MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I RETURN TO WORK ON TUESDAY!!!!! Doc is doing the recommended phased return, I printed a copy and took with me. Next week Tues-Thurs 4 hrs per day, week after Mon-Wed-Fri 4 hours per day, week after Tues-Thurs full days, 4th week Mon-Wed-Fri full days, then full duty beginning week 5. My HR LOVED the plan, thinks it makes perfect sense. She's kicked it up to the new person that's my boss (my two previous have left the company during my time off) awaiting his determination, and we go with what he says. Hopefully, he's on board as well - I will find out for sure no later than tomorrow morning. THEN I can ask, what does this reduced schedule do to my pay rate?? ;)

HUBBY IS NOT HAPPY!! He couldn't even speak when I told him I was released, he just flat had it in his mind I'd be off indefinately. He kept saying, "I'm just stunned, I'm stunned." Oh well, he will need to adjust, I guess. I'm pretty darned excited to tell you the truth. I'm anxious to get back to regular life right about now. I've bought several pair of very low heels to wear, and have been practicing walking around in them - sounds silly, but hey, I've gotta feel like I look professional in front of clients and such. I'll keep flats with me at all times, though. They have these nifty portable fold-a-flats at the drug store now that I can carry in my purse.

I told doc I've went on the long walks, and going to the gym a couple of times giving him a run down of the exercises. I'm doing very light weight/resistance, focusing on proper form and number of reps. He's THRILLED with the progress since my last visit. He's THRILLED I'm on no meds other than Tylenol here and there and possibly a Dilaudid once or twice a week. He checked, my ROM is right at 105 both knees, BOTH knees extension is right at ZERO - I've literally gained about 10 degrees since my last visit!!!!!! Woo Hoo!!!!! He said I totally made his day with how well I'm doing right now. He agreed with my perspective - I'm not disabled, I am hampered. I explained I think my issue is endurance - being able to walk far or do very much at one time without pain and swelling. I said I thought that'd improve the stronger I got, and he agreed. So, full steam ahead I guess.

My next appointment won't be for three months unless I have any issues. I think with the swelling and pain that I do have, I need to treat consistently with elevating and icing, NOT doing stuff I know that'll irritate it, and just move forward. We'll see how the new boss works with me, he's in Atlanta. The local guys have already offered to handle the very involved field work for me which is really great of them. That takes a huge load off initially.

So, packing tonight for flying to CT tomorrow morning, then flying back on Monday :) In a lot of ways, I like the idea that hubby and SD will be up there for awhile - then I can get my work feet under me so to speak, and just worry about ME initially. On rough days, I can just come home and collapse if need be.
 
Thats great news Blue . Im so happy for you. You really deserve good news. Now be careful and remember to elevate and ice after work . Best wishes Iceman
 
Okay, received the official ok from corporate benefits department and new boss. My return on Tuesday is fully confirmed. Verified with HR that I can be on computer in hours outside those specified on doctors release, I will be paid for hours worked until I return to full duties in five weeks - I'm typically salary plus commission. It's good to have the details worked out, going back without questions.

I've found since being back in Connecticut I am SO much stronger than six weeks ago!! I can go up and down the stairs pretty normally, foot over foot. I've been on a nice long walk down the railroad tracks - says a lot because the ground is really uneven. Went and did grocery shopping this morning, held pretty strong until I had to stand still in line, the standing gets me pretty quick still. I'm off all meds now except Tylenol here and there, combined with elevating and icing when needed. I can't get over the difference now versus my last trip here!

Just spoke with co-worker, I will be working from home Tuesday even, no need to go into office, woo hoo!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
You are doing terrific. Good luck with your return to work. It does bring back the normalcy I think. Let us know how you make out!
 
Just spoke with co-worker, I will be working from home Tuesday even, no need to go into office, woo hoo
WHOOO HOOOOO I am SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! :dancy::spin::dancy::spin::dancy::spin::dancy:
Just so happy you are finally getting some good news!!!
 
@Bluetechseeker I
Ihave read all your posts and cannot begin to comprehend all that you have been through, physically and emotionally! I, too, am in a dilemma regarding job situation and my husband us currently unemployed. I will be at 4 weeks post op for TLKR as of this coming Tuesday. I had one my front office specialist walk off the job lastThursday morning, and her daughter who schedules all procedures and precepts for all tests quit today,
So I had to go back to work this past Tuesday . Way too early to go back but I also could have could have been fired. With the pain, not much time to do my exercises, and not being able to sleep, I am a big mess,

I am praying that all things will work out for you. You have way too much going on while you are supposed
To be recovering. I am so sorry. Please keep me informed, I am praying for you!
 
On my gosh, there were some posts in between and when I clicked on "read more posts " I found out your wonderful news !, I am do very happy for you! Keep in touch and let us know how you and your job sre doing !
Blessings to you!
 
@Bluetechseeker I was just catching up on your progress. Sounds like you are making good progress. Good luck with the return to work. Take it easy and don't overdo.
 
Good luck Blue! I wish you much success. Xoxoxo
 
Hey Blue - excellent news for you, have been catching up on you today and it all sounds so good. Know once you get your mind on work topics you will start to think a little less about your knees, but take it easy and remember to be kind to them. You are making great progress.
I have been interviewing for professional jobs lately and it's kind of funny being able to fool them in these interviews like nothing happen to me 4 months ago. Thank goodness there was an elevator to their 3rd flood office phew! No offers yet, but I have a whole bunch of things happening and it does the mind some good to start believing in myself again. Only 2 PT visits left, then doctor says I can do by myself. Wow to be free of PT visits that is weird to feel?
Keep me posted on work, how you feel, energy level, early to bed???
 
Well, I got back from CT yesterday mid-afternoon. I'm really sore and feel swollen this morning, very happy to be working from home this first day back. I've been taking Tylenol every four hours or so, elevating, and will be firing up the Kodiak unit as well.

I sure could tell how much stronger I was this time! I actually walked all over at the falls, climbing over some rocks and stuff. I did NOT take any chances or try to really push myself - I was consistently amazed just how different several weeks can be, though.

Thank you for all the well wishes, they're totally appreciated :) I'll be doing more computer work tomorrow, planning on going in on Thursday, but we'll see. I have a TON of paperwork to catch up on, and web-based training. Heaven knows, I'll have no issue filling my time right now even just staying PUT!!
 
Hi!!! Waving wildly!

I've been dealing with a lot over here so my knees have taken a back seat for a bit.

What an up and down cycle of posts, Blue, over the past month or six weeks! It was like a novel - I laughed, I cried, I screamed in outrage, etc....

Sending you strength and hugs and can't wait to hear how work is going!

Jacki


BTKR 01/14/2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
For all the dad's out there, Happy Father's Day!!

@JackiFL it's GREAT to hear from you!!!! Are you making it through ok?? Whatcha' doin these days, girl??

@2hips2knees Thank you!! One word following my 1st week of work:

EXHAUSTING!!!!!

wow, who'd have thought basically sitting at home but concentrating on work stuff would take so much out of you??? Holy moly, the days have blurred together. I've put in roughly about 32 hrs this week, though, AND did an actual site survey (a small one) on Thursday, in low heels none the less. I haven't suffered any unexpected ill effects from anything - by that I mean, being a bit sore the day after the gym, or a bit tight after all the walking during the survey. But, it seems to be going okay. I'm trying to get in the swing of waking between 0600 - 0700 hrs (REALLY REALLY difficult), but have zero issues hitting the hay around 10 pm. Best part is I've been sleeping like a ROCK (well, except for last night, but that had zero to do with working).

One thing I must keep in mind when out and about is that I..AM..SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW. The customer I met, I swear, was a speed walker!! He kept getting way ahead of me and I just couldn't keep the pace with him. He finally slowed a bit, and afterwards we were chatting, he seemed a bit put out or something - I explained I'd just returned from extended medical leave, that I'd had BOTH knees replaced. I told him, "so, congratulations, YOU'RE my first appointment!!" He started chuckling, like "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" - Boy, talk about something immediately dissolving his attitude! I think HE thought I was just dragging along, almost wasting his time or something. Once I told him that little bit, he totally relaxed. So, the lesson learned for me is to speak up and let them know sooner if they're moving too fast right now!!!! In my minds eye, I think I LOOKED pretty okay walking along, so I'm fine with being slow right now - speed will come in time :) This week, I'm due to work M/W/F for 4 hrs each day, and can otherwise do as much on the computer as I want to fill hours. I have lots to work on, so we'll see how it goes. I have another customer survey tomorrow morning that I'm looking forward to.

I've went to the gym twice this past week - I will NOT go on the days I have customer survey, though - it'd be too much. The first time, it was obvious I did too much later that night when I kept waking in pain. This last time I cut my efforts by about a third, had no pain, just a little stiffness which I expected. I'm doing very low resistance/weights but multiple sets w/reps. For example, on leg extensions I use 30# weight (the lowest), do 3 or 4 sets of 10 reps depending how it's feeling. I tend to feel this in the stupid IT band on my left knee (it's STILL giving me fits, has since the MUA's!!) I don't do anything that feels uncomfortable and move on if anything just isn't feeling good.

I haven't needed pain meds other than Tylenol, and have only taken that a few times- I'm on no other medications at this point. I'm elevating while home, and have hauled the Kodiak unit out a couple of times, or used gel packs. The pain behind my knees and on the sides is still there, what are ya gonna do? So, I'm concentrating on gently stretching and strengthening my hamstrings and quads. I noticed last night that I can REALLY stretch my legs now, the muscles totally engage and it feels AWESOME. I'd forgotten just how good a nice stretch feels :) OH! AND - I can comfortably trim my toe nails now, I thought that was HUGE!! My flexion on both knees is almost 110, the extension is right at zero - 2 or so (right still isn't perfectly straight).

All in all, I'm finding it miraculous how returning to work can so totally shift my mental well being. The interaction with fellow adults is great, using my brain and figuring stuff out is awesome, and it's a blessing my employer is working with me and my restrictions right now. It takes such an enormous load of worry off both hubby and I. It does suck though because hubby wanted to summer in CT, but like I told him - he cannot carry the load by himself right now, we have to do what we have to do (unless he actually won the lottery ;))
 
Wow.....wonderful report!!! You are doing a good job of listening to your body and balancing the rest and activity. That's exactly the way to have a successful recovery and I think you're going to have just that. Fabulous!!!
 
I'm doing well - babysitting the grandkids a few days a week and one overnight. Still can't get down on the floor easily and still no kneeling (interesting to wash the tub while standing lol - definitely got plenty of stretching while doing that) but managing to get most things done.

I can stand. I can walk. I don't complain much. I'm usually sore and painful (when I do too much) but Aleve takes care of it for the most part.

Definitely nice to be able to walk thru Publix now and avoid the electric carts. Glad they were there when I needed them but get the shopping done SO much faster on my own two feet, you know?

We went to the beach with the kids on Memorial Day and I actually carried both of them from the blanket to the water without stumbling. I told my grandson that I couldn't and he told me, "Yes, you can, Memere. You STRONG!" I just laughed and picked them up! Gotta love a three year old and his faith in his grandmother!

Heading to a follow up appt with my primary care doc this afternoon. Her father had BTKR done last June so she's been a wonderful cheerleader for my recovery.

My OS is still not back to work (as far as I know) so I don't have an appt there. Don't care for his PA and that's who I'd have to see while he's out. Ugh.

We flew to MA last week and I walked thru all the airports. I did tell TSA that I had two knee replacements - only once (out of four times) did I get patted down and it was only my right knee that time.

How were your airport experiences?

Hugs,
Stay strong,
Jacki


BTKR 01/14/2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi, @JackiFL it's great to hear from you!! It sounds like life is just moving along, hopefully with as few bumps as possible. I stay kind of surprised with the on-going pain and tightness, but there's not a whole lot else I can do about it. I have left messages at a chiropractors office to discuss possible deep tissue massage - if that'd help the pain in my IT bands or behind my knees. That'd be awesome if it helps - I'm waaaaay over those issues.

My flight back from CT last week was fine, I walked through the Hartsfield CT airport as well as Orlando International (it's A LOT bigger!!). My issues arise if I have to stand somewhere - if I keep moving, I can tolerate more at the time. If I have to just stand there it doesn't take a whole lot for me to be over it.

I've actually practiced kneeling several times with success - at first, the sensation is WEIRD - not painful, just really odd. It's not anything I try doing often, but I confess to just being dang curious what I can and can't do! I've also been practicing getting up and down from the floor and haven't gotten stuck yet, hee hee. I was with my little grand baby about a month ago, and no way you could've paid me to carry her down their stairs but I was sure hanging onto her all over everywhere else. Ohhh, I so totally agree about the shopping, too!! I do better if I have a cart, so I always grab one even if I'm only picking up a few things. OH! I can actually get in and out of the bath pretty normally now, too - I don't have to haul my whole body with my arms anymore :)

All in all, obviously I'm not 100% but TREMENDOUSLY further along than a couple of months ago. If the massage helps, it would be such a relief to just HAVE relief, but we'll see.

Enjoy your grandkids, I can't wait till mine can spend the summer with granny :) If you need bolstering, encouragement, support, or whatever, always look me up!! We're in the same boat - sink or swim, we WILL get there!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom