MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will see how you improve once you are home and in your own environment! :egypdance:So happy for you. Continue to do well. :dancy:
 
I am home!! The trip wasn't too difficult, about a half hour. Hubby brought a pillow so I rested my feet on that and reclined the front seat. Pillow acted as a shock absorber :). He came in first, put dogs out. After I was in and settled, pooches were brought in one at a time (a chocolate lab, mini schnauzer, and fuzzy terrier same size). They were really cautious of all everything and settled down really quickly.

My girlfriend stopped in for a visit, brought some puzzle books, had a quick coffee. Home healthcare is scheduled for tomorrow, not sure what time yet.

I'm actually kicked back on my sofa, legs properly elevated (hospital didn't believe in elevating), and icing. Now settling in for a much needed and anticipated nap!! Hubby keeps commenting how well I'm moving when I'm up, I had to use potty before settling in.

Ahhhh, home feels wonderful!
 
Hi Blue - just read your note that you are home now. I am so happy for you. How are you doing? Sleep will be better hopefully without nurses waking you up? And just the peace of home will be nice for you. Let me know how your trip home went and entry to your house. I have stairs to contend with when the time comes so not sure yet what will happen. You are incredible to be home on Friday after your BTKR on Monday. How is it walking around now? And what about your appetite? Don't want to burden you with questions, just so happy you are home and when you feel up to it, let me know how everything is going. Sleep well and be gentle with yourself.
 
Home sweet home, so glad you had an uneventful trip home from the hospital. Isn't it just something how your dogs just know, and stay calm. Keep up the resting, icing and elevating so you don't run into any problems with swelling and pain.
 
@newkneesNH, I have zero appetite. I try having something nutritious several times during the day and drinking plenty of water, but have very little capacity. Sleep is very unpredictable, two nights ago I slept wonderfully, last night not at all. But, I'm trying to just roll with it. I haven't been able to nap since getting home, too keyed up I guess.

Hi, Bonnie! Thank you, I'm taking one day at a time with recovery. I have A LOT of swelling my legs look like tree trunks. Just keeping them iced and elevated since coming home has found my ankle and foot bones again, woo hoo!! Course, that means more trips to the potty flushing it all out but that's perfectly fine by me.

Okay, catching up on some TV with hubby and having a little popcorn. I set phone alarms for my pain med so I won't delay or miss a dose.
 
Bluetechseeker,
Glad to see you are doing well. Be patient and relax during your recovery-read, watch tv, do pt exercises. It sounds like you have alot of support during your recovery.

newkneesNH, I saw where you wanted me to contact you. Go to my thread and I will tell you my experience with BTKR, I tried to find your thread but i couldn't find it. I did have a different experience that some on this site but I am doing well.
 
Great to hear you're home. It sounds like you're developing a good system for yourself.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey
. Icing, elevating, adding a little humor with my cow socks - tomorrow, pink piggies :)

Rough day for nausea, hubby went to drugstore and got medicine for me. Seems to be working really well. Had called home nurse and asked her first, she won't be here for a couple hours yet.

Took a "quick" shower, the hot water was heaven. I feel so sorry with all hubby is doing, I know he's exhausted already. Slept in bed last night, better than I thought I would. Couldn't stay elevated all night though, removed pillows an hour or so before getting up, so was very stiff on first trip to potty. REALLY impressed with how much swelling has went down, still no bruising. Aqua bandages come off on Monday, I'm anxious to see the OS's handiwork. Will try eating a little something in an hour or so, maybe soup would be good, I dunno...
 
Hi Blue - Love your cow socks! so cute. Sorry you have been nausea, is that from the pain meds you think? Your hubby is taking such good care of you - so kind. Glad you had a shower and it was heaven. Do you have to sleep with your legs elevated all night? Is that the correct thing to do? I wondered about position for sleep - on your back with legs elevated all the time I expect? Glad to hear your swelling has gone done - the elevation and intake of water must be helping that process. How did your home visits go today - hope they were gentle today. Want to tell you again tonight how wonderful I think you are doing. Your advice is helping me prepare and you idea to set your cell phone alarm for meds is great - I will do that too. I can't thank you enough for sharing what is happening to you - I am so thankful. It is all still ahead of me. We are getting a bedroom all set up this weekend in our downstairs. I am preparing my bag for the hospital and remembering your suggestions.
I hope you sleep better tonight and know you are being thought about. Kudos to your hubby too! Take care.
 
@newkneesNH, how are you this evening? Yes, your time is coming right around the corner, eh? I found the silly socks online, two pair for $9.99. The smiles they give me are totally worth it, hee hee. I normally sleep flat on my back, legs kicked out - having them elevated is great but is just too much after a few hours on the back of my knees.

Tonight hubby brought a Tray O' Spaghetti in - individual little bowls with spaghetti, shredded
Cheese, sauce, and sausages w onions. (Sausage was too spicy for me, whew!). He made my little serving just how I wanted and we shared supper while he enjoyed football for awhile. I keep telling him I appreciate all that he's doing, and he's doing great taking care of me. We agreed though, tomorrow morning he sticks to his normal routine of cinnamon bread peanut butter toast with coffee before he tries doing anything for me, give him a sense of familiarity to start his day at least.

We've been using an old tie looped under my feet to help lift and hold them up - it's just too much for him to try doing while arranging elevation pillows or CPM machine! It's been working really well.

Home nurse came and did their initial intake this afternoon. Home PT is scheduled for next Friday, that gives time to settle in, recoup, heal a bit. My aqua bandages come off Monday, I can hardly wait!
 
Hi Blue, Tried to write you from my phone but it did not deliver so trying again from computer. Curious about your sleep positions - after you moved the pillows away from the back of your knees, what other sleep positions work? Know I will have to get use to sleeping on my back but wonder at what point can you ever be on your side? With pillow between legs? Heard that worked for some. Another question I have is about your CPM machine - did you have that at the hospital and take it home with you - how often do you use it? I know my doctor use to have patients wake up from surgery using it, but he doesn't do it anymore. Just wondered how you like it and how long each day you use it?
Thanks for the old tie idea under you feet to help hubby lifting. Great idea!
Because I live up North where it is cold - I will be dealing with bed covers ugh over my legs - somehow I don't think I will want covers with all the pillows and icing and all this stuff in the bed. Florida would be better lol.

You are so good to your hubby to help him do something for his normal routine for himself. Caretakers need to be taken care of too. I know this from being a caretaker of other people, that you need time for yourself too. You are very wise and kind. Your husband will be energized by giving to himself.

Glad you could eat some dinner tonight too. Were the meds making you feel sick?

So glad to hear you had a shower. Warm water does feel like heaven. Know you are excited to get your bandages off. I take it they put on new ones, will they be different?
Sorry so many questions. I have been learning so much from you and you are so kind to share your recovery! How did you post the photos?

Sleep well my friend. I will be thinking of you. Be kind to yourself.
 
Well, had a decent night last night. Slept well until 0230 hrs pain meds, then pretty restless. It really is difficult to find The Spot, Geesh. Was able to be just a tad on my side with a pillow supporting legs, but finally just got up around 0600 hrs and relocated to living room sofa. Got situated there and zonked out for a couple more hours.

I've went from 35 to 70 degrees on right knee CPM since last Wednesday. The knee feels like I should easily pick up a good 10 - 15 degrees more before PT next Friday. The left is about the same measurements, just tends to feel stiffer. This really blows my mind the lack of what would typically be termed "pain". A lot of muscle soreness and joint stiffness, but I'd never describe it as pain. THATS what I'd really braced myself for.

I will definitely following the Activity Guidelines, icing, elevating, resting. Taking meds by the clock is working really, really well, too. If I find I'm feeling soreness, it's a bit of breakthrough pain the last hour or so of prescription med. I take my Tylenol then, everything levels out, and it's perfectly fine.

@newkneesNH, my first night home the bed covers drove me insane - having my legs elevated made the weight of them hang right off my big toes. We've been kind of bunching the comforter up on the end of the bed since, so there's no weight or pressure and it's worked perfectly :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey
my recuperation buddy, Ramone. I adore this little guy, adopted him from SPCA two years ago. We have so totally bonded, he's never apart from me and now positions himself so he can literally keep his eye on me all the time. When I get up, he follows me to the bathroom, then runs and gets his drink. By the time I'm settling back in, he's found his perch again. The afternoon I was discharged, he was intent his spot was laying across my chest - um, no, that didn't work at all!

I'm using CPM on left stiff knee - it's actually feeling wonderful, I've increased from 55 to 65 with the goal of 70 today. It feels so much easier getting up and walking around!! I've done one little extended stroke through the house and may do another later, I don't want to push too much. Mobility feels fantastic!!
 
Good Afternoon Bluetechseeker - thank you for your message. Glad you had a better night sleep and thanks for sharing what positions work etc. Seems many get up in the night and moved to better positions.

I am interested in hearing about your use of the BPM machine. Did you use it in the hospital too? How were you able to bring it home with you?

We are setting up my new downstairs bedroom today, so will remember to make bed covers that make moving and elevating legs easier, and keeping me warm at same time -still have a cold winter up here.

Take care - and thank you for all the helpful ideas.
 
oops meant to say CPM machine haha. My doctor use to use one after surgery but doesn't anymore. Not sure I will have that at home and see how much it is helping you. Makes me wonder.
Also my husband was born in Orlando and all is family is still there. I went to college in Florida as well, met him after that and then later we moved up North. Miss Florida all the time, especially Sanibel Island my favorite beach.

Hope the rest of your day goes well. Congratulations on all your walking around and managing pain, etc. You are doing such a great job in your recovery!
 
@newkneesNH, how are you today? I used two CPM machines in the hospital, was issued one for home until the 27th. In hospital, doc didn't want it used from 11pm to 6am but I was on them all other times except when doing PT or if they had me in the recliner chair. For me, that hard recliner just hurt after an hour or so, I just couldn't take it on the back of my knees. CPM at home, I alternate every couple hours, keeping other leg elevated. I use icing cuff constantly on both, it feels sooooo good!!
 
From what I've gathered, use of the CPM is as individual as your doctor. Some use it, some don't. For me, the gentle motion feels really good - it certainly doesn't put any stress through the knee. I can adjust the amount of bend at any time too so there's never any discomfort.

I've lived in Orlando for about ten years now, in Atlanta GA for 7 years prior, but most of my life was in Michigan and Maryland. I definitely do not miss the cold, snow, and ice!! My hubby has a family home we vacation at in Connecticut, set in the mountains next to a river - rustic and beautiful. We actually tossed around recuperating there, but logistics totally eliminated the possibility.
 
Sounds like your hubby is doing a great job with the ice machine! My PT said to freeze water in a few yogurt or sour cream plastic containers and keep in freezer. Then they will be added to thermos that holds the water and keeps it cold. Have you tried that?
 
Our unit says specifically not to use block ice, and the lid has like a post that drops down through the center. So far, cubed ice is working fine, our freezer basically replaces it as it's used. Hubby did buy a bag the first night because he wasn't sure how it'd all work out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom