Guest viewing is limited

MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've gathered, use of the CPM is as individual as your doctor. Some use it, some don't.
I asked my OS about this prior to my surgery---he said that he did not use one as he did not believe that they helped out significantly.

My father, on the other hand, had them twice for both of his TKR's. He hated being strapped into it.
 
@referee54, I really hated the CPM machine following my other surgeries, but it's almost soothing to me right now. I start a little lower than where I ended the last session then slowly increment up just to discomfort. It feels like it helps work some of the stiffness out at least :)
 
Good morning, everyone. Had another pretty decent night. Went to bed at eleven, up at two thirty for meds, then four thirty to potty (no help needed). Hubby had to get up at five thirty to take my stepdaughter to school. My next pain med is due at six thirty and it seems my very restless time are those two hours before that dose of medication. Squiggle, tweak, move around just a tad - it's irritating to say the least. Got up at six, came out to couch, and promptly dozed off, eesh. Knees feel very stiff, been icing and elevating, using a lower range on CPM (maybe pushed too much yesterday??)

Waiting on home health, bandages come off today :)

A concern they've had is I tend to spike a low grade fever, especially in the evening. Last night it was 99.8, temp stays pretty normal during the day, this morning it was 98.2. What causes the spike in the evening?? They have me using a spirometer through the day, it's supposed to help. I thought it was for helping clear your lungs after GA??
 
I am not absolutely certain (my postop nursing experience being but a dim memory) but I'll speculate that any prolonged period of relative inactivity after any surgery, GA or not, would make deep breating advisable to keep those lungs clear. You might be spiking a temp, such as it is (typically any "fever" under 101 isnt even worth medicating, but if you are taking any tylenol or NSAID that will keep your temp lower) because of your body's natural response to the trauma of surgery--you've got some inflammation going on there, you know.

Typically everybody's temp is highest in late afternoon and lowest in the early morning hours.
 
Thanks, @jeano. I told them in the hospital the same, but they basically tuned me out. When temp was taken last night, hubby started getting anxious wondering if we needed to go to ER (ok hubby, relax, breathe!). I've been using the spirometer as directed, but the way they were explaining it didn't make sense (oh, temps up? Here, use this).

<sigh...> just had my first good cry, just outta nowhere. Hubby thought he did or didn't do something, told him no, this is just cause of all the dope I'm on. Yeah, I'll discuss with nurse when she arrives this afternoon.

Stellar day so far, eh?? <sniff, sniff>
 
[Bonesmart.org] Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey


One week post op, I'm really pleased! Bandages just removed
 
Wow, your knees look great! I still can't believe the nurses said anything about bilateral...were you at ORMC? It can't be the first time they tended to a bilateral replacement patient. It is the route I plan to go as well, both knees hurt so who wouldn't want to just get it done with one major operation? I am so happy for you that your recovery seems to be moving right along and selfishly I am relieved to hear you haven't experienced great pain like you were anticipating. Oh yes, I love your cute socks. This Spring you will be like a new woman, how exciting. We r supposed to go to Epcot thus weekend and I am nervous about all that walking though my husband assures me we will stop as I need to. No biggy if it was just he and I but we are going with his Aunt and Uncle, she is a marathon runner but they know my situation. I love Florida too. Grew up in Missouri, oh the winters!
 
@Dord6712, thank you!! I was actually at Dr. P hospital, they're part of ORMC. The nurses just kept saying they don't see bilaterals that often, that they are rare. Will you also be at ORMC? If so, pack light, you won't need a thing other than a robe for when you get up. Also, print the page that shows proper elevating and ask for that after the CPMs are removed at night! Have fun this weekend, just do what you can do and know the NEXT time you go to a park, you'll out walk everyone else!
 
Your knees look wonderful! I know you were excited to get the bandages off today. You are recovering so well. I remember reading about the meds making your feel sad/blue - part of the territory. A good cry is therapeutic I think. You are teaching me so many things I will remember to do or hope I remember at the time haha.

Went to the dentist today for my 6 month teeth cleaning. Dr. told me all about the antibiotics I will have to take in the future for appointments.

So good to hear you are getting up in the night by yourself for bathroom trips - that is a worry for me, wondering if I will get there in time.
Keep up your great work. Don't be so hard on yourself. Healing takes time. I think about you every day.
 
PS. My mother in law was a nurse at ORMC in the neonatal unit for 37 years. She taught the new parents how to care for their tiny babies when they took them home. don't know Dr. P. Hospital - where is that?
 
@newkneesNH, thank you, I appreciate your thoughts and support, you're very sweet :). The largest hurdle to nighttime potty breaks was raising/lowering my legs on/off the bed. I figured how to scootch my fanny along to a point I can get up quite easily with the walker, just reversing for getting back into bed. I wear long pants to bed, use the pants leg to pull one then the other up. Sounds way more tedious than it was at the time, hee hee. I think the last day has seen the greatest improvement in the actual ability to raise and lower myself.

Reading and preparing sure helps, but when the boo hoos start, it can sure take ya off guard.
 
@newkneesNH, Dr P hospital is just off I-4 and Sand Lake Road, make an immediate left onto Turkey Lake Rd. I think it's only about seven years old. Correct, no staples, glue was used. I think it'll heal quite nicely.
 
funny that was something I was wondering how to do - getting myself back into bed and swinging both legs up by myself?
To get up sounds easier, plus you are motivated to get to bathroom hehe, and the walker is right there to help. BUT getting back to bed and the point of raising your legs up , do you hold onto your pant leg and pull it gently up? How is it walking around now, do you feel steady on your feet? at night too? thank you for advice!
 
@newkneesNH, I was just showing hubby - I am taking a few independent steps off the walker while I'm navigating the bathroom and I'm real steady. It's not me trying too much too soon - the walker simply doesn't fit, I had to move the raised toilet seat in there when step daughter came to stay a couple weeks. Hubby did have to help me up before that, no way was I able to get out of bed by myself.

Yep, I wear long pants to bed, pull my leg up by the pant leg. Mobility today seems way easier, maybe because I'm finding better ways to work with my limitations?? I don't know...just take it slow when you come home. Have someone with you when you're learning how to do things for yourself so accidents don't happen! And, don't be afraid to ask for help or little things when needed! Don't push, you'll do what you need to when you need to do it :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom