Guest viewing is limited

MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to hear that you're back to work and it's working out ok so far.
 
@Bluetechseeker, I haven't seen posts from you in so long, I figured you were back to 100% and not getting on Bonesmart much anymore. Boy was I wrong! I went back and read your posts over the last month. I am so sorry you are still struggling with your knees. It was a relief to me that your company is working with you on shortened hours, so I can't imagine how it felt to you! Good luck on your journey. You will be in my prayers!

Cindy
 
Hello, everyone! I thought I'd pop on and just give a quick update. So far, so good - recovery is by no means fast, but it's certainly steady. I've been working full time, driving tons of hours, walking tons of miles I think. I find I need to pace my day still, allow time to arrive early after a long drive so I can get out and loosen up before going to meet my customer. BUT - I've been climbing stairs when needed like nobody's business, and have made great strides in keeping up a quick pace when walking with a group. I also need to set times to get up and move around when I'm working from home, otherwise I lose track of time and get stiff. I think I've gained a lot of strength and endurance, and I think returning to work definately helped the entire process. There are still days that I'm utterly exhausted just with daily activity though, so I still have healing that's happening.

My husband and I moved this past week, we had the mover's do the majority of our packing. Of course, we still had all the unpacking and organizing to do. This week has been a challenge, but KNOWING when I need to take a break for a few minutes goes a long way towards preventing swelling and pain. I've used my Kodiak unit several times this week, hadn't needed it for quite some time now. I did start back on Celebrex as a precautionary measure this week as well, and it's helped - otherwise I typically take a couple Tylenol in the morning and that's about it - YAY!!

I haven't really limited my activity, but do keep in mind everything planned for the day so I don't over do things. I still have quite a bit of discomfort behind the knees, and on the outside like the IT bands. I go back for another checkup on August 29, we'll see what the doc says. I think it's just the ol' soft tissues taking their sweet time with healing. I know a nice hot bath feels wonderful, especially followed by ice packs - now, THAT's the way to spend an evening!! When I over do things, those are the specific areas that flare up - the knees themselves are fantastic, just the soft tissues around them that are a bit of a challenge. When I REALLY over do things, I get nasty camel humps above each knee - I now try to avoid doing stuff that causes those because they just flat out hurt and take a while to calm down.

My extension is basically at 0 for each knee, I think both are right at 120 degrees ROM. So, TONS of progress! I don't have to think about where I'm going or what I'm doing, I can just go and handle whatever comes up. Our new place has a front sitting porch with a rocker love seat - I go out there and just rock and rock - it feels great, but it also helps stretch things out really well, too.

I'll be checking back periodically, I've really appreciated all of the support and encouragement throughout this entire ordeal. Thank you all very much!
 
Hey Blue, long time , no see. Im so glad you have made it to the mountain top. You had a tough time. Im glad you are walking and walking stairs with no issues, congratulations. I was worried about you. Have you heard from Jacki .??? Hope shes doing well. Wasnt aware u were moving. Thats a pain in the butt. Hope your family is well. As for me , Im doing well. Exceeded my expectations early on and couldnt be happier, however my other knee is beginning to hurt alittle. Hopefully I can salvage 5 years or so. My ligaments are intact on that knee so thats a relief. No trick knee. Best wishes to you Blue . Iceman
 
Hi, Iceman! It's great to hear from you, thank you. I haven't heard from Jacki, from her last posts she felt she needed time away from the forum to just get on with things from the sound of it. I know how she felt, I had that mindset, too. If I was here everyday I started micro analyzing everything that was or wasn't happening, totally driving myself crazy.

Yeah, we moved from the city of Orlando to the beach community of New Smyrna on a 16 acre ranch - we have our own dock and bass stocked lake, wonderful green space, so beautiful and quiet. Hubby's re-setting his business and this is the perfect spot to do that. And, of course, our dogs LOVE it! So, the change was totally worth the effort and pain.

It's great to hear you're doing well. Maybe your second knee is just jealous, eh? :angel: You've done so well with your first, as you say, exceeding expectations right out of the gate! At least you'll have a realistic idea of what to expect when the time comes for #2 to join #1 :thumb:
 
Nice to hear an update! Wow, you have been one busy person. I'd say your recovery is going great with all that you're doing. Your new home sounds lovely. Congratulations on making such a great move.
 
Well, here's a little crink in the whole scheme of everything. I received an email for a conference call from my new boss and HR this past Monday. They've put me on notice they're very unhappy with my productivity, and I'll be loosing my job either August 31 or September 15 as a result. Their expectation was when I returned to work I'd drop right back in at full speed, which simply is NOT reasonable or reality for what I do, but there's no way I can physically do more than I'm doing. They kept saying this isn't about the length of time you were out - um, well, then WHY do you keep saying that?? So, I'm diligently sending resume's for a more stationary office-based position. I cannot drive upwards of five hours a day, then get out and do full building surveys or climb around construction sites yet. I also cannot keep up with customers when they're running full steam ahead - I've picked up A LOT of endurance and speed, but I'm just not there yet. If he put me on restrictions, they'd fire me and I wouldn't even qualify for unemployment. I've exhausted all FMLA and STD, and do not qualify for LTD. I don't qualify for VA benefits or SSD, either. I just need something more stationary for a while. I've never, ever been written up and certainly never, ever been released from a position.

I had a follow up with my doc on Friday and gave him the update, he got SO peeved!! He measured, I'm actually over 120 degrees ROM on each knee and at 0 extension - for me, it's more a matter of building the strength and endurance back - he almost fell off his stool when he measured!! I told him how I stay sore on the outside of each knee, as well as the swelling in back, and he thinks it's a result of the enormous amount of road time then the activity when I arrive (and, of course, topped off with daily needs). He thinks if I had something more local based, I'd do a lot better, and those areas would settle right down. He issued a permanent handicap parking sticker, though, which I greatly appreciate. I don't use my temp all the time, but it sure is a saving grace on some days!!

So, anyone who knows someone looking for a professional, thorough, diligent, intelligent go-getter who happens to have two bright shiny new knees in the Orlando FL or Daytona Beach FL area, feel free to message me!! :wink:

Oh, tomorrow I turn 51 - I feel better than I did at 31!! Happy Birthday to me!! :cheers2:
 
I am so sorry to hear this after you have made so much progress. Hopefully you will find a job quickly. Congratulations on feeling better than you did in your 30's. I am waiting for that day. Happy birthday tomorrow!

Cindy
 
Happy early birthday Blue! I'm so sorry to hear about your craptastic new boss and their ridiculous decision. I know it's not an option that anyone would want to put into use, but since you don't qualify for LTD or any other sort of 'help', you would qualify for unemployment benefits until you can find a new position. I hope you find a position that you love and that is better suited to your new shiny knees! ;-)
 
Wishing you a Happy Birthday tomorrow. Sorry to hear about your job, I am sure you will find a more suitable position soon.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
So sorry your boss is such a short term thinker. If they just gave you a little more time you'd be back up to great "productivity." :(
 
I also wish you a very happy birthday! I do hope you enjoy your special day and do something fun! Sounds like you really have made a lot of improvements though your boss feels otherwise. Please take care and let us know how things are going.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom