Revision TKR Bruising 3 years out

Then don't do PT yet- don't schedule it. All you really need right now is gentle bending (heel slides), which you can do on your own in bed or in a chair. And of course keep doing ankle pumps. I did not do home PT after my second TKR. I had a relaxing recovery and an excellent outcome.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hoping you can get some relief form the pain! Im so happy you're on the healing side & praying all goes well without any complications~~so glad you have a great doc this time!
 
I had an "incident" today. I tripped, and while I didn't fall, I hyper extended my surgery leg, and caught myself on the closet door. I felt intense pain for a few minutes and then the pain calmed down. Now I'm noticing a grinding type feeling when I bend my knee, but the grinding isn't in my knee it's right where the bottom of my femur is. I don't know if it's been this way the whole time and I just didn't notice it until now, or if I damaged something when I tripped.
I also had my bandage removed today as per dr orders. I have staples in this time with a steri-strip along the incision over the staples. When she took the bandage off I was shocked. The entire area where the bandage was is covered in little tiny blisters, some of them were leaking clear fluid and there's one medium sized blister right at the top of the incision. I have no idea what caused this, the bandage they used was the same type of bandage used in my first surgery. Idk if they were different brands and maybe there was something in the glue that caused this. I know I've never seen anything like it and the blisters burn like the top of my leg is on fire. I did call the doctors office about it and his nurse asked if I could take some pics of it and email them to her so she can forward them to my doctor so he could decide what needed to be done. He ended up calling in some steroids for me. So hopefully that will help them go away, I'm already taking benadryl because my pain meds make me itch sometimes. It's been a very rough day all around :(
 
I'm sorry you tripped! A walker is probably the best thing for safety and stability during these early, wobbly days- I hope you are using one.
 
Can you post a photo of those blisters on here, @Xanaphia ? I'd like to see what Josephine thinks, too.
 
@Xanaphia
I'm sorry to hear you are having a rough time. Tripping and hyper extending is exactly what I did at 4 weeks. It was easily done too.The OS said there was no structural damage though. I hope the pain will calm down for you very soon, and that those blisters can be treated quickly.
Be extra careful moving around.
Tabby xxx
 
I am so sorry to hear about your mishap. Please be extra careful and maybe use your walker all the time until you are stronger.
 
Ouch. I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time. Sending good thoughts and healing prayers your way.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
I called the nurse and she had me email her pictures of my leg so she could forward them to my doctor and later that night he called in a prescription for some steroids and said he wanted to see me the next day. So I went in and he said it was an allergic reaction to the bandage I had had on. So he put me on antibiotics too just to be on the safe side. It's cleared up alot, the blisters are all gone and it just looks like a faded rash. I love how quick this doctor responds and actually cares about his patients, and his nurse is so sweet. I wish I had found this doctor first because I've never gotten this good of care since I moved to trxas. He also gave me a refill on my norco 10's because the hospital only gave me 30 and it was supposed to be 120. My pain continues to be well managed. Now if I can just get my knee to stop hurting when I try to lift it lol
 
I'm so glad your doctor and nurse were responsive. That makes all the difference.

I hope today is a day of rest and healing for you.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
Glad your doctor and nurse are on top of everything and respond to your call ASAP. Hope the steroids help.
 
Just wanted to give an update :) I had an appointment with my doctor on the 21st. They took my staples out and asked all kinds of questions about how well my pain is being managed. The oxycontin they had me on was losing its effectiveness at night while I was trying to sleep so he replaced it with morphine. It's pretty strong stuff lol I sleep alot. However the healing process is going very very nicely. It does swell up a bit if im up on it too long, but it's not even 1/4 as bad as it used to swell before my revision. It doesn't turn that nasty purple red color anymore. He started me in outpatient physical therapy today and at first I was really scared because I've heard so much bad stuff, but it was actually very good. Alot of what the therapist did actually felt good. She had me bend my knee so she could measure it and im at a 114° bend and my extension is at 5, so it's almost straight. She did some things where she would lift my leg up and rest my foot on her arm while allowing my leg to gently stretch and then she would lightly massage the back of my knee while bending it just enough to stretch a little bit and it didn't hurt at all, it felt good lol. We did a bunch of different exercises, all of them gentle and we worked on my gait since I can walk without a walker already, in fact she cleared me off the walker and said I can walk with my cane if I choose to. I can still use my walker if I have to but im not required to anymore.
All in all I am very very pleased at how well my knee is finally healing. I've also got an herbal supplement that my daughter bought me (it's been ok'd with the doctor) it's called MSM and what it does is promote healthy joint healing and growth.
Im so glad I found this doctor I really feel like after 4 months of hell im finally getting my life back, one day at a time :)
 
Those are great numbers. Just be careful, pt can feel great at the time, but there's pain afterward and even into the next day. Tomorrow will tell the tale.
 
It's great to hear how well your revision has gone. Your OS seems like he is on top of everything. As Karri has said be careful with PT. With your ROM so good already you don't want anything to cause you to have any problems now.
 
I am so glad you are doing so well. You went through hell from your last surgery and now you have a doctor that knows what he's doing! Praise God!
 
So good to read this report, things are really looking up for you at last. I hope the PT stays gentle!
Loving wishes,Tabby xxx
 
I was a little tiny bit sore today, but not a whole lot. Ive only actually needed my pain meds once today and that's because my dad came down (haven't seen him in 3 years) and I was up on it all day. Usually im spending most of my time in bed, but even the pain from being up on it was very minimal. I do have to resist the urge ato least 100 times a day to refrain from calling my old doctors office and telling them what a crud doctor they work for and I find it amusing that he botched my knee replacement therefore can shove his bill where the sun don't shine, but, me being a Christian and trying to live life the right way I just can't do that lol all I can do is when I come across people who are talking about needing knee replacement I steer them in the direction of the doctor I used and I tell them my story, hoping that the patients he does have don't get hurt by him like I was. Im only 37, I should have been put living life, not crying from agonizing pain for 4 months and then being told it was all in my head, but im trying to put that in my reareview mirror as I heal and look forward to the day I am fully healed because I know now without a doubt it is coming :)
 
It sounds like you are doing very well. After enduring the pain that never got better after your TKR the pain after the revision seems so much less.
 
Praise God that you are doing so well! I can certainly understand how you would want to chew out your old surgeon. Just pray that he doesn't mess up anyone else!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom