Guest viewing is limited

TKR Blendab1 meets her new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
The time does feel like it's passing too quickly, 6 weeks did feel like an eternity but at the rate the days are flying by I will be back there.

I didn't use the ice to see if that was what was causing the achy feeling due to the slight weight of the ice but it must be the bones growing attached to the implants.

I hope tomorrow when I go to the OS that they will take films of Gru and see how perfectly fitted he is :) but I am more excited to be rid of these staples and the waterproof bandage as it's restricting my movement.

I think I am going to attempt a nap before PT gets here at noontime.
 
YAY Brenda and Gru!!!!! My Groot aches at night every night...I sleep maybe 2-3 hours a stretch...the last 2 nights between the hours of 11 and 4 I am up every single hour to go pee...This is making me a bit cranky in the mornings...I cannot believe it has been 4 weeks for me...sometimes I look back and feel like it was yesterday and other times it seems like Ive been dealing with this for a year! Im hoping to drive this week! I get stir crazy, but I also went out at least 1 time a week since the day of the surgery..not sure if it was the right thing to do, I did hurt a lot, but once I was back home on the ice and in my bed I was OK..I needed to be out for my mental health..Hang in there and have a great day!
 
went to bed for the first time without any ice and I was able to sleep for five straight hours, at which time I took my medication and went back to bed and this is when I have trouble falling back asleep as I'm not in pain but the knee feels achy. I just can't get comfortable regardless of what position I am in and this makes me crazy. I think tonight once I wake up and this happens that maybe I will just switch to my recliner as I want to sleep due to taking less naps.
That was more or less what happened to me---I would fall asleep, and then I would wake up and could not get comfortable---I was not in any pain, but I could not get comfortable. I would wander around the house looking for a place to sleep. I was like Diogenes---but instead of looking for one honest man, I was looking for one good night's sleep. I tried the guest bedroom, the couch, the futon, and finally I threw the futon mattress on the floor and tried to crash there.

My OS admitted that he really did not know what caused this problem. I tried Benadryl, melatonin, Tylenol PM----nothing seemed to work. Finally, I gave in and took the OS up on his offer to write me a prescription for Ambien. I took it for ten nights and it re-established my sleep pattern.

Other than the length of time that it took for my recovery, the sleep issues were a close second on the most frustrating aspects of my BTKR recovery.

I even played a a gazillion MSN Pinball games on my computer---and it was on one of these very-late-night forays that I discovered Bonesmart.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Brenda, sounds like you are doing awesome. I've been comparing notes & makes me feel better when I see that what i am experiencing is the same as someone elses. The staff here really dont talk about what our concerns might be. I also have quite a colorful back of the knee. So i have learned what i could do to ease the discomfort. I see your doc was an artist as well. I was happy to see tha
 
Ok i keep getting interrupted and lost my post. Sorry guys...i will try later again.
 
@referre54 I won't worry too much about the sleep until it's close to returning to work, and I'm going to try to get into bed before I doze on the recliner as that may be a factor.

@jfiore54 I'm glad things are going well for you too and it is amazing how my questions we have are answered by following others.

Now for a major announcement....I did an unassisted leg raise. WOOT WOOT WOOT! It's so funny how I could not do this yesterday and today BAM done on the first try. I can't wait to show PT this one as she said it would take a couple of weeks. Gru is in beast mode.



Brenda aka Bionic B
 
Now for a major announcement....I did an unassisted leg raise. WOOT WOOT WOOT! It's so funny how I could not do this yesterday and today BAM done on the first try. I can't wait to show PT this one as she said it would take a couple of weeks. Gru is in beast mode.
These small victories are certainly worth celebrating!!!

They all contribute to winning the battles and being fully recovered!!
 
Chortles I did a lap of honour my first heel raise. Was a very small lap and very tight circle, dizzy nooo oooooops

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi Brenda....it will be the CanCan next LOL. Well done. Nest thing you will be swinging Gru onto the bed without even thinking about it. Keep smiling and taking the little WINs:yes!: Maggie x
 
Hey Benda:


It's @wberry your surgery twin. Unlike you they make me go out to do my physical therapy. But like you I have to same problem with the straight leg left and bringing a leg up in the first place. Haven't done the walk without the Walker yet I barely can do it which it seems like sometimes. But today's physical therapy was interesting and that they stuck me in a bunch of cut and shins and I had to stand up without using the walker or my hands and I did it like seven times. I go to my surgeon on Monday to get my staples out let me know how it was when you go because I saw you were going tomorrow. Let's keep working hard will get there.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Maggie94 lifting my leg onto the bed happened today right in front of my physical therapist, she was stoked!

@wberry I will let you know how it goes, I'm a little nervous as I know it may pinch but after what we went through last Monday it should be a piece of cake.




Brenda aka Bionic B
 
I hope tomorrow when I go to the OS that they will take films of Gru and see how perfectly fitted he is :) but I am more excited to be rid of these staples and the waterproof bandage as it's restricting my movement.

I think I am going to attempt a nap before PT gets here at noontime.

I think the staples were the worst part for me, too!
 
I am praying that when the staples get removed today that constant tightness feeling will be gone. Had a fairly decent night slept 4 hours solid, took another pill and then proceeded to toss so I went to my recliner and got a few more hours sleep. Once I can sleep 7 hours like normal I will feel like I've won, lol.


Brenda aka Bionic B
 
Hi Brenda. I did not have staples I had disolveable stitches. My knees feel like the skin is stretching when I bend them. They feel tight with swelling....this reduces with icing. Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
And doing lots better on sleep than I am. Had another night of tossing and turning even though my wife gave me some organic sleep pills. My knee mind never likes any position sometimes. Only vinnys side sleep produces some help, but then for only short stints. Don't forget to let me know how the staple removal is. Mine is on Monday.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It DOES feel better without the staples - not quite as much better as I had hoped (in my case) but definitely better! And the removal didn't hurt - I didn't feel most of it, there was a bit of pinch on the last two since they had more scabbing. As you said, nothing compared to the annoyance of having them IN.
 
20+ staples have been removed and now I'm covered in steri-strips. The removal was a piece of cake and only a couple bleed a little. The PA
Was happy with everything but my swelling so she ace wrapped my leg and was told I need to wear it at night while elevating. I am not happy about this as now my leg feels uncomfortable but I will remove them for PT as I am not able to get any bend. Has anyone else have to keep their leg wrapped?
Here's a picture of Gru Day 10 prior to staple removal!
[Bonesmart.org] Blendab1 meets her new knee



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom