MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Blue, it's so good to hear you're making progress everyday. I really predicate all your tips and tricks. Delaying your return from work is really going to help in your overall recovery. It reminds me the knees are the boss and that I'll have to figure out how to get the cats fed in the morning as they're on a strictly 6 AM schedule. :kittykiss: Enjoy CT and I hope you have a restful trip!
 
@TracyW thank you! So far so good - elevating now with a nice cup of tea. For me, the most difficult part of today was GETTING UP. I was still awake at 0417 hrs this morning, could NOT sleep to save my soul. Had to get up at 0600 hrs, boy I felt awful - drug out and nauseous. I was trying to hustle, get things finished by the time my step daughter came to pick me up - I am not built for speed right now, that's for sure. Being here with hubby, I'm sure I will be out like a light tonight, I just feel soooooooo relaxed now.

Tomorrow will be for getting more organized, getting some things put away. I made a point of doing a lot of nothing after arriving today - we will see what shape I'm in tomorrow. Ah, feeling like vacation mode is setting in :egypdance:
 
So glad your trip went well through airports. Sounds like you're doing well with stairs too coming down is usually harder. Good for you! Welcome to our cooler weather we are so ready for spring. Hope you settle in slowly and can sleep better. Do you have any issues with low furniture, seats on plane, low toilets? I still do so marked traveling harder right now.
Have a restful vacation and change of scene. So happy the dogs were all over you with love!
 
Hi Blue
Glad to hear the airports and flights went well. Glad to hear you have conquered the steps. I know what you mean about about not being built for speed. I used to be an early riser and be showered and dressed before 8:00. I know am crawling out of bed around 8:00 or 8:30, have coffee and breakfast and finally hit the shower around 10:00. I try not to schedule anything in the morning.

Enjoy your vaca and don't forget to rest and elevate. Be careful walking in the snow.
 
Today was so pretty outside! Bright, sunny, about 52 degrees. I've been up and down the stairs about four time - I'm working on my form :blush: Today going up, I could do them normal! Coming down is still sideways, though. I am getting more confident, but know there's lots of area for improvement - I'm not going to say "work" because it's not, this is just life right now.

Been running a couple errands with hubby, doing a lot of elevating, iced this evening after a long soak in the old cast iron claw foot tub. We had a wonderful fire in the fireplace tonight, too. It's so gorgeous in this area, I really miss all the seasons in Orlando. I do have swelling tonight, but I expected that after the travel and the new activity. My soreness is precisely in my quads, where the flex when going up and down. A little on the outside of each knee, maybe because of the extra flexing?

Still having sleep issues, BLECH. Why now, I don't know but it's irritating and frustrating - I just can't fall asleep. Ah, well, that too shall pass in time :angel:
 
I'm so glad to hear that your trip is going well!

Florida weather is still the same; you're not missing anything lol

Jacki


BTKR 01/14/2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi, @JackiFL it's great to hear from you! Today was gorgeous, a little bit warmer than yesterday (it's supposed to be back in low 40's this Friday). Hubby and I walked around the yard (great practice for being on uneven terrain). I only went up and down the stairs twice - I have some major swelling above my knee's that's in THE spot that I feel being worked. So, basically been elevating and resting today. We ran a short errand and I bought some ice gel packs to use while I'm here.

We have actual internet, phone, and cable now - cable is brand new to this area, we are the first house in our neck of the woods to have it. WAY better than trying to use the hot spot on our cell phones, that's for sure.

Tomorrow, we're going into town and getting a PO box. Then, I can make arrangements for all of our mail to be sent while we're here - we still don't know for sure how long that will be. Hubby's thinking staying a month or so, going back to Orlando for a week or two, then back up here. For me, the change of scenery is GREAT - I am missing my bike, though, that's for sure. We haven't been to a place that has the floor pedals yet, but that will be top of my list this next week or so. I don't want to over do things, but it really helps with staying flexible.

OH - I ACTUALLY SLEPT LAST NIGHT!!! :dancy::dancy::dancy::dancy::dancy: From midnight until nine forty five this morning!! :egypdance::egypdance::egypdance: Boy, it felt goooooooooooood, too.
 
Great to hear you are still chugging along. I wonder did the implant set off the metal detector ? Im flying in 3 weeks. Hang in there ! Blue
 
Hi, @icep707 nope, they didn't BUT before going through the scanner, they asked and I told them I had both implants. So maybe they did trigger something but it was overlooked because they were informed?? I dunno - I didn't hear any bells or whistles go off :whistle: If you have ANY doubts or concerns about handling the airport, do yourself a huge favor and just make arrangements for the wheelchair assistance - this was by far the easiest, least stressfull trip I've ever had. AND - I had first dibs on seats and could select the bulkhead where there was a lot more leg room! Another tip was carrying a couple baggies with you so if you need ice, you can have the flight attendant give you some and you're good.
 
Hello @Bluetechseeker So glad to hear you had a successful trip. Congratulations on all your accomplishments including the much needed sleep!!!! :yay:
 
Wow, must be something with the cool mountain air - I slept from about midnight until ELEVEN O'CLOCK this morning! Geesh, I needed sleep, but I've felt behind myself all day as a result. I remember trying to get up a couple times and just could NOT, it was like being drugged. Hopefully, that'll be enough to help get me caught up and my sleep will get back to normal - though it felt good, I just couldn't do that every day!
 
Boy, my knees are NOT fans of stairs - I'm doing them, but boy can they make me sore in the evening. I'm trying not to over do, so if I know we're going out and about, I keep the stair climbing to a minimum. But, if we're staying home for the day, I'll make a point of going up and down about four times. Is that too much? Too little? I dunno :umm:Regardless of the amount, I do feel sore in the quads, directly above the knees BUT that's exactly where they also feel sooooooo weak. So, I'm just toughing it all out. I've taken pain meds each evening, but they don't feel necessary during the day. Been doing lots of elevating, too.

I'm actually going to see my four month old grand daughter!! :dancy::dancy: We're going back to Orlando on the 20th, my OS FUP is the 22nd, then I fly to Atlanta on the 25th. I'll be there about a week, then back to Orlando. I can hardly wait to smoosh her all over :)
 
Blue, Glad you are having fun and doing better! Just taking pain meds at bedtime is great! I haven't done any stairs...I could start trying but I will wait a little longer I know it has to be painful so take it easy.
Have fun seeing your granddaughter I know it will be a lot of fun! Enjoy and take care of yourself!
 
You're still really early in the recovery process. And with the MUA, you actually start the time clock again with that date. Stairs are the most difficult activity so it's probably a bit too soon to be pushing yourself to do them. A time or two is okay, if you must go up and down. But I wouldn't do stairs right now just for the exercise of it. You're still healing. There will be plenty of time to strengthen your leg muscles at the 6-month mark or so. The fact that you're having so much pain with doing the stairs 4 times in a day should tell you it's too much. This is a time for patience and for listeniing to what your body is telling you.

Enjoy that granddaughter visit!!! It sounds like fun.
 
I have been wondering how your travels were going. For some reason your posts from Monday didn't show up until today. So glad to hear the plane ride went well! You go girl with those stairs! Your legs will look magnificently toned by the end of your stay. It was good to hear that the change of scenery is making you so happy. Enjoy your stay.
 
I am so happy to hear how well you are doing!!!! The weather up here is beautiful this week..... :)
 
I'm so glad that you're SLEEPING!!!

Hooray! I hear you about the stairs. I'm good at going UP but still want to angle myself coming down. I've been practicing in the pool at the gym since there's handrails on each side.

I suppose since I walked so oddly before, it's going to take some work and patience.

Hugs and hang in there!
Jacki

PS grandbabies are the best - mine are why I overdid it yesterday lol


BTKR 01/14/2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Well, my "big" job today? SWEEPING! :snork: Yeah, hubby ran a little vacuum before I came up, but the place obviously needed a lot more work. So, I spent the morning shaking throw rugs, moving small tables, and sweeping two bedrooms, bath, kitchen, large living room, and stairs. This is my FIRST extended sweeping escapade, and it turned out just fine :thumb: Took a couple breaks, elevated, had lunch, and now elevating and watching a ball game. I figure since I was up and down the stairs a number of times yesterday, I'd take it easy with those today. And, of course, there's still lots to do (dusting, organizing, dishes, etc.), but I'll pace myself :wink:

Didn't sleep great last night, a bit of tossing, but still waaaay better than a week or so ago. I'm sure enjoying the break, the change of scenery and weather. I love the chill, especially 'cause I don't have to stay out in it!! :heehee:
 
Thanks for the info, im only flying for 1 hour and 15 minutes. I wont need a wheelchair or ice as long as I get a aisle seat for my right leg. Being tall doesnt help. Im going on 8 weeks on monday. Time sure does fly . LOL. Grandbaby 4 months already. I think I remember when baby was born . Do take care of yourself Blue. Best wishes . Iceman
 
Sounds like you are having a good vacation in CT. You are keeping very busy too - all that cleaning and taking breaks is very smart. We are finally having a stretch of warmer temps in NH. I have been doing the stairs in our house for quite some time since I moved back up to the second floor 3 weeks ago. I find if I have to go up and down a lot it really works my thighs. At first my home PT was having me go up and down with one crutch and holding on to the banister. Now PT has taught me to go up and down without crutches and I have been doing this every day now. I also do the side step coming down, that will be for awhile I am sure. It's interesting with bilaterals deciding which leg to lead with when you are going Up the stairs. The PT said to just choose the stronger knee/leg.

I am curious about a few other things : Do you have any trouble sitting on low seats at the house or at restaurants or places you go? And a little personal - did you have to sit on an elevated toilet seat at first? And when were you able to sit on the toilet without the raised seat? I wonder too about the movie theatre and the low seats there? Have you been to a movie yet and how was the seating there? There are so many public places I am now trying to visit and think beforehand about the obstacles? Any Advice? Thank you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom