Bilateral TKR BTKR ~~ May 13, 2013 ~~ Post-Op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ellen, It helps to have a village get you through this - the Bonesmart village. You are so sweet. I've never been anyone's Hero! You have a few days and they will go by in a flash. Once you start your day for the trip to the hospital, you are on your way to a wonderful, pain free, new knee! Everyone will tell you what they told me -- the waiting is the hard part. Once the surgery is done, you will be surprised at how happy you will be. I'm doing my best and will keep posting. You're going to be fine - really - I promise!
:friends:
 
Hi jimbojunk! Are you home yet, or going home soon? I hope you are getting around very well. Since you now have two new knees, you are done :yay: Aren't you happy! I sure am. These new knees are working beautifully. The little pain that I'm having is nothing compared to the pain I had before surgery. It is busy here, with the schedule, but it's all been very good. OT's and PT's have been so sweet. They push, not too hard, just enough. I am anxious to see how I'll be doing on Monday. Hope you are doing well!
:happydance:
 
Hi Janet, Are you still in Colorado? I hope you are having a wonderful time! Thank you for the encouragement. You are such an inspiration to me. I don't think I'll be wonder woman, but maybe I can be your sidekick! :heehee:
 
Hi Diana, The therapists here really do keep you busy. By the end of the day, around 4 PM, I am tired. In between the therapies, I elevate and ice in a recliner and get ready for the next round. You can direct anyone you like. I have been helped by you and so many on this forum, I'm happy if I can help anyone. Hope you have a wonderful weekend too! :friends:
 
Hi Kavan, Thank you for your kind words. I am so lucky to have found the wonderful people on this forum. They are all so helpful. I'm sure you've read some other threads. Honestly, I was frightened before, but they kept reassuring me and they were RIGHT! Every single thing they advised me about, all the information, all the support - they've been so great! You will be just fine!
:flwrysmile:
 
Day 5 -- Post-Op
Last night, very little sleep, pain medications made me nauseous and still waiting for that first grand BM! Had to skip breakfast and pain meds before the first OT this morning. Yesterday and today, OT helped me with a shower, getting dressed and ready for the day. After OT, PT was a bit difficult, but I worked through it, got some great stretches and bends and felt like I really made progress. The doctor watching over me in rehab (not my OS) was concerned about my IMR - he was very serious about me taking Levaquin and stopping Coumadin because he is worried about my risk of getting a blood clot. This morning was my first injection.

I've been asking for days about something to take to break through this constipation caused by all the drugs. Today, I finally received a couple of different laxatives and am now anxiously awaiting the arrival of something special!

My pain is very well controlled. I'm taking hydrocodone every six hours now and spoke with the doctor about perhaps transitioning to Tramadol before I leave rehab. She said that could definitely be done. If I can leave with no narcotics I will love that! I believe my level of pain prior to surgery was so great that the pain I'm having now is really manageable. I'm not saying that I will be able to control the pain without the narcotics, but if I can, I will. Everyone's experience is just a little different. And, what everyone has told me is to do what works best for me.

Some of the best advice I was given prior to surgery was to work on upper body strength. And, I know it has helped me a lot. I should have practiced holding myself up when getting out of a chair and if someone has a walker, I would say that practicing holding your body while letting your lower half go a little limp would also be a good idea. But, even if you don't - you will still be fine. I think Janet2012 did a great job of conditioning prior to surgery and I know there are others who have done the same thing.

If anyone is having bilateral, I would recommend that you bring lots of long stretchy pants. I brought some shorter ones and have never used them. I like that my legs are covered during therapy and if I need to pull up the pant leg for measurements, it's easy. Plus, if you are too tired, you can just get in bed with those clothes on as you will shower and change in the morning. I would also recommend bringing a power strip and all your chargers - phone, tablet, laptop, etc. And ... a laundry bag to put all your used clothing in to keep them in one place and ready to throw in the laundry.

Part of the OT here is to cook (some folks made brownies today), do laundry (the laundry was full when I went to my 2nd PT today) In my rehab, there are so many different kinds of people. It's nice to see everyone and how hard they are working, no matter how young or old.

Monday, the nurses and doctors will get together and give their evaluations of me. I want to go home as soon as possible, but not before I'm ready to take care of myself. It's one thing to do well in rehab and a completely different thing to do well at home alone. I spoke to one of the RN's who will be discussing my case and explained to her that I would like to stay as long as possible to prepare me for going home. My youngest son has a new work and school schedule and will be away from home more than before. Since I won't have any help during the day, I know I will need to be at a certain level to take care of myself properly.

Since I'm still not getting proper sleep, I've asked for a sleep aid and should be getting Lunesta in a little while. Hope I finally get some of these :sleep:

Sorry for repeating myself ..... you all are amazing!!! Without your advice, support and encouragement, I know for sure I would not be doing as well as I am. Thank you all!!! OOXX
:friends: :friends: :puppysmooze: :kittykiss:
 
[Bonesmart.org] BTKR ~~ May 13, 2013 ~~ Post-Op
izzie, what a great report. You're really doing very well---and you have a great attitude which goes a long, long way in making recovery an easier road to travel. You're staying on top of the main things---pain, keeping bowels working, and getting some quality sleep. I think it won't be long before you can go home. With the right organization, you won't have any trouble taking care of yourself during the day. Just be sure you have a plan for what you'll do during the wee hours when you can't sleep (which you may skip with the Lunesta).

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] BTKR ~~ May 13, 2013 ~~ Post-Op
 
Hi Izzie! I hope the lunesta works for you. I got Ambien which worked pretty good for me. I came home Wednesday morning. I was glad to come home but I do have my wife here so that makes it easier. Today my right knee was achy, probably due to all the pressure being put on it, so I'm taking it slow today.

Sleep well!
 
Izzie you are doing so well. I keep popping in to check on you!
I'm 8 days post op today. I'm trying to reduce the pain meds considerably now as I still have a slightly mushy brain and i don't like it. The biggest relief for me is ice on my knee. Bliss every time.
I still sort of wish I'd been able to have a bilateral and it would have been over and done with. Family weddings later in the year over the pond are going to make timings difficult for my next op.
Then again I'm in awe of you bilateral people as I think it must be that so much harder.
I'm sending you a virtual huge bunch of sunflowers to say congratulations on brilliant progress.
 
Wow Izzie you are doing so well and you have a fantastic attitude about your surgery and rehab - I love reading your reports

Your daily schedule actually sounds exhausting so you may need to go home for a good rest :rotfl:

When I was on the emergency ward I used to enjoy the OT days where the people preparing for discharge youed to bake bread/buns/cakes and we got to eat them with the afternoon coffee/tea

Hope that you get the go-ahead to come home soon
 
Hi Kavan, nice to see you. Are you having knee surgery too? And when?

BTKR on May 28th. Izzie and other's posts are giving me a lot of insight and a certain reduction in nervousness.
 
Hey izzie,

Just checking in to see how you're doing?! It sounds like you are progressing well. How long are you staying in Rehab? I hope you've been able to get a good night's rest. I slept at home for the first time last night and it was heavenly! I woke up for pain meds & promptly went back to sleep! Woke this morning with **energy** :D

Hugs!

Min
 
Izzie, keep up the good work, before you know it, you will have caught up with me...at 4 weeks, 4 days, I walked 1/3 a mile this morning, with family, and worked in the yard for an hour with Granddaughter after icing......Just keep that positive attitude, and you will do great......Gyll
 
Kavan, Thank you for telling us your surgery date. If there is anything that I or anyone here can help you with, you need only ask. How exciting! By the time you have your surgery, I will be home and able to check in on you. Take care!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Judy B ... I tried to reply to your post last night, but must have been in my drug haze :doh: I hope my posts will help someone out there. Surgery is scary, especially facing it alone. Since finding this forum, I don't feel so alone. I know there is someone checking in on me and thinking of me which means so much! Pain management, bowel movements and sleep are extremely important as you say. These will all help us heal faster and that's what we want! I can't wait until I report that I'm not feeling ucky anymore and have more energy. I did receive a Lunesta last night and finally got some decent sleep. :zzz: I'm asking for another tonight. Thanks for checking in on me!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi jimbojunk! Wow, you've been home since Wednesday! That is great!!! I finally got some decent sleep last night :happydance: It was not solid sleep, there were several interruptions, but I managed to get back to sleep. I will ask for more tonight. Achy knee ... did you have anything like this with the previous one? Are you getting around okay, except for the achyness today? What about swelling? I hope you are doing well! So glad you have your wife to help you, I know she is a great comfort.
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Hopper! Thank you for checking in on me. Can you believe it's been 8 days now. Amazing ... and I'm sure you are doing great! I'm like you, I don't like that mushy brain. It takes a lot of energy for me to keep focused. And yes, I love the ice too! What a pain reliever. As for the bilateral, I would highly recommend it, but only if it fits your situation. With your busy year, I think you are doing the right thing. You should be in good shape for your special events. I love your sunflowers, thank you!!!
:flwrysmile:
 
Puffin, Thank you for your kind words! The schedule in this inpatient rehab is busy, usually finishing by 3-4PM. Tomorrow is a very light day, only one PT with a small group. It will be very quiet. I'll send you a virtual brownie when I get to bake for OT!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hey Minster! Thanks for checking in on me. On Monday, the docs, nurses, PT's, and OT's all get together to discuss the patients. After providing all the information to the insurance companies, we will be told how long we can stay. I know I will feel the same way you have about sleeping in your own bed! Can't wait - especially can't wait to wake with ENERGY !!! I know this was the first part of your two part surgery. I hope everything went really well and you are doing great! Hugs to you!
:friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom