Revision TKR Bruising 3 years out

I agree with Flyaway79 - I am almost at 4 months, back at work (mostly desk job) and am mighty tired in the evenings. Not sleeping fully at night yet, mostly because I wake up several times and that also leads to increased fatigue. Hopefully you will slowly gain back your energy.
 
My return to work resulted in extreme fatigue as well. I never took into account the mental exhaustion that would come as a result of working on *getting back to normal*, along with the added physical activity of just doing more throughout the day. It is getting better for me though. Hang in there!
 
I still lacked stamina at month 7. Anytime I added a new activity or exercise I was extremely tired. Month 7 was beginning to swim again.
 
You also had several surgeries in a relatively short time. For me, each additional surgery seemed to add more recovery time.
 
I'm at 3 months post-op. On Sunday, I took my longest walk yet, one lovely hour through the woods. It wasn't a struggle or painful at all. Within 40 minutes of getting home, I fell into a 2.5 hour coma...whoops, I mean nap!

As such, yes, I do think it's perfectly "normal" for you to still experience deep fatigue now and then. This surgery is a tremendous kick in the keister; pffft!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am almost 6 months post op. Should I still be in pain?? My ROM is great by I cannot be on my feet for long before I start hurting and have to take pain meds
 
I found building up a walking regime helped me to stand and walk longer without pain. I began with 2 short walks a day, about 10-15 minutes and added 5 minutes a week, then I combined the 2 walks into one longer walk. It was amazing! I can stand for nearly an hour before I'm uncomfortable and that mostly due to my natural knee. I'm walking about 50-60 minutes 4-5 days a week now.
 
Your knee has been through a whole lot. A normal tkr takes at least a year to heal. Yours isn't but half of the way through that healing time. You know that awful "P" word we keep talking about...patience is needed! Having some pain is still normal at 6 months.
 
Hey guys... it' been a while since I posted here..

A lot has happened and unfortunately I'm looking at going back under the knife next month.. This time for a partial revision of the actual device instead of just the spacer. I am curious though. My doctor only wants to replace the femoral component instead of both parts and I'm wondering if this is normal or if my doctor is just being lazy.

The reason for the revision is because I'm still having a lot of massive pain and the device is indeed loose. We tried a month of intense physical therapy, the doctor was hoping that by strengthening the muscles and ligaments around it that it would help bring more stability but unfortunately that didn't help.

What bothers me is he wants to replace just the femoral component but the tibial component is what's loose. My physical therapist was able to actually move the component from side to side and such, so I'm wondering how replacing just the top part will make the bottom part more stable.

Should I go through with this or should I insist that if he is going to cut me open again that he replace both parts? Because right now with all the surgeries I'm starting to feel like a piggy bank and I don't want to have to have another surgery after this because we find out afterwards that the bottom part is still loose.

Ugh I hate going through this. A big part of me really wishes I had never let that first doctor do the TKR because it' been nothing but a nightmare ever since :(
 
Xanaphia,
I am going to tag @Josephine to address your question about replacing only the femoral component.
It is more common to replace both components.
If the bottom part is loose, it will always be loose, there is no way around this except to replace it.

IMO, His reasoning sounds like wishful thinking, leaving the loose component in your knee is not going to help.
Personally I would not let this OS near my knee again.

Have you sought another opinion? I strongly suggest you do, before proceeding with another surgery.
 
I also agree that it is silly to have surgery and then leave a loose component in your knee. My PT was able to move my lower leg a little because the spacer was a little loose. When the doctor removed the adhesions, he opened the knee and replaced the spacer with a slightly bigger one which did make the knee more stable. But, if you know that the tibial component is loose there is just no way I would have surgery and leave the loose component in your knee. I agree that I would change docs too. One strike and you are out when it comes to major surgery.
 
I’d also be looking for a second opinion. This guy has had plenty of chances to get it right.
 
Run as fast as you can away from this doctor! Leaving it loose it just not right. You deserve better treatment than this!
 
What bothers me is he wants to replace just the femoral component but the tibial component is what's loose. My physical therapist was able to actually move the component from side to side and such, so I'm wondering how replacing just the top part will make the bottom part more stable.
It won't. Not no how!
Should I go through with this or should I insist that if he is going to cut me open again that he replace both parts?
I agree with the previous four posters. Do NOT let him near you. So replace a stable implant instead of the known to be loose one is outrageous and irresponsible. Never heard of such a thing!

Actually, if it was me, I'd report him to whatever authority is appropriate.
 
Well.. here I am, 2 years and 5 months since my original TKR, and 2 partial revisions later and idk what happened but now not only is the bottom component moving but the top one is moving now too. What a nightmare. I recently moved to Georgia, so now I have to find a new Ortho doctor but before I can do that I have to see a doctor and have my heart checked because I'm having some pretty scary symptoms.
I really wish I would have never had the TKR done, it really wrecked things for me
 
Oh @Xanaphia , I am so sorry to read you still have problems with your knee replacement. :console2:

I agree with the others. There's no way you should allow your previous surgeon anywhere near your knee again. Both metal components of your knee need to be replaced and this should be done by a surgeon who specializes in dealing with problem knees and fixing them. These surgeons are skilled at doing revisions that work well.

To find the right sort of surgeon to revise your TKR, you can start by using the "Find surgeon" tab at the top of the page and making a lisgt of orthopaedic surgeons in your area. Then start phoning - you need to ask if a surgeon specializes in doing revision surgery, and how many revisions he/she does in a year.

Or, if you give Jamie your zip code, she may be able to suggest someone in your area.

I hope that your heart symptoms turn out to be something minor that can be sorted out easily.
 
Sorry to hear of your complications. I had a run of bad luck too but finally got it all ironed out. Not as bad as your situation. I live just south of Atlanta and could suggest a couple of doctors if you are in the Atlanta area.
 
I had TKR about 3 years ago. I had nothing but problems following the surgery and ended up having 2 partial revisions where they put a bigger spacer in. I was then told my knee replacement was failing and was scheduled for total revision. Life smacked me around and I had to cancel a few times. I ended up getting discharged from the Ortho due to missed appointments. For the past 3 months I've had this triangular bruise on the left side where I had the TKR. I have no way to get a revision right now due to issues with my insurance. Should I be worried or is this bruising normal when a TKR is failing??

20210114_134812.jpg
 
@Xanaphia You will notice I moved your latest post to your original recovery thread. This is so we have your whole history in one place.

No, bruising is not necessarily a symptom of a failed implant. I know these are exceptional times but I do recommend you look for a surgeon who can guide you through a proper revision.
 
Every so often I'll have bruises pop up and I can't remember bumping my knee. Maybe it's something that just happens. I'm not concerned about mine cause they go away. Does your hurt? Mine will if I push on them but otherwise I wouldn't know they're there.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom