MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, @Jamie :). That is definitely the course I have set for myself. I will also remind myself, find some patience!! I think that's the toughest part!!
 
When you find that magical Fountain of Patience, please let us know where it is so we can send all the BoneSmarties to drink!:rotfl:
 
Definitely do those things that make you feel human like making your coffee--and then balance with the mantra and you'll find things getting more and more normal--but in baby steps.
 
You might think your knees aren't swollen and they certainly don't look swollen, but they are! Mine didn't look a bit swollen but they must have been, because later on I noticed my knee caps were suddenly there again. I hadn't seen them for three months! So that proved to me that my knees had indeed been swollen afterall.
 
@scaredinCA, isn't it weird to know there's swelling (I mean, we can FEEL it), but see no evidence of it? That's what I don't understand about the internal swelling - you'd think there'd be evidence of it somewhere!

Had a nice visit with sister, then elevated and iced for a couple hours. While she was here, iced back of knees with legs being extended. She was shocked at how well I'm moving around, she thought I wouldn't be able to walk at all yet!

All in all, it's been a relaxing day even though I've been fending for myself all day. Hubby has called a couple times checking on me, as has my daughter and step daughter. Hubby is home tomorrow, my doc appointment is at two fifteen. So, I will get my shower tomorrow morning, have a little bite of lunch and a nap, then will see doc. I'm totally appreciating my naps!! I've always been one that if I take a nap, I'm up half the night. No worries of that right now! All of a sudden - poof - out like a light, wake totally refreshed a while later.

Ok, time for doggies supper. The tray I bought for walker is more than paying for itself! Carting ice machine, drinks, snacks, etc. sure is a lot easier!
 
Good evening, everyone! Had my follow up with OS today, they think I'm doing AWESOME with the amount of movement and functionality that I have :dancy: Doc said their expectation is 5 - 10 degrees of improvement on flexion per week at this stage (HA!). I've certainly not seen anything like that in this forum, but we'll see how everything works out (not holding my breath). I have in-home PT scheduled for tomorrow afternoon, doc extended the prescription for another full week so I'll schedule additional appointments. Then, it's on to outpatient PT.

They did x-rays, I saw the implants which was really cool. Though obviously I know the surgery that was performed, it's really odd seeing the hardware inside my body. Hubby was there and kept saying, "holy cow! WOW! That's awesome! Look at that!". The PA said I'm a rock star having both done at the same time AND doing as well as I am this early out. Now, I KNOW they say that to all their patients, but it was still really great hearing it directed at me :yay:

Last night I was walking around without the walker for a bit - it felt so good to just BE. I didn't want to push it though, so limited my solo time. This evening, I actually ate supper at The Big Girl Table (a.k.a. kitchen table, hee hee) with hubby. This was the first meal we've shared at the table since before surgery, and boy was it nice :egypdance:Hubby made a lovely omelet with turkey breakfast sausages, eggs, sautéed spinach and coconut oil.

Sitting here, elevating, hubby's getting a shower then getting the ice machine set up. Then, guess what I'll do? Ice and elevate some more! My knees could sure tell they had an outing today. I put a pillow under my feet in the car (I have an SUV) because the seats a tad high, that helped so I didn't feel all stretched out (that amount of bend is still a challenge). By the time we got home, I started having some sharp pains here and there in each knee - they were just saying, "OK, done, DONE!" They've since went away, of course, I've taken my meds as well so that helped. It was really weird being out and about today. I can't even imagine how strange it will feel when I drive again, eesh!
 
What a day you had! That's great that you are moving around so much. Glad all went well at the doctor appointment. Two more days. I got my surgery time for Thursday be there 6 am starts at 7:30 am. Will finish packing tomorrow. Got hair cut today. Feeling prepared and calm yet moments of anxiety. Trying to rest and relax. Keep checking my lists.
 
@newkneesNH this last bit of time seems both the longest and the shortest! I was so concerned that hubby was set up properly, that's what I focused on. I did list after list for groceries and stuff that I wanted to have done before surgery - not because he actually NEEDED it, but because it so totally occupied my mind, all the plotting and planning :yes: I think you'll do great! You've had the opportunity to prepare yourself, and that goes such a long way to helping with the recovery and healing that's about to take place. And relax - we all had those moments of anxiety - I don't know how someone could go into such a surgery and not have them!! :friends:
 
Re the swelling we cant see--think of a tin box with a quart of water in it. The box can hold a quart and a half max, maybe. Then put water in there under pressure with a one-way valve until theres a bit more than the quart and a half--the water cant escape easily because of the one way valve, but the seams strain and the sides bulge imperceptibly and eventually the water oozes out via the seams or the oneway valve fails--the box might not look any different while you are filling it and overfilling it, but the PRESSURE inside the box certainly increases. up to the point of failure This is how I visualize the invisible knee swelling. Even if the maximum capacity of the box is a quart and a half its going to have higher pressure inside and be heavier than its "normal" load of a quart. Obviously our knees dont have failing seams or blow up but they will lock up or have very limited ROM when there's too much fluid in there.

One day you are going to wake up and one of your knees is going to be well below that quart and a half feeling. It wont last long, maybe just for a few minutes, but those minutes will stretch to hours over time. Then both knees. Then both knees will be good for a day or two before you do something and push the envelope until they swell again. That's inevitable. Unless you are a slow learner you will quickly figure out just how far you can play the edge and increase your activity in order to minimize the down time you have to take to recover.

Re icing all night--I actually did fall asleep in bed with the ice on once or twice. I had the machine BY the bed ready to go at all times (the bed was also my daytime nest for over 7 weeks) and I certainly used ice when my knees gave me the 2, 3 or 4AM wakeup call.

I was "supposed" to do all or nearly all my outpatient PT exercises several times a day at home. Didnt happen. On weekends (I had daily outpt PT for 2 weeks starting the day after surgery) I'd do most of the exercises once and call it a day. Days that I actually went to PT, I was chillin' for the rest of the day as soon as I could get home. When you start outpatient PT and they tell you to do x number of reps of exercises y and z at home just nod your head and smile and then do what your common sense tells you to do.
 
WOW - Blue - you are doing great. So happy to hear you are coming along. I am at the 15 week point and amazed at the progress. It just seems to happen - all of a sudden I realize I am doing more than I did last week or the other day, etc.

Doing PT in the pool has been wonderful. It is amazing what you can do under water compared to on land, but just knowing the knees work so well anywhere is positive. :iagree: The long PJs certainly did come in handy for hoisting the legs with less pain.
 
@jeano thanks for so much info!! I've perfected the head nod/agree technique already - that's precisely what I did when given the whole sheet of exercises from the hospital PT, when they told me the CPM for SIX hours each knee each day, and today with home PT and the list of exercises to do before her return on Saturday. I'm doing plenty of ankle pumps, knee slides, stretches, and of course just daily activity - I'm just not doing a gazillion repetitions of a bazillion different exercises right now. I'm seeing daily improvements in my actual movements, the ease, distance, height - I know healing is happening :yay: I've thought of trying the ice machine over night, but just don't know that I could stand it. I keep it on darn near all day, and have also been icing the backs of my knees as well.

@taylornewknees I searched and searched for water therapy around here!! I thought it sounded wonderful, but couldn't find anything. I even checked public pools, but the one right around the corner from me closes the end of this month until late spring, and the next closest is a half hour away. I also think progress is amazing - each day I compare where I was a few days or a week ago - that's when you can really see how things are improving.

@Lovestoread Thank you! I agree, a positive attitude is crucial during recovery. I definitely have my down times, and I don't try fighting them. I know it's the medication as well as sheer frustration right now. I'm in sales, and on my bio page, I have "Positivity, it's my daily mantra" - it's how I start each day, and try finishing each evening.

Had home PT today, she's very, very gentle. She explains what she'd like me to try, and the number of repetitions but always adds, as many as I'm comfortable doing. I did exercises sitting, standing, and laying down today. The one that really bothers me are the straight leg lifts, especially on the right leg. The left I did five repetitions, holding leg up for a count of three. I couldn't hardly lift the right leg, but tried the five times and only held it up a couple of seconds, if that. It's just not cooperating right now. So, of course since that was the final exercise, I chose that time to literally burst into tears - hadn't cried since yesterday morning. She looked mortified, and tried comforting me, but of course, that only makes it worse <sigh>:boohoo:So, she's due back on Saturday for another session. I've been icing and elevating since. She, too, asked about the CPM, but I'm not going to use it again - it's due to be picked up on the 27th anyway.
 
Best of luck! Just remember you will never have the pain you are experiencing now again. I am 12 weeks post op and it is the best thing I have done for myself in 10 years!
 
Whoop whoop!!!!!! BIG DAY! I'm officially soaking in the most heavenly hot bath

I've been showering, but am definately a bath person. Hubby was here "in case", but I can lower and raise myself out fine. Wow, now THIS is progress ahhhhhhh
 
Wow! I am so impressed with your recovery. You are definitely a role model for BTKR people. I like your positive atttitude and common sense. I know each recovery is different but I will be taking some of this with me as I have my BTKR in March.
 
Hey Blue - Sorry to hear you do not have access to a pool. I have been going to our local pool during what they call the "silver dolphins" class - which is exercise in the shallow end. Other than when I do some squats in the water, I stay in the deep end and do cycling, walking, cross-country skiing motions, and swim. I then do leg lifts while in the hot tub. This morning I tried a few squat-kicks and my knees are telling me they did not appreciate another new exercise. They are getting stronger every day, so must be doing something right. I have noticed if I just add a couple of few reps at a time of any new exercise, knees adjust better. I still use my pedal exerciser and now have a treadmill at home, as walking outside is absolutely impossible - snow, ice, snow, and did I mention ice! Canadian winters! beautiful to look at, but.... Anyway, keep up the good recovery work.
 
@Snowysmom Thank You!! I'm really happy if anything that I document during my recovery helps someone else along the way :happydance:I've SO appreciated being able to read, study, learn, and gain a reasonable expectation of what's to come based on the experiences of others here - this forum ROCKS! :yes!:

@taylornewknees while it's nowhere near the same, I did some stretches and bends while in my hot bath today. Movement in the water is certainly different than on land :) I was imagining the real sense of freedom working in the pool, maybe I can convince hubby to shuttle me to one of the public pools here in a couple of weeks. I know my youngest step daughter would also LOVE going - she's part fish, I think, hee hee.

My sister came for a visit this afternoon, nice topper to my morning bath experience. Knees feel pretty good today - I wondered if all the different stretches during PT would cause swelling/stiffness today. I guess that DOES go to show the swelling and stiffness I had after last PT was due to also using CPM machine. She asked about it while here yesterday, but I won't be using it again. I've been doing more regular sitting - the bit of stretch that provides feels really, really good. I find I'm able to be up and walking a bit longer now without that burning/stretching/swelling feeling on the front of my knees. I have PT scheduled for this Saturday, then Tuesday and Thursday of next week. From that point forward, it will be outpatient PT (I'm totally on the fence as to how much of that I want to do).

Hubby gave me a lovely recumbent bike for Christmas, we have it put together and just waiting for me here in the living room. At what point would it be feasible to try it? Just whenever I feel up to it for a couple of minutes? I've been looking and looking at it the last couple of days, and kind of think I'd like to try it, but again, don't want to bite off more than I can chew or try to do something that's obviously too much. Monday will be a full three weeks since surgery, though, so I'm thinking it should be okay. Suggestions?
 
Whoop whoop!!!!!! BIG DAY! I'm officially soaking in the most heavenly hot bath

I've been showering, but am definately a bath person. Hubby was here "in case", but I can lower and raise myself out fine. Wow, now THIS is progress ahhhhhhh

Sounds lovely!! Like you, I love a good bath and was unable to take one for several years. Just the little things like this make it all worthwhile!
 
@Lovestoread it's definitely the small things sometimes that make us feel like progress is really happening! I think my next hurdle will be walking to the end of the drive to pick up the mail. It's certainly not that far, is pretty level, but there are a few steps out and in that I need to do. Since my home is one level, and I really haven't been anywhere other than doc's on Tuesday, I haven't had the opportunity to practice steps. That could well be my high light for tomorrow afternoon :spin:

Hubby has been doing laundry all day. Now, don't get me wrong, he's a very self-sufficient man. It's just really ODD having him doing all the stuff I normally do!! He's doing great, no doubt about it though.

Dad's coming for a visit tomorrow evening. He actually made a mince meat pie today that he'll bring down with him. My mom passed away eleven years ago, he knew how to do nothing and really had a difficult time adjusting to being alone. Now he's making pies AND bring some to me?? Bless his heart!

Wow, my whole world seems backwards and topsy turvy right now!! :rolleyes:
 
Enjoy your dad's visit and pie! See, anything is possible! I struggled to make myself not re-do the things my husband was doing to help out. He still doesn't know that I absolutely hated the toilet paper he bought! :heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom