MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, @newkneesNH ! Well, today has been a dusting day - I do a bit here and there, spacing things out as needed. There's lots more to do, but I have a lot of time so no problem. I've found going up the stairs it's easier to lead with my right leg - it seems stronger in the quads than the left. Coming down, it feels more natural leading with my left as the staircase has only one rail, and it's on the right hand side. So, I still come down sideways (trying to gradually straighten myself out), lead with my left, grip rail with my right, and if needed, put left hand on the wall. I also found a bedside trunk that's the perfect height to use for knee bends - I can stretch to about 100 - 105 from the looks of things. Otherwise, to me it looks like I'm at about 95 <sigh>

I do find eating out can be a challenge - not necessarily the seat height, but the table pedestals and width - sometimes they feel like they allow only inches to get in! I've literally backed up and plopped down, sliding myself across a few times as a result. I haven't needed an elevated toilet seat for about a month now I think. If out, I'll use the handicapped, if home or visiting, I can use the regular. I do still use my hands to help lower and push myself up, though. BUT, I don't need to have a death grip on anything to pull myself up anymore, hee hee. I haven't been to a movie, but I think the length of sitting would still pose a challenge for me - I get real squiggly after about twenty minutes or so right now, so it'd be constant adjusting. It's been easiest for me to either sit somewhere with at least one arm, or on something that I can use my hands to help push myself up (one hand in front between my knees with the other behind me pushing). I figure no guts, no glory - I'm not going to know if I can do something without trying, and going with hubby he's always there to help if needed.

We went to the neighbors the other night for drinks and visiting, I had no issues there at all. Ironically, the wife is a physical therapist with the New York Ballet! I had to step up to get into their home, stairs down into their dining/sunroom, then back up into their living room. Overstuffed cooshy furniture, wooden chairs with no arms in dining room - but, I handled everything fine. She knew immediately the surgery I'd had, and I could hear her clucking a couple of times watching me move around (commenting how hard I worked to "push off", that kind of thing). So, if I need it, I certainly have a resource very close by.

I'm having quite a bit of pain/discomfort in the back of my knees/calves (ham strings?). Still the swelling behind knees, but having soreness on the outside IT bands for both. I woke yesterday and today wondering when will this ever end? I'm sooooooooo tired of being tired and sore!! Like Buzz Lightyear, this recovery feels like it's going to infinity and beyond! But, obviously there are no shortcuts. We've about decided I'll fly back rather than ride when I need to return for my doctors appointment - hubby is very concerned how well I'd handle 16+ hours in the car (truth be told, I am, too). But, we have a plan so that helps.
 
Ooh, I meant to add - I've noticed a marked improvement on the extension of my right knee - I think it's almost 0 now. THATS huge!! I've been concentrating on walking properly, and when standing alternate my weight from leg to leg, keeping each straight (or at least as near straight as possible) while standing there. I've also made sure to elevate properly, and have been doing some very nice leg stretches.

I ordered a floor pedal exerciser that's due to be delivered this Thursday. I'm anxious to try it and see how well it works. I just don't want to back slide any, and the specific areas used pedaling really feel good.
 
Congratulations on your extension! My extension on my non-surgical leg is 14! You are doing great!
 
It sounds like you are enjoying your vacation and doing well in the new surroundings. Finding that right balance between being active and being careful is hard, isn't it. I know what you mean about being over this recovery. It seems like forever even though it has only been 3 months.
 
Ooooooh, big news is that I received my nice little floor pedaler here yesterday. I love it! It's heavy and sturdy enough and has smooth rotations. I used it several times yesterday, about ten minutes each - ended up doing over 1200 rotations during the day! I was concerned if I'd be sore this morning, but nope, so will do the same today. @traveler1 oh my goodness, yes, the balancing act is TOUGH. I think the change in scenery has really helped my mental and emotional state, no doubt.

I'll be flying back to Orlando next Wednesday, then hubby is driving back on Saturday. My OS appointment is on the 22nd, so we'll see what he says as far as my progress. I do NOT see any kind of huge improvement in ROM, but do feel looser overall, so that's progress. And, I'm having less swelling and pain during the day so progress there as well. After the appointment, we'll reassess to see what our plan will be.
 
Oooh, progress today!! I actually went DOWN stairs foot-over-foot!! It felt really awkward at first, but certainly not painful :happydance:AND - hubby was playing some songs on the computer this evening, and I actually DANCED!! Yep, cut the rug, sashayed, boogied (well, in my own way :thumb:) Certainly nothing to right home about but it sure felt good and FUN! :egypdance:

I think coming here has really helped the strength in my thighs and calves - a lot of exercise up and down the stairs as well as walking around the uneven yard. And, adding my new pedaler to it has certainly upped the amount. I'm planning on hitting the gym when I get home, start doing some very gently weight training again, ride their bike, just start slow and see how I do :flwrysmile:Keep the forward momentum going, ya' know?
 
@Bluetechseeker, You might be surprised at your ROM. I told my p/t that I didn't feel like I was making any progress so he measured. -3 for flexion and 123 for extension. That was an improvement of 4 degrees for each in just over a week. I was beyond thrilled. My home p/t told me she didn't think I would go past 115. I can't pull my knee back that far if I am laying on the p/t table but if my legs are dangling from the side it will go back much further. I'm having a problem with a tendon behind the knee that feels like something is pinching. I hope you get a good report when you go back for your check-up. Felt like I was walking on a cloud after I got such a good one!
 
@Texan I'm really impressed with your update, that's EXCELLENT news!! Did they say anything about the pinchy nerve thing you have? It's weird - when I bend, to ME it doesn't look like it's much improved. The activities I'm doing, though, do seem to indicate it's better than what is in my mind. And I do get better bend hanging my leg off the table or something rather than just laying there trying to bend.

I've really been concentrating on improving the extension of my right leg, it's almost the same as left now. I do feel really tight in each, though, but I guess that's just all part of this. The tendons on the inside and outside of my knees are giving me issues, as is the swelling in the back of the knees. Those are the main items I'll discuss with doc, see what he says. I mentioned both at my last appointment, but he didn't seem too concerned then. Perhaps since it's all still there he'll have some words of wisdom for me? I'm planning on asking for yet another refill of my pain meds - it's a comfort knowing they're there if/when I need them. There are still times that Tylenol just isn't enough for me, those times are typically later in the day/early evening which makes sleeping difficult.

I dunno - it's about the time that I start fretting what OS will say when I get checked. I've had nightmares of him saying it's all locked in place with scar tissue again, and I need to have it surgically removed, yikes. I tend to worry more with this recovery since I can't actually SEE what's going on - my imagination gets away from me at times.

Hubby has been commenting how much improved my gait is, how normal I'm looking as I move around now. He does agree I need to rebuild my strength, figures that'll help things a lot as do I. He's been really impressed with how well I've done on the stairs, too. Ahh, I adore the support and encouragement my hubby gives me!!
 
My doctor said there isn't anything that would be pinching behind my knee so just work through the pain. Then he looked at my xray and said that I have an accessory bone that might be causing it. He isn't very helpful. Once he finished surgery, he was pretty much done with me. My physical therapist is very good but he isn't sure what is causing the pain. We know my hamstring is very week. It sounds to me like you are doing great. It is easy for us to build things up in our minds that things are much worse than they are. I do the same thing, as I was convinced I was wasting time at p/t. I haven't been taking hydrocodone on a regular schedule since about week 3 but like you,take it occasionally at night when Tylenol isn't enough. It is a comfort to know they are in the medicine cabinet if I need them. I take a Celebrex every morning and extra strength Tylenol at bedtime usually. I need to build up the strength in my legs, too. It is pitiful to get jelly legs from so little at p/t. It is getting better, though. I'm sure you will get a great report when you go back to Florida.
 
Blue - great work on the steps. :yahoo: Doesn't it feel great to walk down the steps sort of normal? You are doing great, the change of scenery has done you good. I think you will be surprised when you get home and check your rom. I think I was told it takes at least 115 to be able to do the steps.

Texan 123 is great.
I can't pull my knee back that far if I am laying on the p/t table but if my legs are dangling from the side it will go back much further.

I seem to have a better bend when dangling my legs also, wish they would measure rom that way and not laying flat. :what:
 
Ugh, this has been a really rough day!! My sleep the last couple of nights has reverted back to being up until two or three o'clock, can't sleep when I AM in bed, toss, flip, turn, can't keep my legs still. Pain, stiffness, and swelling have been really horrid today - been popping Tylenol all day, icing & elevating, just took dilaudid as well. It's getting really cold here tonight, and it's been windy/rainy all day - would the weather have that much effect even if I've been inside most of the day??? Wow, I can't hardly tolerate being up and about at all. Makes me DREAD traveling tomorrow night - very, very glad I'll be having wheelchair assistance.

I'm having a HUGE struggle between insurance and OS office - I've received no benefits all month. The original paperwork was submitted with me off through March 30. I had my appointment March 25, OS extended it until my next appointment on Apr 22. Problem is, this bridges a transition from short to long term disability coverage. So, last week, insurance finally told me they hadn't received the required documents, doc's office verified they were faxed but discovered the fax didn't go through. They re-sent everything and confirmed receipt with insurance. Late yesterday, insurance said they didn't receive the notes from my last appointment, so I got back with doc's office first thing this morning. They flat out said insurance was lying, they sent everything as requested. They called and verified notes were sent, insurance was informed of date, time, fax number, etc. So, I'm in limbo - they won't issue the final two weeks of short term until those are received, reviewed, and approved THEN long term representative will call to begin that process. Wow, good thing I'm also receiving my tax refund this week so I can have a BLAST and pay my freaking BILLS, geesh!! Sorry, pain just makes me a grumpy gus!
 
Sorry to hear you are having a bad day. I hope the swelling is gone before you get on the plane tomorrow. Have you been doing a lot of activities you aren't used to over the last couple of days? I cleaned house for 2 days so my knee was swollen all day today. My p/t told me to quit cleaning house! Hahaha (He was just kidding!)

Isn't it awful dealing with insurance? I get frustrated every time I get an EOB and it says something isn't covered. The CPM (that the dr. ordered) wasn't covered. $350. How can that not be covered? Will have to call insurance tomorrow. Have fun paying your bills with that tax refund! Hope you are able to get some sleep tonight so you are rested for your flight.
 
Hi, @Texan. The only other activity I've been doing is knee bends - sitting on the edge of a chair with my legs bent, then kind of stretching the bend a bit more and holding for 20 - 30 seconds, releasing, then repeating a couple times. The stretch feels great in my quads. I've been doing those for the last few weeks though, but maybe doing more here or maybe greater bend and it's causing a flair up or something?? It's now SNOWING, so perhaps the cold wet weather also is playing a role. I just took a second pain pill, too - eesh, I hate it when I feel this way, almost makes me feel trapped by the pain and discomfort. I've even been really careful how much up and down on the stairs, too.

I totally AGREE!! I have the same dang thing with the CPM, not covered - and I had it twice for several weeks each time. I'll try calling as well, just not holding my breath for any change on that one. Right now, it's tough financially - the wait for benefits is pretty frustrating but at least I have them, I guess. I've thought about discussing the JAS system with doc, but really don't want the additional cost. I've been doing some reading on it, and there's really not a clear indication of documented benefits specifically due to it's use. It seems the majority of users say they could've gotten the same ROM increase by doing their exercises. So, I may discuss with him and see what his thoughts are and take it from there. BUT, I cannot afford to rent one for heaven knows how much per month for several months (the typical usage time).
 
Yay, I'm home! Woke up this morning to 27 degrees and two inches of snow, now back in Orlando and it's 70's - nice change ;) The trip went fine, no issues except Jet Blue is a little slow dealing with wheelchair needs. Actually came home, unpacked my little case, messed around relaxing, tried going to bed, just got up and rode my recumbent bike for a few minutes, now elevating and watching a little TV. I'm sure I'll burn out in about a half hour or so, last night was horrible and I ended up with little actual sleep.

I received confirmation today my extension for the last two weeks of short term has been approved, the long term disability folks will be calling. I also received a call from my HR lead indicating since short term has ran out, I'm now on the clock for FMLA which is a total of twelve additional weeks they're required to keep my position available for me. I expected this classification to occur, so no surprise. Tomorrow, picking up the mail from my dad and doing grocery shopping - the cupboards are pretty bare here! I'd sent majority of pantry goods up with hubby for that place, so will need to restock here. We'll see how I feel in the morning, THAT will be the gauge on how much I'll be doing :)
 
Holy smokes Blue , you have been one busy lady. Im wondering if you stand in front of a stair and put 1 foot on the first step and gently bend back and forth . That really helped me. But you had a bilateral , it may be difficult but I think doable. Its great to help with flexion. As for extension , I purchased a electric stimulator. I place the thingies on my quad and let it shock my quad for 10 second . Thats when I tighten and make a muscle. Ill usually will have had ice on my knee. But the quad is a major factor with extension,. And those e stims are very inexpensive. Just a suggestion . Ill be flying to southern California next week . I want to relax and chill at the beach for a week . After that ill have to go back to work on the 10th . :-(. Best wishes Blue.
 
Hang in there, Blue. We'll both make it.... one day at a time.... and when that's too much to contemplate, then one hour at a time....


BTKR 01/14/2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Good morning, everyone. @JackiFL it's great to hear from you!! True, we WILL make it, and I just have to focus on the immediate and not the long term - for my own sanity!!

Had my FUP with OS yesterday. Here I am all worried because of the various aches, pains, swelling, limitations - and he's THRILLED with where I'm at. He said I need to remember all they've done (meaning the surgery and MUA's), and where I came from before surgery. He doesn't feel the pain on the inside/outside of my knees is tendonitis, but he isn't happy with the swelling I'm keeping there or above each knee in my quad area. He added Flexiril one tab 3x daily and changed Celebrex to 100 mg 2x daily. He issued another script for 4 mg dilaudid, saying he was really impressed I didn't need it throughout the day, that Tylenol was doing ok for me. He figures the Flexiril will help with the pain in the back of my knees going down my calves and hopefully do something for the pain on the sides and tightness in the quads. I figure, what the heck, we'll give it a try. He was wholly onboard with me going to my gym, only stipulating NO FORCE through the knees yet. He will not release me to work as yet, he kept saying he didn't want to change anything with that yet, it'd be too much. I go back in six weeks and he will re-evaluate then.

Doc was really happy with the stairs I'd accomplished, I've also started working on getting up with no hand assist (that's tough, I feel so weak!), and I don't need a pillow under my legs to sleep anymore. The extension is right at 0 for each leg now, he really liked that. The ROM, though, is about 95 - I told him that will come when the soft tissue's calm down, I can FEEL it! But, I thought I really needed to continue working on strengthening my quads; he agreed.

So, here we are. Two months since MUA's, three months and three weeks since surgery. I really thought I'd be totally myself by now, no denying it. For me right now, the frustration of the limitations is the most difficult. I have aches and pains constantly, regardless of the meds or icing/elevating - THAT really makes all this tougher to deal with. I told him yesterday, most days I just want to crawl out of my own skin. BUT - all in all, I can only work with what I have now and continue moving forward the best I can. I'm so fortunate to have such a helpful, understanding hubby - he's really stepped in and carried forward when I simply cannot. I have full faith and confidence in my doctor, that helps tremendously as well. And, having the peace of mind with the disability pay also takes a huge burden off so I can concentrate on ME and improving.
 
I am so glad to hear that you got such a good report. It is always good when the o/s is happy with you. I have taken flexeril for shoulder pain and it worked really well. Muscle relaxer. Maybe that will help at night with sleep, too. I am so impressed with you being able to get up without using your hands. It is a habit for me now that I need to break. Today was my last p/t. I am a little frightened of the idea of being on my own. My surgery for the right knee is scheduled for June 11th and I will start all of this over again. You are at an advantage in that you got it all done at once. Yours was much harder to do but at least you don't have to face it again!
 
Well, waiting in airport to travel and smoosh my granddaughter allllll over!! I'm really, really excited!! I've noticed quite a remarkable improvement since starting the Flexiril, I feel quite a bit looser and move much freer. It doesn't seem to knock me out too much, either. It's provided a reasonable amount of pain relief as well.

My HR called today to let me know they normally terminate employment when someone transitions from short to long term disability - nice. She wasn't sure what was happening with me because they hadn't heard from the insurance carrier. I can't get anyone to contact me from the insurance company to verify continuation of benefits - it feels like a time bomb ticking with bills just waiting. I really detest this kind of runaround. I expect a formal notice of termination next week, but there's really nothing I can do about it, I'm just not at the point of going back. All in all, a lot of aggravation and frustration.

Hubby and I are planning on heading back to Connecticut in two weeks time. I'm debating over riding with him, hopefully it'll be fine by then to do so - it's an 18 hr drive, so really gotta make sure before setting out. Oh well, I have time to think about it.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Any word from insurance yet?? My fingers and toes are crossed for you!
Jacki


BTKR 01/14/2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom