MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, @chestnc, thank you! I spent a lot of time reading the articles and members experiences the last couple of months before surgery. I'm just trying to take each day as it comes, and do the best I can to adhere to the mantras :spin:I'm really pleased with progress so far :egypdance:
 
Good morning! Waiting for PT to get here, just finished my morning icing/elevating session in preparation :whistle:

Went to bed last night around ten thirty, woke once for pain meds, up twice to potty, BUT actually slept until 630!! That felt HUGE :dancy:So, of course, take my pain meds, let the dogs in and out so hubby could sleep, get situated on the sofa, then promptly fell asleep until 830! Wow, sleep feels sooooooooo good! I've been very fortunate that I get several hours at a time, that's for sure.

I'm more curious as the time draws nearer what PT will have me do. I'm doing well walking around and being able to move my legs the way that I am. I do know it doesn't take long to cross that "OK ENOUGH" threshold. This morning making coffee, I found that out. I have a Keurig, LOVE it! Put my cup under there, added sweetener, grabbed mug when done to add cream only to see I totally forgot the COFFEE :groan:. So, dumped hot water and started again. By the time the second cup was half way through, my knees were screaming and feeling like they were literally going to burst. Once the cup finished and I settled on sofa, the bursting feeling went away. Just shows the knees KNOW what they will and won't do, and for me, my knees won't tolerate making two cups of coffee right now :mcoffee:
 
Let's HOPE that PT will only watch you walk, evaluate your gait, check your ROM, have you do some heel slides and a leg lift or two, tell you Good Job and make sure you are icing and elevating. Basically that's all my outpt PTs would LET me do the first few appointments.

I guess you couldve changed your mind and thrown a teabag into that nice cuppa hot water. I think the whole Keurig concept is sort of neat but we cant use any contraption that involves a water tank/heating element on account of the high mineral content of our well water. It doesnt bother us enough to want to mess with a softener or similar device but it is hell on automatic coffee makers--kills 'em dead inside of a year. So we use very old technology--tea kettle, metal drip pot, put the coffee in a thermos and we're good for the whole day.
 
Hi, @jeano Well, you hit the nail on the head with PT, that's basically what she did. She did have me do several variations of leg lifts (front while sitting, lying on side lifting leg up, towel under knee and trying to lift lower leg). Overall, she seemed pleased with my mobility, though obviously there's a long way to go. She watched me walk and thought gait looked pretty good, though she said it seemed I was more "protective" of my right leg and kind of stiff legged that one (um, yeah, right after doing all the exercises, I probably did :umm:) She said I'm doing well, especially given that I had a bilateral. She measured my ROM at a little more than 60 for each - not great, but I'm not going to fret about it at this point in time. She started saying with ROM, they wanted to see me at 90 - 100 at six weeks or they'd start talking "options". I told her it was an absolute fallacy believing there's a "window of opportunity" to get ROM, I can gain it up to 18 months or so from surgery date. I explained my focus especially the first few weeks is resting, elevating, and icing, doing some gentle stretches and handling my basic daily living activities. I told her I don't need to TRAIN I need to HEAL. Once the healing is under way, and swelling is minimal, ROM will come :yay:.

She spent the last few minutes really discussing my expectations with therapy, the frequency, etc. I appreciated that, and was totally forthcoming with her. I told her of my PT experience in the hospital, and again reiterated that I'm not going to lay here and let someone hurt me - if my knee is swollen, it won't bend. If you have me do MORE exercises trying to push through it and the swelling increases, the knee STILL isn't going to bend, back off. She said she agreed with that, it made total sense, so right now it would seem we are of the same mind. I made a FUP appointment for next Wednesday 1400 hrs and we'll take it from there. So, of course right after she left I just sat here and out of the blue started bawling. Hubby thought she'd done something, but I told him it was strictly drug related.

Oh, but here's a funny that happened this morning. I asked hubby for a cup of tea. He brings it out and is sitting here chit chatting with me before PT arrives. I take a sip, and ask, "um, hon, just WHERE did you find this tea??" I have glass lidded canisters on the counter where the tea bags are stored. He said up in the cupboard, and I asked if it was "Smooth Move", he said well, yeah, and I told him I can't have that. He started getting frustrated, poor man, explaining the other ones were all gone, he had to run to the store, he grabbed what he could, apologizing, etc. I stopped him, laughing, and told him, "Hon, of all the bags you could've used, you picked THE one type that is a LAXATIVE - I can't use that right now!" :rofsign:Oh, boy, did he start laughing - just the idea of me RUSHING to go anywhere is hysterical, but add to that the urgency of a laxative?? EESH, that would NOT be pretty!! :rotfl: Needless to say, he found the canister with the other regular tea bags in it, hee hee.
 
After PT this afternoon, I iced and elevated for a couple hours (well, napped to!). Had supper, then iced, used CPM machine and elevated the other leg. I kept each on CPM for almost three hours with my final reading for each knee being 75 :) :). I'd left off at 60 day before yesterday.

So, let's see where I will start and finish with it tomorrow. Everything is feeling good right now, not sore or tight, no swelling feeling.
 
LOVE that story about the tea bag!!!! Oh my......you have a prince of a hubby, though!!! These guys really do try, don't they! God bless 'em!!!

You're doing just great and I'm really enjoying reading your updates. This information is going to be so helpful for people who read your recovery journey over the coming months and years!! Thanks for taking time to recount all the details!!
 
@Jamie thank you! I really appreciate the interest and support. I found the other member postings invaluable when preparing for my surgery, and really want to provide something positive for those coming after me :egypdance: The road to recovery is definitely long, with it's ups and downs - hearing about all that definitely helps to properly prepare yourself for the journey ahead. Today marks my two week mark from surgery. In many respects, I'm way further ahead than I would've thought. In other respects, I feel like I'm lagging.

Yesterday was a tough day. Between the stretches w/PT the day before AND the CPM, my poor knees were so stiff! I rested, iced, and elevated all day, then took a nice hot shower late yesterday afternoon, which felt spectacular. Of course, while laying here during the day, I do heel pumps, quad straightening, the very gentle movements just to have some motion during the day. But wow, it's amazing how seemingly gentle activity can come back and bite you in the behind!

Today, I've been icing and elevating all morning to get loosened up, so to speak (I elevate through the night). I'll go back on CPM at eleven (give meds taken at 1030 a chance to work), will alternate every couple of hours on each leg. I woke this morning feeling frustrated and down, I know I'm sooooooo early in the recovery process, but can't help it (it's just one of THOSE days). I wonder and wonder, will I ever get beyond 75 on the CPM without being so stiff for a full day or more afterwards??

It's really strange to me to look at my knees, not really see a whole lot of swelling, but know swelling is what is preventing the bend. I've read all of the articles, and have re-read the majority of them even to really wrap my mind around the whole methodology and processes at work. I understand the internal swelling is preventing bend, and resting, icing, and elevating is precisely what I should be doing. Like I said, it's just one of THOSE days where I feel discouraged and down :sad:

<sigh...> okay, enough belly aching. I appreciate being able to voice all the rumblings that rattle through my brain all day, thank you.
 
Yes, those days do hit us. We know logically that it will take time, but we still feel:gaah::cry: Vent any time.
 
I have been following your recovery and am happy to see that you are doing well at this phase. It gives me hope for my recovery after BTKR. I look for your thread every day to see what is new and how you are doing. Thanks for taking the time to write.
 
I think you're doing GREAT for being so early in your recovery. I'm 4 weeks out from RTKR and totally 'get' your frustration and fear of not getting anywhere. It's hard to see it, but every day you are making some sort of improvement. It may not be ROM, but may be a tiny bit less pain, an extra 10 minutes of rest, 5 minutes extra on the knee bendy machine or something else, but it happens. I, like you, found (and still find) it fascinatingly frustrating that just by standing too long or walking too far, even by 5 minutes, can be 'too much'. I've had many days when although I didn't think I did too much, my knee told me the next day that I had. It's hard to sit and do nothing, but honestly, it helps.

Keep up the great work and I hope your day gets better. (btw, it may be a full moon or something going on as I have read that many people are having sad days today - me included)
 
I wonder and wonder, will I ever get beyond 75 on the CPM without being so stiff for a full day or more afterwards??
Hmmmm.....you are stiff (swelling) after using the CPM? Hon, that's your knees telling you to quit doing that! How about taking a week off the CPM machine? Instead, just prop each knee up on a step several times a day and do some gentle bending into the knee so that you exercise that ROM. You can do the same thing lying down on the bed by bending your knee. Or you can do the bends sitting in a chair or rocker. What you want is a gentle pushing into the bend maybe 10 times several times a day. You really don't need hours in that machine to get the job done.

Try that and I'm betting your knees will improve.
 
Hi, @Jamie Those are all very good ideas which I think I like a whole lot better than the CPM machine. I have it on loan until the 27th, doing without it is not a problem at all. I have my FUP doc appointment Tuesday afternoon, with another home PT on Wednesday afternoon - it'd be lovely getting rid of the swelling before seeing the doc at least. Right now I'm sitting with legs elevated, ice on the back of the knees (feels heavenly), and a gel pack draped across the front of the left. There's been a band of swelling towards the bottom on the front of the knee that has been pretty persistent.

I've been diligent elevating, but I don't think it's been HIGH enough. I took another look at the picture, added a small pillow to my stack today, and will also change my night arrangement to match. Proper elevation has got to help the swelling, right?

Is there a problem with sitting with my feet down, legs extended for a few minutes here and there throughout the day? It feels good for a few minutes, I feel perpetually tipped half way upside down right now with all the elevating :scratch: I've also been using the ice machine throughout the day - is there such a thing as over icing? I hope not!

Tomorrow, NO CPM, I'll do the gentle stretches as Jamie described, ice front and back of knees, elevate, and rest - that's IT. My hubby will be gone all day for work, my sister is coming to stay the afternoon with me (she lives right down the road). I've been napping majority of the morning, so it'll work perfect.

Thanks for all the encouragement and support today everyone - it's just not been a good day for me (will also discuss with doc on Tuesday). Tomorrow will be better, and Tuesday better still. Gotta stay positive instead of getting all down in the dumps - that doesn't help anything, makes this whole recovery business feel worse than it is. :flwrysmile:
 
Proper elevation has got to help the swelling, right?
Yep, proper elevation, ice and pain management (meds) are all helpful for swelling.

Is there a problem with sitting with my feet down, legs extended for a few minutes here and there throughout the day?
No, you should alternate elevating with some periods of sitting normally. The key is to sit or lie a variety of ways through the day and night. That keeps things moving around!

I've also been using the ice machine throughout the day - is there such a thing as over icing?
No such thing as too much ice. The only thing to watch is that you keep something between your ice source and your skin so you don't overchill your skin. That can do damage to the tissue.
 
Well, today is a new day :SUNsmile: Hubby is gone for business all day, my wonderful eldest step daughter has already stopped by, and my sister is due in a couple of hours.

No weepy, self-pitying feeling today - I'm on my sofa looking out the front window. The sky is clear, sun is shining, and I'm just elevating and icing (hubby set machine up before leaving). NO CPM today! I've been doing quad stretches, ankle pumps, will do gentle bends as described by @Jamie in a bit, and just take the day as it comes.

Got up this morning (amazing how easy it is now to get in and out of bed!), did my morning toiletry (again, getting really easy), then out to the kitchen to make a coffee and grab a yogurt.

I've been really careful with my diet, I tend towards constipation to begin with but being on the pain meds obviously makes this worse. I've had whole grains, prunes, red grapes, apples, apple sauce, trail mix (fruit and nuts only), tons of veggies - lots of good nutritious foods that typically help keep things moving. Right now, it's not quite enough, though. I've increased my stool softener the last day and a half - I'd been pretty miserable yesterday afternoon because I just couldn't easily "go". Finally, this morning it's paying off - somehow, that alone makes the day seem brighter and easier to manage :yay:

Time for pain meds, then I predict a nice little nap. Boy, I feel immensely better physically, emotionally, and mentally than I did yesterday! Thank goodness :spin:
 
I was wondering if that CPM drill was holding you back. I didnt have one, lots of folks didnt, not in the hospital and not at home. I suspect that younger, more physically fit and active patients than used to be the norm, and improved pain management make the CPMs less of a good idea if they ever were. I've read studies indicating CPM users have more swelling and that long term ROM doesnt differ a bit between them as use and them as dont. You are able to get up and move around and manifestly dont need to be prodded to do so, and this is probably all the activity your new knees need. I know someone who endured something like 6 hours of CPM daily for her hospitalization and then inpatient rehab--hated every second of it to the point that the thought of going through it again is keeping her from getting her second knee done!

I iced as close to continuously as was physically possible (meaning I didnt take the Polar cube to the toilet or dining table--although more than once I put a freeze pak on my leg while eating) and I still ice a fair amount even though I am 10 weeks out. With a bilateral I expect it will take longer for your body to process that swelling.
 
I wish I would have gotten an icing unit. Sounds like you are doing great. I know what you mean about feeling guilty about hubby, but then think about how if the roles were reversed--you would be there for him, right?
 
Good morning, @jeano. My doc is one of "those" who happen to be a huge advocate for the CPM machine. I'd used it with both previous surgeries as well. Given the fact that the days I'm more swollen and more stiff tend to be after using the stupid thing, I will not use it again.

I'm easily up ten to fifteen times each day, and my whole body tells me it's getting a workout! Between squiggling and positioning to get up, the act of rising, going and doing what I need, then coming back, getting seated and resettled, it's a lot right now. Hubby was asking last night if I wanted to start upper body workouts - no thanks, already doing them!!!

I wondered with the swelling if it will simply take longer to clear out because both knees were operated on, there isn't a "good" one to take on the burden. Is that possible?

I'm also drinking lots, watching sodium intake, doing gentle massage on my knees throughout the day, but don't know what else I could be doing to calm this down and move forward. I did start both potassium and magnesium supplements which seem to have already started helping muscle twitches I was beginning to have. I've also basically been living in my ice wraps other than at night. I dunno, maybe I need to try them then as well? Perhaps that will be on the agenda tonight...
 
@czak57, Absolutely! I'd be all over hubby if the situation were reversed! We've talked about it, and he actually posed the same question. I've always been a care giver, but struggle in the role of care TAKER. I've just been trying to consolidate my requests so he can do a couple at a time, a couple or few times a day rather than something all day long. That seems to have helped both he and I.

Thanks for the encouragement as well. This would be ever so much easier if there were set guidelines or milestones along the way <sigh>. I've been reframing it in my mind that we are each responsible for setting our own guidelines and milestones based on our own recovery experience. Me? Day before yesterday was my first day to actually take a shower, shave, wash hair, blow dry and fix hair, brush teeth, and actually put a little make up and perfume on. Of course, it all didn't happen at one time, but it DID happen. Provides a terrific sense of normalcy, that's for sure. The last couple days I've even made my own coffee or tea a few times, what a feeling if independence!

So, I guess it's all a matter of perspective, eh? As said so many times here, this is a marathon not a race. The knees set the pace, and boy is THAT the truth!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey
see? Two weeks post op, visually there doesn't appear to be a lot of swelling. I have been noticing though, the back of my knees are sore and have started icing there as well. My wraps don't cover the back.

I wonder how much longer the glue (and associated purple marker) will stay on?
 
You're doing all the right things. Now you just need to be patient. It may take a bit longer to resolve because you are dealing with two knees, but not for the reason you think. It's just that one may be slower than the other. Things will right themselves at your body's speed. You cannot hurry it up by doing something. So, sit back, relax, keep doing exactly what you're doing and let your knees take charge. They will always tell you where you are in the healing process and when it's time to speed up the activity or slow things down. As long as you're moving about like you are and doing a few of those stretches and bends, you'll be fine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom