TKR Brownie's Good, Bad, & Uglies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Marianne, sorry to hear your having a very slow recovery. I really hoped your second TKR would be so much easier but its been the complete opposite. Really going to work???? Wont that be too much for you even without the kids. My days are so different even with the first knee done the same time as your first. Some days Im up and running (well sort of) and other days it can take hours to get going. When you work you don't have the option to take it easy do you. And you have two TKR,s and lots of problems. I feel for you. Sorry this post was supposed to say Hi Hope youre doing OK and its turned a little miserable hasn't it. Anyways...... Hope you feel better soon. Take it easy....... and Happy Healing. Sending Hugs from a very wet UK. Where did the sun go??????
 
Yes Pat! I hear you! My October knee has been hurting too. I think it's from the crutching around. Also, you are so right. The darn thing is still stiff and achey sometimes. The new one did so much better than that one but now things aren't really progressing so much on the new knee since I am not walking at all. Zero! I take a few steps with crutches taking some of the weight off just to see what it would be like to walk and it hurts both knees especially the new one. It feels weird too. I've had 5 weeks of non weight bearing and I don't see any improvement and feels like I am knee wise getting more sore and achey. I am so negative today. Someone should shut down my laptop! ha! I only took one Norco pain pill today, trying to use ibuprofen to cut the pain. Forget ibuprofen and tylenol. I was trying to do the cocktail thing but it's the Norco that gives me relief. I think the pain relief from the Norco gives me a false sense of security that my tibia is healing. Now I'm taking another Norco and thank god I have them to take. I feel so bad for the folks who have been cut off from relief. If I couldn't get relief I don't think I could do my exercises or even get myself into the pool.
I tell you it is going to be such a shock for my little dog when I go to work. She's been rolled up next to me for 6 weeks straight now! If I stop scratching her she gently lifts her paw and scratches me. My little pal. I think she now qualifies as a therapy dog! She knows what to do.
 
Brownie, even under perfect conditions it would not be unusual for you to still need prescription pain meds at 6 weeks. So please don't think there is something wrong with your recovery because you still have pain that cannot be controlled with ibuprofen and/or Tylenol. TAKE YOUR MEDS and be happy for the pain relief!!! This is a good thing!

How much longer must you be non-weight bearing? I don't recall what your surgeon has said. It will help both your mental and physical well-being when you can fully engage your TKR leg.

Other than you feeling a bit down, I really don't read anything in your posts about your status that should cause you alarm. Well......other than the fact that you may be headed back to work a bit too soon, but that's just something I'll always be ragging folks about. You'll make it work, I know.
 
HI Jamie
Dr. told me it wasn't a stress fracture but if it was it could take from 4-12 weeks to heal. I am 6 weeks post op and no change in the tibia. The pain is not getting any better, can't put any weight on left leg at all. I don't know if that means the tibia is not healing or this is just status quo as it heals. I saw my rheumatologist Thursday. She was surprised at my tibia mess. And about his cutting my pain med at 2 weeks while I had such a complication. She ordered an MRI and is going to try and get one of the UCLA docs to see me for a second opinion. So I am waiting to hear about that. The tissues and bone are both still swollen and tender.
I see my OS on Friday. At this point if I had someone who I could trust to take over my care I would consider not going back to him. For now he is all I have but my trust is gone. He is happy to just wait and hope this goes away, but I go back to work Aug 19 so I want more answers. I am starting to think he made some kind of mistake and didn't do the tibial tracker placement correctly. I can't imagine that the rest of his knee patients have the same holes in their tibias with no pain and no disability.
Some days I need to take more pain med that others. And my knees are both getting more sore. They need to be walking. They get so stiff and painful from all this sitting around when normally I would be up doing things.
M
 
Marianne,

I am continuing to pray for your healing each day! I sure wish there was more I could do...please know that I am in your corner...each day! Sending you hugs and encouragement!

:puppysmooze: Harplayer (Lee)
 
Dear brownie,
So sorry to hear you are still in so much pain :sorry: I'm glad your rheumatologist ordered a MRI &
Will show your case to other doctors. Maybe you will get another opinion &can be on your way to
Recovery.
You could possibly get a new o.s, who would take you on :)
Thinking of you,
Diana :console2:
 
Brownie,
Please no worries about the pain meds, you have pain, you need pain medication. I had a complication with torn tendons in my foot at 6 weeks, and took narcotic pain meds regularly for 6 months, and then as needed for another 3 months.
I am very glad to hear your rheumatologist is doing further testing, and hope you can find a second opinion with a reputable OS.
Here is a photo of Emerald Bay for you to enjoy for a moment. :friends:
[Bonesmart.org] Brownie's Good, Bad, & Uglies
 
I'm glad your rheumy is attempting to figure this out if your OS won't. :(
 
Brownie51

I'm sorry the troubles have continued. I was so hoping #2 would go smooth for you (for me, too). I have not been on the this forum much lately, but I try to check your progress.
 
Thank you everyone!
I get my MRI of my tibia Monday. They use a certain machine for patients full of metal like us! Then on Friday I see my second opinion OS. Both at UCLA. He only does the open procedure which is why I didn't go to him in the first place, plus he is another one with the dreaded typical OS personality. One of my rheumy's OS buddies said he didn't know how much the MRI is going to show since I had surgery in that area. Sounds familiar to the scan results where osteomyelitis and fracture could not be ruled out.
I even called the Zimmer company who made my implant and the computerized navigation system my OS used. I quickly learned that the holes were placed way too low on my tibia, like by inches. Someone else will be calling me but the person I talked to wants to do a PER (forgot the initials) but a Product evaluation or review on my case. It does not involve my doctor, but involves my op report, my post op xrays and product information sheet. So I have made arrangements for all of that and will pick up xrays tomorrow and put in my request for my chart.
I may as well get that information now before I go back to work.
The tibia pain is a little worse and the area so tender around pinhole area. My calf muscle is atrophied. Even when on the bike it seems like my quads are doing all the work. My other calf is normal thankfully.
I hope my primary doctor will refill my meds when these have run out. I don't know what I would do if I wasn't able to take medication to give me pain relief. I don't understand why the tibia hurts so bad in the morning when I have had it up all night. It seems like it would be best at that time. I understand why our knees hurt the worst in the morning.
I hope everyone has a nice Friday! thank you for listening.
 
I'm going to tag Josephine to be sure she sees your update, Brownie. I do hope this second opinion works out for you. How fortunate that your rheumatologist is helping you out with all this!!!
 
Dear brownie,
Sorry to hear about your continued pain :sorry: you have had to fight so hard for answers :headbang:
But you stuck with it.i hope your 2nd opinion gives you some answers.
For you to contact the maker of your implant is brilliant...they will know if your surgeon placed things
Where they should be.
:angel: for you to get the answers you deserve,
Diana :console2:
 
I quickly learned that the holes were placed way too low on my tibia, like by inches
I did think this, don't know if I actually said it on the thread but it seemed to me I'd never seen anchor holes that low before. be interesting to see what Zimmer peeps have to say about it.
 
Dear brownie,
Thinking of you & hoping you are feeling better :) good luck this week with your MRI & doctors app.
I :angel: you find the answers to your questions. It's been a long road for you...
Please keep posting....we care :console2: & want you to feel better..
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Brownie is in the hospital getting started on IV antibiotics tonight I am sure she will update,when she can.
 
Cathy thank you for posting for me!
MRI was positive for osteo this am. In hospital and on On Vancomycin and zosyn IV . I had an appt with my OS after the MRI but he didn't know about my rheumatologist ordering it and I did not tell him. I didn't find out until after my visit that I had osteomyelitis and needed to go to the hospital. I told him about the increased pain and tender area having doubled in the last week. He told me to buy a tube sock to wear in my boot.he just never did listen to my concerns nor my symptoms. I will never go back.
I was so emotional and pretty much scared to death about what's going to happen with my leg and life. Wish I'd stuck with Spitzer and had old school surgery now.
I feel I am getting good care here at UCLA . Tomorrow infectious disease will see me and tell me what's going on and what to do.
My arm is starting to burn getting the vancomycin now.
Thanks for listening!
NightQuilter. Yikes! Huh? Just found your tele on my phone today. You may hear from me!
Josephine
Poof Vickie can't find you on my emails! Can you send me one?
 
Brownie51

I am glad to hear that your rheumatologist was proactive and ordered the MRI. It sounds like you are on the right track to getting better. It must be hard to deal with all of this. Good for you for firing your OS. It sounds like he didn't listen to you. I'll say a prayer for you.

Keep us updated, please. Take care :flwrysmile:
 
Dear Brownie, I am glad you are now in good hands :) I am so sorry this has happened to you :console2: I hope your treatment works & you feel better

Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom