TKR Blendab1 meets her new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Brenda...so pleased to hear that you are feeling more alert. Good luck with the knitting....I was not able to concentrate on anything at day 5...not even that silly game Jewel on my phone. I did not have any bruising so can't comment first hand on the techno leg show....my roomie in rehab had a beauty so I got to watch hers. Have a great day Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Day 6 Update.

I can't believe that tomorrow makes a week since the surgery, time is just flying by! I finally had a great nights sleep, I slept for 8 hours with the exception of waking up for a couple of minutes to take my meds. My PT is going well and after I have some breakfast I will do my exercises as I am on my own today, no in house visits. My current pain levels would have to be in the 2-4 range as I have been more active but it's not unbearable. I did have to take a muscle relaxer yesterday to help with pain management as I had 2 hours left to go before I could take more pain meds. That did the trick and it will be what I will do if needed. I am sure once all the bruising I have heals things will feel better. My bruising now covers the complete backside of my thigh and all around the knee. I have been taking pictures daily as it changes that much.

I hope everyone has a fabulous day and @kaw205 good luck on your first day back to work, I will be thinking of you!
 
congrats on the GOOD sleep, I am envious! I haven't slept more than 4-5 hours at a time since my surgery almost 3 weeks ago! But I do take naps during the day and that does help...And you are right, time does fly by! Have a great weekend and you will do fine by yourself today, just remember to ice, elevate, rest and take meds!
 
Sounds like you are managing very well Brenda. Great sleep cannot be beaten. Just remember to go slow through the day and to rest n ice. Maggie x
 
Today makes 1 week since my surgery and I am truly feeling blessed with my results. Had a great round of PT and did actual weight bearing on the bad leg and it was not bad at all. The worse exercise of them all is the straight leg raises, I still can't do it without assistance and was told that by week two I should see a big improvement.

Food wise I am eating three meals a day but not as much as I use to so I am trying to focus on protein the most. Due to being diabetic the MD at the hospital sent me home with a testing meter and increased my meds as the stress of surgery had an effect on my numbers. They even gave me insulin shots at the hospital a couple of days. So, I am working hard to get back to a carb reduced diet. I think tomorrow I am going to weigh myself to see if there has been any weight loss :)

So the Reader's Digest version of the post would be I feel great and am pleased with my results so far!

Have a great day all!
 
Thanks Maggie. It's hard to believe how heavy and dead that leg is, but the pain reminds me why, lol.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks Maggie. It's hard to believe how heavy and dead that leg is, but the pain reminds me why, lol.
It is like the leg has gone on strike.

I remember it well---trying to get something to move that seemed to not pay any attention to what they brain was telling it to do---like there was sort of language barrier!
 
Isn't it the weirdest thing when you know that you are telling your leg to get off the table and it just stays there? I was shocked the few times it simply refused to work, I found if i just nudged it up with the other foot it worked the rest of the time.

Sounds like you are doing fantastic! Don't be bummed if the scale is not cooperative, based on the pathetic amount I was eating I expected to lose a ton but when I weighed myself I was actually slightly UP! There is swelling and the ahhh - digestive delays as well as some retention from the narcotics. When I stopped the percocet last week I lost 3 pounds in just 2 days and changed nothing else. Of course many also do lose so hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones in that category.
 
Hi Brenda,
Congratulations on making it through week 1 :dancy:.
It will only get better now!
I remember using a strap to lift my leg for at least a week and then, one day I lifted it onto the bed without even relizing I did't use the strap. Log leg will be gone soon!
I didn't go near the scale until the swelling went down. My weight stayed pretty much the same. Maybe down a pound or two.
Keep up the good work, you're doing great!
Karen
 
Thanks for all the support, in my heart I know I am doing wonder based on the feedback from my PT person, she is still in shock that this is only day 7. My session this morning went great but this afternoon Gru was very cranky with even the simplest exercises. So I did as much as I needed to get that good stretch. Now I have ice wrapped around the knee and it's very elevated.
My stomach is also unsettled this afternoon and I don't know why as nothing has changed food or drug wise. My poor son wants me to eat but I just can't face food right now, I hope once my leg settles down my tummy will too.
I have had the poop fairy do her magic yesterday so it seems I am on every 3 day schedule and I am sure it will be daily once a day once I eat more.
Okay, now I am going to try to sleep so I can be awake for Dancing with the Stars!
Good night everyone.
 
Day 8 Post Op

I walked the full length of my apartment without my walker, I was so stoked about that I may have cried tears of joy. Now if I could only do my leg raises.
I have been experiencing a lot of pulling in the area under the knee cap and I think it's the staples. They come out Thursday and I can't wait as I think it's hindering my progress. I love how my PT is not numbers oriented and she stops when I say it hurts, I'm truly blessed having her.
I am icing after my PT and I will then take my first home shower as I can now get in and out of the tub, so happy I learned this.
Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!


Brenda aka Bionic B
 
Yeah for the maiden voyage without the walker!! Such a good feeling :) Best feeling in the world though is getting those staples out!!! Course they will slap steri strips right on over them but it really does make a difference in the scar you get so it's a fair trade and the strips pull a little but the do not pinch like those metal meanies!
 
Yay for the trip without the walker and YAY for the poop fairy! I do think she is very underrated sometimes :) When I first started walking without my walker I felt like I was on cloud 9! I don't use it any longer, but will get a cane for when I am out longer than a few minutes..I have noticed that my stamina is still very short lived...I will be at 4 weeks tomorrow, I can't believe how fast this has gone by...I feel like the lucky one, I didn't have staples or stitches, I was glued together..but I have had the stitches before and it gets MUCH better once they are out! You are doing great Brenda, and do try VERY hard to eat something every 3 hours..your body needs fuel to help heal, its like a gas tank..can't go with out the fuel...maybe smoothies? Any how, Groot says hi to Gru!!!
 
Yey to the solo walk...big WIN☺
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you are doing wonderfully! It does feel so much better when the staples are gone-I loved it when mine were removed. Way to go with all your milestones!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good morning all!

I went to bed for the first time without any ice and I was able to sleep for five straight hours, at which time I took my medication and went back to bed and this is when I have trouble falling back asleep as I'm not in pain but the knee feels achy. I just can't get comfortable regardless of what position I am in and this makes me crazy. I think tonight once I wake up and this happens that maybe I will just switch to my recliner as I want to sleep due to taking less naps.

Is this common? And do you get what I mean about the ache not being pain?

Also, my blood sugar levels have improved dramatically! Seems the change in my meds is working and also that my body is not stressed out.

I am so looking forward to going to the OS tomorrow as I am getting stir crazy. I want to take a walk outside but we still have snow on the ground as it takes a while for 5' piles to melt.

I pray everyone is having a very good knee day!


Brenda aka Bionic B
 
Go you! I iced all night until...last week? LOL - not much of a joke, it was at least 5 weeks, I was just much more comfortable with the ice than without.

Totally get the achy thing - my completely uneducated guess is that comes from the bone getting used to the implant invader, not a comfortable thing.

Also totally get the stir crazy deal - all I can say is when you look back just a wee bit later this will all seem to have passed so quickly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom