Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR BTKR ~~ May 13, 2013 ~~ Post-Op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi schipp4me, thank you for the advice! I will definitely try it. In addition to prunes and prune juice, I've been having lots of fruits and vegetables. Also supplementing with Miralax has helped. How are you doing? Congratulations on passing that one month mark!! Both knees behaving? Hope all is well and you are enjoying them!
 
Diana, I love your vision! Almost feel the breeze! Thank you for that!!! How is everything with you? Gardens planted - how many total? Laundry room finished painting? You had some big projects. When you come home from the hospital, you will love seeing how beautiful everything looks and be so proud! Hugs coming your way .... :friends:
 
Day 7 -- Post-Op
Sunday ..... Time flies. Today is the "lazy" day, according to the nurses. I think it's a bit easier for the nurses today because there is not such a rush to get everyone ready for therapies. This morning, I was allowed to stay a little longer in bed which felt good. After a little bath, and breakfast, I had one group therapy which was a bit difficult for me. Measurements today were: flexion- R90, L95, extension-R2, L0. The thing about measurements is ... I don't think they are always accurate. Different therapists each day have different ways of getting you into position to measure. As long as I'm close, I think it's fine.

Pain meds: One dose of Hydrocodone early, Tramadol the remainder of the day. Todays recipe didn't work very well. Too much pain in therapy and had pain all over due to lifting myself from recliner to walker, bed to walker and just walking with the walker. We use our shoulders, back, stomach, gluts, etc. - and without the pain meds, I really feel it all over. My reaction to Hydrocodone is mush brain and nausea, but if it works for me to stick with it, that's what I'll do. The less pain I have the better I will do in PT.

Energy: After bathing, I was more tired than usual. Had to rest a bit before getting myself ready for therapy. Eating well, drinking plenty of fluids, and resting - trying to keep my energy level up.

BM's: After taking stool softeners every day (which wasn't working), finally got some Miralax for a couple of days and voila! Eating loads of fruits and veggies every day along with prunes and prune juice as well. Will continue my Miralax every day as well as all the just mentioned fiber in my diet.

Emotions: Yesterday I had a little crying time, just emotional, not sure why. Today, I had tears in my eyes after therapy, painful but glad I'm making progress. Otherwise, I'm in very good spirits.

Tomorrow, Monday, I will find out how long they will keep me. The more rehab I can get the better. Would love to go home, but want to be in as good a shape as possible.

Wish that I could get up and move around a lot more, but I'm not allowed to get up without a nurse present. I still cannot move my legs out of the bed, need help with that. Also, cannot get myself out of the recliner without someone holding my feet up, then gently lowering them to the floor while I scoot forward.

Nurses, PT's, OT's and Doc's are all very nice. There have only been a couple of times that I've been left a little too long before someone responded. It's nice to know that there is a team working on each patient to get them the best and longest care possible.

This time next week, I will probably be home! :dancy: Not exactly looking like our little dancy friend, but hopefully moving around pretty well. Thank you to everyone for checking in on me. I'm very grateful for all your support!!!
:friends: :puppysmooze:
 
Energy: After bathing, I was more tired than usual. Had to rest a bit before getting myself ready for therapy. Eating well, drinking plenty of fluids, and resting - trying to keep my energy level up.
There were times, for unexplained reasons (known only to the knees) that I had more energy on some days and then a total loss of energy on others. What you are experiencing is all too normal!

Yesterday I had a little crying time, just emotional, not sure why.
Again, this is all common---many of us have felt "down in the dumps", depressed, weepy, ---and there are many reasons---the isolation at times, the pain meds, the lack of independence, the frustration of the slowness of progress, and many more. I would stand by my front window and just watch the world go by


This time next week, I will probably be home! :dancy:
Now, that is something worth cheering about! Hang in there---after my BTKR, I was in rehab for about 11 days. You are doing fine, and what you are going through is "par for the course."

Keep these posts coming!
 
Thank you, Tim C., good to know what I'm experiencing is normal. I hope these posts will help someone who is preparing for surgery and even after. I was an in-patient only 3 days (including the surgery day), I've now been in rehab 4 days. Just not sure how many days my insurance company will allow. I've expressed my desires to any nurse and doc who will listen, so hopefully they will keep me at least 5 more days. Your advice has always been spot on. I'm following all the guidance you and others have given me.
:thankyou:
 
Hello there Izzie:flwrysmile: , you sound like you are doing really well, I came home after 10 days and so glad I stayed the extra days, once home I am still coping really well, each day I know I do something different, my husband made the couch a little higher, but today I can get myself out of the other lounge so will get him to remove the pieces of wood, still haven't been in the car, but will try that in the next few days. Still waking at around 4:00am with leg pain so take another Panadol and try and sleep until 6:00am when I get up and ice then spend my day resting, watching TV, going for little walks with my sticks, doing some exercising. I don't worry about my ROM that will come later, my OS is not in favour of any PT, I only have swelling in my knees and no bruising and my scars are healing beautifully. I to have my little cries, but that is all par for the course.
Stay positive, and I'm sure you will do well once home.
Hugs Lee:friends:
 
I hope these posts will help someone who is preparing for surgery and even after.
They certainly will---others following you will get a chance to read this thread and understand either what they may go through, or what they are going through---and understand that it is all part o the natural process!
 
Izzie, your posts are wonderful, I love reading them. It's amazing, the more I learn on here, the more confident I am that I can do this. So far, I'm not stressed about the surgery, but then I have two more weeks to go, that may hit me like bricks next week, but I pray not. Everyone that so willingly share their recoveries are so special to those of us who are still awaiting surgery. It's the fear of the unknown that stresses so many of us, and you guys "on the other side" are the light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. I'm so glad you are doing well, hope you have a restful night and good day tomorrow. Hugs skipping down the sidewalk to you!!!
 
Hi Izzie...can't believe it is day 7 already! Sounds like your days are up and down..and from what I've read,that must be normal..so glad some things are working out for you..pun intended! Well..my surgery is scheduled for one month from today..I get a pit in my stomach thinking about it..I'm so grateful for this site..and all the wonderful people on it..I love reading your posts each day..real progress! I so hope when the powers that be meet tomorrow,they'll decide to keep you until you feel your ready..my neighbor had both knees done 14 yrs ago..she said they kept her for 28 days! She said she loved it! Hope you get some good sleep tonite...Will check on you tomorrow...
 
Hi Izzie, I go for my post op appt on June 6th. Hope to drive there! You are doing so well with everything!

Tim C hit the nail on the head about the reasons we get down in the dumps. It hits me mostly late evening, probably not looking forward to a sleepless night, and sometimes in the morning. Maybe meds? I'm thinking about going to a half of ambien tonight and see hoe that goes. Let me tell you, being a guy and getting all weepy doesn't sit well with me! :umm:
 
Let me tell you, being a guy and getting all weepy doesn't sit well with me!
Jimbojunk, to anyone who has been through two major surgeries in less than a month, you're entitled to your weepy feelings. Are you doing OK in your recovery? I haven't seen your thread, I'll have to look for it. Take care!!
 
Hello Izzie,
I am scheduled to have BTKR done on May 23rd right aroung the corner. Your postings have given me some insight on post-op expectations --thank you. I will be up in a few days and start a journal also.

wishing you a awesome recovery ,thanks again :yay:
 
Hi Izzie -
just checking in. It sounds as though things are going along as they should. Even the "bumps" with pain meds, etc. are part of the post-op routine (I had to be transfused two days after my surgery after nearly passing out during a shower). The good part is that your dr. and nurses are attentive and helpful. You are mending already!
j
 
My thanks to you, Izzie and all the May Post- ops , for these posts. They're full of great info for pre-ops like me, the more information we have the better prepared we'll be. I've read 'em all. Except for the purple passages about painting toenails and (dare I type it) gauze unmentionables; I always closed my eyes when reading those bits. The trouble is that I'm now more afraid of letting down the post-op side than facing the surgery, so I'm off to the theatre in the morning. Early. Starving. Off To The Theatre, white tie, surgical gown and tails. That has a ring to it... now I should go set up a post-op thread while I still have a head on me. Wish me luck!
 
Oh Izzie, Sorry the blues hit you yesterday but, I guess it's just part of the recovery. It isn't just the surgery we have to deal with,there is also the fact we have been restricted and in pain so long before the OP. All of this takes it's toll. I get down now and sometimes feel sorry for myself and I'm not even done yet.:)
Your recovery seems to be going smoothly and they are taking very good care of you!
PS. I don't suppose the crying is the old baby blues, you do have two newborn knees! :whistle:
 
Izzie, just wanted to give you an encourageing update on my progress...Went to Doc today, 5 weeks out tomorrow, both knees 125, and am changing to out patient OT, and can Drive my Car now, Doc was very pleased with my progress....I guess those exercises, icing, and following prodacal works.....I know you will catch up with me in no time............I have to admit I was palm sweating in the waiting room, not knowing for sure what my rom was going to be..........
 
Hello Lee, Thank you for checking in on me. When you say you came home after 10 days, does that include your day of surgery? - or - were you in inpatient rehab for 10 days? I just found out today that I'll be leaving inpatient rehab on Friday. It's good to know that once you were home, you did well. Making the couch a little higher is a great idea.

You say you haven't been in the car - did you go home from the hospital in the car? Have any tricks to use to get in our out? My two boys will be picking me up in my small SUV. I thought I would sit in the back seat with my legs laying long way across the seat. Someone told me to use a large plastic trash bag to sit on as you can swivel and turn easier.

Sorry you are still having leg pain at night. :sorry: Sleep is so important, especially when we are trying to heal. I hope that stops soon! I'm not familiar with Panadol - I know different names are used in each country. If it is a pain medication, it might be similar to what I'm taking, Hydrocodone.

Your daily activity sounds exactly as it should be. All the important things. Great to know that you are healing so well with no bruising - swelling takes a while to go down. Keep up the good work, just think you will be celebrating your 3 week anniversary in a couple of days! Amazing!!!
:friends:
 
Hello Izzie,
You sound a bit apprehensive about going home Friday :friends:please don't be. They wouldn't
let you leave unless you could take care of yourself :ok: plus you will have at- home therapy. Did the
doctors say you were doing well? How are you feeling today? Can you believe how well Schipp is doing,
driving at 5 weeks, & great ROM. That's what you have to look forward to :)
If you are tired & not feeling well please rest :sleep:tomorrow is another day. :SUNsmile:
Hugs coming your way,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Izzie, hope you are doing well today:happydance: my 10 days includes my op day, and I just remained in a hospital ward and the PT's came to me. I was really pleased when they said I could go home, I did have to pass a few tests ie able to shower, dress, toilet and walk using my crutches all unaided.
I have a good friend who runs a Patient Transport business, so he took me home on a stretcher, I must admit I was really panicking about having to come home in the car as my car is pretty low to the ground and my husband has a 4WD which I would have had no chance getting up into the seat. In the next couple of days I am going to see if I can get into my car.
Yes my leg aches aren't good, could be coming from using the tourniquet, do you get alot of pain/ache in your muscles? I'm taking a slow release pain meds called Targin and Panadol Osteo every 4 hrs (Paracetamol) by the end of the 12 hours I really hanging out for the relief, I am also taking a muscle relaxant at bedtime which helps greatly.

I have been taking a walk outside everyday just to get a bit of movement in my legs and some fresh air, the weather here in Tasmania is cold as we are heading towards winter so you have to rug up.
Take care Izzie, lap up the remaining days you have in rehab.:)
Love & hugs
Lee:friends:
 
:)Hi Deb! I'm happy to know my posts are helping in any way that they can. You can definitely do this! And, you'll be amazed at how well you do! Stay busy and focused on getting things done prior to your surgery, don't get hung up on the surgery and recovery. We'll all be holding your hand the entire way. Sounds like you have family and friends who are a good support. And ... by the way, Congratulations on your new Grandson!!! (I think that's what I heard) Having this surgery is going to add many wonderful years to our lives. I was afraid, stressed, crying, etc. but now, I am doing very well and going home on Friday. You have nothing to fear! You can do this and you'll be so happy you did!
:happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom