Bilateral TKR BTKR ~~ May 13, 2013 ~~ Post-Op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 2 Post-Op
Last night I had the spinal with decreasing continuous medication to keep my legs out of pain. The nurse was also giving me Percocet every 4 hours, but Percocet and I weren't getting along. I was so sick and weak. At 4:30 the nurse came in with more medication and began removing the spinal and my drains. Both of my legs were so numb, but she insisted that I try to stand. Didn't go well, I almost fell. I told her I just couldn't do it. My doctor came in, we talked about several things including the medication. The day nurse arrived and changed my meds to Hydrocodone and Torodol for inflammation. PT came to my room to get me up and into the recliner and did a few exercises. I was hooding my little barf bag the entire time. PT again at 1:00, this time in a group. Still lightheaded, but managed all the exercises and walked back to my room. Of course there was some pain, but nothing off the charts. This evening I felt much better. The Hydrocodone is much more tolerable. Tomorrow, 2 group PT's . I've had some pain, but all I have to do is ask for something and the Nurse makes sure I have something. Every 4 hours, pain meds - every 6 hours Torodol.

I'm so glad to have both knees done. Not easy for sure, but my knees were equally bad and it would have been very difficult to support myself on one bad knee while trying to rehab a new one.

I will post more tomorrow. I want to answer everyone individually but don't have the energy right now. I'm in better spirits - no more crying - looking forward to the next steps. Thank you to everyone - your support really lifts me up! Big Hugs and Kisses!
:thankyou: :friends: :puppysmooze:
 
Bless your heart! I'm so glad you're getting along dearheart. Will be thinking of you and sending healing thoughts.
 
...but she insisted that I try to stand. Didn't go well, I almost fell.
That's not good, IMO. When I stood (was this the first time?) I had a physio either side of me and it was none too steady, either.
and walked back to my room
Oh wow so soon -- well done!
I'm so glad to have both knees done. Not easy for sure, but my knees were equally bad and it would have been very difficult to support myself on one bad knee while trying to rehab a new one.
Exactly the way I looked at it! Apart from in my case knowing that I'd never have the resolution to face it all twice.
 
Good Morning Izzie,
So Sorry you weren't feeling well :console2:I hope the med change is more gentle for you !
I see you are taking charge of your care ( changing your meds & telling them you can't stand ) :ok:
You did all your PT & walked to your room :egypdance:I'm so happy for you :) Your 1 post a day is quite enough
you don't have to answer everyone personally. You need your concentration on your recovery.
All my best to you, May you have a restful pain free day ! :SUNsmile:
Sincerely,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
How are you doing Izzie? Hope you are feeling better each day too. How are your new knees feeling? My leg is so much straighter - they showed me the X-rays yesterday. It's amazing. I still sort of wish I'd been bilateral and it will be interesting to see what you think as the days go by.
Best wishes to you and your new knees today!
 
Hi Hopper, Your leg is straight now, how great is that! I'm glad I had bilateral, don't know how I'd have managed otherwise. Are you going home soon? Hope you are doing well!
 
Hi Diana, My eyes are a little blurry, so forgive the typos or strange words. Your support has been wonderful - I appreciate your prayers and good thoughts. I am doing better today - going to PT in a few minutes. Doing my best. What day in June is your surgery? PT is here. Talk soon.
 
Good morning, Izzie! I hope your day goes well. Sending you some pain-free vibes! How long are you in the hospital for? Take it easy after PT!
 
Hi Roy, Yes, that first time trying to stand up was not a good decision on anyone's part. The PT's later used immobilizers to get me up. When the feeling began returning to the legs, they were no longer used. Just got back from PT - legs elevated with ice. Occupational therapy will be here soon, and I will be going to in-patient rehab here starting tomorrow. Thank you for the great advice and support!
 
Izzie, congratulations! You were very brave to have both knees done at once...good luck in your recovery!!!
Denise
 
Congrats Izzie! Things sound like they are going quite well......so happy for you! I will be watching your thread intently as my date is just 2 weeks away.
 
Hi Jibojunk, I'm much better today-finished PT, then OT evaluated me-now legs elevated with ice. How are you doing? New left knee on Monday-now you have a matching pair of brand new knees! Is this surgery different from your last one? Hope you are being well taken car of!
 
Hi Limpynomore, Thank you for checking in on me. I'm better today!! Which knee for you in two weeks? I will try to do a decent job of recording my experience. So glad to be on the other side!
 
Hi Titan lady, Thank you for thinking of be and sending your healing thoughts!
 
Welcome to the "other side"!! Pardon the pun, but you have taken big steps in reclaiming your life and taking back the activity and the lifestyle that arthritis stole from you!
You sound like you are doing well---please keep us updated when you are able to and let us know how things are going for you!
Thank you Tim, I'm so happy to be on the other side now - it sometimes doesn't seem real. I'm doing my best and hope soon I'll be getting around like I did so many years ago. Thank you for all your support!
 
Hi Janet - aka Wonder Woman! Love the photo! Have a great time in Colorado - can't wait to be doing the kinds of things that I've missed for so long.
 
Izzie, happy to hear from you, but don't feel you have to give everyone an individual response while you are drugged and all your energy is going towards healing. You'll absolutely wear your brain out! At least that's how I felt for a while!
 
Hi izzie..just checking your post today to see if you are feeling better..so glad to hear you are..you are so brave..you are my hero! Will look for a post tomorrow to see how you are progressing...that is,if you're up to it..
:flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom