TKR Blendab1 meets her new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never tried the leg up the wall thing either but will certainly ask my PT guy when he comes for my 1st home visit this Saturday. Everyone is spot on re: the topic of listening to your body when it calls for rest or protein.
 
My PT taught me that on day 1 and I like it..my only problem seems to be when I do it on the floor my pups think that I am down there to play or they just want to lay on top of me and give me kisses . mind you they are both 80#...
I have three labs and they would do very much the same!

I never did the "legs up the wall" trick, but if it works and you are seeing success, I say, "Why not?"
 
Massage can definitely feel good. Just remember there is no such thing as instant results with a tkr. Swelling can go on for many weeks despite all the good things you do.
 
My PT had me do stairs every session this week. I was 274 at surgery, now I am 254 and still loosing. Like you wait until I get more active. I think I can drop an additional 30 pounds. My wife has me on a heavy healthy diet, and with my small portions it is working out. Like you I am hungry, but as I eat I lose my appetite quickly, and I even noticed my jaw starts to seize up the more bites I try to take, weird.

I am stretching every hour or so. And taking it easy in between home PT sessions.

Keep up the good work.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've been out of the loop guys but i do check posts for any info that will help me on this journey. I am a new smartphone user. I'm having fun with it but I still prefer using my dinosaur desktop for web/internet stuff however I cant sit at computer very long. It gets very uncomfortable. Brenda, I hope your swelling eases up. Days 8-10 were bad swelling days for me. I think the swelling & bruising were more painful than the surgical site for me. The tightness was awful & my outer side of knee was as hard as a brick. I was losing my cool a bit & getting frustrated & weepy. Most of my leg & foot were purple. It looked like a giant eggplant. The one thing that made me feel better is massaging my leg...so for 3 days i focused on this. I had been walking like a zombie for a yr. because bending the knee was so painful. I expected my muscles to be tight. It waa hard to do excercises because it felt like my whole leg was frozen. After a few days of massaging i felt the knots melting away. I forgot to ask the doc today if i should use compression stockings. They seemed to help you a lot Brenda.(& you other gals as well) I may call him today. Its 4am i want to (need to) talk but i feel like i can go back to sleep for a bit. Brenda, Vinny, Maggie,Josephine (names i remember) thanks for your feedback. I always look forward to your advice.
 
Brenda, I told the doc today how much i have been massaging & he said definitely continue it. I hit a brick wall on monday & the swelling was not going down . I felt like my leg was one big cramp. So much better now. After traveling 6 hrs to the dr. Yesterday i really needed to work out the cramping. I would add massage to the "elevate, ice & rest mantra. I love the reminders from Josephine & Maggie about icing & elevation. They keep me focused. We made it..2 wks out for me & a bit more for you. YEAH! Have a good day.
 
Hi Brenda - how are you?....I don't know what's happened but I am not getting alerts:bawl: Do my posts come up on your alert thingie??? Maggie x
 
@jfiori54 welcome back and keep massaging it helped me immensely particularly in a hot shower ...the compression stockings are normally put on right after surgery,in my case right in the OR,to reduce the possibility of blood clots........if they feel good and help with swelling that works too......@brendab1 hope you are getting plenty of rest....problems with alerts for me too @Maggie94

Vinny
 
@vinny....thanks re alerts. Was having the worst night last night...posted an no responses...felt very alone and unloved

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Thanks @vinny....just a rough patch...its passed.

@Blendab1 Brenda how are you going? Is Fenway home? How are you doing on the stairs?....cheers Maggie x
 
Hey I am at 99 and 7 respectively. I don't think
I will make 0 until this bulge swell on the top of my knee goes down.

How's yours coming?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am happy to report that my Fenway is home and is currently sleeping alongside me while I ice and elevate!! It was tough taking him for a walk when we first got up as it takes a while for the knee to wake up but I did it, we walked half way around the block. I was exhausted when we got back but Fenway's needs are going to whip me into shape :) Today it's snowing so it will be a bit tricky out there but I am going to super cautious for sure!!

I asked my PT to show me the wall slides but she said not yet, we did a few more weight bearing exercises and next week is my final week of in home PT. I will start outpatient on Monday, 4/6 and I am pretty excited as she said they have a bike and other tools that will help me get that hamstring to finally loosen up.

Enjoy your weekend everyone, I have to do some housecleaning as I have the work girls visiting today!!
 
Yay for Fenway and Mommy reuniting!!! I know the 2 of you are happy! Take it easy on the walks. He will be fine to just do his business and go back home..at least until you build up your stamina. .dogs do very well at adapting to their humans needs..

Hope you slept well last night! Snowing again? We have been having a heat wave here in San Diego, we sure sold use some perception. .I think you will enjoy the different things that out patient PT has to offer. I never had in home PT..but my PT has bikes, treadmill,leg press, different size of stair boxes etc...Have a great weekend!
 
@Maggie94 I did get your alerts but I have no been online for almost two days as I was given a 1000 piece puzzle to work on and I have been sitting down (which is good for me) and working on putting it back together. The picture is of Fenway Park so I am enjoying it immensely.

Yes, he is home and we are both so happy! My son drove me to my daughters,45 minutes one way, to get him last night. He was so excited when I walked in the door he started to bark like crazy, which is something he never does. He kept sniffing my all over to make sure it was me and would not leave my sight. He is currently sleeping along side my good leg and we are both content. I do have to admit that the car ride was miserable as I could not get in a comfortable position.

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend, I need to go do some more cleaning as my co-workers will be here soon!
 
@jfiori54 I am glad to see you online and hope that you are doing better today. I agree that the bruising hurts more than the surgery. I purchased some Arnicare Gel as someone recommended it for the bruising and it has helped. I bruised the whole length of my leg and they are finally diminishing.
I hope you are doing better and can post more often, the sitting down will get better, I just sit and when I feel tight, I stand up for a minute and stretch then will sit down again.
Have a great weekend and know that I think of you often!
 
Hi Brenda...how fantastic to have your box home. Does he recognize that there is something "funny" with you. Thanks also re heads up on a jig saw. Great idea.
Alerts are now coming thru...obviously a gremlin attack:dubious:

Have a great day. Maggie x
 
I'm sure Fenway will make an excellent nurse, if nothing else, our pups are great at providing extra sympathy when we need it most. And he'll provide motivation for staying active!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yeah for Fenway!! And if I'm anything to go by, the big bulge over your knee will be there long after you reach zero - my Doc told me yesterday that it would probably hang out for a few more months.. Lovely!

Glad to see you are doing so well, keep it up. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom