Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Bruising 3 years out

This is after elevating AND icing and yet the lump is still there, and its not squishy like normal swelling would be, its kind of hard and when I push on it it hurts and I can feel something moving and its not my knee cap.... its to the left and below my knee cap.... the 17th cannot possibly get here soon enough. I also have pain STILL along the bottom of my femur, same as its been since surgery. Ive been out of pain meds for 5 days now and its been a nightmare.
[Bonesmart.org] Bruising 3 years out
 
@Tabbycat yes I do see the redness, and I know from everything Ive read that swelling and pain are normal for quite a while after TKR but when I look at your pic I still see a very defined knee with a red scar down the middle. I had to stop looking at pictures of other peoples knees because it depresses me because at 4 months they all look so good and mine is so odd looking compared to theirs. I feel like I walked into that hospital on the 12th with a life and walked out with none.... I cant barely go anywhere without massive pain and swelling and when it swells its just weird, like the whole thing doesnt swell its hard to explain without the pictures Ive posted. The pictures is the only way to describe it. I just wish I could capture it when its almost as dark as my hair because THEN you would see that angry angry color the whole thing turns..
 
Hi @Xanaphia
I feel the same about looking at other's pictures because I think mine looks odd. I can see the swelling you are talking about though. I pray you will get some definite answers on Wednesday.
 
:bawl: @Josephine @Celle I suppose its time to change my TKR badge to Revision.... because unfortunatley thats whats happening on the 7th of September. This new doctor was able to look on my xrays they took today in the office and see right away what was causing the trouble and also confirmed it when he moved the bottom part of my knee around. My old OS put in a spacer that was TOO SMALL, and that is what has been causing all the extra pain that shouldnt be there, thats why no matter how hard I try I cannot strengthen my quad muscles and why my leg gives out. There isnt enough stability in there like there should be. He said the muscle spasms are most likely because Im 4 months out and the nerves have finally healed and realized that something isnt right.
Im terrified. My first go round was a living nightmare, and now I get to go thru it all over again and I just cannot stop crying and I want to punch my old OS so bad. He did an xray the last time I was in his office and said everything looked fine and that the pain was all in my head when in fact everything was NOT alright and the pain is NOT all in my head. I dont know how to feel about this. Im scared. Im going to be 50 miles away from my family and Im terrified of this being as bad as the last time.
I have to say that this doctor is very kind and compassionate, and seems to have a very good eye. His nurses are all sweet and friendly and the office, Alpha Orthopedics is amazing.

So....... with a sad, very very fearful heart.... here we go again..... already..... :sos::scare:
 
I am so sorry you have to do this again, but look at the bright side, you found a doctor that was able to figure out what is wrong and is going to correct it, soon you will finally recover and be pain free.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery, I really wish you all the best!!
 
@Xanaphia, I'm so sorry for all you've gone thru and have to go thru again! So thankful you found an excellent surgeon to fix this for you! You'll be in my prayers!
 
Relax. I had a revision and the recuperation was so different than the original TKR. This time you will have a functional knee and you will get better. I went through the same thing with my old OS. He said all was good and it wasn't the case. You now have an OS who is listening to you and he has found the problem. It WILL be fixed. Life will be good again.
 
Thank you ladies for your kind words of encouragement. I went into this knowing that someday I would have to have a revision, I just didnt know it would be 4½ months after the original surgery. I really wish I had done my homework better before I allowed this doctor to operate on me. Maybe if I had found Dr Tulson sooner I wouldn't be going through this. But I'm going to put on my brave face and face this like a woman. I CAN and WILL get through this. I've got God on my side and a dang good doctor that not only has a resume that is amazingly awesome, but his staff are friendly, the office is top rated and so is the hospital I will be staying in even though it's 50 miles away from home. I have no doubt that I will get much better care at Baylor than I did at WNJ
 
@Xanaphia
I'm so sorry you have to go through this again, but it sounds like it will be the answer to your problem. Try not to look back, but picture yourself in a few months time on the road to recovery at last. It will take courage, but you've got this far, you will get through it, and be stronger as a result. What a relief to find such an excellent surgeon and hospital you feel happy with. You will get the best of care. I wish you God's blessing.
We are here for you.
Tabby xxx
 
Over half of your battle has already been won. You found out that there is a reason for all your pain and swelling and that it's not in your head! You have found a wonderful, caring doctor and office personnel. And you have a date for you new, perfect knee to be replacing that painful, incorrect one! You will be fine. You have lots of people praying for you on this site. And you know that can't hurt!!
 
Thank goodness you're finally getting some help @Xanaphia. Hopefully if the spacer is the problem it will be a less complicated surgery. Did he explain what he needs to do?
 
I'm sorry to hear that you need a Revision, but I'm really glad that someone is listening to you at last.

If it's any comfort to you, having the spacer exchanged is nowhere near as big an operation as your original TKR.
I'll change your thread prefix when you have it done. Until then, best wishes. :friends:
 
I am so sorry that this has happened to you, but, like Celle said its a spacer exchange, not a whole new implant. Your healing will not be as painful with the right spacer and you've found a great doctor. Baylor is an awesome place, I hear. You'll be able to heal correctly this time.
 
Update. There was cancellation and they offered me the slot so I could get started on recovery sooner and I took it so my surgery is now next wedensdsy, the 31st. @kneeper he said he will have to cut me back open, the same as a tkr so he has a better view just to make sure there's nothing else going on that didn't show on the xray. He will remove the old spacer, clean it out and put in the proper spacer. If for some reason he finds something else wrong he will fix it. Once the surgery is done I'll be attached to an ice machine that is part of a ROM brace which probably means my leg will be locked in place, he does not use a cpm machine thank God. I'll be in the hospital 3 days, 2 nights. Strange thing is, I am no longer fearful. I am a praying person and the fear has disappeared, instead while I'm not looking forward to starting over with rehab etc, I've just got this wonderful feeling that when he's done, I'm going to get my life back with no more horrific pain and agony. I believe the hospital uses a PCA for pain relief which would be good because those things really help alot with pain. Only problem is I'm basically immune to morphine because my body is so used to pain meds and I'll let him know that, it causes me to itch really crazy like too, always has. I'll keep yall posted about how it went and stuff. :)
 
That's about where my thinking was before my revision. I wanted to just have it done because I was in so much pain. I had to have everything replaced but a spacer exchange should be a bit easier recovery. My second OS used the same incision line too. I'm sure that this time you will have a much better recovery.
 
Yeah @newlybionic I do believe your right. I've finally hit that breaking point where I've been in absolute agony for so long that my mindset is I know this is going to hurt, maybe not as bad as the original but it will still be pretty painful (both the doctor and his coordinator made sure to prepare me for that) but I don't care, let's do this I'm ready for this to end. I'm sick of my bed, tired of not being able to really live and enjoy life so I'm willing to face this because I know it will be a much better experience and despite surgery being painful, I'll be put of pain when it heals!! That thought alone makes me want to cry with joy, I'm going to get my life back and I'm so grateful I finally found a good doctor and a good hospital. I'm ready :dancy::spin::cheers:
 
You have the right attitude, there is no use looking back, just concentrate on finally getting relief!!!
 
You are going to be fine. You have a wonderful attitude and going into it expecting to be relieved and you will! God will bless you through this. You are much too young to be having your life on hold as long as you have. I, too, am a praying woman, and I'll be praying for you!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom