Revision TKR Bruising 3 years out

Sorry posting late it's been a brutal day and I'm so drugged up its a wonder I'm still awake. The revising surgery went good @Celle While he was in there he found that the too small spacer wasn't the only problem, due to the spacer being too small and causing instability, my kneecap was also dislocated, and had already began healing out of place so he had to cut away some ligaments and reshape the kneecap so it would heal where it should.
I am in so much pain it's unbelievable . But they have me on 4 different very strong pain meds plus muscle relaxers and it was barely touching the pain.

So here goes: Revision recovery, day 1. Extreme pain, but very friendly and caring nurses here. I am being treated very well.... makes it a little easier

Will post updates as I progress thru this recovery.
 
Keep asking for pain meds. I found that after a couple of weeks past my revision I began to feel much better. All the pain you had before will finally be gone.
 
I hope you find some relief from the pain soon...I'm glad you are on the healing side now :flwrysmile:
 
Oh my gosh God bless. I hope they take extra good care of you in the hospital - it's been a long road. Thankfully you are finally on the road to full recovery.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm glad it's done, @Xanaphia
Sorry you're in so much pain. :console2: Yes, keep asking for pain medication.
The problems are fixed now, so at least you'll be able to recover properly.
I know you had them before, but I'm going to give you the recovery reading list again, just to remind you.
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you. exercise only gently
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Activity progression for TKRs
Heel slides and how to do them

Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

When you are able to, please will you revise your Signature, to add the revision and its date?
Hover over your username, top right of the page, and select Signature from the drop-down box. Enter your surgery details and then save. This article also explains how to do it:
How to create a signature
If you can’t do it, please let us know, so that we can do it for you. Thank you. :flwrysmile:
 
I don't think nerve blocks work the same on me as other people because I've been having to ask for pain meds every few hours.
My entire leg is contracting like last time which tells me the femoral block is wearing off. It hurts so bad. Earlier around midnight I got woke up by the pain and was crying so she gave me a shot of dilaudid which took the edge off. This time she gave me 2 norco 10 and robaxin.
I had no idea how much this would hurt again.
They're talking about possibly sending me too a rehab when I'm discharged because I'm home alone all day with no one there to help me if I needed it. I have mixed feelings about that but I know there probably right.
They are starting PT in the morning, the nurse said they just basically want to get me up and walking around. I don't know if I can even do that because I can't even move it in the bed without extreme pain
 
@Celle Not sure if my signature changed or not, I keep getting a database error when I try changing it
 
I'm sorry you are going through this ordeal and in so much pain. You did have to have a lot of repair done to your knee, it's no wonder it hurts. I hope the staff can get you a bit more comfortable soon. Rest as much as you can.
Tabby xxx
 
You finally have a new and improved knee! I pray that the pain lessens each minute! Before long you'll be so much better and be glad that you had it done.
 
A rehab facility may be helpful if you don't have anyone there to help you the first going off. Whatever your decision is on that I pray the pain lessens as the healing begins.
 
Yes, @Xanaphia , your signature has changed. Thank you for doing that.
BoneSmart does have a small technical hitch at the moment, which shows up as a database error, but the changes are being made. Unfortunately, our computer guru has resigned and this small problem can't be fixed until a new techie has started work - but the process is under way.
 
Hi Xana. I'm saying prayers that your pain will be controlled soon. I would make sure you get enough meds to keep it at a 3 or less. Adequate pain control is a patient right. If the meds they are giving you are not controlling your pain, they need to try something else. We can't heal if we are in uncontrolled pain.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
Sorry to read the femoral block wasn't very effective. Mine failed too, so I hear you on the pain levels. I hope they've got a system going now that's keeping things manageable.
 
Lol the nurses said they felt I was getting too much pain meds (which I could have been between dilaudid in the iv, 2 norco 10's, celebrex, lyrica, robaxin, and extended release oxycodone)
They were some pretty heavy meds, but I was also awake all night with a leg that was spasming and cramping and knives stabbing me in the knee. I asked for pain meds every few hours and they gave them to me, on top of heavy duty muscle relaxers and dilaudid.
It's interesting because at 5 o'clock this morning they had me sit up on the side of the bed and then stand up and it was so excruciating that I could not stand up for more than a minute but then physical therapy came in this afternoon and I was able to stand up and I actually walked down the hall and back to my room so I am guessing that it is probably going to heal quite quickly. I get to go home tomorrow
 
That's great news about being able to walk! You are on the road to recovery!
 
Glad to hear the afternoon was better, sounds like you are on your way to recovery.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom