TKR Blendab1 meets her new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to work already? Congrats, you are doing so well. I hope each day gets better for you. It's been a challenging 2 months hasn't it? I saw your post about the massage with the roller & I bought a small paint roller to try it. Works great & feels great! I had a few bad days with back pain but today is a much better day. Wishing you well & don't over-do it.
 
Day 2 at work did not goals well yesterday as I didn't have a good nights sleep due to an afternoon nap. I'm staying awake today and once the swelling is down, I'll do my stretches to help loosen up the tightness. Fingers crossed that tomorrow will be a piece of cake.


Brenda
 
Awee..sorry to hear that Brenda...hopefully you will be tired tonite without the nap...one step at a time my friend!
 
Sorry Day 2 wasn't better - here's to day 3! Sleep well tonight. I have a call with Malaysia from 7 -9 tonight...seriously, on day 2?! But there ya go, decided to take the conference call while riding my bike, at least I'll stretch the knee and might just stay awake!
 
Well not being a lady but hope you are ok today

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Sorry Day 2 wasn't better - here's to day 3! Sleep well tonight. I have a call with Malaysia from 7 -9 tonight...seriously, on day 2?! But there ya go, decided to take the conference call while riding my bike, at least I'll stretch the knee and might just stay awake!

Great idea I love that stretch you get on the bike


20/01/2015
 
Hi @Blendab1 - I thought you might like to get a snapshot of where you are in the process of healing.

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and the medically acknowledged approximate timeframes for our bodies healing phases and processes.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Nutrition plays a huge part in surgical recovery, in fact it is one of the 'forgotten topics' of recovery..

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know
 
Post op 6 week checkup!

I had the worse night of my recovery last night as no position was comfortable and like a dummy do you think I tried the recliner??? Well, if tonight is more of the same, I'm going to sleep in the recliner and hope it works.

My 6 week check up was suppose to be tomorrow but my Doctor has a family emergency and the wanted to see if they could reschedule to May 18th. I said I didn't want to wait that long so could I see the PA? Sure, how's May 7th? Nope, not going to work as I have a stitch that broke through my scar, ok hold on please. Next thing you know I'm asked to go in at 2pm.

The PA was able to pull it up some and then clipped it, it didn't hurt but it caused a hole in my scar and some bleeding so it has to be covered till it scabs due to possible infection. This did not make me happy. She also informed me that it looks like another one may pop through and I'm to call immediately if and when it does. Why the heck they didn't dissolve I don't know!

But, I save the best for last! She was concerned about my swelling and I explained its because I went back to work, she wanted to sign me out of work but I told her I financially could not do that. So I have to keep my leg wrapped while at work and during my sleep time and if I'm not at 120 by time my PT sessions are over I may have to have a MUA. My visits end on May 12th. I asked if I'm close to that range by that date can I get more visits approved as I want to avoid MUA as much as possible. I was told to call the office at that time and we will discuss. This really has me down as I have been taking the slow and steady course and was doing ok until this week.

Well, my leg is wrapped, elevated and iced and I'll be this way for another hour and praying it works!! :)


Brenda
 
if I'm not at 120 by time my PT sessions are over I may have to have a MUA. My visits end on May 12th. I asked if I'm close to that range by that date can I get more visits approved as I want to avoid MUA as much as possible.
I don't know why PAs say things like that and now she's got you worried.

Your knee is progressing steadily and is doing well, considering you have had to go back to work early.

Very few surgeons do a MUA once your ROM is past 90 degrees and there's really no need to rush to get ROM anyway. Do you remember these articles from the reading recovery list?
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

It's probably the swelling that is inhibiting your ROM, so concentrate on getting rid of that - rest, ice and elevate as much as you can, and do nothing else when you get back from work. Don't go exercising madly in an attempt to increase your ROM, because simply going to work is enough exercise.

Finally, to show that ROM can continue to increase for a year or even more, one of our members (thank you, @Campervan ) posted this about her slow, but steady, increase in ROM. She didn't have a MUA.
"I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months"
 
There is no way you need a MUA. Is that the PA or the Doctors standard?
I had staples, so didn't deal with stitches. I had one little hole, but they just stripped mine.
I kept wearing my hoses during the day and it kept my swelling under control. I stopped wearing them last week and the swelling is not any worst.

I am sorry you had such a bad experience. I would not agree on the ROM comment at all. My OS felt 90-100 was plenty good for a ROM at the end of PT. I did PT today at the new place, and even with the swelling from yesterday I got to 115, only down 5 from my 120 without the swelling.
 
Brenda - hope you have a better night tonight. Sleep is so important for our recovery but can be so elusive at times.
 
Oh goodness Brenda, sounds like things have been a bit rough lately...I wouldn't worry too much about the MUA, talk to your OS about it...but I do have to admit that my MUA worked wonders for me, Im glad I did it and I would do it again if I need to..Sorry you couldn't take off more time..hopefully this weekend you can get some rest and get the swelling down...My 8 weeks was a turning part for me, maybe it will be for you to??? Hang in there!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom