MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Blue - what a life saver of ideas you are to me! Thank you for such wonderful advice on running errands. My PT said to park next to the place where the carriages are and take one to use like a walker into the store. I dont have a temp handicap parking tag - how did you get that? from your OS?

Funny my IT band is tight on my right knee just the opposite of you, so crazy how are bilaterals move back and forth with pain or healing. My PT showed me an illustration today of the IT band and why the surgery affected it so much, no wonder it's angry from the OS moving it so much. And the fact that it is tissue not a tendon is wierd too. But with time it will loosen up because before surgery it never hurt. I have faith it will heal and loosen with time and PT and exercise and TLC.

Thank you so much for your helpful advice. It means so much.
Did you decide to fly to CT and not drive? Take care and enjoy you wonderful coffee. Stay in touch. Sending you healing thoughts and a restful night. Kim
 
@newkneesNH, Yes! When I first started going out solo, I also used a cart to walk in with! It really helped, then I didn't need my cane or walker at all. For the temporary sticker, my OS had to complete a form which I took to our tag office. There was a small fee, but the sticker is good through August. If I should get another one for whatever reason in the next year, it will be free. Frankly, I haven't used it every time I'm out. If there are spots close enough, I will just park there. But, if not then I will definately use it. I had the same thing after the previous knee surgeries, but quit using the sticker when I could get around fairly well - I figured others worse off needed the space more than me. I think the most important thing is keep your trips simple and short at first, it feels like you've almost got to readjust to them. Set yourself up for success :)
 
Just checking up on you! Sounds like you got this and are rocking and rolling. I again want to thank you for helping me so much when I was so scared before surgery! YOUR help was so sweet. You calmed my fears so much!

Rolling pin on thighs? Why does that sound painful??
 
:)@Bluetechseeker I am handling things like you, plan my trips, make several short trips etc. Yesterday, the first time since sx, I did my half day volunteer work at the grandkid's school. Had full intentions of stopping at the grocery store on the way home but so exhausted I just came home and iced/elevated, pain pill!

Today I was able to work for five hours plus drive myself home and so far its not near as bad as last week when I went for PT then to work for four hours and I didn't drive myself!

You just have to do what you can and feel like doing without pushing yourself too far and overdoing it.
We will beat this thing and in a year we will have forgotten all we have had to endure!!! NOT!!! :loll:
 
@Karringtyn, it's amazing how GOOD the rolling pin felt! I guess my nerves are super sensitive right now, I can't stand the sensation of actual rubbing on my knees/thighs. But, the rolling pin worked like a charm.

Thank you, I'm so glad I could be a source of support for you. It's so scary before surgery! You're doing so well now. Doesn't it feel awesome to regain the freedom of driving, running around a bit?
 
@2014knees, I think the key to recovery is the planning and not over doing things! You must've enjoyed the school today, though - so much more fun than a grocery store, hee hee. I have high hopes for where I will be in a month or so. No way am I ready for work yet, but hopefully will be lots closer by then. It's silly, but I'm looking forward to conquering that flight of stairs!! I'm going to use them to stretch my bend as well. Hubby's already committed to daily walks, weather and stamina permitting.
 
My PT had me simply use a rolling pin, gently rolling up and down my thighs as I was working on my bend. It really helps loosen the muscles up as you go. After my MUAs my thighs were screaming sore, this was just the ticket to working through it. I also used Absorbine Jr for the first week or so. I find even now, if I feel really tight, doing some rubbing like the rolling pin did helps immediately.
 
Today's observation - I have NOT needed meds at all today except when I first woke up! I took my 100 mg Celebrex and 1000 mg Tylenol. The rest of the day, I truly haven't needed anything. I've ridden my bike three times, ten minutes each (great feeling since moving the seat closer), went to drug store, then a short trip to dollar store. Enough activity for one day when combined with a bit of straightening up and running a dust broom in my kitchen. I'd love not needing Tylenol throughout the day, so will go with it and see how I do.

Last night, I couldn't fall asleep to save my soul. Went to bed around eleven thirty, tossed around until twelve thirty, got up and watched a bit of TV, back to bed around two, then tossed around until around three. Eesh, this is going to be tricky sleeping then getting up in time to get to the airport Monday morning, need to be there by eight. And, I've started taking a sleeping aid! Got up this morning around nine thirty - I used to be up and about by five thirty every morning.

Hubby sent pictures of pooches playing in the snow :). They love it! He's gotten the chimney cleaned so we can use the fireplace when I get up there. He's also getting the electric updated so we can use space heaters, the home is from 1860 and has had very little done to it. Water is also on, so he's getting everything up and running nicely.
 
Not being able to go to sleep is awful. I have battled that for years. It was so nice after surgery because the hydrocodone knocked me out. I actually looked forward to going to bed at night!

That is wonderful that you haven't needed anything for pain! You are making progress!!!
 
Well, it appears the sleep aid is about as useful as my roller blades right now. Again last night, up until almost two - I can't even feel the medication. I tried going to bed around eleven thirty, but shortly after laying down, my legs were all twitchy jerky, had to keep moving. I got up and layer on couch, elevating - same sensation. So, at one thirty I got on my bike and pedaled for a good ten minutes. Went directly to bed, and finally fell asleep after about ten minutes - legs could finally be still. So, from now on when I feel like that, I'm getting up and doing a little something instead of just thrashing around forever.
 
@saltyal, yep JUST when I start getting cocky, like "yeah, we're rolling now!", the knees flex their control muscle and put me firmly in my place! If nothing else, this will definately help to tone and strengthen my muscles more - there's always a bright side, huh? :)
 
@Texan , that's so odd that your PT never had you ride the bike until you asked. From everything I've seen and read, it's one of the best exercises for our new knees. Most of us went thru days/weeks of only being able to rock the pedals back and forth before we could do full rotations, so maybe your therapist realizes this and wanted you to be able to skip that frustration and just be able to pedal like a pro! :)

Never got on a bike (even now, 11 weeks post op) - just using the NuStep recumbent machine. Should I try a bike??

Thanks,
Jacki
 
@newkneesNH, Yes! When I first started going out solo, I also used a cart to walk in with! It really helped, then I didn't need my cane or walker at all. For the temporary sticker, my OS had to complete a form which I took to our tag office. There was a small fee, but the sticker is good through August. If I should get another one for whatever reason in the next year, it will be free.

Not sure if it's because I'm in Brevard County but there was no charge for my (permanent) handicapped parking placard. My OS insisted that I take it before my surgery - I'd kept resisting out of pride. In fact, they gave me two. One for my car and one for my purse for when I passenger with others.

I don't always use it but it's nice to have when I need to save my knees for other things than traipsing across asphalt!

Jacki
 
@Bluetechseeker

Have fun on your vacation. Hope the plane ride is ok for you. Sorry you haven't been able to sleep. Maybe the change of scenery will help you sleep better.
 
Well I made it! The wheelchair assistance at Orlando International Airpirt is PHENOMENOL!! Immediate help curbside, then all through airport, my guy even got me a coffee at McDonalds. Landed in Hartford CT, wheelchair was right outside plane door for me. I chose a bulkhead seat for the extra leg room, was able to stretch my legs right out. The end result - arrival with NO pain and NO swelling! They even let hubby meet me at the gate.

I've went up and down the stairs a couple times, I can tell I'm weak going up but that will be remedied quickly enough. No issues coming down, either. :). :). And BOY were the pooches happy to see me!!! They were all trying to be in my lap at the same time, hee hee.

This is definately a change of scenery from Orlando Florida, there's snow and ice, temp is 34 degrees Fahrenheit right now with the low being 24 tonight. Yep, looks like we will build a fire, pop some popcorn, watch a movie, and just snuggle in, ahhhhh.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom