Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR BTKR ~~ May 13, 2013 ~~ Post-Op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you are doing OK :console2:
Trying to make you stand like that sounds really bad - hope you are OK now
Good luck with rehab
 
Hello Izzie,
You sound Amazing :egypdance:Doing all your therapy, great care, & all the bone smarties
wishing you well, it doesn't get any better :)
I finally got to plant my garden today ( my knees are killing me :gaah: ). My surgery is June 3rd.
You are in my thoughts & prayers :angel:Remember......Life is Good :friends:
Off to work, talk tomorrow,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Izzie its so great to hear how well you are doing. It sounds like you are making real progress. Don't feel you have to reply, just rest up and continue to get well. I'm wishing all a continued smooth recovery.
 
Hi bichonmom, I am doing well. Bilateral is a bit challenging, but so is partial of one or TKR of one too. I see how the PT is going for those who have had those procedures and we all have to do exactly the same exercises, etc. I am so glad the surgery is over and the healing has begun. Forgive me for asking, maybe again, but when is your surgery? I will post a little later and give an update of the day.
 
Tim C. You are always upbeat! I'm pushing myself a little bit, not in awful pain, just want to continue to make progress. I heard from one of the nurses that a bilateral patient recently went home in 2 days! Wow! I was very impressed. I'll post my update on Day 3 later.
 
I was checking to see how you were feeling today. I'm happy to see your doing great! I went to my joint class today and the nurse told me I may be in for 5 days as I am a bilateral. I hope not but then again it may not be a bad idea. Take care:kittykiss:
 
You are doing so well Izzie! Relax and let the healing begin. Two at once is brave. Big hugs.
 
Hi Shelly,
So glad to hear you are getting the BP back to normal. I really like Tramadol. My Rheumatologist put me on naproxen and tramadol for my arthritis pain and to help my knees. I think I might still take them once this is over, we’ll see. I’m having some of those twinges as well, but I know this is to be expected for a while. I feel pretty good all in all. I hope I will have better results every day and go home soon. A good nights sleep sounds really great to me! Thank you for all your hugs and love and I’m sending some to you too! Can’t wait until you are running around doing things! :friends:
 
Hi My Way, Yay! You went to the joint class and hope you feel a little more prepared. Since you are doing bilateral, I think 5 days in hospital is great. Are you going to in-patient rehab afterwards? Did you get your surgery date yet. I haven't been over to your thread yet to get caught up. Hope you are doing well!!
 
Day 3 - Post-Op
Very little sleep for me, but I really don't mind a bit. I'm being well taken care of, the nursing staff is wonderful. In hospital, it's usually impossible to get a full night's sleep. Early this morning, 3:30, was up going potty (TMI ?), getting fresh TED stockings on, fresh ice packs, and a warm blankie. At 5:00, giving myself a little sponge bath, putting on clean clothes, getting meds, ordering breakfast, and preparing for PT at 9 AM. All went well in both PT sessions today (9 AM & 1 PM). I'll try to remember the numbers ... right leg flexion 82, left leg flexion, 90 - right leg straightening (I forgot what that's called) 8, left leg 2. I think those are right. I walked a little bit longer today, around my room, in the hallway, to and from PT and again around the hallway. Everyone has been very nice here. No complaints at all.

When I arrived back in my room, the nurse said "guess what, you are going to in-patient rehab, today". I was a little shocked. Earlier, I'd been told that I would be going maybe Thursday or Friday. But, they thought I was doing very well and had a room available, so, I am now in my nice room in the same hospital in their in-patient rehab unit. Again, everyone is so nice. I've been walking around my room (with my walker of course) getting things situated and enjoying the view.

This hospital has room service so I've been ordering from a menu during my stay. Excellent food. Everything from omlettes, quesedillas, chipotle/lime crusted tilapia to cheesecake. It's been a real treat for me since I'm the one who does most of the cooking for myself and my two boys. Speaking of which, the boys have been taking care of everything at home, they call several times a day and have been to visit each day. I'm so grateful to have these two young men in my life. What a blessing.

My pain has been manageable. There have been a few times that I've had a some sharp stinging here and there. To be expected. I'm taking 650mg hydrocodone every 4 hours. Now that I'm in rehab, they will no longer give me the anti-inflammatory Toridol. There are a few other things they have in place if I need them. And in re-hab, I'm under the care of a physician here - not my OS. I'm sure there is communication between them, but, as far as I know, my OS will not be checking on me everyday while I'm here. Hopefully, I will get a little sleep tonight, I can feel myself fading a bit. I'll walk a little before bed tonight. Tomorrow is a big day, PT, OT, PT, OT starting at 9 AM.

I'm following the bonesmart mantra and all the advice I've received here. I'm so happy to have found this community. I love knowing that so many people here are reaching out to one another and supporting each other!

I hope everyone is doing really well. When I feel up to it, I'm going to look around the forums and get caught up on what's been going on with all of you.

Thank you for all the Love, Hugs, Healing Thoughts and Prayers ~~~ I'm sending some right back to all of you!
:friends: :friends: :friends:
 
Izzie--Isn't that nausea just terrible. I had the same situation in the hospital--couldn't eat anything because of the nausea so when they would get me up I would be so light headed that they would have to put me back to bed. I will be one month post op tomorrow and still have bouts of nausea. Sounds like you are progressing nicely and are getting excellent care. Glad those sons are being so attentive! I have one son and one grandson and they have been so good to me through all of this.
Hope you get a good nights sleep--stay ahead of the pain!!
 
This hospital has room service so I've been ordering from a menu during my stay. Excellent food. Everything from omlettes, quesedillas, chipotle/lime crusted tilapia to cheesecake. It's been a real treat for me since I'm the one who does most of the cooking for myself and my two boys.​
That is great news! The hospital food where I was was so lousy (and keep in mind I ate dorm food while in college) that I swear I saw the world "Rawlings" on one of the pieces of ham steak that I had...
The nurses where I was kept carry-out menus from all of the nearby restaurants...
 
The nausea was worse than anything for me. I'm so glad it's now in check. I was like you Cathy - and didn't realise the staff didn't realise! My sons were here with me until the day after my op - that was lovely. Its great getting home today. each day is a better day. Sleep well Izzie.
 
Hi Izzie:flwrysmile:
I have been following your recovery, and it sounds like you are doing really well, I'm glad I had 10 days in hospital, it just gave my recovery that help you need in the first few days.:mcoffee: Now home still going well, but still having trouble with sleeping, I'm on Targin slow release and taking a muscle relaxant at bed time which helps get me thru to around 4:00am, when I find my knees start to hurt and also the muscles.
Take care, and let your knees do the talking.
Hugs to you
Lee:friends:
 
Congratulations on moving into rehab. What a gift! I hope the care continues to be good. Remember: No getting up , at all, without someone right there. Never. Not. At. All. Just a little too early, what with the Oxy, which can make you woozy. (That's a technical term.) Also, no running marathons until at least Saturday, OK? Hah!
 
Hi Izzy!! So glad to hear you are doing so well! I am so glad you are, and have been moved to rehab. The menu sounds wonderful too. My appetite still is just not there and it is becoming difficult to eat what I know I should be eating. I think we have figured out my woozy (yes, that should be a medical term if it is not already!) spells). The percocet is making me right on the edge of being nauseated, and when I stand up that starts the vaso-vagal pre-fainting sweating, and then my blood pressure drops. :sick: I tried the every other dose of Tramadol/Percocet but that just wasn't keeping the pain under control so I am back to Percocet but at 4-5 hr intervals and only occasional tramadol. Much less wooziness today and PT cleared me for walking outside. YAH!!
I will be thinking of you...you are doing amazing!!

Love and hugs winging their way to you :friends:
 
Dear Izzie!! I have been thinking about you, and forgive my late congratulations, but I'm so very happy to see how well you are doing, and the wonderful hospital and rehab experience you are having!

Lovely that your boys are taking loving care of things at home, and you, it shows the good upbringing they've had and you can surely be proud! :flwrysmile:

I am amazed at how well you are doing your PT and OT and sounds like you might be going home soon. Good job on getting nausea under control as well, I had to deal with that too, but they did give me good medications to control it.

Can't wait to hear all your updates, and wishing you continued speedy recovery.

Take good care, and big hugs coming your way .... :friends:
 
Hi Izzie, I'm back home now since Monday night. I am amazed at how clear headed you are, I am just now able to hold a somewhat normal conversation. In the hospital I was falling asleep while on the phone, my neice called my name and told me to hang up, I said ok, I love you and hung up. She thought that was very funny. I am glad to read that you are rehabbing so well, I'm sure you will be home soon. So much of my daily hospital life is a blur now but it all went well. I did enjoy being waited on, I was so tired when I checked in, I wasn't even nervous and have no memory of anything after getting the femoral and spinal shots until that night in my room. No nausea or sickness and that was wonderful. I was ready to come home after 8 days but totally unprepared at how incapacitated I was for the next 2 days. Just doing what I have to for my husband and me and depending on friends for other needs. I have an aide coming today to help me take a shower...OT coming after that - door is constantly opening and shutting now. It's so nice to have such a wonderful support group. Take care...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom