MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to hear from you @Bluetechseeker - I'm sorry it's not with a better report. I'm very sorry to hear about being denied the VA benefits and that you're still waiting on a LTD decision. Hopefully you're hear something soon and hopefully it will be in the affirmative!

Now, onto the pain and swelling. I know that everyone says that you have to reset your 'clock' when you have an MUA, so you're not really 6 months post TKR but just 3 months post MUA. In that regard, everything you're feeling is normal (doesn't make it any less annoying, I know). I have experienced all that you've got going on right now.

The pain behind the knees and radiating down towards your shins are your hamstrings. The good news is that they hurt because you are taking 'proper' steps and stretching them. It will help a bit if you ice behind your knees and it will lessen in time. I had pain back there with every step and it made me not want to walk, but it's gotten much better and rarely flares up now. The camel hump above your knee? Well, I had that too and no one could explain it. It doesn't hurt, it's just there and annoying. It has lessened substantially and I barely notice it any more. The clunking and clicking and what I call 'robot parts' are because as your internal swelling dissipates, 'things' start moving around more freely without the pressure of the swelling inside. Mine doesn't hurt at all, but can definitely be felt with every step.

You WILL continue to improve. I promise you that. I've had a LONG and rough recovery and taken longer than most to make the simplest advances, but even I have had improvement with all that you've listed. The tight band feeling is absolutely normal. I had mine forever and I just started to notice a couple of weeks ago that it is no longer there (thank goodness). As for climbing on ladders .... :holysheep:. Don't do that! It's great that you're able to ride your bike and all else, but remember that you're on a 're-do' so just 3 months out. I think you're doing great. This is an annoyingly long journey and frustrating beyond belief at times. I miss the 'old' me as well. Now I just feel like the 'old me' (as in, I'm 90). We'll get to where we want to be, it's just that everyone's journey is different.

I hope my telling you about my little improvements with the things you're going through now helps put your mind at ease a bit.
 
@DogLoverx3 I sure appreciate hearing what I'm feeling is NOT out of the ordinary!! Thank you SO much for sharing, it really does help. And, I totally forgot about my clock resetting after the MUA's, DOH!! :headbang:

I know I've been concentrating on my gait and proper flexion when I'm up and about. I've been able to take the right's extension from about 15 or so to right at 2 now; Josephine said walking properly was the best thing, and boy was she right!! I've hoped the pain was hamstring and for a GOOD reason. I've got ice gel packs that I've been using on the backs of the knees, they've been heaven sent for sure. I've tried heat in behind, but it's not anywhere near as effective. OH, and it wasn't a ladder but a little two stair step stool - I was tickled I could step up onto it with no issues or support. The clunking does NOT hurt at all, and there's NO instability - it's just weird because I can definitely feel things clunking in there and if THAT means swelling is leaving, woo hooooo!!!! :egypdance:

Ellen, I really, really needed to hear your fast response tonight. I've been on the verge of tears yet again so frustrated and looking at the calendar, wondering when is this ever just going to be DONE. A good part of that is the financial concerns, true, but I'm just physically, emotionally, and mentally exhausted by it all right now, too. I need to really give myself a pep talk and get something positive working in the ol' brain right now, I've just been so very despondent and depressed these last few weeks, argh!
 
WOW I have been amazed at what I've just read @Bluetechseeker and @DogLoverx3 What an inspiration knowing you have both experienced the exact same thing! I just want to jump in and say Blue I am very happy for you knowing you will be ok...I didn't know what to say to help you. I was so glad to read Doglovers response to you!:yes!:
:flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile: Here's to you feeling better and everything beginning to move in a positive direction for you!!!!
 
Hi @Bluetechseeker
Thank you for writing. I am so sorry you are having so many problems with meds, swelling, pain, stiffness etc. When do you see your doctor next? I wonder if you've thought of getting a second opinion or if you're happy with your doctor's answers. I feel bad the meds made you so sick and that you are still needing the muscle relaxers but hope they give you some relief. You are doing great on your bike but not standing for long periods of time. I hope you get some answers soon to the swelling and the pain. Some of the things that my pt told me to do that may help: roll a tennis ball or rolling pin over your thigh muscle. And to rub a dry washcloth over the outer part of my knees where the skin is numb. It will stimulate the nerves and increase blood flow to the area for healing. Not sure if that will work for you. If the skin is too sensitive resting your arm on the scar it may not feel better. Just ideas to help in future.
Your dogs sound wonderful and loving. They are good medicine for sure!
I will pray for your healing and hope your doctor will help you. Reach out to a new doctor if necessary to check you. Your recovery has been long and you have worked so hard. I am thinking of you always every day. Let me know how tomorrow goes. Glad you can sleep in bed. :)
 
Your extension is wonderful! Keep up the great work! I'm so glad that my post helped you feel a bit better. There are days when I think I'll never get back to 'normal' and although I am very happy for those that have quick recoveries, I do envy them and then subsequently have a bit of a pity party for myself so I know exactly where you're coming from and wanted you to know that you're not alone and that what you're experiencing is our 'dues'. ;-) Heck, if even I can improve, then anyone can!

Keep concentrating on your gait and as your extension gets more stable and constant, the hamstring pain will slowly fade. It's a killer though, I know. I still can't believe you got up on a step stool! I did that last week and was a nervous wreck and I only had 1 knee done! I also tried to kneel as well - that didn't work out so hot. I'm so impressed that you were able to and then obviously were able to get back up! That's something to be proud of!

I know the financial side of all of this certainly doesn't help the situation, but I can relate to that as well. Just know that you're doing great and even though you're not noticing it, you're improving little bits each and every day. I bet if you look back to even 2 weeks ago, you'll realize that you're improving.

Try not to get too down in all of this. It will be over sooner than later and you will be able to get back to what you want to be doing (I tell you this because I have to remind myself of this many many times a day when I get frustrated and just want to give up).
 
@Bluetechseeker, thank you so much for your post. It was actually encouraging to me as we had our BMUAs around the same time and I have been very low, not wanting to post anything because I feel like I should be doing so much better. My pain has been terrible, walking is very painful (I still have to use a walker), and I am so frustrated with the stiffness and the ROM seemingly at a standstill once again (around 105 max). So no, you are not alone, and thank you again for posting your frustrations. It was also good to hear from @DogLoverx3 the reminder that everything starts over with an MUA. I pray things will start looking better for both of us soon!
 
@2hips2knees, while I'm not happy you're also struggling and frustrated, I'm so glad I'm not alone!! Your ROM is darned near the same as mine, too. While I don't need to use the walker or cane, walking/standing for any duration is painful. I'm going to have a sincere heart-to-heart with my OS on Tuesday, I'm also seriously considering a 2nd opinion. I think we should start our club for everyone that has a more prolonged recovery than "typical". Regardless of the reason why, this is jut not rolling along like envisioned, that's for sure. Hang in there with me, we WILL get there - eventually, for sure, but we WILL. I dreamt last night OS said I had to have ANOTHER MUA, and he did right then right in his office - I woke with heart palpitations and mouth open ready to scream!! This week before my appointment is always sooooooooo stressful for me!! I play too many mind games with myself, geesh.

Today, VERY stiff and sore - I rode my bike twice yesterday, must've been too much. I've been up more, too, helping hubby get ready to leave very late tonight. It's been a struggle all day - even just sitting here elevated hurts.

By power of elimination and trial-and-error, I've deduced my illness last Friday and a minor repeat today is due to an allergic reaction to the new muscle relaxer. Last Friday I was the sickest I've been in my entire adult life - ferocious migraine and violent sick stomach - I stayed that way ALL day, not able to keep even water down, any movement started another violent attack which only made the migraine worse. I'd been on the new muscle relaxer for four days, 3x a day, and had felt basically okay and that it seemed to help some with the pain behind my knees. After being so sick Friday, I stopped ALL meds even Tylenol, didn't try anything again until day before yesterday and took Dilaudid 4mg twice will no ill effects - okay, so far so good, didn't take any more of them. Last night, took 1 muscle relaxer around 8pm, started getting itchy around 10pm, then woke this morning with another migraine starting, and found more hives. This morning was not near as bad as last Friday, but obviously, no more muscle relaxer for me, it's just NOT worth it. So, I'll call OS office tomorrow and let them know AND check the status of paperwork for LTD.
 
Hey Blue, sorry to hear about your situation. I cant even Imagine going through that. But try to stay upbeat . You deserve to get well and you have tons of well wishers. All will sort itself out. Just checking in on you, have you heard from Jacki ? Im doing great , not one complaint . Blessed here in california . Iceman
 
@icep707 it's so good to hear from you!! I'm really, really pleased that you're doing so well :) I wish I was more on YOUR path than the one my knees decided for me, but it is what it is. I haven't heard from Jacki for a while - I'll need to rattle her cage. If memory serves, she promised she and I would go swimming at her pool, she's about a half hour south of me. I think you've given me a project for tomorrow, thank you!!
 
What a nightmare to dream of another MUA ... right there in the doctor's office! I confess the thought has crossed my mind. ..not any time in the near future, but I still wonder if I will need another procedure of some type. This level of pain and stiffness this far out just doesn't seem reasonable, does it?

And to be allergic to the one thing that seemed to be helping you! I wonder if a different muscle relaxer might work?
 
@2hips2knees YEAH!! It was a dream I don't care repeating, that's for sure!! Unfortunately, this is the 2nd muscle relaxer that's a no-go - I have A LOT of medication sensitivities. I can no longer take Celebrex or Flexiril, either. For me, the salvation has been icing and elevating - and, I am sooooooooooooo tired of icing. I'm curious what doc will say when I call and tell them tomorrow. OH! The other lovely thing happening now? Absolute impossibility of actually SLEEPING - I cannot fall asleep to save my soul, as soon as I try laying down, I'm more wide awake than I had been all day and I am NOT napping, either. Up until almost two last night, slept till seven. Up until after four the night before, slept until eight. Now, I'm cranky and irritable already, but add sleep deprivation on TOP of that, and it is not a pretty picture. No wonder hubby's running for the hills!! ;)

I don't know, but I just think everyone experiences pain in a different manner - the pain YOU feel may actually be tolerable to me, and vice versa. I know I've discussed this with OS at each appointment, but we're really restricted trying medications because I have such horrible reactions to so many of them - I think that's a large reason he didn't hesitate to do the MUA's when he did - no way to help fight through anything, just do it and get it done. As DogLover said, consider the last couple of weeks and see what progress has been made. With this recovery, I've become intensely focused on NOW - I should be way more focused on next week or next month. I've also become quite despondent and morose at home, it's horrible and I feel it could actually be a bit of depression (I'll be speaking with doc about that as well). Definitely discuss your pain concerns with your doctor and make sure he's LISTENING - that's my plan, anyway. Let me know what his thoughts are and I'll do the same for you :)
 
I'm so sorry you have such problems with medicines! I can't imagine going through this without my hydrocodone.

I can completely relate to the sleep problem too! Sometimes it's because I'm in pain or just uncomfortable, but sometimes there doesn't seem to be any reason at all. Very frustrating!

I sure hope you get some answers from your surgeon, and yes, please let me know what he says. I don't see my OS until August.
 
Well, the updates for today....

Finally fell asleep around three thirty, up at nine thirty. Called OS office, they still showed NO communication or documents from insurance about LTD. I sent a nasty email to insurance, with OS office CC'd, and within two minutes insurance called. He said he actually spoke with "someone" at OS office last Friday and they'd received the paperwork. I asked who, he had no idea - sounds too fishy, quite frankly. BUT, he did take the opportunity to reiterate that IF this is a pre-existing condition (it is) and IF I sought treatment within 3 months of starting at employer (I did) then the LTD is DENIED. <sigh> I told him twice, I'm simply trying to ensure ALL information is provided so that everything can be properly reviewed, which is precisely what I'm doing.

Called my HR, she called back after a bit. I asked when FMLA started, it was March 4, and technically it has ALREADY expired - she said she's holding anything further until my appointment on Tuesday. She made a comment about at least I have LTD, and I told her I DON'T - have had zero since April 6, and gave her the above info. She's getting with the plan administrator then they will follow up with insurance. I also asked if they'd accept work restrictions, she said YES, they just really want me back. No special forms, my OS needs to write specifically what restrictions there are on his letterhead then sign and date - after she receives that information, we'll know more. I asked since FMLA has expired, they could actually just fire me, right? She said yup, but they really want to wait until after my appointment on Tuesday. So basically - IF I am not returned to work on Tuesday, I'm fired. IF I'm returned with restrictions, I can totally still be fired. IF I'm returned with no restrictions, and I hobble in and can't do my job, I will still be fired. No pressure, right?????? :banghead: OH - and received the official letter of denial for VA benefits yesterday, I'm prior Army. THAT'S great, too, right????
 
I am so sorry, Blue! What a confusing mess! I can't imagine how you would be able to work at this point. Hopefully you will get better news soon.
 
(((Hugs))). I hope things start to work out for you. It is a shame that in this country we have to worry about losing our jobs and not getting paid. My company has decided to fire you after 8 weeks of disability - no FMLA. I get my second knee done in September and hope that its a good recovery. Take care and let us know how you make out!
 
<shudder> well, tomorrow is the day - will I be released to work? Will they accept the restrictions from doc? Or, will they say "thanks, but no thanks" and then I'll be heading north to CT early Wednesday morning????? Eesh, I can hardly stand the wait. Hubby is still in denial that I'll be released, he's making all these plans for me being up there for the summer. The contract he has with his large customer is still very, very tenuous, I'm concerned it'll just be cancelled flat out any day, as is hubby. While it'd be great to veg out in CT all summer, the cold hard fact is we aren't independently wealthy, we need a steady income, and we darned sure need to retain my insurance!!

I'm trying to wrap my brain around actually going back to work, it's very, very odd. My job was both very physical, and very technical, with a lot of driving, a lot of walking, climbing stairs, surveying high rises and hospitals - it can be more than exhausting. I'm also the person responsible for preparing the proposals, then presenting the technical solution to our customers in a very large territory (hence, a lot of driving!). I can't tell you how self-conscious I am right now at the idea of meeting with customers again, I'm almost petrified! I'm unsure how my OS should phrase any restrictions, I don't think the phased return to work would be the most helpful to me right now. I know I can't jump in 100%, I'm just not physically able to yet. I don't know if it's best to request shorter hours, or specifically limited activities, or a combination of both initially?? Any suggestions would be hugely helpful. I know I cannot do the large surveys, nor can I drive the 4 - 6 hrs per day that I was previously doing, at least, not yet. I need to make sure the restrictions are proper, but must also really try having them be something my employer will accommodate. My fear is my OS will list these really restrictive activities/hours, and they'll just say, "no", especially since FMLA has legitimately expired. <sigh> Oh well, at least the wait is almost over. My appointment is at 1345 hrs tomorrow, should know something from OS and employer by three or so, I'd think.

OH! I actually received a letter from insurance today saying I'M delaying the process!! The GALL of that freakin' company!!! I'm taking that plus the paperwork received last week to the doc's with me, let them confirm what they've received/completed/returned, if anything. That kind of stress I just do NOT need, I'll tell ya.
 
Blue - so sorry you are going thru all this. Can a lawyer help? You are in my thoughts. Xoxo
 
Hi, @Jozilla I've turned my insurance policy over to a disability attorney - on first blush, he agrees that I don't qualify based on this being a pre-existing condition AND receiving treatment within three months of starting for current employer. My hope is OS will release me to work with appropriate restrictions, and that employer accepts that. If they don't and terminate me, at least I can apply for unemployment - I can't do that right now because technically I AM employed and not released to work. It's just a big ol' grey hole I'm in right now, very frustrating.

I've printed the recommended phased return to work and am taking that with me today - fingers crossed, lets see what happens ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom