TKR Brownie's Good, Bad, & Uglies

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new "doc" is fabulous!!!!!! BUT I actually only got to see the young orthopedic surgeon that is filling in for him 2 days a week.But he was super and gave me alot of information. As you can imagine I love a talker. He laughed when I told him I saw Klapper. My real new orthopedic dr broke his pelvis in several places bicycling. I loved the clean office and the nice people working there. It is full of current educational material and articles. I will have an MRI on my left knee tomorrow at 4. The office gave me Dr. Reff's informational folder that goes to all TKR patients. Dr. Reff made a video with his physical therapist showing off the exercises with a real patient. There are exercises that we do on our stomachs and KNEES post op. I only had one I did on my stomach but my PT didn't show me that until I was pretty far out from surgery. Much like Dr.Spitzer he seems to very picky about how he wants things done which I think is good.
I wish I could download this DVD on here because I think it's really good. It's simple and maybe many of you already knew these exercises.
Kelly-When I limp now it's due to pain and instability on my left NON-tkr knee.
New doctor should be under an hour to get there but I made a wrong turn so maybe next time 45 min. will do it. My surgery will be at Providence Little Company of Mary in Torrance where my youngest was born. So all is good with me. I felt so at home at the office. I hope I am not happy too soon and that my bubble doesn't burst when I meet the doctor but guess I will enjoy it. A burden is off my back for now!
M
 
Yes, Brownie and this is a case in point that you do not need to "settle" for a doc who does not meet your standards---whether that is a clean, well equipped office, competent professional staff or anything else. I am happy to hear that you have met a doc who meets your needs. I thought it was horrible that the first doc cut your quads thereby causing you a lot of unnecessary (in my opinion!) pain. I applaud your attitude and can see that you have gotten the results that you wanted. K
 
Hi Kelly
Well it will sure be interesting to experience the difference between the two procedures. Both immediately post op and late symptoms as well.
 
All sounds excellent and positive, Marianne. Happy that you are happier now. Good luck with your MRI tomorrow.

Is there any way that you could explain some of these exercises on here? It would be good to know some new ones. I feel I am stuck at 105 ROM for the time being.
 
HI Kathy
My laptop DVD player is stuck but the one that I thought was especially interesting is called:
ALL FOURS You get on your bed on hands and knees. You try to bring your buttocks back towards your heels. Basically you gradually try to sit on your heels. You only do this if you already have 90 degrees of flexion.
I have to get to work pretty soon and will try to look through it again. I have been too chicken to try the above but I will tonight! I noticed in the video that the patient's bed was real soft. What do you think Kathy? Have you heard of this anyone?
 
Thanks for that, Marianne. I haven't heard of that one, but it does sound good. I'm going to try that one too tonight. Let's see how we get on with this. Will report back tomorrow :whistle:
 
It's hard! A little uncomfy on the knees even though its on the bed. I bet it just takes some getting used to. Another one I hadn't seen for the straightening is lying prone on your stomach with your legs straight and your heels flexed so your toes are on the bed. The you push your knee straighter and hold. 10 times for each of the exercises.
Another one I didn't do post op was prone again and simply bend one knee at a time. After you are used to it then you do it and take the non op foot and help move the bending op knee even more towards your bottom.
I got my MRI done and it's amazing you can now read these things yourselves on any computer. Just scrolling helps you move through the cuts the MRI makes until you find the joint space and cartilage you want to see. Will find out the real results on Tuesday afternoon. I am enjoying driving over to Redondo Beach for these appointments.
Left knee much more painful lately starting with the yard work last sunday. It was only about 20 min of bending and twisting that did it.
I hope everyone has a wonderful Mother's Day!
 
Sat all day today at a nursing conference. School nurses need the Fashion Police. I don't know where they even find clothes so outdated. My knees really bugging me. Back to limping. Not too long now! It may turn out that I need a custom implant and that will take extra time but I still feel close to recovery and can't wait to get started.
 
I notice that the nurses at the hospital also need a new set of duds. One came in wearing a Winnie the Pooh shirt that should have been thrown away six years ago. There is a lack of professionalism there. You would think that those who work in the heath related fields would be in shape.
 
Marianne, one of my physios (the best one) got me doing the one where you lay on your stomach and bend your leg towards your botty. It was really easy when she was pushing it for me. She advised me to do it pulling my leg with a belt from my dressing gown, but it kept slipping and couldn't manage it like she did. Will have to try that one again and get Ray to bend the leg.

Must admit, although I am using my exercise bike every day, I have got lax at other exercises. Probably why I have reached a plateau with my ROM. Need to start up again.
 
Kathy-I do that one where I pull my leg toward my head. I hook a yoga belt around it. If it's your right leg then you pull it from the left side of your head so that the leg crosses over a bit rather than pulling it exactly forward.
Saw my substitute dr and again and I am pretty much set for surgery on June 18 at 11am. Have other visits to do. The preop stuff with my regular dr and then I get to meet and work with the doctors PT person pre op! Also they have another video or two for me to watch in the office. My MRI results were serious so I am glad I am getting this over with. Dr. said not to count on this surgery being any less painful than the first one nor the recovery much easier. He said it's better to assume the same and be happy if it turns out it's not as bad. But I get the impression its still excruciating requiring a lot of regularly timed pain meds.
Legs kept me awake last night. Mostly the left one. I had done some fast walking chasing after a runaway at the end of the day yesterday. Next year this time I will be able to catch her...right???
I hope everyone is feeling good tonight!
 
It's good that you have a date for your left knee and soooo soon. Even if this knee is no less painful than your right, at least you know what to expect this time round and that everything that happens is a normal part of the recovery process. That's the way I would look at it. AND of course you have your buddies on here to support and comfort you, 24/7 - most important!

Hope you had a better night last night.

Oh without a doubt, next time you will catch a runaway :flwrysmile: (although I'm not sure what you are talking about, - a dog perhaps?).
 
Thanks Kathy. The runaway was a 17 year old disturbed girl. I was no match for her!
Slept better last night but sure achey during the night. My new knee isn't nearly as achey.
 
Hoping to sleep tonight. Not happy that my tkr knee hasn't been feeling well. Pain when walking, and tightness and stiffness. Kind of a klunky feeling. Maybe 7 months out there is still some healing to do. I'm getting set for surgery in left knee. The office called me with my md appt for medical clearance. They are so nice and left messages on both phones. I am much happier with the smaller dr's office set up. Still haven't met my doctor yet and not sure when he will be able to get back in his office. He broke his pelvis riding his bicycle.
Hope you girls are doing well!
 
Ooh sorry about your TKR knee. I would say at 7 months there is still healing to be done. At nearly nine and a half months (EEK is it that long REALLY?!!) I am still 'feeling' my knee. A certain amount of stiffness. No pain as such, but just know it is there, if you know what I mean :whistle:

Good to hear you are happier with your doctor, but not to hear he has broken his pelvis, ouch :sad: Is he a different one to who performed your RTKR?
 
Yes Kathy and I have not even met the new doc yet! It's hard to explain why I am so happy with him but his office runs things great. I liked his substitute dr. And he does minimal, is listed on Zimmer site. Has a preop video. I am going in Thursday for more pre op info. I will meet his physical therapist who will teach me exercises and tips. I won't get to meet him officially until the 14th, another visit. These people are sooo neat. If he is in the office on Thursday I am sure I will get to meet him. The office is 100% accessible. I won't have the same problems I've had in the past. He orders pain med that you take the day before surgery to cut down on your pain post op. And you do certain exercises a head of time so your muscles have recent memory of what to do. It will be awful if I meet him the 14 th and can't stand him but I think that is extremely unlikely!
 
My daughter is 16 weeks pregnant today. On Friday she got a robo-call from Costco letting her know she had the contaminated berries/ Hepatitis A virus. So today she goes to an infectious disease specialist to find out what to do. I think she could have safely taken the Hep A vaccine but I wanted her to have the titer done first. We have been so worried. I think it's unlikely she will come down with Hepatitis but the thought is frightening especially when pregnant.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom