TKR Brownie's Good, Bad, & Uglies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh poor Marianne. So sorry to hear of all you have gone through. I can only repeat one everyone else has said. I can offer no advice, but just sending you my love and very bestest of wishes for a speedy recovery. You have just gone through TOOOO much for one person to bear.

You WILL recover from all this. Again, that same old thang - patience. Heavens, we all know that is hard, but we know we get there in the end, as you will too :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Marianne, I so wish you a speedy recovery my friend! (((HUGS))) You were so right to continue pushing on to find answers for your pain, although it doesn't make the healing process any easier unfortunately. I think you shouldn't warn you OS either, because he sounds like the kind of doctor who would doctor up your records just to cover his own shabby way of doing business! It's best you surprise him with lawsuit the way he surprised you with his shabby workmanship! We're always here for you, so please come and vent as often as you want to, it'll help cleanse and clear your mind! :console2:
 
So good to hear from you. I know this is a tought time. It will get better. Please do come here and chat if you find yourself feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all. We're here for you!!! (((HUGS))))
 
Brownie, I think you should request a copy of all medical records right now. It is likely that the hospital will notify him of your hospitalization. Second, you can call the hospital and get the operative report sent to you.

I am so sorry to hear of your plight---and it is all so unnecessary. He should have recognized the pain probably meant a bone infection early on in the process. What a donkey donut!!!

This is a time that will test your will. I really do know how you feel---I had 8 weeks of inactivity after my "Lysis of adhesions" last spring. I really did not want to do it--but, like you, had no choice. I ranted and raved and frankly I was pretty irritable for my husband---he would like to tell you all about THAT!!

Finally, I settled down-- I got everything from Amazon---I ordered some cashmere and knitted two scarves. I read lots of books. I watched all of Downton Abbey, I watched all of Doc Martin. I did some drawing and painting, but somehow my own profession had little draw for me. I felt like I could not work.jj

Are you on disability now? I know that it is tough not to work at the beginning of the school year. Do you have a diagnosis and some idea of how long you will be on antibiotics? Is the infection in the implant or in the little holes from the device for geography?

Marianne, I am so upset myself that you have to go through all of this. My heart is with you and thinking of you. Let me know if you need more dvds. I just got Aragon and you can have it now. I have some of Jane Austen's dvds too. Kelly
 
Brownie51,

The mini crying jags, the suddenly feeling all alone, the wish that it was over, me, me,me! Infection will knock you down to the very core of who you are and have you questioning everything! Anger at people, sadness at what if's, and depression over what is! Here is the kicker:
This was the point where there was a fork in the road for me i could become better or bitter! I thought back to the reasons I had my knees replaced in the first place and chose better! It won't be easy, infection saps your energy and your want to, but it will be worth it! I will keep you in my prayers! You have always been so supportive of me! :friends:
 
Hello Marianne,
I am just popping by to say Hi. I hope things will soon start to get a bit easier for you and your pain will settle.
If hugs and love could fix you we would all have had you better ages ago! You know we are all here for you.
Rant away, you have earned it!
I hope today is a better day for you,
Hugs Toothfairy x :console2: :flwrysmile:
 
HI everyone
Thank you so much for your support.
skigirl It's the distal tibia that is the problem. He put 2 pinholes there and looked infected from the get go to me. The diagnosis is osteomyelitis. I will be on IV antibiotics twice a day for 6 weeks. I don't know what happens then. I think they will do another MRI of my tibia/ankle to see how the bone is doing. The pain has increased not decreased. My primary dr thought it would be 4 or 5 weeks before I would see any improvement.
I have private disability and need to call the company and get the process started.
I think it's hard when you live alone. You don't have that person there to lift you up when you go down. You have to work yourself out of it. Then you feel like you need to stay positive when someone visits otherwise they will stop visiting. You just want to talk about your pain and hurt at being let down by my dr, but if I stay there in that mood people will grown tired of me.
I have already ordered my medical records from UCLA. My TKR was at a different hospital. I want to make sure he does not access any further medical records of mine. I don't know how to go about that. I called the hospital liaison to report the infection but she has not returned my call.
Only one week into the IV and feel exhausted. Pain and pain med making me tired. Thank you all so much for all your support. It means so much to me. Love to you all, Marianne
 
Marianne,

Infection pain does not go away quickly, I can promise you that! It takes time and the antibiotics that are zapping the infection are also working on your whole body right now. Sleep, depression, outright exhaustion to the point you don't think you can get out of bed! Keep on posting, I DO understand! I will be here for you! :friends: :console2:
 
Dear brownie,
I hope you are feeling better :) it must be hard to live by yourself, but you do have all your friends here :console2:
To talk to you when you are feeling down or want to vent.
Good for you for getting all your records together. You have been through so much, please :sleep: & let your
Body heal.
Thinking of you always,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
You may live alone, but you're not alone. We're just a computer link away. Ok, it's not the same as having someone right there, but you've got a lot of people with you. Sending healing vibes.
 
And you can complain and be as down as you need to be and we will be here for you. I was just so depressed for the last two weeks because of our dog, Charlie's death. It has taken me a while to see the brighter side of life. You are right Marianne---when you are depressed, the dark side of life is so much more visible--but no one wants to hear about it!! I have been a real drag to be around--luckily my husband was depressed too, so we just wallowed in our misery for a while.

It IS hard to be alone through all of this. You have been ignored by your doc. I know that you are in pain---and your doc even denied you pain meds. Of course you are angry and hurt---I would be too.

But, I am thinking of you and I will listen to anything you want to say---we all feel for you here and long for the day that you can tell us the pain is going away. Kelly
 
Thank you all so much.
The new ortho doc is a not a friendly warm guy but that is okay.
He says antibiotics alone will not heal my bone so he wants to open it up and scrape out the infection. It will be about a 5 inch incision on the front of my distal tibia. He will put in a drain. I am having it done on Tuesday and will stay overnight. He is concerned about the infection "seeding" my knee and said that would be a real disaster.
I am as down as I have ever been in my life. My son is here thank God until Monday. I hate being dependent and I am so worn down from constant pain. I have to roll around the house on an office chair, when I used the walker the pain is so much greater and my ankle swells up.
I am scared about having more pain with this surgery. Scared I will end up with a knee infection.
I thank you all so much for being there for me and understanding all my fears and worries.
Marianne
 
skigirl I tried to find your thread to tell you how sorry I am about Charlie! That is so sad and I know you cherish all your memories of your best friend. My little Sophie is such a comfort to me. She is like a toddler who does everything wrong but she is so affectionate and loving and snuggly. She is 7 so I guess she will always be my goofy little dog who has "issues", but she's mine. I am sorry you lost your Charlie and I hope it as old age and not an accident.
Marianne
 
Dear brownie,
I just don't know what to say :sorry: I am so happy your son is with you, he must be a great comfort.
You have been through so much & I'm sure you didn't want to hear more surgery.
My thoughts & prayers to you during this very difficult time. Keep all your records from your first surgeon,
Who didn't listen to you. You may have a law suit against him :hissy:
Take care, we love you & want you to get better :console2:
Diana
 
Brownie,
I am just sick that this is happening to you. Sending prayers and healing thoughts your way.
BTW: Sure sounds like you could use a manual wheelchair with an elevating leg rest to get around your house.
Your insurance should pay to rent one for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom