Guest viewing is limited

MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and I give myself a moment after sitting up before standing, then another moment after standing to make sure I'm steady
 
You got home last Friday. When could you get out of bed by your self?

When did you first go to the bathroom by yourself? My walker does not fit in our first floor bathroom either, so I will have to move around holding on other places.
 
Last night was the first night I got up by myself. I've been using the bathroom by myself basically since last Thursday. The walker fits fine in hall bath, and I definitely used it in there until yesterday when we had to move the raised seat. I basically pushed myself up off the raised seat arms, then held onto the walker. Those first few days you're so stiff, you won't want to take any chances with falling. Will hubby be able to help you up and down, or in/out of the bathroom until you're more steady?
 
blueteckseeker.

Sounds normal. I did go to rehab. after 2 days in hospital and I had to use a walker in rehab until they give you the ok not to. On about the 3rd night I would use it and sometimes leave it in the bathroom and have to wobble back and get it.
I stood up a few times in rehab and had to sit back because of dizziness and ran a low grade fever that no one ever seemed to get concerned with.
I came out of the gate fighting like heck, I thought I was different and felt like I would be over it in 6 to 8wks. Didn't happen.
I am having a great recovery but my body is not back to normal yet. If you read my thread you will see I had a lot of support and really am paying attention to my recovery. I was going out and having lunch and dinner with friends after 4 weeks but would come home ice and elevate.
I am post op. 12 weeks today and still ice, elevate and rest.
Good Luck on your recovery. You sound really positive and it is normal to feel sad and stressed because you can't
control your body.
 
Good morning! Last night was basically a carbon copy of the night before, so I'm taking that as my norm which is just fine :). Rather than lay and toss and turn, when hubby's alarm went off I went ahead, got up, went potty, then relocated to sofa, ahhhh. Of course, as soon as he leaves to drive daughter to school, I wake up from some really delicious dosing to go potty yet again.

Go to the bathroom, brush my teeth, brush my hair, let the stool softeners do what they do best, then head back to sofa. I swear, halfway there this wave of utter exhaustion hits. I get to sofa, use my tie to lift both legs to elevate, and promptly zonked out. Woke up about a half hour later, still had tie around foot, and was still hanging on. My mini schnauzer, Stanley, was looking at me like, really mommie??!! Who knew those few little things would zap it outta a person so quickly, geesh. I'm getting some awesome biceps, hee hee. Told hubby by the time all is said and done, I'm going to have a heck of a six pack, too!
 
Great looking knees, one week postop! I'm heading in an hour for my BTKR and have really needed to read about your experience (and referee, too)!

Jacki
 
@JackiFL, good luck!!! Surgery will be over before you know it and you'll be in the land of recovery. I haven't regretted having BTKR for one moment, I'd absolutely make the same decision all over again. Post when you can, you know we are all here to help in whatever way we can :)
 
Well, moving right along here. Same today as yesterday, no big leaps forward or anything.

Big news yesterday - I SHOWERED ALL BY MYSELF!!!! Even succeeded in shaving, whoop whoop!!! Several hours later, brushed and fixed my hair a bit - way more personal care than I've done since surgery, and boy, was it exhausting. Hubby was here should I need anything, but wow, the sense of independence was fantastic.

I'm noticing a lot more strength and stability returning. For example, when getting out of bed, I can hold both feet together and use one as a guide and support for the other so I don't need my neck tie or hanging onto my pant leg at all. I can reasonably and comfortably walk around in my bathroom unassisted. I am more able to lift my legs now, far easier to actually slide them from side to side to get situated. I'm getting more flexibility in the back of my knees now, they can actually lay flat out in front of me with no tightness or be elevated without being uncomfortable. Today especially I've noticed I can maintain my normal gait when up and using the walker - I'd noticed I tended to lean heavily on it and made a point to stand up straighter.

So, lots of little improvements but they all add up to a large change since coming home less than a week ago :)
 
You are doing so well. The shower must have felt wonderful. It is so encouraging to read your progress. I can remember after other surgeries that bathing and drying my hair was exhausting. So understand. So glad to hear about your flexibility and the trick to put your feet together and give up the tie - asked my hubby for one of his ties - he has yet to give one up. haha Good point about standing up straight with your walker - I have a friend that was told to stop using her walker and go to her cane after hip surgery because she was leaning over too much - she had become too dependent on her walker and was ready for a cane.

Take care and keep up the good work, and be kind to yourself. Wow still can't get over you shaved your legs! Wow
 
Have a question: What kind of ice machine are you using for both legs? I saw the picture and it looks wonderful. Did your insurance cover it? Where did you buy it? Sorry just worried that the one they have planned for me to bring home from the hospital may be harder to operate. Need advice and help, a little worried......
 
Hi @newkneesNH! Mine is a Bregs Kodiak ice machine, it came wth the main line and one cuff (covered by insurance). I bought the extra cuff from docs office, $45, then bought the splitter off eBay for $37 I think. It's been fabulous to be able to ice both at the same time and only have to mess with one machine!! I wish I would've known about it back when I had my other knee surgeries done.

GUESS WHAT I CAN DO?? I can actually fully lower my legs, independently, down from the sofa AND lift each one to stretch them out on the sofa again!!!! This evening I've also spent some time just sitting in the sofa letting everything hang, feels great. And, not to get too personal, but my position on raised toilet is almost back to normal instead of perched on the edge. Wow, feels great. I can sure see how people do too much without realizing it :)
 
You are doing fabulous!!! You also have a great attitude and I think that is so important. I look forward to your positive posts. Truly inspirational and amazing for a btkr.
 
Good morning, everyone :spin:Well, today is shower day but that'll be later this afternoon. Mornings tend to be the most difficult for me (stiffness and sleepy), so I concentrate on icing and elevating, taking a nice nap. Once I've done that for a couple hours, I kind of get my wits about me and catch a second wind. So, early afternoon tends to be my most active and productive time.

Tomorrow is my first in-home PT and I'm actually looking forward to it. I'm really curious what all they'll have me do (or at least, try doing). Hubby will be out most of this afternoon on business appointments, so a girlfriend is coming over to chat and have dinner later. I love her company, she's always so bubbly so it'll be a very enjoyable visit :friends: My sister was supposed to come down yesterday, but is ill with what sounds like the flu. I told her, no offense, but don't be bringing that **** down here - just wait until you're better before visiting. I'm starting to feel a little bit of cabin fever sinking in so a little company here and there will help a lot.
 
So wonderful to read your updates! Hope the shower this afternoon goes well.
I have another question about your Ice Machine set up. When you went online and bought the splitter on Ebay for $37 what did you look for or ask for? I am in the process right now of having my doctor write the order for the Bregs Kodiak ice machine with 2 cuffs. I just don't know about how to get the splitter? or what to call it on Ebay by name or company? thanks for your help so much!
 
Good morning! Your doc may be able to order the splitter, I checked back through my receipts and got it from www.braceshop.com (if you go to the website, you can get an additional $10 off). Its called a Breg Kodiak Y Adapter Accessory SKU# 10699. The items on ebay originate from this same website, so you'd probably actually get a better deal (if you need to purchase yourself) going direct.

I thought it weird my doc didn't have one since I was having bilateral, and that I had to purchase the second cuff since the unit and first cuff were covered no problem.
 
Thank you so much!!!! I am on phone now with doctor's office. My OS said yes, he will write the prescription for it to cover it. They are calling around to find a local medical supply place that has one. Trying to get 2 cuffs too. Not sure about the splitter, but now I will give them your info about it. Thanks so much for helping me out and so timely too!!!
 
hee hee, you caught me smack in the middle of "after shower/before nap time" :snork: Can't vouch for my speediness here in a few minutes :loll:
 
@Bluetechseeker Wow you seem to be doing great. I am proud of you myself. You are getting around by leaps and bounds. You know you need to do what you need to do. Keep up the good work!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom