Bilateral TKR BTKR ~~ May 13, 2013 ~~ Post-Op

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you are right @scaredinCA ~ fingers crossed, it's just soft tissue. I hope you are doing well - good to hear from you!!!
 
Dearest Izzie. It makes me so happy to read your posts. Now I can look forward to my 6 month, then 1 year anniversary. I've just had my BTKR 41 days ago. My extension is 0 and ROM is 128 in both knees. I am trying to get more flexion by trying to sit back on my heels too but I am totally NOT there yet. It still hurts a lot when I go downstairs. Going upstairs is not that difficult. Going downstairs is more challenging.

Please keep posting. It is so helpful to me and I am sure to many others to read about your recovery.

Have an amazing day in Kansas!
 
at one year my doctor said no running or jumping but nothing about digging holes. I will add it to my small list of do not dos. Thanks for the update.
 
Hi @Wellness in Virginia !!! Congratulations on being 41 days out from your surgery and you are doing amazingly well!!! Your ROM is fantastic! Sitting back on the heels is painful, but if you were able to do it before your surgery, you probably will be able to do it with ease as long as you keep working at it. My knees were in such terribly bad shape that I was unable to do any kneeling or sitting on my heels. I can kneel now with no problem, but when I try to sit on my heels, I'm still about 6 inches away from touching. My advice to anyone would be to consistently work toward that goal and don't slack off. That was my downfall ... after a while, I became so pleased with my recovery that I backed off on my exercises. Don't do that. You are young, so more flexible and you will get there. The stairs ... yes, it is much easier to get up than down. I was going so slow stepping down, but now, I don't even think about it. It's amazing! Up the stairs, down the stairs, no hands!!! You are seeing yourself get better and better with each day. Just keep up your exercises, push - but not so hard it hurts badly, and rest and ice.

I'm so happy for you! :happydance: Keep me posted on your progress :yes:
 
Hi @patbike ! I think the doc's should add "digging holes" to their "do not do" list :heehee:
Of course, putting pressure on the joint pushing down with the shovel was not a smart thing for me to do :no-fin:
I won't be doing it anymore. Hope you are doing well!!!
 
Wellness in VA, I am 28 months post op and still cannot kneel, it is very odd and uncomfortable. I do try from time to time even though my ortho told me emphatically 3 or 4 times DO NOT KNEEL. Having said that, I was a very slow healer and was good year before I could ride my bike again. Some of us are slowpokes, some are not, do what you can do without pain and don't worry too much. As you've probably read elsewhere, eventually, we all end up in the same place with working knees. Good luck, ladies!
 
Congrats on your 1 year Izzie! I understand your enthusiasm about digging a hole because you can! I hope there are no repercussions from this energetic work!
 
Thanks @Limpynomore ! My knee is feeling much better today. I'm always pushing my limits ~ must pay more attention to taking care of these new baby knees :)
 
Wellness in VA, I am 28 months post op and still cannot kneel, it is very odd and uncomfortable. I do try from time to time even though my ortho told me emphatically 3 or 4 times DO NOT KNEEL. Having said that, I was a very slow healer and was good year before I could ride my bike again. Some of us are slowpokes, some are not, do what you can do without pain and don't worry too much. As you've probably read elsewhere, eventually, we all end up in the same place with working knees. Good luck, ladies!

@Ditzzeechick Thank you for your answer to my question about kneeling. I did not see your post at all in my Alerts. I am sorry. That's why it took so long for me to thank you. Have a great day!
 
Hi @Wellness in Virginia !!! Congratulations on being 41 days out from your surgery and you are doing amazingly well!!! Your ROM is fantastic! Sitting back on the heels is painful, but if you were able to do it before your surgery, you probably will be able to do it with ease as long as you keep working at it. My knees were in such terribly bad shape that I was unable to do any kneeling or sitting on my heels. I can kneel now with no problem, but when I try to sit on my heels, I'm still about 6 inches away from touching. My advice to anyone would be to consistently work toward that goal and don't slack off. That was my downfall ... after a while, I became so pleased with my recovery that I backed off on my exercises. Don't do that. You are young, so more flexible and you will get there. The stairs ... yes, it is much easier to get up than down. I was going so slow stepping down, but now, I don't even think about it. It's amazing! Up the stairs, down the stairs, no hands!!! You are seeing yourself get better and better with each day. Just keep up your exercises, push - but not so hard it hurts badly, and rest and ice.

I'm so happy for you! :happydance: Keep me posted on your progress :yes:

My extension still stays at zero which I am happy about but my flexion has not improved. It stays around 126 to 130 for both knees. I am not going to worry about it. I will keep on with my exercises and follow your advice. I won't do anything that hurts badly. And will keep icing and elevating. Thank you so much.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom