MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
And recovery continues...

I had issues with my pain meds yesterday. Didn't feel like the oral ones were working at all. Doc increased dose, so far today it seems better. Just had PT, she's very gentle, but wow I'm so stiff and sore (pretty normal huh). Looks like I will be discharged on Friday, unless my fever kicks back up (had to go for chest X-rays this morning). Okay gonna rest some more


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Yep, pretty normal. Hope everything checks out ok and you can go home friday.
 
Blue....how about adding a signature to your profile to tell us the date of your surgery. It helps so much to have that with each of your posts! Mouse hover over your username and you'll see the signature link in the drop down menu.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey
had to get dopplers on each leg, see? No bruising yet
 
@Jaimie, once I'm on my laptop I will be able to update signature -darn it, I thought I had everything done.

I keep running a fever, they're trying to figure where it's coming from - they just did an EKG, too. So far, I've had no surprises, I knew this would be challenging, but we are moving forward.

Yesterday, I basically threw PT out of my room. They keep trying to force everything and were flat out hurting me. I told them I wasn't bending because the joint was swollen, and I'm allergic to the NSAIDS so I just need to ice and elevate. She starts talking about the knees locking up and loosing that window to gain ROM. I flat out told her bull malarkey, I was done. Nurse came in shortly afterwards saying I needed to push through the pain, and I told her the same and that I'm not laying here and letting someone hurt me.

I've been measuring 63 on left, 70 on right, and using CPM set at 55. Left is definitely the tighter of the two - weird cause right was in worse condition prior to surgery. I know ROM will come, they just need to back off!!
 
Good for you for being in charge.

I hope they figure out your fever so you can head for home. It takes so much energy in the hospital to stand up for yourself. You'll do better at home.
 
As long as you're doing some motion and trying that's all you can do. Grrr. Hope the fever resolves soon.
 
Hang in there--you might be having a whopping great inflammation that's not related to an actual infection, but obviously you have to be safe rather than sorry.
 
Nice looking knees there! I'm so happy you stood up to those folks. God bless them, I know they think they have the answer with all that pushing, but they don't! Just be sure you are doing ankle pumps and some gentle bending and stretching throughout the day and night. That is adequate to keep things moving. There is absolutely NO NEED to hurt or push through any pain. You can have swelling even if you don't see it because the knee compartment itself is so compact. It doesn't take much to impact your ROM.

Hang in there!!! You'll be home soon. If you have home therapy, you may have to go through this again until you find a person who understands joint replacements and the gentle approach. Those folks are out there, so don't get discouraged.

Be sure you discuss all this with your surgeon when you see him next. He needs the feedback.
 
Hi Bluetechseeker, you just had your surgery done. I applaud you for having booth of them done at the same time. Amazing, why are they rushing you and with both knees being done. Is there anything else they can give you for pain?
 
@chestnc, the other narcotic would be Demerol - so far I'm liking the dilaudid 8mg. The original oral dose was 2mg which did nothing, and I don't feel all spacey on it like with Demerol. I can't take any NSAIDS for the swelling, though.

A milestone today, actually had a BM!! And, getting discharged tomorrow morning after PT. The PT gal that was here today was keenly interested in this forum and said she was going to look at it tonight YAY!!

The only thing I can think of as far as getting pushed so hard - everyone has said they just don't see a bilateral replacement that often. One nurse even asked WTH was I thinking (great support there). And, they struggle with the CPM and icing machines, like they just don't know how to set up or remove me. Last night they didn't strap the ice cuff on because they wanted me to be comfortable - um yeah, NOT having swelling makes me real comfortable, use the straps! Geesh!

Ok, enough belly aching, sorry!!! I'm just hanging in a recliner with my feet up watching TV, and healing :)
 
Hi Blue! I have been reading every word of your recovery. I am so proud of you and how you are handling the staff and Pt. Bonesmart keeps telling us to stand up to the PT that pushes you into more pain and I am glad to see you did that and how you are being handled now. I hope your swelling will reduce a bit for you so that the movement won't be as hard. I am having BTKR on January 23. I have been working hard to exercise and strengthen my legs to prepare. I am so happy you are going home tomorrow. Just being home will be better and the PT who visited me yesterday for a home inspection prior to surgery said when patients come home they automatically start moving more because they are home and don't realize how much more they are getting around for themselves. I will continue to send you positive vibes. I check every day for word from you to see how you are. Keep up the good work, rest, ice and elevate and you will be moving more soon - my gosh its only been 4 days! Your are doing an amazing job. Sleep well tonight. I will be thinking of your tomorrow! (PS. I use to live in Florida for many years, now in cold NH, will be coming home from surgery in snow but to a warm house and loving husband).
 
Congratulations Blue! You sound terrific and I wish you all the best in your recovery. I am looking forward to reading about your progress. You will be home before you know it!
 
Welcome to the "other side"!! From one BTKR alumnus to another, i congratulate you---and in due time I will teach you the "BTKR secret handshake"!

You are doing great!! I know, that after my BTKR, I was in no shape to type---you are doing wonderfully!
 
I can't take any NSAIDS for the swelling, though.
This is really okay, Blue. NSAIDs are not really all that effective for the swelling you're having after surgery and some medical studies even indicate they hinder healing in the early weeks after surgery. The ice, elevation and pain meds along with plenty of rest are your best bets to reduce swelling.
 
@newkneesNH, thank you for you kind words and encouragement!! I came into this recovery knowing it'd be challenging, no disappointment there!! The first few days you'll be figuring how you need to maneuver to do what you need to do. The pain really hasn't been anywhere near what I braced myself for, either. You should do fabulous! My hubby is so supportive and helpful, I have zero concerns for going home instead to a rehab. Our largest hurdle is keeping our dogs away from me - no problem, that's why there are pet gates, right??

Thank you everyone for your support, it sure helps!! Referee, I can't hardly WAIT to learn the handshake, it should be a doozy, hee hee!

Ok, time to relocate from chair to potty then bed :)
 
You will continue to feel better each day. My knees were really swollen bad for at least two and a half weeks. After a week I kept having the nurses check them each night, I was getting nervous and they re-assured me this was normal. It then seemed they went down over night. They will get swollen a little when I walk too much on them.
I'm excited I will be spending about a week in a half in florida the end of the month and I'm hoping it will be warm.
I live in Northeast Pa and it has been cold.
It will be nice to get home and continue getting better!
 
@Bluetechseeker, I am glad you have some good meds to keep you moving. Sounds like at least you know what you should be doing and how things run even if the rehab doesn't. Hope you are feeling better real soon and home in your own bed will make a big difference. Good job on the BM. Hey those things are a big accomplishment at this point. The dogs will be curious so they will have to be watched around you. You definitely don't want them underfoot by accident. I have cats and the walker scared them. They were so glad to see me home though I was only MIA for 4 days. The pets are smart, they know something is different. Good luck and look forward to updates. I guess PT will be coming to the home. once you are headed that way...
 
Yay, it's official, they've started to process my discharge, I should be home around lunchtime. Home nursing and PT are scheduled for their initial consults tomorrow. Boy, it'll be great being back home!!
 
Home is best. My dogs were quite wary of the walker and havent yet done worse than tail-whap me once--they seemed to know it was not a good time to jump up. They were also perfectly fine when my husband came home from his heart surgery, and they were still pups then and full of irrational exuberance. Dogs are great nurses, I dont think you'll have to keep them away from you for more than a minute to let them calm down and process that you are really home. Plus they wil love having you there 24/7.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom