MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, @JackiFL How are you doing??? Well, I received final payout of the short term disability, my doctor has me off work until at least my next appointment, June 3. Right now I have ZERO benefits, the insurance company is reviewing to see if I qualify for long term. The rep said if it was a pre-existing condition or I received treatment for it within three months of starting at my current employer, then I would NOT qualify for long term disability payments through them. So I checked, and I did receive treatment and I've already told them the base condition was arthritis which I've had for years. This REALLY sucks, to say the least. I've been told all along it'd transition automatically from short to long term, and that didn't happen. Now finding out I may well have zero income, I don't know what to do!

I've submitted an application for social security disability, but that takes months. I previously worked on a railroad and submitted a request for a record of all service dates to the Railroad Retirement Board, but again, that will take time. I'm just about as broke as I can be right now after being on partial pay for these months, too. Hubby said not to worry, he could cover if needed, but I can't drain him - those are funds he needs for his business. AND my HR had called to let me know they normally terminate employment when a person transitions from short to long term, too. I'm waiting for a dismissal letter any day now.

I am in a fine pickle, that's for sure. I can't get unemployment because I can't work. I can't get disability because it was pre-existing and I had treatment. What am I supposed to do???????
 
AND - we now have hubbys youngest daughter with us full time, so Connecticut will wait until after my appointment. She's really struggling in school and with her mother, so this is a break for both. Hopefully spending the summer up north will clear her head and she can do what she knows she's supposed to, chances are about 97% that she'll flunk 10th grade. Pretty stressful around these parts, that's for sure.

As far as my knees, though, I think they're the bright light at the end of the tunnel. Being on the Flexiril has made so much difference!! I'm on that three times daily, maybe Tylenol once a day but that's it - totally off narcotic meds and Celebrex!!! Since stopping Celebrex, I've also lost 10# :) My knees feel SO much stronger. I still have swelling directly above my knee caps and behind the knees, but I ice and elevate often. I have the seat the furthest position possible on the bike, and can easily pedal a mile in about 11 minutes (I've started increasing the tension now, too). So, still making progress. Sleeping really well, no problems getting comfortable, either. I fully expect to be well past 100 ROM when I go in June, too.
 
Blue, it encourages me to read your posts. I'm 5 d*mned months out and still having such a rough time. Flexion is about 90-95 I suppose. I still have pain, swelling, stiffness. I can't yet make a full rotation on my bike. I am totally discouraged and can't help but feel that this is going to be just what it is. Everything I do takes so much effort. And now I just found out that I went way over the number of physical therapy visits that I'm allowed on my insurance. So those are out of pocket. Somewhere around $4300 worth. I'm having that all checked into because it seems to me that someone dropped the ball here. That should have been caught by someone.
Anyway.....just the fact that someone else is still having the swelling, etc makes me feel not so alone in this. But you stay so positive. I just sit and cry about it once in awhile. Also, I never would have thought muscle relaxers would have helped. I wonder if they would help me.
Sorry about your job. That really stinks. Had you been there for a long time? Is it even legal to fire someone because of that??
 
Blue - so glad to get an update! Have you tried getting a disability lawyer? Sometimes they are helpful in getting quicker decisions. It makes me so angry to read about your employer. I work for a small company and no FMLA. They are starting a policy if you are out on sick leave or disability eight weeks they can fire you! Doesn't matter if it is knee replacement or cancer. I checked into it and yes it is legal. It just showed me what kind of people I really work for. I know you have a full plate right now but hope you drop by to let us know how things are! We care!
 
I am in a fine pickle, that's for sure. I can't get unemployment because I can't work. I can't get disability because it was pre-existing and I had treatment. What am I supposed to do??????

God Bless you Blue! I am so upset to read about the mistreatment from all the employment issues you are going through and having the problems with your knee doesn't help the situation either! :console2:
I agree with @Jozilla about looking into a disability lawyer! It isn't fair to you...You have enough on your plate.
Also sorry to hear about your husbands daughter maybe not passing 10th grade. That's got to be very discouraging. Hope you have a nice relationship with her. It sure would make things nice for you both!! And I also agree with Jozilla about caring! We do care how you are!!! Let us know how things are going when you can.:friends:
 
@suzzee2000 thank you for your kind words and encouragement!! It really does help :friends:I haven't heard anything further from the insurance company, received the packet to fill out for SSI, and waiting on VA determination. I'm just in the awful grey area - I'm not officially terminated or released for work so can't apply for unemployment, but can't work and have no $$ benefits right now. It's very, very stressful!! Unfortunately, my step daughter is totally focused on herself - we had to go and pick her up at her moms Saturday, she had two wisdom teeth extracted and wanted to stay there. Well, she wouldn't come, threw the dangdest fit, screaming, shreaking, throwing stuff - you'd think she was two instead of almost sixteen, obviously well recovered from her dental work. So she's NOT been happy being back with us. She's still not where she needs to be with school, and really has no gumption to do anything. She keeps lying about homework and assignments being done, it's beyond ridiculous at this point. Hubby makes a point of me not dealing with any of it which is good, but that doesn't stop me from sitting there with a bazillion thoughts running through my mind of what I'd do or say about the whole thing. Very aggrevating. She went out of her way yesterday to not look at me, not say one word directly to me, and certainly not mention Mother's Day, it was very hurtful, but that's what she does. Now, if I offered anything to do with nails, hair, shopping, or eating, man she'd be my best friend - but I refuse to be used. I told hubby today, she and I need to have an understanding because I refuse to be disrespected in my own house, and this is NOT working.

On a much brighter note, we went to the park yesterday and I walked 4.4 MILES!!! Now, that was my limit, but it felt great!!!! Got home, took a nice hot bath, then iced/elevated and I have no bad swelling and no pain at all from it :wowspring:Definitely BIG progress with the knees!! I'm also only using Flexiril (muscle relaxtant) 3x daily and Tylenol maybe once a day. Man, it feels great not being on so many meds, geesh. And, I am sleeping soooooooo good!!
 
Unfortunately, my step daughter is totally focused on
herself
You know that's how everyone seems to be these days....:sad: and it sad......that being said I do understand because I had 6 step children and 3 of my own....this sure has made for some interesting times! Great thing that your husband takes care of the daughter himself! Teenage girls are very difficult if not impossible sometimes to deal with!!!
BUT the good news is the kids grow up and change! :yahoo:

You going on a 4.4 mile walk??? :wow: AWESOME!!! What great news!!!
I understand about not having your own money....that alone is stressful enough let alone the rest!! Please concentrate on healing and hopefully the rest will come into play the way it should. HANG IN THERE!!!!
:flwrysmile:
Flexiril (muscle relaxtant) 3x daily and Tylenol maybe once a day.

I can't wait for that day!! I want to be off meds so much!!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!! :thumb:

Have a great evening and keep walking!!!! :friends:
 
@Bluetechseeker Sorry to hear about all the problems you are having with disability and step daughter. Teenagers can be really a handful. It is good that her dad is stepping in and dealing with the problems she is having.

Wow, 4.4 miles is great. Keep up the good work.
 
@Bluetechseeker, I am so sorry to hear of your troubles with disability. How stressful. I hope things improve soon with your step daughter. I can't imagine dealing with these extra stresses on top of recovering from BTKR! Congratulations on your LONG walk! And then to top it off, you are sleeping AND you lost weight!!!!! :egypdance: You constantly amaze me. You will be in my prayers tonight that everything works out.

Cindy
 
@Texan Cindy, thank you so much! With everything going on, I haven't had much time to be on here and really missed the support and encouragement from everyone. I very much appreciate your thoughtfulness and prayers :flwrysmile:I keep a journal of my exercise, food, etc. I actually weigh three pounds less now than a year ago, I'm very comfortable at my present weight (I'm 5'7 and weigh 132#). The Celebrex had me up some, so when I was able to come off that the extra weight started leaving, plus I drastically reduced my carb and starch intake. Combine that with TONS less swelling and more activity, and BINGO, normalcy is totally returning :yes:

@traveler1 Thank you!! My youngest is 26, and boy did I forget how difficult a teenage girl is, needless to say one that has more emotional stuff going on. I'm very happy, and relieved, hubby handles everything in that arena. I'm sure it'll get better between she and I if only because we're together full time. The walking was awesome, and so enjoyable with the spring weather here - we just made sure to go in the morning before the sun got too hot.

I really, really appreciate the support and encouragement everyone. Thank you so much, it helps tremendously!!
 
Hey blue , just dropping by to say hello , and to hope everything works out for you. You do have a full plate . Everything with me is going great, no complaints. Well best wishes God bless. Iceman
 
Hey, Blue. Glad your knee is doing so well. 4.4 miles is awesome! Wish I could do that. We are neighbors, btw. I live in Indian Harbour Beach, just a tad south of Cocoa Beach. Just wanted to say hello--I've been off and on the knee side since having my hip replaced in April. Actually, the knee is more problematic than the hip at this point--guess knees just takes longer to heal than hips.
 
Checking in on you...I am so sorry things are going crappy as far as disability and such....ugh!!! Great about not having to be on so many meds though.... :)
 
@icep707 , @czak57 and @Karringtyn thanks for checking in on me! A couple of updates....

Called the insurance company today because I STILL hadn't heard anything. My claim manager said they were waiting on my dr's office, they'd left messages with no response, so I called my OS. They have NO record of any contact from the insurance company since my claim manager was assigned - in other words, he's full of ****. So, gave his contact info to OS assistant, she called several times leaving messages each time. I will call back on Monday to ensure he's touched base with her. Geesh!!

As great as Flexiril was working, it looks like it's the end of the road for my miracle pill :( :( I've had a HUGE case of hives yesterday and today, only getting better when I don't take the drug, ****. So, I'm taking Benadryl to hopefully get rid of them, not taking Flexiril, and now taking Tylenol during the day, pain meds at night. I feel very, very sore and stiff, too, can hardly walk I look like the Tin Man again, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!! Yep, I just really quite the cry baby, huh? I can't hardly stand myself right now, goodness knows how hubby has tolerated me.

Yup, @czak57 Cocoa is roughly a half hour to forty five minutes from me :) I'm over on the east side of Orlando, near UCF and Valencia. I love the area you're in! We've been plotting and planning how to live beachside in New Smyrna, but those plans will have to wait until later this fall. We're actually getting ready to head north the end of the month, I'll fly once I have my OS appointment on June 3
 
@Bluetechseeker ~ I can just imagine your frustration with everything. Try not to worry about the LTD. When they do approve you (which they have NO reason NOT to), your benefits will be post-dated back to when your STD ended with no gap in benefits. I know it's very nerve wracking not knowing, but your surgeon still has you written off work, therefore, you're disabled! Ugh. So sorry you're having this added stress.

As for being stiff and painful still - me too. I realized today is my 5 month anniversary with my knee and I am nowhere near where I thought I would be :-( I know it will get better in time, but really? 5 months and I'm still having to take Tylenol and Tramadol ever day and still limping and still feeling pain and the inability to do much of anything? *sigh* Oh whoopsie, I just whined more on your thread than you ever have. Just wanted you to know that you're not alone sweetie. Stay positive and look forward to your fun trip ahead!!
 
Hi @Bluetechseeker - sounds like you have a lot on your plate but that you have a supportive husband and a positive attitude. Sorry to hear about the issues with disability insurance. Hopefully that can get sorted out soon.

4.4 miles already? Wow! That is impressive. Keep up the good work and the positive outlook.

Positive vibes heading your way!
 
Hi @Bluetechseeker It's been awhile since I wrote you. sorry to hear about your insurance issues. Hope it will work out soon. Not fair to have that on top of recovery.

Sorry you have had pain too. I had a stomach reactions to Aleve. So I am not taking Omeprazole for my tummy and Diclolenac 2x a day for pain. I can have tylenol during day if I need. The Diclofenac did not work at first but you have to be on it awhile and then it does the trick. This Friday will be my 4 month mark since surgery, I see the OS on May 30th. I have been doing PT faithfully 2 days a week and on my own at home. I just got to 120 ROM yesterday for both knees. The right knee is my problem one, have to push it harder but its coming. Glad to be off of all pain meds. My head is so much clearer.

I have been looking for a new job and sending resumes out like crazy. Finally heard today I got an interview. I want to go back to work part time, so we'll see what happens. I think I finally have more energy now too.

And the weather here is finally beautiful. I spent a long cold winter inside healing. Love seeing green again instead of snow!! How are your pups doing? How is your hubby - still bringing you ice packs? I feel bad still asking sometimes but I do, my husband is so glad I did both knees hehe. I think about you and am thankful I had you to talk to before and after my surgery - your advice and kindness really got me through some tough days. Thank you, Kim
 
@DogLoverx3 let's hope you're right!! All I know is I've been playing middle man between insurance and OS office, just trying to make sure whomever needs the documents gets them. I'll be calling them tomorrow to check on everything. I do not think I will be approved because this was pre-existing (arthritis), and I sought treatment within three months of starting my employment. Those are specific criteria mentioned, so I'm not holding my breath.

@71Beetle I'll take all the positive vibes I can get right now!! I really appreciate the words of encouragement, thank you so much.

@newkneesNH Bless your heart, I've wondered and wondered how you were getting on!! A big congratulations on your interview, that's wonderful!! And, your ROM is way better than mine - I think I'm at about 100 - but, I have faith it WILL get better. My extension is tremendously better now, I can actually get comfy at night, lay flat, don't need my pillows under my right leg at all any more.

Hubby will be heading north again next week, the pooches will ride with him. I'll fly the following week. They LOVE Connecticut!! They run, roll, and just enjoy being pooches :) They're really the highlight of my days right now, I just love them to pieces. Hubby has been soooo wonderful through all this. He constantly checks how I'm doing, if I need anything, if he can get me ice (MAN, am I tired of icing!!). I'm very fortunate to have such a wonderful, supportive partner.

AFM - well, I quit the Celebrex a few weeks ago because I started swelling from it - lost 12# of fluid in two weeks afterwards, yay! This last weekend, I broke out in hives head to toe because of the Flexiril, so had to stop that. My OS started me on Soma 350mg (he's using that for the bad pain and tightness behind my knees). I've only had today as the first full day on it, so haven't really reached a verdict yet. Other than that, I take regular Tylenol if needed and still elevate and ice A LOT.

I will say, I find it so odd I can go on a 4.4 mile walk, but simply can't STAND in front of the stove to cook for more than five to ten minutes before I become really uncomfortable. I have to keep moving if I'm up, it's the standing still part that kills me.
 
Bluetechseeker so great to hear back from you. I have missed you. I must say I am still sore today from my pt on Monday. I see two different physical therapist, and the male therapist tends to be a bit rougher. He massaged my knee caps - the tissue under and around. Tuesday it hurt to walk and today it is still sore. I have pt tomorrow with the female therapist who is more gentle, but if I am sore tomorrow AM I may cancel. What is the point if my tissue still hurts to make it madder? Besides I think my OS that I see on May 30th, may say no more PT, do the rest on your own. I have been getting that advice from others on this site to do exercises on my own.

I think you have 2 dogs? what kind are they? We have a female Bernese Mt. Dog named Scout. She has stayed by my side since the surgery. Licks my knees when she has a chance. She is so glad the walker, crutches and cane are put away - she was so afraid of them. I have to be careful with her because she is a lot of dog when she comes running at you full force. We have a cat too who has slept with me every night since coming home. If I have a rough night and go to the big bed in guest room the cat always follows me, too cute.

I am able to do the stairs in our house much better now. Can go leg over leg going up, but still two step it coming down, especially if I am carrying something. We have a second stair case in the back of our house that is very very steep, the pt that came to our home had me try it with her on her last visit, so now I am not afraid to use it, but I am super careful. It's good to know if I had to use it, I can do it.

I am glad you are making another trip to CT. We use to live there for awhile in Meriden, my grandparents lived in Guilford. I have such wonderful memories of being there. I hope you have another pain free trip there. And the dogs will love your arrival too!

We have a had a long winter with this Bilateral surgery - you had to endure more than me, bless your heart. It is time to heal and blossom with spring and summer for us. And by next January we can celebrate one year together.

I still get tired by 3-4pm or so at the end of day, call it my sinking spell. Worried what going back to work will feel like? Worried my stamina will be low? I am trying to find part time, think 40 hrs will be hard right now.

Stay in touch and let me know how you are doing ok?
 
hi, @newkneesNH we have three dogs, one 6.5 year old choco lab, one 3 yr old mini schnauzer, and one 3 yr old fuzzy terrier mix that same size - it's quite an assortment, for sure.

Wow, amazing to actually think I'm coming up on my six month anniversary - YUCK this has been a journey and a half. I just don't understand the odd swellings and pains I have, I'm really going to have to pin my OS down on HEARING me and tell me what they are and what the heck will help. I'm getting too sensitive to the meds and simply am coming to the end of the road for taking them. I was the sickest I've ever been in my adult life last Friday, I think from the combo of pain meds and muscle relaxer. So I stopped everything other than Tylenol until today. I've taken only one muscle relaxer (not Flexiril, I'm now allergic to that) and we'll see how it goes.

Left knee - outside of knee, I've kept a knot of swelling that won't go away since MUA. It's very painful when stretched, I think it's the IT band. I also get very stiff and sore behind the knee, the soreness radiates down the back of my calf and makes me feel like I can't bend right. I have a camel hump of swelling above the knee and down the front of my shin that just is THERE - doesn't ever, ever go away regardless of elevating, meds, or icing. The knot on the outside and the pain in the quad are the inhibiting factors for more bend - I jut cannot tolerate the pain.

Right knee - I also get very stiff and sore behind the knee, the soreness radiates down the back of my calf and makes me feel like I can't bend right. I have a camel hump of swelling above the knee and down the front of my shin that just is THERE - doesn't ever, ever go away regardless of elevating, meds, or icing. The pain in the quad and then a pain on the outside between the top and bottom knee part when bending are the inhibiting factors for more bend - it literally takes my breath away and makes me gasp.

Both knees have a very tight band feeling across which I understand is normal. But, I also have tenderness and a lot of weakness in my quads at the point of the end of my incisions - sometimes it hurts to actually lay my arm across them.

I have very little endurance for being up and moving. Standing still, it's okay for maybe five to ten minutes max. Far better to keep moving, but that's when the soreness behind each knees flares and I freeze up and can't hardly walk. I can also feel the knot on the outside of left knee get very tender then, too. Lately, I can feel the knees actually glitching along (if that makes sense?) - not smooth movement, but it makes me think of a marionette puppet the way they feel - very odd.

I have my bike in the closest possible position, can do one mile in about nine minutes and have the tension about midway. I've also been able to kneel a few times - boy is THAT a weird sensation!! I've also climbed a step ladder to get something from a tall shelf. I can totally get comfy in bed, that's such a huge improvement in itself. I think ROM is about 100 for each knee, but it's the surrounding tissues that are hindering more, not the knees themselves.

So, MY million dollar question?? How much more improvement can I expect?? Not necessarily with ROM, but with the pain and tightness?? I'm at my wits end, I just feel like I'm no longer myself for holy sakes. I know the recovery is slow, and long, but - really????? I was formally denied VA benefits today, great - they said household income exceeded their threshold. Um, expected income for this YEAR from hubby was listed at $11,000.00, for me zero. Still haven't had anything final with disability, either.

What was that soap opera opening? "like sands through an hour glass, these are the days of our lives"....que crescendo of harp music <here>
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom