TKR Brownie's Good, Bad, & Uglies

Status
Not open for further replies.
HMMmmmm well I have different doc so I guess yes. BUt NO it would not be a new chart would it!!
Okay keeping the good bad and uglies!
 
Marianne!!! I found your thread again - I had lost track of you. :gaah: Last night I was not able to sleep at all (totally unrelated to knees, thank goodness) and started thinking of you - realizing with school ending you were likely making decisions re surgery right away. :scare: Tonight's plan was to search all over Bonesmart to find you and catch up. Fortunately, it didn't take long - lol. :rotfl:

So glad ex-H directed you to a doc who turned out so perfect - a long and rocky search from K & W! Thank goodness we are in a market with so many really good docs. :martini: Query - I know there is a Providence Little Company of Mary in San Pedro - is there also one in Torrance or will you be at the San Pedro one?? A dear friend is one of their chief nurses at San Pedro, which is also why I ask. I'll sic her on your case to be sure you get top care!! - not sure if she does ortho, but does wield authority there. And Redondo is about halfway btw you and me!! hint hint. :yes!:

So glad things are finally turning well for you - and that i found you before your CURE. :yay:
 
I bet you're about ready to get 'er done. I'm glad you found someone you like. I hope your daughter makes out okay with the Hep A thing. Crazy, huh? I guess that is always a risk with the food supply. I'll be checking your thread for the latest and greatest news.
 
Thinking of other ideas for the June Beams in the pre op section. t

Annnnnnnddddd? :)
I still like the idea of what to do with your hair post op.
Or decorations on your crutch/stick
Perhaps "one week left, OMG" :heehee:
Or "I can't believe I was worried about that"!
 
Lynne yes there is one in Torrance on Torrance Blvd. Too bad your friend isn't at mine! I used to work in San Pedro Hospital but no nuns back in my day!
My boys are here from out of town so have been busy and exhausted. ha! Hep A scare...infectious disease UCLA doctor said dont' take the vaccination. She took Mandys blood for a titer and said it was pretty unlikely she would come down with Hepatitis. She was also exposed to the berries. So far so good.
The hospital has wifi so I am taking my iPad. Hopefully not so much pain this time so will be able to write. No crying in the middle of the night this time!
I still have to buy an upright bike for home. Dr. insists all his patients have one, not recumbent. I see him again on Friday. SAw his PT and liked her. Then he has a PT at the hospital he sends in for his protocol. He's really big on the PT on bike. I assume start out with seat really high. The pre op nurse/class for just 3 patients told me Dr. Reff's protocols are different. Oh and he insists on the CPM machine at home for the first 2 weeks. I felt I was fine without it but I am doing whatever he says. Have to pay out of pocked around 300 but they bring it to the house and pick it up, not bad. I already have my ice machine which he wants his patients to have at home as well. Time to bring in all my stuff from garage on the weekend, the walker, potty chair and ice machine. So much fun!
I expect this recovery to be alot better than my last one. He sees his patients more often and is accessible all the time. No more trying to get through the office and then Wilbur to tell doctor if I am having a problem. Doubt that nurses are afraid of him and will call him if I need something in hospital. I am so excited a bout getting on with the rest of my life. Over did it on the weekend and was miserable Monday had to go into work after I iced myself up.
Thanks for listening!
 
Sounds like you are in good hands - finally! His protocols sound much like Penenberg's. The CPM really became quite a relief for me. And it will keep your knee much looser for your daily ride! Lol. My recumbent (bad back - doc insisted) came yesterday - no pedals!! There's always something!



Is your Mandy an Amanda? I have one too! I am so glad her blood work is coming back Hep-free!! What a relief. Something no one needs to worry about while preggers!
 
And I probably can't come see you if I don't have a last name! (Hi nurse - I am looking for Brownie!!!) lol
 
Hey Marianne! It looks like your surgery is coming right up. I'm glad you have found a better doctor. They say the second one is easier, because you and your body know what to expect. I hope that is true for you. :yay:
 
I am pretty excited. Lynne is considering visiting me in hospital!!!! Wouldn't that be hilarious to have her give you a first hand report? I will probably have my hair up in a ponytail on top of my head just like my yorky. That's how I wear it when under stress. hahaha! Oh my gosh won't this be a first for Bonesmart? Now the pressure is on...lynne!
 
Brownie, I guess it is really close now. Wishing you the best in surgery and recovery. I look forward to good reports soon.
 
Yup, no pressure at all - lol. 3 meetings and a class to teach while you are ubder the kbife and taking your first few steps, but Wed. Is clearer. All WILk go well for you Marianne!
 
Good Luck Marianne with knee number 2. We were TKR Buddies with number 1 but you beat me to it on this one. Will be eagerly waiting to read your progress reports. They will spur me on to have number 2 done or put me off forever, im sure it will be the first option. Wishing you luck and sending you hugs from the UK.
 
Good luck on Tuesday Marianne, will be thinking of you x
 
Thank you Morgaine! I just wrote a big long note after reading your thread! Pat thanks and Lynne too! Now if Lynne shows up in my room and starts taking photos I am going to deny it is me!
Also to anyone....did you wear CLOTHES in the hospital? I was told the same thing last time, to bring comfy clothes to wear for when you get up. I wore my robe last time. Did any of you actually get dressed the day after surgery? I think I will try it this time. But it seems so weird, they pull out the epidural and the catheter, leg is swollen twice it's normal size, big dressing and we hobble on our lovely walkers and then we throw on a bra and shorts...my question is WHY? Are the clothes for us or for the nurses, PT? who? Is it some psychological thing to try to make us think it's just another day? Can you imagine doing this after you had a lung operation or heart surgery? I could care less how I look when I am coming out of anesthesia. Getting up those first times were excruciating albeit rewarding. So just curious what do you all think about it? I think it's non-sense. I would rather stay in a gown (mine or theirs) and be comfy and just throw on a robe the first day post op. The next day we get dressed and go home. So just want to know what you all did. Thanks!
SURVEY SAYS: ????
 
First day I just had hospital gown till next morning I had a shower and get dressed in my own clothes. I took baggy pyjama bottoms and a t shirt fr daytime and shorts and t shirt. I didn't have a catheter to worry about tho.
 
I wore the hospital gown, one front, and when walking one backwards to cover my bottom. Once the cath came out, I wore panties with a pad (because if I sneezed, coughed, laughed, I pee on myself). When being transfered to the rehab, I wore shorts and a tshirt, which I exchanged for a hospital gown as soon as I got there. Something I always wore were the non-slip tready socks. Having learned from the first TKR, I did buy a dozen of them so I could change socks everyday (and I found them on Amazon for a dollar a pair). I still wear them around the house, love them socks. I suppose one day I will have to actually buy some shoes....although I do live in Mississippi and shoes are optional! :rotfl:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom