TKR Blendab1 meets her new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
@cheetahdriver did it give you enough elevation for your leg? I really like the idea of only using one pillow, presently I have to use three to get my leg elevated and straight. Off to Amazon to purchase one! Thank you for the suggestion.
 
@wberry I think I have an appetite and then I start eating and it becomes a struggle. I am hoping that when I start walking outdoors this week that will help with the appetite. Granted I could stand to lose another 40 pounds so I hope the appetite does not come back with a vengeance to put it all back on, lol.
 
Brenda,

The single wedge pillow did fine for me. The one I linked to is 12" high at the base. For the short time I was using a "pillow pile" I had troubles with them sliding off to the side. The wedge never did for me, and the 12" angle was high enough to get my knee above my heart.
 
@wberry I think I have an appetite and then I start eating and it becomes a struggle. I am hoping that when I start walking outdoors this week that will help with the appetite. Granted I could stand to lose another 40 pounds so I hope the appetite does not come back with a vengeance to put it all back on, lol.

Had to laugh at that! I'd dropped about 12 pounds in two months due to loss of appetite. Pain and drugs are a double whammy! But I wasn't that unhappy about it since I was 20-25 pounds overweight going into the surgery. But just noticed that I gained a pound or two back and that won't do! :-)
 
Had to laugh at that! I'd dropped about 12 pounds in two months due to loss of appetite.
I was amazed to find out that I lost fifteen pounds due to the lack of appetite. I did find those pounds, but, because of the BTKR,my lifestyle changed and I dropped close to 40.

After a TKR or a BTKR, the activity level can really increase, making it easier to lose and keep off the weight.
 
Hi Brenda. How are you going? Dropping a bit of weight is great and I agree with Ref54 that our activity levels will increase as our knees heal☺ which should make the battle of the bulge a bit easier.
Hoping Gru is being good. Cheers Maggie x
 
After a TKR or a BTKR, the activity level can really increase, making it easier to lose and keep off the weight.
@referee54 this was one of the deciding factors that made my primary Dr. set up the initial appointment with my OS. Being a type 2 Diabetic, if I can lose the extra weight then I would be free of this disease.
Right now when I am hungry I am choosing healthier choices as I really would hate to put this weight back on right now. I am sure once I get clearance to start walking outside (we still have snow out there) it will help maintain my weight loss.
 
Hi @Maggie94, Gru is doing his best to be good but he swells up easily whenever I do any activity so I have to keep him under wraps when I am not doing PT. I can't wait for my compression hose to come in today so I can see if they are more comfortable to wear as compared to the wraps I am using now.

I really can't wait to be active as I am going stir crazy now 15 days Post Op and I am ready to climb the walls, lol. :rotfl:
 
I hear you Brenda....stir craziness is definitely a TKR side effect. 15 days post...wow time flies. I'm interested in you experience with your compression hose....
Last night I wore TEDS knee hi compression Sox to bed, didn't wear them tonight....yes I notice the difference on leg comfort. They will be back on tomorrow
 
Congrats on the weight loss Brenda! I can't believe you still have snow outside, poor thing. I recall going nuts at about two weeks so you are right on course :) I hope it warms up soon - it helps so much to be able to go out in the fresh air.
 
Thanks ladies! I am going to beg my PT to take me out tomorrow. I really do need to feel the sun on my face. Maggie, my socks are do today so I'll let you know how it goes.


Brenda aka Bionic B
 
I've been wearing the knee sleeve when I go out shopping and wow, what a difference! It has really helped with the stiffness and I have far less swelling. Used to be when we got back from an afternoon of shopping, I'd have to ice and elevate the second we got home. The compression sleeve really works! So glad my OS recommended it.
 
Mine came in and I have had it on all afternoon. It made a great difference! My leg feels great with it on and it's not painful behind my knee like the wrap was. I am going to take my shower and then I'll wear when I'm done. I'll take it off when PT shows up, although I did my exercises while wearing it and it didn't set me back.
Man, I wish I had these last week :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I might have to check into one of these compression sleeves..I had PT this morning and it was absolutely BRUTAL...I was already sore from my home PT that I did yesterday on my own...I could hardly walk after and I had to go to pick up my new meds and had to wait 1/2 hour...when I got up from the chair, almost feel on my face! Where did you order your socks from Brenda? Groot is on time out right now!
 
If it helps anyone, just thought I'd share: I have two different kinds of sleeves. First off, make sure you look for a knee compression SLEEVE, not a brace. Two different things: braces have padding and sometimes a hole in the knee area that helps to keep the kneecap and surrounding ligaments stable. The goal here isn't to keep our kneecaps stable, it's to apply compression that assists blood flow and reduces swelling. Secondly, I got one by Tommy Copper that I bought at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Tommy Copper's sleeve is thin, and made from nylon and spandex. Got another one by McDavid which is thicker and made from neoprene that I use for my non-op knee since it's been complaining lately. Both Tommy Copper and McDavid have websites so if you can't find them locally, you can order them. I had to buy XXL because I'm bottom-heavy and have fat knees but they come in all sizes. If you need a size larger than 23", they may not have them in the stores but they definitely have them online.
 
@Spencieca I ordered mine from Amazon but according to my PT they are a tad too small, so I am going to check out what @SeptemberZen recommended as I really do feel better when I am wearing it.

I hope that Groot is out of time out by now, Gru said that he needs to calm down and behave!!!
 
Post Op Day 15:

I had PT this morning and she was very impressed with my progress as I was on my own the last three days. I actually got my ROM to 95!! Last Thursday the best I did was 85 so I am super pumped about this. For some reason she does not measure extension but I am sure that is getting better as well.

We practice climbing up and down the stairs the "normal" way as I told her I want my dog to come back home, I miss him terribly and I know my daughter will be glad not to have to watch him anymore too. The stairs were easier than I expected and she said next week we will work on one foot per step next week, this seems so daunting but I think after three weeks it should be fine.

Have a great day everyone, I am going to take a nap as last night was a very restless evening.
 
At 2 months, I am JUST starting to go up and down stairs the normal way, but it's not easy! Quads are still weak but it's definitely getting easier, especially going upstairs.
 
I think she knows that this is a hurdle I want to tackle as I want my dog Fenway to come home this weekend and that will mean I have to go up and down the stairs numerous times to take him outside. He is like the carrot at the end of the string that I need to catch :)

I am impressed with how much my quads have grown stronger that I really need to start working on my right leg so they will be equal.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom