TKR Brownie's Good, Bad, & Uglies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didnt wear clothes till the day I came home Marianne even tho on the list from the hopital they did tell us to bring in some comfortable clothes. Hadnt got the energy or inclination to get dressed. It was enough effort to go from bed to loo. The stupidest thing i did was buy three lovely pairs of PJs and then realised they wouldnt go over a bandaged leg so had to go out and buy night shirts. Now you think the hospital would have advised you on that tit bit.
 
Marianne, I put on yoga pants and a tee shirt and a sweater as soon as I got back to my room from the operating room. Also, no catheter---mainly because I wanted to get right up and did not want anything to hinder me.

I wore my own clothing every day---but I am just like that---one of the nurses came in and said, "My, my you are certainly independent, aren't you?" But, I did not have a femoral block and with my pain buster ball, I was not in pain. Had a GA, so was able to get up immediately--no numb legs.

I got up and went to the bathroom and changed my clothing--I did skip the bra!!! Kelly
 
Thanks! I think I will take my yogas and some shorts too. Okay forget the bra. I will see how I feel. I can't believe some of you didn't have a catheter! Did you have one during the surgery just in case?
Well I just got home from my Dad's. My daughter and her boyfriend were visiting for father's day and they were discussing my care, my daughter works in LA, lives in LB and my Dad is 95, he still drives and plays golf but this is going to tire him out. He's only 2 miles from me but I feel like this is going to cause him alot of stress. And frankly I feel like a real burden...just listening to them, my daughter asking her boyfriend to come over and help me with dinners. She would do the nights and my Dad take care of the day. I have a close friend who will also help out. But they were kind of planning it out. When I left I wanted to cry then I got thinking this is ridiculous. I should just stay in a rehab place for a few days so when I come home I am more able to take care of myself and will be through that first week that's the roughest. I think I would be more comfortable in my own home but I also felt like I needed someone to stay the night with me for a couple nights just in case. Okay now asking you guys to weigh in again. I can always go to a rehab and just check out if I don't care for it. Going to read through my literature and see if my Dr has a rehab place he specifically uses. Might be better for me too. I can ring my bell, but I wonder if they have PT on the weekends. My boys came to help me with the first knee and they weren't any help, just made things crazy for me. Then my daughter got there and they shaped up but I remember my DAd and I thinking I would have been better off it was just him and me. Anyway let me know your experiences with this...Home vs rehab
Thanks!
 
Yup forget the bra! Just think of it this way, when you don't wear a bra, it pulls all the wrinkles out of your face and makes you look years younger! (at least that's what I tell my kids).
With both knees, I went to a rehab facility. The first knee, I really knew I had no choice because there was no way hubby could take care of me since I still couldn't stand. I stayed two and a half weeks, and cried every day. With the second knee, I went because I was concerned for the same reason. I stayed a week, but probably could have gone home in three days. The rehab place I went to didn't have PT in the weekend, but then it was in a very small town. I didn't miss the PT, just did ankle pumps, heel slides, walked a little, and complained because their TV shows were different than mine.
It is a matter of choice as to how you feel more comfortable.
 
Morgaine I love your bra philosophy!!!!
Well I am going to play it by ear. Maybe surgery without quads being cut is going to be less painful and I will be better off that last time. I hope!
So today I had to take the oxycontin, celebrex, Reglan and Zofran. I didn't notice anything with the oxycontin 10mg. I thought it would knock me for a loop, but nothing like that but my pain was sure alot better today!
One more shower then putting fresh sheets on bed. Another shower and wash hair in the morning and then I am off to the hospital at 830am, have to be checked in by 930am, go straight to Same Day Surgery since I am already registered. My little dog looks sad. She sees my over night bag being filled.
Can't believe how little anxiety I have today. I was a basket case last time.
Thank you all for all your wonderful loving help! I will see you on the Other Side!
 
Goodness Marianne, I am away for a little while to come back and see you are having your left knee done today :shocked:

Thinking of you, not knowing at this time if you are waiting or having/had it done. So look forward to your first post-op positive post. All the very best to you :flwrysmile:
 
Marianne, prayers going up for you. You are probably already checked in and got them fancy no slip tready socks on by now!
 
Good luck Marianne, I hope all goes well with surgery two.
Looking forward to your posts,
Toothfairy x :flwrysmile:
 
Marianne,
Good luck with number 2. At least you know the rules this time and I am sure it will be much easier the second time around. Prayers and thoughts coming your way for a big success.
 
GOOD LUCK MARIANNE. WILL BE WAITING TO HEAR YOUR POSTS ON THE OTHER SIDE. HUGS X
 
A little late now but I wore my favorite t shirt and Baggie Lounge pants the next two days. With my fav sweatshirt.
 
Hola I made it. My girlfriend left at 11. I was so goofy. Dr had me in surgery from 11:00 until 2:05 pm. Drain this time. Just measures 50 cc. From ît and was emptied be at 4 pm too. Knee in imobilver stii. Wou get out and doo some heheh heel slides. Pain is not excruciating.
Pretty much you have to ask for every thing. None of the nurses anticipates anything.
Private room! Wifi not many channels. Old beds that don't work properly. IV beeping just hit call bell 1220
But friendly want to ask doc about surgery length
Feel like have to use restroom but have Catherine. Promise out at 530!
 
So pleased its all over for you. No more surgery. Must feel good. Now you just rest and more rest. I know you will keep those nurses on their toes. Be good !!!!!!! Hugs x x
 
I am so glad that you are doing well---yes, keep the nurses moving. If you have to ask for everything, then just do it ask, ask, ask.
 
Marianne,
Happy to hear you have faired well with your surgery. You sounds pretty upbeat for just out of surgery. If you need anything just keep on those nurses, it's their job. Hope things keep going well for you.
 
Spoke with Marianne today! :friends: (My daughter was having back surgery, so a visit was not in the cards). Some pain and discomfort, obviously. :cry: But she sounded in good spirits. Interestingly, her doc keeps her knee/leg in a splint for the first 3 days. Tough to walk around that way but he seems interested in getting full extension and, as she said he said, the bending will come any time. Has anyone else had that experience? Wish I had been able to go down and take photos to share with y'all, but life happens. We're going to see each other later!! Marianne decided to forego a rehab facility and is planning on heading home Thursday! :puppysmooze: [No doubt how her dog feels!]

Keep the good wishes coming. We all know how valuable they were in our respective recoveries! :martini:
 
Thanks for the update. Ive never heard of a splint being used before. Must make trying to walk with walker more difficult. Send Marianne all our best wishes. And I hope your daughter is in recovery too. NightQuilter
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom