TKR Brownie's Good, Bad, & Uglies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brownie....even though this new surgeon may not be a huggy-bear, it does sound like he knows his business. I'm happy about that. It just may be that this procedure on Tuesday will help reduce your pain. I like that he's being aggressive with the infection. Hooray for your son for being there for you too!!! He's a comfort to you, I'm sure. Let us know how you're doing.
 
Brownie: as the newest member of this community, I want to wish you well. Remember you are not alone. I've been learning that there is a kind of hope that comes before despair (blind optimism), and the kind of hope that comes after despair. You will know that hope again.
 
Brownie, thanks for the nice note. Charlie was a rescue dog. Our vet asked us to keep him over the weekend since he was barking so much in the kennel. We fell in love, of course, and adopted him. His family was violent and his owner went to live in a house for abused women. She took him with her, but did not have enough resources for food, vet care, etc. So she put him up for adoption with our vet.

When we got him, he was skittish and in bad shape. He had one eye that the vet said was a "dry eye" and we spent a ton of money buying meds for him. Finally, we noticed that the swelling on his neck which the vet thought was an enlarged lympth gland from the dry eye---but, it got bigger, so we asked for a biopsy. Of course, it was sarcoma---a very aggressive cancer. He had one in wrapped around his tonsils and the big one in his neck..

We took him home with us and decided that we would love him until he died. All told, he was with us four months. He lived one month after his diagnosis. Our vet told us that he could not believe the difference in the dog after one month with us---the power of love. One thing we loved about Charlie was that he always jumped for joy when he saw his food coming down the pike!!! He lived a joyful life and taught us about living well. That is his picutre in my avatar---two days before he died, he could still laugh!!
 
Thank you all! skigirl that is so neat about Charlie. He sounds like a sweet dog and I'm so sorry you lost him.
This am I woke to tibia pain that is way further up my tibia. I hope this is just referred pain from my knee. I am so worried about it all. I will tell Dr. before the surgery. My son is still asleep but leaves soon. I am a little freaked about him leaving. He is defensive about Dr. Reff and doesn't want to hear anymore about my anger at Reff and doesn't think I should sue him. He says that people don't want to hear my snide comments about Reff. Frankly my friends make snide comments about Reff and I like it. I am gradually working out my anger by discussing it. How long has it been since I found out I had osteo? 2 weeks! That is not enough time to get over this. Day and day then week after week I told Reff something was wrong and he ignored me, stuck his head in the sand thinking it was my "hypersensitivity to pinholes". What a donkey donut. I admit, I hate him. I will get over this when the pain stops! I don't sit around hating him all day but when it comes up how I got in this mess....my disgust with him comes out. No one but my son has complained about me mentioning it! But in general the last couple days have been good. I am going to miss him.
My youngest son gets in at 2:30 today from San Francisco. It was bad timing for him but he came. He will take me to the hospital and pick me up. I am probably going to have alot of pain after this. Have any of you had this procedure where they scoop the bone marrow and bone out that has the infection? My area was originally 9 cm about 4 inches but my swelling is more diffuse now and I worry there is alot more infection since the MRI but there was a decrease in pain so I just don't know. Now this am with tibial pain higher up I am so worried.
I can't thank you enough for listening and sending your loving messages.
 
Dear brownie,
Who can blame you for being mad at your o.s :hissy: he is the reason this has gone on as long as it has,
Possibly ,if he had listened to you this could of been taken care off earlier.
Now is the time to switch gears, & think about getting you better. I am so happy your other son will be with
You during this time :) he will be a great comfort to you.
If you are still thinking about suing your o.s, get a lawyer lined up when you are feeling better.
They will do all the leg work, records from hospital, your records of what he said to you.
The lawyers will tell you if they will take your case or not. I bet they will...
We will be thinking of you tomorrow & :angel: for your recovery.
Love & hugs.... :console2:
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Brownie51 I have been following your story. I have no experience with your problem so I can't offer advice. What I can do is send you good wishes and a hug.
I think you are justified in your anger and I would also be giving serious thought to further action when your recovery is done.
Thinking of you
Wanda
 
I agree that if it's at all possible, try to focus on getting better right now. You have every right to be angry, but there will be plenty of time to deal with your surgeon and any action you may decide to take once you are on the mend. Positive thoughts are the order of the day. I don't have any information about the procedure, but I'm going to tag Josephine in the hopes that she can advise you. You may have some pain afterwards, but what we want to get to is that "healing" pain from surgery where you know instinctively that it's getting better. My heart and prayers are with you. I'm glad you son will be by your side.
 
Dear Brownie,
Come here to vent your frustrations, you are justified in your anger.:sad:
Whem my MIL at age 90 got an infection after her second THA, the rehab doctor missed it and sent her home. We found out later (at least in Nevada) missed infections are a very serious matter. The OS took care of it ASAP, and she was fine.
Concentrate on getting well, vent here, and use your energy to heal.
Sending you prayers and healing thoughts, for you, your surgeon and your macrophages.
:flwrysmile:
 
Marianne, I'm so sorry to hear that you have to go through yet another surgery, however it sounds like your new surgeon is on top of things, and he will be a great help to you.

I so wish you the best tomorrow, and I'm happy that your other son will be there for you.

I agree with the others, heal first sue later if you so wish to do so! Please try and remember to take some pictures for your file, if you do decide to sue. Pictures speak a thousand words!

(((HUGS))) my friend!
 
Have any of you had this procedure where they scoop the bone marrow and bone out that has the infection?
Not personally but I have scrubbed for heaps! (years ago, of course!) It's called a debridement and curettage and is the standard method of dealing with infected bone. They make a hole in the cortex, removing any affected bone they see - and it's pretty obvious when they get down to it - then go into the cavity and do likewise there. Any cancellous bone or marrow will be pretty obvious and it all needs to be removed so that healing can start again. When that was all done we would empty one or two bottles of antibiotic powder into the cavity but that was back in the 1970s so I'm thinking they will probably put in Gentamycin beads nowadays which have to be removed after a period of time but are little more than having a pack removed from a wound. The remarkable thing about the many cases I saw way back when was how well they resolved and healed! Never ceased to amaze me, like the bone was just busting to get going repairing the damage.

[Bonesmart.org] Brownie's Good, Bad, & Uglies
 
Vent away Marianne, you need to let your frustrations out.
Good luck with your surgery, hopefully it will get you firmly back onto the recovery path.
Sending a hug and a hand to hold your way,
Toothfairy x :console2: :flwrysmile:
 
Josephine is correct...when Al had his bone infection he had the debridement and gentomycin beads packed into the opened area. So we have some direct and very positive and encouraging experience with this process Marianne. You've got my #...please call anytime if I can be of help!
Hugs,
Harplayer
(Lee)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
 
Good luck tomorrow, hon!!! I'll be thinking of you and waiting to hear from you once you're able to post. Tell your doc all the BoneSmarties will be watching over his shoulder and he better take good care of you!!!
 
Marianne,

I am praying for you, and I will be thinking of you tomorrow. Take care and post again when you can! We will be waiting to hear from you! :friends:
 
As I post this I know you will see this as you are on the repair. I am thinking good healing thoughts for you.... I am sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. You did not need or deserve this.
I think you have a right to be furious at the Dr.... talking about it will help you get passed the anger you feel. Venting can be good for you.
Please take care of yourself. :console2:
 
Brownie...
Sending you love and healing hugs today. When you feel up to it, please let us know how you are doing...love you Marianne,
Lee (harplayer)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
 
Thank you all! skigirl that is so neat about Charlie. He sounds like a sweet dog and I'm so sorry you lost him.
This am I woke to tibia pain that is way further up my tibia. I hope this is just referred pain from my knee. I am so worried about it all. I will tell Dr. before the surgery. My son is still asleep but leaves soon. I am a little freaked about him leaving. He is defensive about Dr. Reff and doesn't want to hear anymore about my anger at Reff and doesn't think I should sue him. He says that people don't want to hear my snide comments about Reff. Frankly my friends make snide comments about Reff and I like it. I am gradually working out my anger by discussing it. How long has it been since I found out I had osteo? 2 weeks! That is not enough time to get over this. Day and day then week after week I told Reff something was wrong and he ignored me, stuck his head in the sand thinking it was my "hypersensitivity to pinholes". What a donkey donut. I admit, I hate him. I will get over this when the pain stops! I don't sit around hating him all day but when it comes up how I got in this mess....my disgust with him comes out. No one but my son has complained about me mentioning it! But in general the last couple days have been good. I am going to miss him.
My youngest son gets in at 2:30 today from San Francisco. It was bad timing for him but he came. He will take me to the hospital and pick me up. I am probably going to have alot of pain after this. Have any of you had this procedure where they scoop the bone marrow and bone out that has the infection? My area was originally 9 cm about 4 inches but my swelling is more diffuse now and I worry there is alot more infection since the MRI but there was a decrease in pain so I just don't know. Now this am with tibial pain higher up I am so worried.
I can't thank you enough for listening and sending your loving messages.

Brownie,

I am just getting caught up with your saga, but wanted to let you know I had multiple surgeries to aid in getting my osteomyelitis in my femur & patella under control. What was most successful for me was removing the necrotic bone & putting antibiotic beads into the bone marrow area & into my knee joint. They dissolved gradually over 4 weeks & I did a three month course of IV antibiotics via PICC line. The pain was manageable due to the block catheter that they left in for 5 days (much longer than normal).

It's ok to vent & cry & even completely lose it. I've been there, and still have my days where dealing with complications is way more than I think I can handle. That's when I know two things help me, laughing with friends & family, and educating myself & being a genuine part of the medical team treating me.

We are all here for you & you will make it beyond all of this STRONGER, more empathetic & ready to take on the world!

xoxo,

Min
 
Not personally but I have scrubbed for heaps! (years ago, of course!) It's called a debridement and curettage and is the standard method of dealing with infected bone. They make a hole in the cortex, removing any affected bone they see - and it's pretty obvious when they get down to it - then go into the cavity and do likewise there. Any cancellous bone or marrow will be pretty obvious and it all needs to be removed so that healing can start again. When that was all done we would empty one or two bottles of antibiotic powder into the cavity but that was back in the 1970s so I'm thinking they will probably put in Gentamycin beads nowadays which have to be removed after a period of time but are little more than having a pack removed from a wound. The remarkable thing about the many cases I saw way back when was how well they resolved and healed! Never ceased to amaze me, like the bone was just busting to get going repairing the damage.

[Bonesmart.org] Brownie's Good, Bad, & Uglies

According to my surgeons at the Mayo clinic, they no longer use the beads that have to be removed. Just the ones that dissolve over a course of time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom