TKR Blendab1 meets her new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yey for Fenway coming home:yes!: Breda I do leg lifts while I watch TV.....not millions say10 on each leg. Try that on the GRU leg a few times a day. I have now added weights when I do mine.....you can use a bag if rice or some other soft packed dry goods from the pantry across your ankle for weight. Maggie x
 
good job on the ROM Brenda! and yes, I agree with your, those stairs are scary, if you have to do them the correct way! But I also believe that you will achieve that milestone in order to get Fenway back home with you where he belongs! Keep on keeping on! You GOT this!
 
Good Morning!

I slept really well last night just woke up to take my meds and then went back to sleep till 7:30. I got up made myself a cup of coffee and got ice for Gru. I then reclined back and next thing I know it's almost 11 am. I guess I was really tired.
The weather here is going to be great so I asked my son if he could go for a walk with me before he goes to school. I'm praying this happens as I need the fresh air.
Question for everyone, do you do your PT exercises everyday? I'm not in pain but today but I'm swollen. Considering the progress I made I feel I need to do them, or should I just do one set?
Thanks in advance for all your wise wisdom, you are all the best people and I'm grateful we have crossed paths.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
No, no, no! Moderation in all things -- I think rest is just as important as therapy. Allowing our muscles a day of rest surely can't cause any significant setbacks.

And congrats on the sleep! I'm still not making it through the night but I am sleeping for longer periods of time.
 
Thanks, I planning on just icing and maybe that walk!

I must be exhausted because I feel like I could sleep again, so I'm going to let my body dictate what it wants to do today.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Agreed - I would do gentle stretching and the walk and clearly you need to sleep and keep up with the protein, you are doing some heavy duty healing!
 
Rest is such a huge part of healing, and I'm with Teresa--be sure to notice how much protein you're consuming. I have had to constantly add since my usual amount is on the low side. I still get wild cravings for slabs of red meat (which I had not eaten for 15 years or better before surgery) and I give in. I always feel better for several days, so have been adding it in lately when not craving. (uh…duh. :))
 
Brenda I'm with the others. Listen to your body. I skip days occasionally and I have also been known to stay in bed snoozing until lunch time. No rules in this game except listen to your body and go slowly. Hope you are still in sloth mode Maggie x
 
I heeded all your advice and I have slept most of the day. I can't believe how fatigued I am today I feel completely exhausted and I have not done anything physical. I have been having protein daily but I may need to bump it up a bit to see if that helps. I can't even say it's the meds as I am taking them every 6 hours with no ill effect.
Thanks again for the sound advice, I need another nap:)


Brenda aka Bionic B
 
Yey for Fenway coming home:yes!: Breda I do leg lifts while I watch TV.....not millions say10 on each leg. Try that on the GRU leg a few times a day. I have now added weights when I do mine.....you can use a bag if rice or some other soft packed dry goods from the pantry across your ankle for weight. Maggie x

I have done the same since the beginning while in the recliner I always try to do something...leg lifts,toes points...little here and a little there......

Vinny
 
Don't go crazy on those stairs, but practice them a little bit every day. Unless like today you really felt your knee was saying "I need a break." Remember--the knee is boss and will tell you what's what. :)
 
Thank you, I just rested the whole day and followed it up by another good nights solid sleep. I did manage just to do my stretching exercises to help with the ever constant tightness.

I told my PT that I didn't exercise yesterday and she, like the rest of you, said that listening to my body was the best thing I could do. I did my workout today and was able to maintain my 95 ROM so I was a happy camper. We both went outside for a nice walk this morning and it was heaven, the only way it would have been better is if the sun was out. She even gave me permission to go outside on my own and take walks as long as I am up to it. So, with Fenway coming home this weekend I know that I will be out walking him about 4 times a day so that should not be an issue.

What I really need to do is work on getting this swelling down. I elevate everytime I am in my recliner and I ice it as long as I am sitting down. PT suggested I start massaging it gently often during the day as that may help. What have you all done to combat this? I swear if I was not swollen I would be doing much better on my extension and ROM.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I know both Lyn (Ellejay) and I did legs up the wall regularly - I asked my PT about it and he said that was a terrific practice...I would stay in that position for several minutes then back away a bit and do wall heel slides. It's exactly like is sounds - get your rump as close to the headboard or wall as you can and extend your legs so that they are up the wall and chill out for a while, an extreme version of elevating but it really works. You could also stroke downward on your left leg to encourage the fluid to drain out.
 
Thanks Teresa, I am going to ask PT To help me with the wall slides. I've been massaging the knee more today to see if that helps too.


Brenda aka Bionic B
 
Reading with interest! At 9 weeks, I have the same issue. Once the knee is warmed up, I have good flexion and extension. But most times, I shuffle along with the cane due to stiffness and swelling. Gonna try the "legs up the wall" thing!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My PT taught me that on day 1 and I like it..my only problem seems to be when I do it on the floor my pups think that I am down there to play or they just want to lay on top of me and give me kisses . mind you they are both 80#...Gotta love the 4 legged babies ! Hope you are feeling better today Brenda !
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom