do what Shellbelle did with a Minster twist. What about color on fingers and toes with clear on the index finger and big toe? :wink:
 
Hello My Way,
You too !!! Maybe we can get Josephine to put something about Nail Polish in the
library. :loll:Or, President Obama could speak about it at his next Summit meeting. :rotfl: Thanks so much
for the laugh today :heehee: " priceless"
Izzie,
There are hundred's of pain meds. to take, I'm sure they will take good care of you :friends:
Talk Soon,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
It's Wednesday evening -- only 4 more days until my surgery. I can't believe it's this close. There is part of me thinking I should postpone this surgery again, but I don't want to listen. I know I need this and the longer I wait the more it puts my life on hold. Since I'm alone, with no partner to help, I take everything on all by myself. This is one of the times I must hire people to complete projects that I know I will not have time to finish. My goal was to spend the next few days preparing for surgery and making my home ready for my return. Seems like there is never enough time and some things may be left undone.

Today, I finally connected with my OS's nurse. She answered my questions and told me not to worry about pain management or the use of the CPM or Ice Machine as there would be people evaluating my need for them. She said "whatever you need, we are going to make sure you get". She told me not to worry, wished me well and said she'd be looking forward to seeing me in a few weeks.

I also spoke to the Joint Coordinator at the hospital. I had lots of questions for her - she was patient and tried to answer everything I was asking, but, the nursing staff work with several different doctors and what is good for one is not good for all. She said several people will be monitoring me so I should not be experiencing a great deal of pain. I confessed my fear of a "bad night nurse situation". This happened to me before and I don't want to go through that again. She was very reassuring and said if anyone ignored me, I should call her or the head of the department directly and they would take care of it.

My emotions are all over the place. I'm fine one minute, then think about the surgery and recovery and tear up. These are one of those times I especially miss my Mother. I keep reading over the encouragement I've received from everyone and it makes me feel like I'm not alone. I really appreciate all the guidance from the senior members on this forum and all the new people I've met.

Okay, enough of that ... as Scarlet would say "After all tomorrow is another day!"
:flwrysmile:
 
Oh Izzie, I am sending you the biggest hug EVER!!! You need a shoulder to boo-hoo on and then sniffle and then just laugh! My best friend did that for me, believe it or not I did not have a serious case of jitters until I was actually in pre-op the morning of surgery! This friend happens to be the other grandma of my grandsons...my daughter and her son were married and had the boys. Divorced now, but we were friends before and remain the bestest of friends now. And being grandmas together is so much fun. When we have the boys and they say "Grandma" we both answer!
Anyway..........I was sort of nervous about the night nurse thing, but actually my night nurses were the best ever. I had one RN/aide team who I hugged goodbye the last night they worked. I am planning on sending a note personally to them and to the hospital. The aide even brought her baby into meet me the last morning! She had a meeting and just stopped in to say hi.
I talked to everyone, made friends with all, and firmly believe you get back what you put out into the universe. The kitchen aide even helped my with my menu the day I had no appetite and nothing sounded good!
I believe you are one of those people and you will do just fine. Not saying that the whole thing is a walk in the park, but it sounds like you are going to be in a fabulous place and will be well taken care of.
Are you alone at home? Do you have support heading into the surgery? Will someone be there after surgery?
So, a big big hug headed your way, and tomorrow morning it will only 3 more sleeps!

Love and light :friends:
 
Shelly, thank you so much! Your best friend sounds wonderful. My best friend is in California, which is where I moved from, so she supports me long distance. It's still comforting to know that she's with me even though it's long distance. Your nursing team sounds wonderful. I should be so lucky! I believe as you do - whatever you are putting out into the Universe is what returns to you. I really love people and do my best to let them know that, so hopefully, all will go well. If I can have a recovery similar to yours I will be very happy about it! Recovery will be challenging and difficult at times, you are right - not a walk in the park. But ... I am looking forward to someday soon having a real walk in the park - without pain! :heehee:


I am home alone - in the sense that I have no spouse/partner. My two wonderful boys live with me (21 and 22) but ... my oldest will be leaving right after I return home from the hospital. He's off to basic training - Air Force National Guard. My younger one is a student but will be with me and I know he will do his best. They will both be with me the morning of surgery and after. While I'm in the hospital, they will visit and when I come home, it will be me, my youngest son, the two pups and the cat! This is the first time they've ever had to see me go through anything like this. I had a long battle with breast cancer when they were 3 and 4, but they don't really remember much about that. They've only see me be this very active, single mom, trying to do everything myself.

Everything will work out fine. I think home health will be looking in on me and I have a neighbor who would help me if I really need her. We're not close, but she said if I need anything to let her know. Thanks so much for the hugs, love and light! I take them and send the same to you :friends:
 
Hello Izzie,
If you believe what you put out in the universe comes back to you, You have only good
coming your way :) I don't know you, but feel you are a compassionate, caring, wonderful lady.
You have helped so many others & now it's time for us to help you :friends:You are so informed about your
surgery & have gotten all your questions answered ( your staff sounds wonderful). Now for some step-step
instructions.
1. You said you wished you had your Mom with you, you still can. She never left you.
When I am at work at night by myself, I look up to the stars & have a conversation with my mom
& sister ( I don't talk out loud :wink:) They have answered questions for me & made me feel
peaceful inside :angel:
2. You can get this same peaceful feeling by getting comfortable in your bed, lay flat with your
feet up & lots of pillows to support you, now breathe deeply through your nose & slowly out
your mouth. Let your mind go blank, after a few moments picture yourself in a peaceful setting
( mountains, field of flowers, beach) This really works for me to calm me down.
I normally don't post on the weekends, but will to check up on you !!!
Do you have any plans for Mother's Day ?
Talk Soon,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Diana, Thank you so much for the kind words! I had a big cry reading what you wrote -- it's a good thing, I think I needed to just let it out. I know our loved ones who have passed are watching over us. Sometimes I forget we can really connect to them, thank you for sharing your experience. I think it's time I had a conversation with my Mother. And, I will definitely follow your relaxation technique -- sounds peaceful just reading through it.
Thanks for checking in on me. No big Mothers Day plans, hopefully, just a nice quiet day, putting last minute things together and a good dinner with my two boys. Hope you have a lovely weekend!
Again, thank you for all the compassionate words and encouragement, I really appreciate them :friends:
 
Hi Izzie! I have enjoyed reading your thread, so many of the same issues I dealt with, and like you, I tried to get as much information going into surgery, as possible. This website is definitely the best source, and also your OS and his staff, of course. Mine did spell out in his instructions, no polish! Just yesterday, I finally put some nail polish on my toesies again, and told my daughter, I just couldn't stand looking at the pale plain toenails any more, I have worn sexy red polish on my toenails all my life, Summer and Winter, rain or shine!! :egypdance: But back when I had my arthroscopy, they also told me that in case of emergency, if they have to use defibrillator, it can also be of danger, if the polish has any metal parts in it, maybe I'm wrong on that one, but just in case, I did always take everything off, for surgeries.

We have so much in common, and I'm here for you, and will follow your journey and hope to be of some help. I know the fears, and the last minute questions and doubts. I can assure you now, 3 weeks out of surgery, that even with all the misc. aches and pains that come along with surgery, it's not as bad as living with the constant chronic pain of knees that are swollen with fluid (I had the same problem, I retain fluid easily in general, and you might want to be prepared for some edema, just in case, and line up someone in PT who is experienced in lymph massage. Just in case!!

Sending you some big hugs, do not be scared of the night nurse, I think there were things going on at this hospital, that are under cover to general public, but they just changed name, and everything is a bit topsy turvy, schedules and transfers, I was not aware of but had a call from a hospital administrator, after my discharge survey got his attention, and he apologized and told me some things, that helped explain, if not excuse, the disgruntled nurses. Oh well, I survived, and there really were plenty of wonderful and professional nurses and assistants, and dietary folks around, to make up for the not so wonderful ones.

If you have any questions at all, please let me know, my best wishes and thoughts are with you, and I know you will be fine, you have a great attitude, and I think it goes a long way with this type of surgery and esp. the recovery!!

BIG HUGS!!!:friends:
 
Hi Barb! Thank you sooooo much for all the encouragement, advice and support - believe me, it is very much appreciated! I will definitely speak to someone about the lymph massage. Because my poor knees are always so swollen and fluid filled, it's very difficult to walk normally and I find myself just shifting my weight from one side to the other - not walking properly of course - and my hip joints are hurting badly now. When my knees are not swollen with fluid, I get around very well. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen very often.

The nail polish thing! :rotfl: What you explained makes perfect sense! I will wait until after my surgery to treat myself and get a mani/pedi at some point. Then I will really be able to enjoy it.

Since I had my experience with a "not so nice night nurse", I really sympathize when anyone goes through something like that. The joint coordinator tried to assure me that nothing like that would happen, but, as I said before, she told me to contact her directly if it did. I will stay very positive on that and hope that I'll have a wonderful nursing staff, like Shellebelle, and will definitely take some treats for the nurses as suggested by a few on this forum.

Thank you for checking in on me, the best wishes and BIG HUGS! Sending some to you!!! :friends:
 
Hi Izzie, thinking about you and hoping you had a good day today. You are so close to the point of "if it doesn't get done, the heck with it!" And you really aren't going to care for several weeks after surgery. Today was the first day I actually thought about the plants on my patio and whether they needed water. Didn't care enough to go check as that would involve getting up and taking 8 steps to check (yes, my apartment is small and cozy) but tomorrow I may check. Then I will figure out a way to get the water to them. I did rig a basket on my walker so as long as there is a lid, I will be in business!
Take care, and soon you will one another sleep down in these horrid last days of waiting!

Hugs to you xx:friends:
 
Hi Shelly,

Thanks so much for checking in on me. I'm at that point for sure! Today, my knees were hurting so bad and my hips started hurting and I was thinking "don't you dare back out now!" I'm grateful for the support of you and others on this forum. It really means a lot and helps me so much. I don't mind living "alone" - I quite enjoy it. Of course, my boys are still with me, but they are not around a lot which is fine.

I was thinking about the plant thing today. Funny you brought that up. I don't like to have to water a lot, and was thinking of maybe purchasing something I saw at Lowe's. You put your plants in and there is a water reservoir, so you don't need to water for up to 2 weeks. Just a thought.

As for rigging up your walker :heehee: I think you should get some bungy cords and a watering can and fashion yourself a little watering device on your walker!

I like a cozy apartment. Recently I moved to a much smaller home and just love it. Everything is within reach and I don't have to go upstairs to my bedroom anymore - it's on the main level. I'm working on it the next couple of days to make it more friendly for my return home. I still have many boxes to unpack and things to put away. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can get it done - or almost done.

Have a good rest tonight - I hope you are feeling good
Thanks for everything - Big Hugs to you!!! :friends:
 
Good Morning Izzie,
Just stopping by to see how you are today. :) My, you just recently moved also, You
must be exhausted :bow:Take time to relax over the weekend. Last night at work while I was "talking"to my mom
I was also thinking about you. Did you hear me? :) I have a full day of activity for today ( I have the night
of work) Mowing the lawn, weed wacking, washing comforters. We'll see how much I actually accomplish :heehee:
As I see things, from my last surgery once you are getting ready for surgery. It's not bad. If you tell them you are nervous they just let the I.V drip. I came to in recovery- didn't remember a thing. :zzz:
Have a wonderful Mothers Day ! (your boys sound wonderful) I'll check back tomorrow :friends:
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
It has been such a joy to read your thread with all of your pre-surgery planning - I am at that same stage of trying to decide what to pack/not pack

I have also been fearing the "bad night nurse" situation as I had a horrible one when I was admitted through the E&R/A&E after my original accident. There was one that made me feel that I was faking my injuries (the full extent was not known at the time of my accident). She put me on the far side of the ward as it was "healthy to walk" even though it got to the stage where I passed out with pain/made me try and climb stairs (which I refused to do) - when I got home I got a letter from the OS that said that I should continue to be totally non-weighbearing for a total of 10 weeks to try and stabilize the ruptured PCL in particular - so I should not have been walking at all :hairpulling: Yet other staff were very nice - and the workshop technicians were great

However one great thing in Swedish hospitals is the hospital gown. I hated the nasty UK gowns with ties at the back (usually a strategic one missing revealing your butt). However in Sweden the hospital gown is made of a soft, thin T-shirt material and it is shaped as an knee-length night shirt with buttons at the FRONT. So comfortable and so simple!
:thumb:
 
To Izzie.. let me just throw in my tuppenceworth and wish you every good thing next week and following weeks !
 
Hi Diana, My goodness, you have a lot to accomplish! I know you'll get it done. Last night, I was talking to my Mother too! What a coincidence. I decided to follow your guidance and it was very nice. I fell asleep comfortably and got a pretty good nights rest. As for my being nervous, the whole thing hits me hard when I'm being plugged into the IV's and everyone is rushing around in that cold, sterile environment. No turning back. Then I start to cry - it just needs to come out I guess. They will probably start dripping something in the IV (as you said) and I'll be fine. Yes, I did just recently move and was hoping that I'd have finished getting my old house ready to put on the market, but, alas - I don't see how that's going to happen. It's almost there, but still several things to be done yet. After the surgery and in-patient rehab, I will ask my boys if they can supervise some of the work and one way or another, we'll get it done. Physically, I won't be able to help. My new place is not yet "rehab friendly" -- that's my big project for the next two days. My boys really have been wonderful - not perfect, but neither am I! Good luck with everything - it sounds fun! Hope you have a wonderful weekend - Happy Mother's Day!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Izzie, I have just been reading through your recent posts and responses. I just love this forum, it shows me that we are all in this together and have lots of the same issues, concerns and fears. Everyone has a way of making you feel so much better. I just had a pity party on my thread, and I've learned that I'm not the only person who gets sad or down. I don't have any wise words of wisdom, but I can offer understanding, compassion, and sometimes I'm good for a few laughs!! And you will most definitely be in my prayers on Monday. Please try to have a relaxing, restful, calm weekend, and don't stress over your surgery. Our God is wonderful and He will see you through!! And you already know that all of us here will be thinking about you and hoping and praying for the very best for you. Big old Tennessee hug to you!!:friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom